BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #fit_santa_00-1 | 2021-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's nearly midnight and there are still presents to deliver, and treats to eat!

Controls:

Press x to deliver presents and score points.
Press o to jump over vegetables and through obstacles.

Earn 5 seconds every 250 pts.
You can hold up to 8 presents, earning one back every treat you eat. Santa's magic also regenerates presents over time, and it gets more powerful the more calories he has.
Beware, Santa-ing is hard work and burns lots of calories. What's more, vegetables are super healthy to elven physiques and actually remove calories!
Get special treat and time bonuses every 2500 pts.
Reach 5000 points for the full suite of treats!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #nepusotipi-1 | 2021-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is Sprite Show 2 mouse only , a graphic tool for Pico8 users and more specifically for pixel artists and coders.
Sprite show is particularly useful for helping graphic designers to test the sprites they have just drawn without needing to code them. You can very easily make them move on a black background and on decors. If your creation does not work exactly as you want you could immediately return to the pico8 editor to improve it. In this tool the sprites are already drawn , and you can test all the functionalities . First of all, start by selecting the sprites in Sprite Bank then come back to the menu and click _Show and make your sprite coming to life. Have fun.

4 comments

Cart #adrift-0 | 2021-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Left/Right/Up/Down to move
Z - Jump / Cancel / Skip dialogue
X - Interact / Accept

A short story about finding a new home. I've made it in the spring of 2020. Back then I found myself kinda adrift, too: just moved to a new home, lost the connection to my past, the pandemic has just started and pushed everyone in their little rafts of apartments.

3 comments

Cart #confused_captain-26 | 2022-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

15 comments

Cart #star_beasts-4 | 2021-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Your ship has stopped in deep space to perform repairs. The crew are on a spacewalk when suddenly predators warp in from hyperspace. Save the crew!

Frantic shoot-em-up action inspired by 8-bit classics such as Uridium, Defender, Robotron, Asteroids and Thrust.

The controls are explained on the title screen.

You'll get a higher score the more risky your play:

• fly fast to get a score multiplier for each kill
  • the bogies evolve to more dangerous forms that are worth more points
  • you can earn big points by rescuing crew members far from the ship

There are four different ships. You'll encounter new challenges on later missions, and need to adapt your tactics.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

P3

Fast Match 3 Game

Cart #p3heilaut-4 | 2022-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it's a kind of zookeeper clone

bug reports and suggestions welcome

gameplay:
use arrow keys/dpad to move the cursor
press x to select the tile you want to move
change tile with any neighbour
you can only change if there is a match of 3 or more same tiles

to complete a level you must match a specific number of tiles, the number of tiles raises with the level number

time is always playing against you

music by Gruber: Picotunes Vol.2 Song 10 https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=62911#p

4 comments

Cart #notepool-0 | 2021-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a little toy that makes sound. Balls bounce around the screen and make different noises when they collide with each other. You can nudge the white ball around with the arrow keys. I tried to add some very minor lighting effects on the balls and to make the sounds respond to the force imparted on each collision.

The code is, of course, a mess.

4 comments

Here is something I've been working on since getting into PICO-8 this summer.
I wanted to share it before the end of the year...

picoknife

It's Yet Another Commandline Tool for manipulating .p8 and other files.
Useful for batch scripting, theming the HTML player, reverting mistakes, etc.

It has a git-like syntax: picoknife [command] [file] [extra args]

As of this version 1.0 there are 8 commands:

• map to export a map image
  • sheet to export a spritesheet image
  • sprites to export individual sprite images
  • label to export a label image
  • setlabel to apply an image to a .p8 or .p8.png or the HTML player
  • sethtml to modify the colors, icons, title, metadata of the HTML player
  • colorimage to apply 16-color palette to an existing image file
  • copy to duplicate a .p8 file with modifications

I will continue to add features. Currently only for Windows and Mac, sorry!

Downloads and README on GitHub:
https://github.com/rtouk/picoknife
The full HELP:
https://github.com/rtouk/picoknife/blob/main/HELP.txt

Cheers!
Touk

1 comment

The export command and the -export command line option do not flatten #includes when exporting a .p8.png file. A cartridge exported from a .p8 program that uses #includes cannot be run.

3 comments

Cart #bullethellin50min-1 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #bullethellin50min-0 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #trucolor256-3 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART in immediate mode type, load #trucolor256

VVhat's new ?

12/16/21
✅ Changed code so it will load any image, 3-bytes per pixel or 4-bytes per pixel such as images that include transparent layers. Thanks to @jo560hs for catching this error.
✅ Set the code to exit if you choose WEBSITE. No need for it to keep running.

