BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #catreeboard_alpha-3 | 2024-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Catreeboard is a typing game that helps players practice their typing skills. By successfully typing words on the next branch, the cat will jump in an attempt to avoid rising flood waters. I'm making this in collaboration with my son of whom is learning to type.

Roadmap

• Main game mode to have levels and calculation of score (based on wpm, accuracy) in addition to infinite scrolling as it is now.
  • A losing condition with water rising from the bottom of the screen.
  • Sound effects (jumping, game over, etc).
  • Music.
  • Better thought out dictionary.
  • Customized cat color.
  • Customized difficulty.

Changelog

0.7a:

• Expandeded dictionary to over 80 words per word length (6 levels)
  • fix: No back-to-back same words

0.6a:

• Implemented challenge mode!
  • Game over screen at the end of challenge mode with metrics displayed.
  • Added menu option to end a game early.
  • Expanded camera capability to scroll in both directions.
  • Improved accuracy from being reduced for hitting non-letter keys.
  • Improved pause behavior.
  • fix: Uneven flood rise.
  • fix: Restore camera after background draw.
6 comments

Cart #orbz_1-0 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Orbz is a single screen arcade survival game, where you manipulate your size to stay alive and get high scores.

Collecting pickups will make you bigger and score you points. Shooting makes you smaller so make sure you are not small otherwise you will have no ammo!! Once you are at max size you can explode to destroy everything on screen and score massive amounts of points.

Controls:

Move using the arrow keys.

Shoot using Z (O button in pico 8)

Explode using X (X button in pico 8) when max size

Collect the small black pickups to grow in size and score points

Made as a solo project as part of the GMTK Game Jam 2024.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #wowbzige-1 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a parkour game and so fun
thanks for play my game and
thanks for guidance
3>

1 comment

Cart #hijayawime-0 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all. My first post here. I was a game developer for years, and I've only recently discovered Pico-8. For fun I did a quick and dirty port of one of my old mobile games - Bouncing Brendan - about a fat penguin who wants to fly, but can only manage to bounce on ice cubes.

The aim of the game is basically "the floor is lava". Your score resets to zero if you touch the frozen lake, but goes up each time you bounce on one of the ice cubes.

You can hold down X to frantically flap your wings mid-air and slow your descent a little, too.

I'm looking forward to getting more stuck into some proper games on this platform. This little port was just to get familiar with how Pico-8 works!

0 comments

Cart #frozencaves-0 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

itch io link
https://antibrain.itch.io/frozen-caves

Frozen caves (READ CONTROLS BELOW)

ESDF to move, Space to jump, W to throw a rope, R to throw a bomb.

Space to select (when in a menu)

Use the mouse to mine tiles and interact with things in the mine.

TAB for menu (Not enter or p!!)

If you're not a fan of jump being space, you can change it in the tab menu.

If you are having issues with lag in the mine, try clearing objects while in the town. (3rd tab menu option)

Story

Legends tell of a massive treasure at the bottom of the mines, but none have dared to venture so deep. Until now, that is. Madeline, an aspiring spelunker wants to see if its as hard as the stories tell. Lucky for her, She has people willing to help her on her quest! Lani and granny have set up shop in the town, and offer services to help you improve your mining. Lani will buy any ores you find, and granny owns a shop where you can buy a variety of tools that will help you get deeper in the mine.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

https://itch.io/jam/arcade-rewind-jam-the-80s-maze-craze

A new jam that'll last 18 days based off of 80's arcade games!

0 comments

Facebook so kindly reminded me that my PICO-8 journey started roughly 8 years ago with the PocketCHIP.

Yeah, yeah...the PocketCHIP didn't turn out to be a keeper but PICO-8 certainly was. Since PICO-8 came pre-installed with the PCHIP, I figured it would have a built-in audience constantly looking at new games (a la Playdate today) and that sounded better/easier to me than throwing games into the void. That dream didn't quite turn out but I'm thankful it brought P8 into my hobby sphere and has continued to be a fun way to fill time and live out some childhood dreams of making games for people to play.

