so i didn't know if i was gonna share this or not, but I've spent a bit of time on this version.

Cart #teddbluemonv0_6-0 | 2024-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Additions

battle system rewrite:
battle system was written a while back and needed to be cleaned up. now it is

battle loading:
battles can now be triggered by the init_btl() function. it is currently being used during NPC interaction and wild encounters, which work but are currently disabled. In addition, NPCs havea new interaction node that triggers a battle. You can try it out by answering "no" to the NPC.

code improvements in loading data:
cleaned up, rewrote, and overall made loading data neater and more token-efficient. a new read() function added to assist in this mission. All parts of the code written as table["attribute"] have been rewritten to table.attribute (i blame python for my weird writing of it).

monster and move data load:
the bulk of time spent on this update was used to make and debug the loading systems for monster data and move data. I don't feel like explaining it other than that this data is loaded at the start as opposed to before being used like the maps are.

in other news, i wrote a variation of the sprite compression system used in gen 1 and 2 Pokemon games. I'm not yet ready to share this, but you'll prolly see it in an update soon. the read() function was made for this part of the project. The important thing is that it finally works and really ups the scope of the game.

Next update

Currently i am very tired so i don't want to type too much more. I will say that v0.8 will be out soon. Turns out work goes a lot faster when you're not trying to fix the umpteenth data loading problem. One thing i want to get done before releasing v0.8 is finding a good title. If anyone would like to help with that, heres some LORE!

Lore

all the monsters have been blipped into our world, and have completely overtaken native wildlife in their small territory. These aliens are connected to the rhythmic phenomenon that got them here. instead of "capturing" you need to connect to their "rhythm" by petting them just right. Then a special device can blip them over to you for battling. I know this is pretty complicated, but ill have something better written for v0.8 and I'll answer any questions you have.

Anyways

Thank you for taking the time to check in! please leave any questions, comments, concerns, advice, or anything else for me to read!

taking notes on whats in v0.8 and it might come out in the next couple days so as to save the next couple major features for v0.9 and on

the first part looked like a old pokemon demo on pico

[Please log in to post a comment]