BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #one_bit_wonder-0 | 2023-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Because this needs drag-and-drop, the above web-embed is only to make the cart easy to download.
Source code available at GitHub: https://github.com/ChristopherDrum/1bitwonder

What is it?

This cart takes 4 1-bit images and combines them into a single image, where each "layer" of the image is encoded by its pixel color. Set your pal() to the image you want, then spr() as normal; that's it. Bit-planes made simple.

I've seen any number of 1-bit graphics games lately (especially with the Porklike sub-genre) and this could possibly quadruple the available space for sprites in games like that. Expand the environment and enemy types, maybe?

In action

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

When I'm starting a new game, I usually have arrays for different things. Like one array for enemies. One array for bullets, one array for friendly entities.

Then I always wonder, when the number of arrays grows, whether I should store everything in a single array.

Storing it in a single array means you have to check the type each time you scan the array. E.g. when a friendly bullet does collision check with enemy.

On the other hand, if you need to check against multiple types of entities, you need to scan through multiple arrays.

Is there any common approach to this problem? How do you handle this?

6 comments

Cart #wodkihepi-0 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #pongem-0 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PONG!

The classic game for the Atari, horribly remade!

Description:

This cartridge is a poorly done remake of the game "Pong" for the Atari!
Although it's different because the original Atari Pong didn't have an exclamation
mark in it's name, here's a visualization for that:

Pong (1972) <- Not cool, does not have an exclamation mark after it's name

Pong! (2023) <- Very cool, has exclamation mark after it's name

Anyways, this game uses my color collision system, which means that it doesn't have very smooth collision, although trust me it's playable, there's just gonna be some bugs that I haven't figured out yet. It also means that this isn't pure black and white, which would have been preferable. Luckily, I may update this soon and fix bugs, revamp the collision, and add anything else that would enhance the experience of-

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #marley_the_prompt_generator-0 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Marley the prompt generator

Marley has great idea's for games. If you want one, press X.
After having to think very hard, marley is too tired to do it again.

4 comments

Cart #sandd-0 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a simple sand game that can process around 3650 particles at 60fps.
This is my first time using the mouse input, so I'm not sure if it's working correctly.

1 comment

Happy 8th anniversary to Celeste Classic, here is my celeste-inspired ball physics game:

Cart #momos_momentum_grapple_demo-4 | 2023-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Momo's Momentum is a ball-physics platformer, where you help Momo the Mouse rescue her Mom from the mischevious Mr. Mobius. Use grapple hooks to build up speed and transfer your momentum to get around over a dozen platforming challenges inside a giant clock!

This is the culmination of working on-and-off for about 20 months, and leaving it be twice in that time frame. (Probably one-third of that has been active development). It's been scope creeped to heck, but I have a clear vision for it finally: I'm working to make six levels of this size (20-30 minutes for a first playthrough), with cutscenes, and bonus minigames. I'm in over my head and right now only have this one level to show for it -- but I'd like to share this level as a preview, because it took so much work to get here and I'm proud of it!!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

The GMTK came and went and I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to polish the game to make it a little more cohesive. Added features include:

• Persistent High Score
  • Fixed Power Up options
  • More powerfull Power ups every 5 levels
  • Balanced difficulty curve
  • More confortable controls for touchscreens
    And most importantly:
  • 2 Player mode!

Use the keyboard to control one of the ships! But beware, player2! Shooting will still be under a timer and if you get destroyed you will have to wait for cooldown!

This was a wonderfull experience and I hope you really enjoy this little project.

​Off to the stars!

Cart #asteroidont-2 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #zirusohika-1 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Well, its not a miracle.
Tutorial just shown how to make, not how to understand, but i really want to understand how 3d works and thats why im asking you guys. Does anyone have really good posts about 3d, maybe videos...?
I know that 3d graphics are actually projections of 3d coordinates onto screen, what i dont get is HOW they are projected. sometimes there is full camera concept, sometimes(like in 3d dots demo) there is just some magic functions that i dont a single idea how they are working. i know how DOOM's 3d works, more or less, its an easy concept, but "actual" 3d is just dark woods for me. Thanks for reading this.

6 comments

Snowfight.io for pico8 !

Cart #snowfight_io-0 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is a demake of snowball.io, a game by miniclip.

Control :

• Keyboard arrows to move
  • Mouse to shoot

Can you reach lvl 5 ? :D

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qvZJu7yTvtE[/youtube]

1 comment

Cart #snakeeee-1 | 2023-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I wrote my first game! It's a simple version of snake. It's got some features I'm proud of: dynamic sprites for corners and the head and tail, input queueing of up to 2 inputs, and art that is genuinely not as bad as I thought I'd make. I'd still like to add some things, like a prettier startup and game over splash screen, difficulty/speed settings, and a high score list, but this seems like an alright 1.0 as it is. If you decide to give it a try, please let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas to improve it!

