BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #gammaslice-3 | 2021-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Gamma Slice is a puzzle game based on cutting the corners of squares containing triangles. The triangles are of four different colors. When they match, they disappear. How many can you clear from the well after 20 cuts?

Controls:
Arrow keys - Position the scissors
O (Z) - Flip the scissors
X (X) - Cut

The scissors will cut along the diagonal of any given square and flip the triangles inside!

Code & Sound: Derek Andrews

Graphics: Jeff Barr

This game was a submission to Nerdery Game Jam 2019.

Updated 5-21-21 to fix a small compatibility issue with updates to PICO-8 particularly where the title screen used btnp then did a while loop on btn waiting for it to stop being nonzero.

1 comment

Cart #colorways-0 | 2019-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey everybody! I've been digging in pretty deep to PICO-8 lately, and loving it every time I do. This is my third game created with the engine and I really do enjoy it.

It's called COLORWAYS, a cross between match three games and THREES.

Use the arrow keys to slide pieces around to make matching colors/faces to rack up points.

Enjoy!

3 comments

If you boot up PICO-8 like this:

./pico8 -home $(cd .; pwd)/data/

Then the splore command has a weird bug: Updating the "New" page shows nothing in the "New" page and instead the "Featured" page shows the results that were fetched from the "New" category!

This bug is not present if you boot PICO-8 normally without a custom home dir.

(Also, the above weird $(cd .; pwd) command is the only way I've found that will allow me to make a portable version of PICO-8. Using "." will break the "cd" command in PICO-8 so I have to construct and pass an absolute path. Which is a second bug, perhaps I should open another thread about that.)

0 comments

-
Trapt (A Dungeon Puzzle Game)
My first game, Enjoy.
Version 1.2
--Includes a remaining health bonus and an optimal steps bonus upon escape
---This will allow you to get up to 3000 extra points added to your score if you complete all 16 levels without one extra step
--Just a reset button, this comes with a price of one life... use wisely
--Official Pico8 button Glyphs instead of "B"
Version 1.3
--Better mechanics for vase collision
--Improved health and score system
--If you have a score 100 and above a restart will result in a loss of 100 points, if you have no points it will result in a loss of 1 life.
Version 1.4
--New start menu, now shows "Items" and "Controls"
--Backpack inventory added, allowing you to collect and strategically utilize items throughout the game
--Lottery system at the end of each level, this allows you to acquire an item if you have available backpack space
--No more "curse", it is a "virus" now
--When infected the whole game will change color

--Items and uses
---1.) Food - Used to gain 1 health
---2.) Vaccine - Used to cure virus
---3.) Med Kit - This is a full heal, it will restore your health to the fullest 16/16, as well as cure a virus (if infected)
--Controls
---Z is your submit button, and it also opens your backpack in game.
---X is a cancel button, and it also will restart your level in game.
---Enter pauses the game and brings up the Pico 8 Menu.
---Arrows will allow you to move your character up, down, left, and right.
Version 1.5
--Rotten food added
--Better vase mechanics and placement
--More accurate lottery pick at the end of level
--Food poisoning added to the game
Version 1.6
--Lighting added thanks to @Remagamer
--Better looking start screen

6 comments

Cart #bists-38 | 2019-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[0x0]
[0x0]
[0x0]
Bists have a brain with 23 parameters that governs how they behave, how much HP they have and how fast they are (more HP = less speed). They are aware of their nearest green bist, the nearest red bist, as well as the nearest food source. The decide how to move towards or away of these things, how far to look for their closest bists and food, when to switch their color, how often to think, and when to slack off and slow down their falling HP. When their HP is full they give birth to offspring that has randomly mutated parameters.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #dopohomito-0 | 2019-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Object
: Destroy all the meteorites
: If miss meteorites over 10 then it's game over

Control
: Press <- or -> to move left and right
: Press X to fire

1 comment

Cart #squibidi-1 | 2019-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SQUIBIDI is my entry to the #7DBL jam happening on itch.io where you have to design a game in the same style of Micheal Brough games. In SQUIBIDI, you play as a squid that is trying to escape from the underwater kingdom while every other sea creature is trying to stop you. You can shoot ink in the opposite direction of the movement to kill enemies or change direction or you can drift with the water to recharge your ink capacity.

Controls:

• Arrows: to shoot ink and change direction
  • X or Z: to drift with the water current and recharge your ink

Tips:

• Try not to hit anything as ram into object cause 1 damage to you, only do it when necessary (you can kill enemies by doing that)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

In a game that I'm working on, I tried to create some 'magic' for my game states by triggering a state change when a global variable is modified:

-- ditto for _update and _init
function _draw()
 cls()
 local action = {
  [0] = title_draw,
  [1] = menu_draw,
  [2] = marathon_draw,
  [3] = gameover_draw,
 }
 action[game_state]()
end

-- later, something changes game_state

What I ran into was what I assume to be scoping issues; variables were present in the game state that shouldn't be, or had stale values, etc. So I'll try to phrase my question in a way that might make sense: How do I cleanly separate game state from the API? I want to avoid massive _init, _update, and _draw functions if possible, so I'm able to focus on one game state at a time.