Cart #mayasurama-0 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #bigiwemoja-0 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

[sfx]

This was an exercise I was doing in transcribing music from sheet music - in this case, the first Gymnopédies from Erik Satie's 3 Gymnopédies - and it actually turned out to contain a really interesting little technical challenge.
[hidden]The thing about Gymnopédies 1 from a PICO-8 perspective is that there are simply too many voices in the harmony to contain in four channels. So, obviously, arpeggios.

...but also, Gymnopédies 1 is a very calm piece of music - tormented (one is instructed to play this "Lent et douloureux", or roughly "slow and painful" in English), but emotionally quiet. The plodding beat of the piece is the low bass note on the downbeat, not the middle chords between them, and launching directly at full volume into an arpeggio is far too dramatic and disruptive. So the question becomes: how do you simultaneously fade in and out an arpeggio while arpeggiating?

Which, I mean, custom SFX instruments, of course. But I actually accidentally played myself initially, because the first thing I always do looking at a piece of sheet music is ask, "how large can I make the subdivisions?", and the piece is entirely in quarter notes, so I made my subdivision a quarter note. And if each measure of 3/4 is three lines, then I can't use arpeggios in the music SFX because they overlap - I have to use arpeggios in the custom SFX instruments.

...and there are more distinct chords in the piece than I have custom SFX instrument slots. So I have to compromise. And I can't do much shaping of the notes, because I don't have any subdivisions within them. It functioned, but I was not happy.

This version makes each line an eighth note. Because each line is an eighth note, each block of two quarter notes where I want my arpeggios lands either on the border between two four-line blocks containing no other notes or in a four-line block by itself...

...and therefore I can build my arpeggios directly in PICO-8 and let custom SFX instruments handle the fade-in and fade-out. I have six custom SFX instruments and all the arps are, very nearly, the exact notes in the score.

And I can do more shaping of the other notes, because they cover twice as many lines.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

I've just used the music() command (other than the game loop, that was the extent of my code) to play two music tracks (with 7 sfx).

function _init()
 music()
end

function _update()
end

function _draw()
end

When I came back to the sfx editor - silence. Pressing keys on the keyboard entered notes, but without the usual and expected sound.

I tested muting and unmuting to no effect.

Pressing space bar for playback had a positive effect - the track played back, and I was able to enter notes and hear them after that.

Tested running the cart again, with the same resulting silence.

I'm running Windows 10 and Pico-8 0.2.4.

0 comments

Cart #unblock-0 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

a not-quite-finished UI-layout helper based on the idea of working inside "blocks" which can contain smaller blocks - by default the full screen is a block, and then you can spawn smaller blocks inside of that, and inside of those, etc. you can print word-wrapped text into the current block, or if you do any custom drawing of your own, it'll occur in the current block's local space.

i abandoned this pico8 version, because even though i like how the layout API feels to use, when i tried to use it for a "real thing" it was feeling too heavy (token-count and performance-cost) to be practical - but outside of pico8, these penalties wouldn't be relevant, so i may take another stab at it (probably in a different context) eventually.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #timmy_2_the_grappling_hook-3 | 2021-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a sequel to my (very bad and DIFFICULT) first pico-8 game: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=84086#p
Hope you enjoy!

0 comments

Hi, new to the PICO-8 community (since today) and super excited.

So I'm doing the most basic tutorial and I can't figure this out. When I go to the sound editor, I don't hear the sound I'm creating with my mouse.

However, when I play my game, or when I play other games, I can hear sounds/music. Now from the tutorials I've seen, the sound editor auto plays as you "draw" your sound. Did the UI change and there's a 'play' button?

Because the sound works on games, I'm not sure this is an issue with my pi. Hoping somebody can help out, it's really hard to edit sounds by going to the editor and only previewing while running the game :-(

3 comments

Cart #monster_eye_1_1-0 | 2021-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A short RPG story inspired in old-school RPGs like Earthbound, Golden Sun and Pokémon. This is my first pico-8 game, hope you like it!

Find patch log for v1.1 at the end of the description.

Controls:

Arrows: Move player - Move cursor
X: Interact - Select
Z: Open menu - Go back in menu - Close menu

Premise:

You are Rio, born with the monster eye, a special ability that allows you to learn the abilities of your opponents in battle. You must stop the never ending winter by defeating the evil idols that reside in the mountain. To do so, you will need to learn abilities, level up your stats, and re-spec your stats accordingly based on the enemies you encounter.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #feedtoby_test-1 | 2021-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

I made this for the Yogscast Jingle Jam 2021

A Maze-based puzzle game where you control multiple characters, some of which have reversed controls.

More at https://geeitsomelaldy.itch.io

Cart #donttouchthegrussy-0 | 2021-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->