BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #animator8x8v03-0 | 2020-11-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi folks!

Last month I was trying out some Pico-8 features and finally brought them all together in my first cart.

It's a simple 8x8 pixels animation editor. It features:

• Pixel editor with "Pencil" and "Fill color" tools.
  • Animations allow up to 12 frames.
  • Add/remove frames to the current animation.
  • Editable frame delay.
  • Play/pause animation controls.
  • Keyboard device for text input.
  • Export to PNG (only sprites, not metadata).

For now I have an alpha version because is not finished yet but I wanted to share with you some kind of build that allows me put my mind in another subject.

I've planned to add new features like multiple animations, export metadata capabilities, and much more, but for now this is the v0.1 release.

Cheers!

New 0.2 version including:

• Fill tool fixed
  • Start/stop animation with toogle button
  • Export frames to clipboard

New 0.3 version including:

• Rotate sprite clockwise and anti-clockwise tool
  • Undo tool with 12 actions memory per frame
9 comments

Picolumia TGM 1.4

Cart #hunugedofo-6 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A modification of Andrew Edstrom's demake of Mixolumia.

The goal is to achieve the highest grade possible, Grand Master. To begin, you must score as many points as possible before the game ends. If the board fills up you lose.

You clear blocks in 2 ways:

• Getting 3 or more blocks of the same colour in a straight line
  • Putting 4 blocks of the same colour together to make a diamond

Controls

⬅️/➡️

• Move current quad left or right
  • Hold L/R when a piece spawns to have the quad spawn in that direction

⬇️

• Hard drop current quad to the bottom of the board

❎ (z/c/n)

• rotate counter clockwise

🅾️ (x/v/m)

• Rotate clockwise

MOD CHANGES

• Decreased global initial/repeat delays
  • Shift-buffer: Hold L/R when a piece spawns to have the piece spawn in that direction
  • Changes to score storage to prevent integer overflows (v. slight chance that an overflow can occur, but unlikely)
  • Blocks break away & prioritise the last direction moved, similar to Mixolumia
  • Mystery gameplay changes related to grade system
  • (1.3) Multiple Gamemodes

Grading

You begin the game at Grade 9. To increase your grade, simply score points. The points needed for the next grade is displayed in brackets
Grades go from 9-1, then S1-S9, followed by Master & Grand Master
Achieving grades above S9 require stricter requirements beyond the base game

Medals

As you play, you'll receive medals based on your performance. These have no affect on grades & are just for flare. These are graded from Bronze to Diamond & Ruby

SK: Skill Medal. Achieved by doing many large clears (5+ Blocks)
CL: Clear Medal. Achieved by clearing a large number of blocks at once
CB: Combo Medal. Achieved by performing large combos
HC: High-Combo Medal. Achieved by performing a high-scoring combo

Options

Some players find the falling block shadow confusing. If you would rather turn it off, you can toggle whether it displays with "Hide Shadow" and "Show Shadow" in the pause menu
You can also inverse the rotation buttons with the "Inverse Rotation" option. This is useful for those on mobile devices & those playing on certain controllers
If the screen shake effects are causing motion sickness, you can also disable this using "Disable Skrn Shk"
Finally, you can display the game's block generation count with the "Enable Debug" option

Gameplay/Grade Requirements: Standard Mode

Base Grades (9-S9) are all score based. The score required is displayed in brackets under your current score

To extend the game beyond the standard levels, you must achieve an S-Grade (S1-S9) before reaching level 15. You will then play up until level 25
If you reach level 25 within 7 minutes, the game will continue up until level 30, or when 7 minutes have passed
If you reach level 30 within 7 minutes, the game ends & you'll be awarded +1 on your grade
If you were S9 when you reach level 30, you will achieve the grade Master

To achieve Grand Master in Standard Mode, you must
[hidden]

• Reach S4 before level 15
  • The game will speed up much faster than normal play
  • Reach S9 before level 30
  • Reach level 30 within 7 minutes

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

ladies and gentelmen, behold the thing no one asked for, the pinnacle of console and cart design alike, my opus magnum:

Brainf**k Fantasy Console!