My apologies if this is a stupid question. I don't have a formal background in programming, so everything I know is self-taught and as a result I don't know the jargon to look for to find my answer.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

i'm working on a game about an ice skating asparagus. benmonster.com
added a crowd background, with signs. and added one sound effect. its pretty bad ass. :)

Cart #gus_on_ice-2 | 2019-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #laser_blast_3-0 | 2019-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Laser Blast! 3: Fury of the Wizard is a 2d 8-bit rail shooter in the style of Space Harrier. Enemies will periodically fly towards you. Shoot them down while avoiding their attacks. When the sun sets, defeat the level boss to win the game.

Controls:

• Directional keys: Move around
  • Z key (X button if playing on mobile): Shoot

Story:
You are Atom Girl, an advanced robot capable of star flight. After narrowly escaping Garlock-7, you travel to a nearby planet with an unusual energy signature. This planet, Jubai-12, is overflowing with magic. While you explore the surface, magicfolk suddenly launch an ambush against you!

Made in 10 days for DreamHack Summer Jam 2019.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #divisibubbles-1 | 2019-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #divisibubbles-0 | 2019-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An arcade/puzzle game that will challenge your reactions and your wits.

Tap the bubbles that contain a divisor of the number shown at the top-left corner of the screen. When you've tapped them all, the number will increase and more bubbles will appear.

But time is running out. A wrong tap will cost some time. A successful tap will gain some time. Can you get to 100?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #bounceball_deluxe-1 | 2019-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first ever pico-8 game, which is of course based off the first tutorial in the first zine ("squashy"). Very predictable, I know. Just about the only thing which makes this one different from the hundreds of others is that the ball will occasionally turn orange and start obeying gravity. Oh, and the colour choices aren't quite as ugly, among other quality of life improvements. I also used Mozz's smoke tutorial from the same zine, and Pixel's "THICC TEXT" plugin. I think it turned out well!

5 comments

Cart #custom_spirals2-1 | 2019-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yeah, first one.

0 comments

Cart #hihejomugo-0 | 2019-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #intothedarkness-8 | 2019-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hello! my name is rob and i'm a musician and graphic designer but I have been learning to code over the last 2 years. This is my first post on the BBS, as well as my first video game! so please be nice and don't hesitate to reach out with feedback or questions!

INTO THE DARKNESS! is a roguelike game with 15 different enemies, 9 different weapons to pick up and 4 unlockable/upgradeable classes!

2 comments

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there exists CSS code that I could use to post code on a website and have it look like the Pico-8 code editor?

Thanks
-Mike

4 comments

Cart #tuesdayswithbenmonster-5 | 2019-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a work in progress. using the videos on nerdyteachers.com for help.
check out my show at benmonster.com

0 comments

Cart #mgiyamuru-1 | 2019-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Finished my last vacation surfgame project during my current vacation. Added a nice startscreen, results, persistent highscores and polished gameplay. Entirely* made at the beach and the pool on my pocket chip device.

With nice california beach tunes from dirk aka cloudriver.org

Have fun!

*OK, not the sound. This was done later at the pc. :-)

2 comments

Cart #kebisufoyo-1 | 2019-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this is my pico-8 debut. Brutal Quidage, freely inspired by ZX Spectrum game Fantastic Voyage.
You have to fight aggresive desease.
Control micronaut and kill everything you see.
Large blobs produces small enemies, which transform into blobs when mature.
Find shield and activate it for help with infested areas.
Do not overheat your gun.

controls:
movement - arrow
z - shoot
x - shield
hold x for map

Enjoy

0 comments

Cart #ls_and_bbs_stats-0 | 2019-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This thread is intended for the sake of researching particular (and most likely undocumented) parts of PICO-8's STAT(), that @zep didn't reference in the PICO-8 manual. The cartridge above also shows a new way for PICO-8 game devs to read the root-folder cartridge list with LS() (you must be on the desktop PICO-8 and your root directory must have at least 1 cartridge).

If you, Zep, know anything about the STAT() numbers not seen in the manual, can you tell me what they are for? People have figured out these for the BBS 101~104:

• STAT(101) -> BBS ID (nil for local carts)
  • STAT(102) -> Site name (blank string in exported HTML's, nil in desktop PICO-8 builds and exported binaries)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->