Follow
twotwos
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #gamesetmatch-0 | 2020-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In order to stave off death by boredom and feel like I'm getting something productive done while stuck at home, I made a game! It's an 'educational' game about venn diagrams. Trust me, it's at least a little bit more fun than it sounds. A little. Big thanks to @gearfo for finding a way to draw venn diagrams! And one last note, don't look at the code. It's rather messy.

P#74439 2020-04-03 06:45

With circfill(), it's easily possible to draw circles everywhere, and even draw a circle with another circle cut out of it. But how would you draw the intersection of two circles, like the middle section on a venn diagram? I can't think of an easy way to do it. What I'm really looking for here is a way to shade arbitrary segments on an arbitrary venn diagram. Can anybody help?

P#74152 2020-03-23 22:06

Cart #weird_golf_game-1 | 2020-01-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Remember Bounceball Deluxe? That game that took the world by storm and unexpectedly got millions of downloads and worldwide critical acclaim? No? Weird. Well, after making that and being instantly promoted to celebrity status, I didn't stop working, despite having enough riches to live off the game's success alone. No, in between the TV interviews, I was making a couple other games, just for fun. But those two went totally under the radar. And fans of Bounceball were left wanting more. Well, nobody knew it, but I was also secretly working on a third project. And now, it's out of hiding. The highly anticipated next installment in the Bounceball series is finally here: Bounceball: Golf! This spinoff/sequel includes many exciting features such as:

• At least one level! (probably more)
  • The ball from Bounceball!
  • The paddle's in there too (tell no one)
  • System where a simple mechanic is explained 3 different times because none of my playtesters were ever able to figure it out!
  • A contrived plotline!*
  • Absolutely no music!
  • Extremely simple visual design that fans of the original Bounceball are sure to love!
  • Too many exclamation marks in the description!
  • Some of the worst code I have ever written! (Somebody please tell me how to do bezier animations)
  • Gameplay almost nothing like the original game!
  • Questionable level of colorblindness support!
  • my dad really liked it
  • A cutscene!

*Due to budget constraints the contrived plotline was not able to fit within the game itself. The collector's edition** has it printed on the back of the box; this one has it here:

Ball and Paddle - probably not their real names but they never reveal them to the press - were the best of friends, having great fun playing Squash together every day. But one day, Ball strayed too far out into the red-line forest, and wasn't able to find their way back. In their epic journey to find the Squash arena and meet up with Paddle once again, Ball will have to learn how to do things they thought they never could, break out of the constraints of the incredibly predictable game world - and find a new friend along the way. Or something like that, anyway.

**still in development

update: you will now be severely penalized for holding in Z.

P#71897 2020-01-13 09:01 ( Edited 2020-01-14 21:37)

Cart #twotwos_weird_snake-1 | 2019-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this game ages ago but just didn't publish it at the time. I think that's because I thought that it just wasn't polished enough, and besides, the world doesn't really need another snake game anyway. I... still think that, but my standards are now lower. So, yeah, this is just another snake game. It's got some different modes, at least! They're all pretty good (except maybe Janky mode, I don't know what I was thinking), but versus mode is the coolest in my opinion. It's a hardcore 1v1 snake battle to the death.

EDIT: You can now hit X instead of Y to start Versus mode with a grey snake instead of a blue one, in case you have tritanopia or just really dislike the colour blue.

P#68958 2019-10-17 08:32 ( Edited 2019-10-26 22:25)

Cart #corruption_race-1 | 2019-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There are many carts on here that involve corruptions of existing games, but as far as I can tell this is something new: a game designed to corrupt itself from the start! Whether this makes for good gameplay is for you to decide. Spikes increase the rate of corruption, so you should probably avoid them. Go fast, and try to reach the end before the corruption takes over everything. You'll want to reset the cart if that happens. Good luck!

I haven't made this game alone, because it's my second on pico-8 and I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel. The biggest help came from @mhughson's Advanced Micro Platformer, which formed the base of the whole game. Without it, this game wouldn't have really been possible (or at least wouldn't have been as good), so big thanks to @mhughson for releasing it! The music is "Dimensional Gate" from @Gruber's Pico-8 Tunes Vol. 2, which fit the game very well and added one of the best consequences of corruption where the music goes all weird. I also used @qbicfeet's horizontal distortion effect, which triggers (for no good reason) when a randomly-selected byte gets corrupted. Finally, I took inspiration from Jelpi's corrupt mode, but altered its corruption code to be more like the "RANDOMTILT" mode from the Real Time Corruptor (also an inspiration for this game). RANDOMTILT has a chance of simply incrementing or decrementing ("tilting") a byte instead of setting it completely randomly, making for slightly nicer corruptions.

P#65249 2019-06-18 09:35 ( Edited 2021-02-27 06:00)

Cart #bounceball_deluxe-1 | 2019-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first ever pico-8 game, which is of course based off the first tutorial in the first zine ("squashy"). Very predictable, I know. Just about the only thing which makes this one different from the hundreds of others is that the ball will occasionally turn orange and start obeying gravity. Oh, and the colour choices aren't quite as ugly, among other quality of life improvements. I also used Mozz's smoke tutorial from the same zine, and Pixel's "THICC TEXT" plugin. I think it turned out well!

P#65047 2019-06-07 08:11 ( Edited 2019-06-07 08:12)