BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zimonanobu-0 | 2021-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tank controls, x to shoot.
This is a very rough draft of a game I'm making, I didn't want to deal with collisions so the tank can drive through the walls at this point, that should be fixed soon.
any advice is greatly appreciated as I am still new to coding.

1 comment

Cart #age_check-1 | 2021-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small snippet of code that asks the player for their birth date, checks if they're over 18 years old, and either passes or blocks them from playing whatver game is implemented in the cartridge.

If the player already passed the check once, it's saved in the cartdata, so they don't have to do it every time.

To implement this in your game:

• copy the entire contents of tab 1 into your game code somewhere
  • add 🐱ok=false at the start of your game code
  • add the 🐱init() call in the beginning of your game, but after the cartdata() call. If your game doesn't use cartdata, you may skip this step, but the game will ask for the player's birth date every time it's launched.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pinput_gamepad_tester-0 | 2021-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pinput gamepad tester cartridge. This won't do anything useful without Pinput, either if you download and run it locally, or if you install the Firefox or Chrome extensions for Pinput to play it here on the BBS website.

3 comments

Hi,

I wondered if someone could point me to any good tutorials that will give me some pointers into how to code 3D interfaces please?

If anyone remembers the game Frontier (Elite2) (https://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/frontier-elite-ii/screenshots/gameShotId,310350/) then I want to re-create something like the 3D starmap in that game, where you could navigate around different stars in 3d, getting information about the selected stars.

Instead of stars, I want to use a similar interface to view and select different projects I am currently managing, where perhaps the size of the "star" or project represented the budget of the project. Its position in the Z axis, might represent the duration of the project etc... and it x and y position on the 3d grid could represent some other parameter.

Basically, I'm tired of showing customers information in the form of spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations and would love to "fly" around the projects in real-time! Time to ditch the boring business software we've become so used to!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #forcefield-0 | 2021-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
Mouse to move cursor, click to spawn a ball.

This is a test to build versatile force field type diagrams. The magnitude is the map offset by 128 pixels, and the angle is the map offset by 256. Pixel color determines angle and magnitude(as a unit scalar).

The code is kinda messy, as I borrowed some of the objects from another project of mine.

[Playmap]
v128 pixelsV
[MagnitudeMap]
v128 pixelsV
[AngleMap]

0 comments

Cart #quantum_pong-1 | 2021-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

improvement and update for the pong

0 comments

Cart #switchstick-1 | 2021-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a beta build of a multiplayer vs game inspired from Spinstick, which was originally made by @db0z

Any feedback / bug reports about the game would be greatly appreciated!

Controls / Rules

left / right arrows - move player 1 (pink)
S / F - move player 2 (blue)

Hit the ball above the white line to pass play to the other player
If the ball falls off the bottom of the screen while you are the active player, you lose
You can tell who is the active player by seeing who's paddle is lighter

Changelogs

Initial Release

Added singleplayer mode, simply hit the ball to get a point, see how many points you can get
Added configurable settings for gamemode, gravity and switchline height
Added highscore to singleplayer mode, high scores can only be set with default gravity (7)

1 comment

Cart #pengo-1 | 2022-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 version of the 1982 Sega arcade game.

Controls

[X] - Push block/ electrify wall

Thanks To

Finn for testing
Paul Niven ( @NiVZ) for creating such a cool logo (for the third time!)
PICO-8 for creating an awesome "fantasy console"

Version History

• 0.80 - 06-Dec-2021 - Released
  • 0.81 - 21-May-2022 - Fixed crash when pengo spawned on block below diamond
15 comments

Cart #paddle1956-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! This is my first blog on what I hope will turn into a fulfilling hobby. This is Paddle, my first game.

Some background on me: My experience in computer languages and coding is extremely limited. I played around with a Raspberry Pi when I was in high school - making it into an emulator that played old GBA games. I completely failed my computing A-Level, but I have built a PC. But I’ve always thought being a game developer would be something that would be really cool to be. My interest has just fluctuated a lot.

The first time I thought that I wanted to work with games was watching the documentary, Indie Game: The Movie. But I’ve always been too lazy or been playing too many games to actually sit down and make one. I hope this is one of many that are to come to you, whoever you are.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I'm hoping I am just not understanding the code rather than there is a problem here with the new ability to redirect drawing memory positions.

cls()
poke(0x5f55,0x80)
for i=0,127 do
  for j=0,127 do
    pset(j,i,rnd()*16)
  end
end
poke(0x5f55,0x60)
memcpy(0x6000,0x8000,0x2000)

See HERE in BASE RAM Memory layout:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/dl/docs/pico-8_manual.html#Base_RAM_Memory_Layout

If it's not a problem in the language, then what am I doing wrong here ?

