BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #firestarter-0 | 2023-08-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

firestarter

Some small game I have been working on that I managed to not quite finish.
There are some bugs I still need to adress and I don't like how the transitions turned out.
Fixing the issues requeres a lot of the code to be rewritten because the current version is a bit messy.
Would like some feedback on wether the concept even works too.

1 comment

Cart #laserrangefull-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

have fun :3

7 comments

any unfinished ? command outputs garbage errors:

?5+
?5>>
?5>>>>>>
0 comments

Cart #scannies-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small little scanline test I made out of boredom..

I know it isn't top-tier, or the most efficient, but I tried, atleast.

If you care a bit for how this was done, I basically set a couple FOR loops, get certain pixels' color, retrieve a certain value from a table, set a pixel with the recently retrieved value from that table at the position of the pixel that we retrieved its' color from, and, then, repeat that ~8192 times, and then you got some mediocre scanlines! :D

I get that was a bit vague, but if you want a more detailed explanation, just look inside the cartridge.

(passive aggressiveness not intended.)

2 comments

so i didn't know if i was gonna share this or not, but I've spent a bit of time on this version.

Cart #teddbluemonv0_6-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Additions

battle system rewrite:
battle system was written a while back and needed to be cleaned up. now it is

battle loading:
battles can now be triggered by the init_btl() function. it is currently being used during NPC interaction and wild encounters, which work but are currently disabled. In addition, NPCs havea new interaction node that triggers a battle. You can try it out by answering "no" to the NPC.

code improvements in loading data:
cleaned up, rewrote, and overall made loading data neater and more token-efficient. a new read() function added to assist in this mission. All parts of the code written as table

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Pico 8 Linux Laptop

Intro

The guide below shows how to configure a laptop to automatically boot and launch Pico 8. The laptop will shutdown when the SHUTDOWN command is issued in Pico 8 console.

Requirements

Install Ubuntu

If Windows is installed use MMC / Disk Management to shrink the Windows partition.
Install Ubuntu 22.04 Server (e.g. USB - press ESC or F2 to enter bios);

After booting the Ubuntu 22.04 Server Installer:

• Select Install Ubuntu Minimal
  • If you want to keep Windows, make sure you are not overwriting the partition. Ubuntu will dual-boot if not installed on a full disk.
  • During installation, configure the administrative user. You will use this to update Pico8, etc.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #lich_kings_gauntlet-1 | 2024-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Compete in the ultimate tournament of the realm's most powerful mages. Do you have what it takes to rise to the top?

Controls

• Arrow Keys - movement
  • (X) set the target in motion, press it again to detonate
  • (C) dash
  • Enter/P to Pause Menu (Reset Cart to get back to menu)

(Alternative mapping to C is Z and to X is V)

Lich King's Gauntlet is also available on itch.io.

Description

In the Lich King's Gauntlet, you play as a wizard competing in a deadly tournament. Fully utilize your fireball and dash abilities in frantic combat against various types of wizards. Will you survive all the rounds for a chance to fight the Lord Supreme himself?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #space_face-0 | 2024-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

For TweetTweet Jam (or Toot Jam) 2024 - CODE MUST FIT IN 500 CHARACTERS! [expertly minified by PANCELOR - tiny version in jam entry] NOTE: This cart isn't minified completely and has sounds/restart for fun.

=== INSTRUCTIONS ===

Shoot the Space Faces as fast as you can!

Get get more points for shooting a space face faster!

Go for record time AND score!

Mouse to aim, mouse button to fire space lasers.

Press Z/X to play again.

WORLD RECORDS SO FAR:

Record Time: 3.8883s, Solitalker.

(Former Record Time: 5.8667s, John Romero.)

Score: 8200, George Broussard. (Tie: Solitalker.)

0 comments

Cart #prospectus-2 | 2024-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #rebutt-2 | 2024-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Bowmen

a silly little game about shooting arrows at murlocs

latest v0.2.0

Cart #bowmen-1 | 2024-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Basics

Become a bow-wielding hero in this game, battling pesky murlocs to reclaim the land!
Jump around, shooting arrows and setting fire to their tents. Collecting pickups as you go until everything's back to normal, oh and there's a blood moon every now and then...

edit v0.2.0

• aim assisted arrows
  • flame shot (get close to fire to shoot fire arrows)
  • flamespeakers behaviour revised
  • hp regen when moving to a new zone
  • removed help and torch lock mechanics

edit v0.1.1

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

I'm pretty sure this is a bug; I'm on pico8 0.2.6b / linux

You can turn on character wrapping with 0x5f36 / 24374, but it acts unexpectedly when you move the camera:

cls(1)
poke(0x5f36,0x80) --turn on character wrapping
msg='0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
?msg,0,0,12
camera(16,0)
?msg,16,12,13

Expected behavior: both prints should wrap at the edge of the screen.
Actual behavior:

There's a similar issue with p8scii "\^r" wrapping:

cls(1)
msg='\^rf0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' --note p8scii wrap at start
?msg,0,0,13
camera(16,0)
?msg,16,18,14
1 comment

Hey, I just updated my AppleThing to Monterey 12.7.5 and now I cannot run Pico-8 anymore though I have updated Pico-8 just recently and it had no problems or whatsoever until now. Does anybody face similar problems? I have not yet dug deeper in what could be causing failure but I appreciate any kind of help or information.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to any response.