Thanks to @zep for all the effort and making a fun platform to create, play, and share games. But more so to all the people in the P8 community over the years that helped me stay motivated and make games. From code to assets to theory and beyond, THANK YOU.

1 comment

Cart #fruitdog-0 | 2024-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! First post on here!!

Here's a little puzzle game I've been working on on and off over the summer! Please enjoy!! Let me know if you discover any bugs etc. I feel like I've learned a lot about both level design and finishing a project with this one :]

Here's the itch page! https://raiain.itch.io/fruit-dog
And of course the wonderful music is by @Gruber from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1 https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29008

7 comments

Hi,

Would it be possible to add bbs_path to config.txt like we have now with root_path and cdata_path?

This would greatly help support for custom firmwares like muOS (https://muos.dev) which is one the most popular ones for Anbernic devices (RGxx line).
One example would be allowing the muOS user to decide in which of the 2 sdcards they'd like to have their pico-8 emulator. Right now it is only possible in SD1 and this means that each time the SD1 card requires an OS reflash, the user needs to backup their content and restore it afterwards.
By enabling SD2 to store Pico-8 emulator, all its data will always be save, along with their roms and other relevant data.

Thanks

0 comments

Cart #karomijhi-0 | 2024-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #gadgedofe-0 | 2024-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this parkour game try this
npg=new parkour game

2 comments

Thank you for clicking on this blog post! I have something very special to share with all of you.

This is a mod called "Pipe Dream", which has been in the works for many months now. Some of you in the Celeste Classic discord server may have seen this already, but for anyone else, here are a few videos of the type of content to expect in the full game.

Here we can see one of the several core mechanics, the water! Everything underwater is shaded too, which makes for some really interesting looking levels. The background tiles and ground tiles are supposed to give a sort of encrusted or run down ocean-y vibe, which i feel it does somewhat well in their current state.

Oh! theres the elephant in the room, and a big elephant it is. "water is cool, but its just water! do something special!" Well, i have a treat for you! This mod is a Metroidvania! That means that backtracking and spitting paths are common, and sometimes you wont have everything you need to get to an area, so youll have to explore around a bit. This gif shows multiple exits and backtracking, which was a pain to get working and optimise, but it came out really well.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

jam build

Cart #yohadabugo-1 | 2024-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

make bigger squares out of squares! (only the max size one disappears)

controls

press directions to move the block
hold a button and press a direction to alter how you move it
"slow" (Z/C) moves blocks the minimum distance instead of their usual distance
"super" (X) launches the block in the direction pressed. you can only launch blocks upward once per block, and doing so lets them (currently permanently) nudge other blocks

(also, pressing both buttons activates a debug hitbox viewer)

this is my gmtk jam 2024 game (also submitted here https://doubleatam.itch.io/square-up )

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

This was the very first Celeste Classic mod I made.
This was made for a stupid sibling or something idk.

Cart #mountaingame-3 | 2024-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

How do I delete Pico-8? I've just bought it a little bit ago with no experience in devving. It looked simple enough and it was a waste of money.
No I do not want tips, I want my money back. Please do not come and tell me how I can fix this, tell me how I can get a refund. Make your app as simple as it looks.

16 comments

Cart #ccgym-3 | 2024-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CCGYM

This is a tutorial mod to help new players learn how to perform most speed tricks and glitches.
Inspired by Strawberry Jam's Gym levels

Thanks to rio for the idea :D

1 comment

Cart #kfidudita-0 | 2024-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Use the mouse to place the tongue. Use the scroll wheel to retract it.

Game Loop

Collect the white orbs to gain score. Avoid the pink enemies.

Credits

Music by @gruber_music. Everything else by me.

2 comments

Cart #squirrel_animation-0 | 2024-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

made an animated squirrel, gave up on legs and paws as it is too difficult even though I got the forwards and backwards constraints working

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->