. . .

From the comments below it's clear I can only choose from 2-different memory locations. Maybe future Pico-8 will allow upper memory location to draw in. Just trying to find a use for that whopping extra 32768 bytes. :)

4 comments

Cart #googroker_topris-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tetris, but Sideways!™

Move and rotate the cursor with the arrow buttons and Z, and drop pieces with X. Form horizontal or vertical lines to clear them and gain extra time, or set up multiple lines in quick succession for big points!

3 comments

Cart #hukimtog-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #iwilllaseryou2-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

reupload

1 comment

Cart #coom-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #spirograph-1 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by this demo, I decided to implement the same idea using PICO-8. Instead of using spare RAM for effects, I went with the newly-introduced spritemap/screen mapping feature, by drawing the spirograph to the spritesheet and then drawing that onto the screen, so that hands can be added later.

Change log:

Version 2 (current)

• added the ability to use the O button to accelerate the drawing process
  • set the cart to run at 60fps

Version 1:

Cart #spirograph-0 | 2021-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Heya! So, the new one-off character feature added in 0.2.4 inspired me to write a drawing tool that exported to compatible strings in the smallest size I could, as of now, the code itself is only 520 characters!
(Minor warning: clipboard saving seems to be incorrect through the html export, I recommend copying the code and running it locally)

Cart #bitdraw-3 | 2021-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

h=32s=stat::_::?"⁶t⁶wbitdraw!",34,8
a=8+(s(h)/8)-4b=(s(33)/8)-4j=ord?"\^.¹³⁷ᶠ゜?⁷⁸",s(h),s(33),0
?"⁶1⁶cd⁶!5f2d¹",7
rect(h,h,96,96)sspr(8,0,8,8,h,h,64,64)if(s(34)&1!=0)sset(a,b,7)
if(s(34)&2!=0)sset(a,b,0)
if btnp(❎)then
d=""for y=0,7do

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=101562#p)
3 comments

Cart #hunopunona-0 | 2021-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Hi, so with the new Pico-8 update (0.2.4) I've been messing around with some of the new features and specially P8SCII, as of now I found something pretty weird, the new one-off character control code (\^.) seems to use the same control code as dotty mode used to, I noticed this when I ran the Impossible Mission cart, which has a corrupted title now due to Pico-8 treating most of the string as 1-bit character data.

Cart #impossible-1 | 2021-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I don't know if this is was done on purpose since it's still mentioned in the manual ALONGSIDE the new one off character control code, maybe Zep forgot it was already in use or he changed it to another control code without adding it to the manual? If this has been documented before or I'm doing something wrong please tell me.

2 comments

Cart #poom_0-9 | 2022-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BBS Edition to celebrate year 1 of POOM release!
(limited to 1 level - sorry!)

Enjoy full game at: https://freds72.itch.io/poom

Controls

Alternate scheme (select from controls menu):

Devlog

Game is "multi-cart", using 0x8000 region filled with raw data from 2 carts (poom_0+poom_1).

Engine details: https://freds72.itch.io/poom/devlog/241700/journey-to-poom

Credits

Art+Design+Music: @paranoidcactus
Code: @freds72

Changes

• added: Jelpi Spotter credit :)
47 comments

https://hive.saysi.org/pico8

I've been using PICO-8 to introduce teens to coding the traditional way, irl, for 5 years now. I've tried a lot of different ways of doing so: thru lecturing, found tutorials, providing a lot of boilerplate and letting kids play around with changing sprites and stuff, lots of 1-on-1... but I've been thinking long and hard about how to do it better.

I teach New Media at an after school art program (saysi.org) in an open studio environment that only superficially resembles a classroom. Students are a mix of teens of all ages and proficiencies and they do very little listening to instructors lecture and a lot of making stuff.

My students play games and dunning-kruger-ly imagine themselves capable of making them, but can be simultaneously terrified of anything that smells of math and can quickly get discouraged with the slightest bit of friction.

My ideal tutorial would introduce them to coding one concept at a time, but empower them to make creative doodles every step of the way, with whatever knowledge they've collected thus far. It would also free me from lecturing and allow me to do more troubleshooting and 1-on-1 in the studio. Not finding anything like that, I started my own little series. I have been putting them on Youtube for others to hopefully benefit from!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->