Cheers! (:

4 comments

​Discord for updates - https://discord.com/invite/jRkuQh2nr8

now with new levels, an ending, and various physics/level revamps!

A demake of World of Goo in Pico-8, a physics puzzler where you build giant towers of goo to reach dusty metal pipes.
A proper modding tutorial will be released soon, it's fairly easy to figure out yourself.

This game uses my complex background editor - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=142282

• Press Z/RMB to hum and lead goo balls
  • Hold X/LMB to pick up and drag goo balls
  • Use MOUSE/ARROW KEYS​ to move the cursor
  • Press ​W/SHIFT​ to skip a level (I won't judge)

Cart #super_world_of_goo-5 | 2024-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

10 comments

Cart #dicebattledungeon-2 | 2024-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! This is my first time making a game, and I really jumped into the depths with my project!

Dice Battle Dungeon is a dice deck builder, where the goal is to go against stronger and stronger enemies and see how many floors you can go!

It isn't just a game of dice, there are multiple different cards that you can play to turn the tides in your favor. The top row of cards are your personal skills, which are one use per battle, but are replenished during the next battle. The bottom row is your current hand, and these cards, once used, are gone forever. Luckily, the enemy drops loot after battle, and on level up you also find your signature skill. These automatically get added to your hand in empty spots for more fun!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #laserrange-0 | 2024-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

my second pico-8 game is almost done :D this time its about lasers and reflection/refraction! :3

feel free to use any of my code in your own projects with or without credit :)

0 comments

Cart #melony-1 | 2024-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Info

This is my very first pico-8 game. You get to plant Watermelons and harvest them. You can go fishing in the little pond and you can also make Melonade (which is not a real beverage, I made it up ) with the harvested Watermelons. And there is a Fa*t Cat also who's blocking your way out of the Melony forest and force you to bring him fish and Melonades. Your goal is to get out of the forest. I think the game is a bit boring , mini games are very basic and repetitive but I put a lot of time into this game so I'm still proud of it.

Controls

Use (X) to do any action like planting, watering, fishing, picking up seeds, interacting. and (O) to exit from the mini games. That's it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #variations_vienna-4 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Variations: The Vienna

Description

16 variations of the Vienna opening played as white. These lines are chosen to be fun, for their attacking chances and dynamic play. They include common mistakes by black and how to punish them as well as how to respond to good play from your opponent. Practicing with this cartridge will give any player a good start to creating big problems for black with the Vienna!

Features

While none of white's moves are dubious, they are not necessarily the top engine recommendations. Because there is no 'right' move, a hint can be requested (see Controls). After completing a variation, the Stockfish evaluation is given. The player then has the options to either repeat the completed variation, move on to the next, or have the computer select a variation at random. The pause menu gives similar options but can be accessed at any time allowing the player to navigate to a specific variation or move to a new, random variation.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

ChatGPT 4o seems pretty good at writing Pico-8 code. (At least for simple games).

I asked it:
"Can we try something different? Like a simple Space Invaders or Galaxians style game?
I have 4 sprites in slots 1,2,3,4 with a player ship, alien invader, player bullet and enemy bullet respectively. Could you make a simple game where the aliens move left and right in formation, and the player moves left to right along the bottom of the screen?"

I got this.

I pasted the gif into the chat window, and it said:

"Awesome! It looks like the basic mechanics are working. Let's add a few more features to make the game more interesting:

Enemy Bullets: Add bullets fired by the aliens.
Player Lives: Track the player's lives and end the game when they run out.
Score: Add a scoring system for each alien destroyed."

Then gave me an updated version that looks like this:

Then I got worried that AI is doing all the work and I'm going to turn into the spaceship inhabitants in WAL-E. So I asked it to quiz me on the code and check my answers.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

I'm attempting to copy patterns and sfx from this cart:

To this cart:

After doing this paste, it says 28 new sfx were added. As you can see from the screen shots, the drum line (a horizontal line of notes) gets copied over 8 times.

Pasting to a blank cartridge behaves as I would expect.

I managed to gut my game project to just sfx so it can be easily reproduced. Thanks! I am running 0.2.6b on Linux.

Cart #dadupotoso-0 | 2024-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #bopewohegu-0 | 2024-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->