0 comments

Cart #solorpgtools-8 | 2024-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Solo RPG & Hex Crawl Tools
By: TARC (Totally Absurd Roleplaying Company)

This toolkit contains:

-Dice roller and oracle,
-All oracles from the One Page Solo engine are included,
-Hex Crawl Terrain Generator,
-D&D/OSR Player Stat Roller,
-Dungeon Room Generator,
-Norse Rune Picker Story Telling Aid,
-NPC Generator.
-Plot Hook Generator
-Simple Number Trackers

I have been working on this project for over a year and I'm finally bringing it to the BBS. Enjoy!

--CHANGE LOG--
9/23/2024
-Changed how the rooms are generated. A room with one exit will no longer have it on the same wall. Same with two exits.
1/28/2024
-Updated the dungeon room generator to include a rudimentary sketch of the room.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #movandcoldemo1-0 | 2023-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This system is not my own original work

Tis a tweak of a tutorial's system

Following a tutorial by/on NerdyTeachers.com, I was able to whip up this simple collision demo with flag collision, camera collision, movement, and a terrible "music" track.

The tutorial link(s) are below for anyone interested!

https://nerdyteachers.com/Explain/Platformer/

Collision system:

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=132160#p)
1 comment

Is there any way to convert a data.pod file which I've salvaged from a game I made in 2019 back into the editor?

I saved the cart as a mac binary, and deleted the original copy, with the intent of sharing it with a few friends, but I'd like to re-export it to web. I can't seem to access the code, otherwise I would copy it as well as the sprites. I've inspected it, and I have the data.pod file which seems to contain all the code and sprites, but in a binary form so I can't actually use it.

Any help would be appreciated!

5 comments

Cart #versawriter8-0 | 2023-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NOTE: This is a desktop app. The tools that make it interesting and its user interface (mouse/keyboard) make a web version not so useful. I've embedded it here in the spirit of general availability to Pico-8 users via splore.

Versawriter-8

Recently I released Mystery House (Remodeled), a ground-up rebuild of the first graphic adventure game. As part of the creation process, I wanted to redo the graphics using a workflow similar to the one that Roberta Williams did back in the day. Versawriter-8 was built so I could build Mystery House.

Everything in Mystery House (Remodeled) was drawn in Pico-8 using this tool. There are 45 unique "full screen" images, plus a couple of dozen objects, stored in about 10K using this tool and compression method.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #medepobato-0 | 2023-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i made my first cartridge
i hope you like it im going to make it better.

1 comment

I don't know if this exists, but I think it would be cool to have a thread of Stuff You Might Not Have Figured Out From Just Messing Around Making Things.

Here's two to start with, from a musician perspective:

1. If you can, leave SFX 00 through 07 empty. It will help with adding music later - be that you adding music or because those slots can be used for custom SFX instruments that give a lot of character and flavor to compositions.

2. Decide how many channels to reserve for music. The 4 SFX channels of PICO-8 have to be used by both music and sound effects, and both music and sound effects benefit from having more channels - so think about which is more important to you, and which sound effects can interrupt each other. You can also, if some sound effects are only played sparsely (maybe you have a clicky sound while navigating menus!), try having one channel of music that is interrupted briefly by the sparse effect and then resumes.
1 comment

How do you do fellow kids! I gladly joined the club by getting myself Pico-8. And I really wish to learn it but I don't know how. I want to get to a point where I can handle all mostly by myself, only relying on help when it's something really specific. How can I get there? I feel committing sin doing the tutorials by typing the code for a game and I sadly don't understand programming code. I know Lua is an easy programming language, but it still feels hard to read. I really love retro games and want to contribute artistically or make some of them. I chose Pico-8 because I didn't want to use game engines with visual scripting and because of its retro charm.

3 comments

I am Gavin Watkins and I have made my first ever video game! This is it!

Story: A man in a blue spacesuit is selected to go on a sudden mission by the government, but has crash landed on a strange alien planet on his way to his objective. Help him to collect enough energy orbs to fuel his spaceship and escape the planet! Listen to his story and wisdom as it unfolds on the bottom chunk of the screen.

Instructions: Use the directional arrow keys to move the blue spaceman.
Use one of the buttons to show the aiming cursor. (C key on keyboards) This will help you aim and it will also speed up the reloading of your ammo (top left corner).
Use the other button to fire a laser blast! (V key on keyboards) This will decrease your ammo by 1, and if you hit the yellow enemy, it will kill it, causing him to re-spawn elsewhere.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #meowskivichmuncher-0 | 2023-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A silly little game for Art Fight 2023
by me for Meowskivich

(x) to open mouth, release to close mouth
(o) to restart game after game over

Eat the food! Don't eat the bombs!

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->