Cart #brainf__k_console_1_1-1 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Have you ever got lost in the many interface options your console provides? Have you ever felt overrun with the abundance of commands included in normal programming languages that everybody knows? Do you feel flabbergasted looking at the vibrant interface colors of the mainstream fantasy consoles? My newest addition to the market has you covered! It has:

• A full-featured memory editor optimised for the purpose of programming the BFC!
  • A brand new programming language based on the popular Brainf**k!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #fighter_street_ii-1 | 2020-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Super Moves

D = down
F = forward
B = back
P = punch
K = kick

**Kyu**
  su1: DFP
  su2: FDFP
  su3: DBK
  ult: DBDBK

**Chi**
  su1: DFK
  su2: DBP
  ult: DFDFK

**Sol**
  su1: DFP
  su2: FDFP
  ult: DFDFP

**Lua**
  su1: DBK
  su2: DBP
  su3: DFK
  ult: DFDFK
18 comments

Does anyone know if there are any good token optimization tutorials out there? Something like a collection of tips that show a suboptimal way of doing something and then demonstrate an optimized equivalent?

I'm about 25% through my latest game but about 60% through my token count already. Ordinarily I am much more inclined to finish functionality first and optimize/polish later, but in this case there is no way I will be able to finish if I don't clean up because I'll run out of tokens well before everything is in.

I suspect most of my problem is that I have a lot of tables and nested tables, like this:

-- this is 76 tokens total and I have a total of about 608 tokens worth of just these
ryl = (yl + (flr(yl/10)*1.5))*7.84
rec={rec1={x=ryl,ogx=ryl,y=32,ogy=32,sx=0,sy=32,speed=rnd(1.25),f=false},rec2={x=ryl,ogx=ryl,y=111,ogy=111,sx=0,sy=32,speed=rnd(1.25),f=false}}

which I then refer to values of like this (adding another 26 tokens): sspr(oteam.rec.rec1.sx,oteam.rec.rec1.sy,sprw,sprh,oteam.rec.rec1.x,oteam.rec.rec1.y,sprw,sprh,oteam.rec.rec1.f)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #maposeniwo-1 | 2020-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Work in progress - you control a 3-pixel gnome who can build up a team to work in a mine. There's plenty more to do :)

2 comments

Cart #losthalloween1-0 | 2020-10-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

In Lost Halloween, you'll choose a costumed character and go trick-or-treating through a neighborhood. At each house you'll have to navigate through their yard, making your way up to the door bell. Ring it, get candy, then on to the next house! But beware, weird things can happen on Halloween. Hey, did that garden gnome just move?

Controls

• Arrow keys: move cursor or character. You can move diagonally by pressing two move keys at once.
  • (Z): attack
  • (X): interact, eat candy (if available and HP<3), advance dialog

Features

• Five playable characters
  • Thirteen houses to visit
  • Awesome music by Gruber (@gruber_music, PICO-8 Tunes vol1 and 2)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

INTRO

After a post where I was asking this same question, and thanks to the comments I've received, I've decided to create a guide on how to upload a game on itch.io in a nice way.

By default, if you upload a game on itch.io you obtain something like this: FartJumper (itch.io)
(not a game of mine, I use this just to show the difference, if it is a problem I'll remove the link)

As you can see there are a lot of borders and I personally don't like them.

I made it so that the game run like this: Not Enough (itch.io)
(this is one of my game)

In my game I also enabled the autoplay and made some adjustment to it to make it even better, but I will explain that later on.

GUIDE

TL;DR

You can download this index.html and use it mostly as it is: index.html

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Cart #momentum-7 | 2021-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks to RubyRed for letting me use Celeste 1.5 to make this, Michael for doing summit
code, and Levyorg for helping with the title screen
Edit 1: Changed a few levels a bit and added ice cuz why not

11 comments

Yet another mines clone.
Still working out

• some of the end game flag logic
  • surrounding graphics
  • levels
  • sound affects

Cart #brettski_mines-1 | 2020-04-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #sw_cave_diver_proto-0 | 2020-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So, I'm currently learning how to make games with Pico-8. Yeah.

I used the Cave Diver tutorial in a zine made by @MBoffin
You can find the zine here: https://mboffin.itch.io/gamedev-with-pico-8-issue1

With all that said, I might return to this eventually, but who knows at this point.
However, I would appreciate some feedback and I might consider them for future games.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy this Flappy Bird derivative. Hehe.

0 comments

Cart #rsbhuti-0 | 2020-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Seance

A surreal game used to explore rendering in pico-8.

Controlled via arrow keys

3 comments

Cart #binariolunafromthemoon-1 | 2020-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Binario is an implementation of the puzzle by the same name, invented by Adolfo Zanellati. I know this game from the Simon Tatham's puzzle collection, as it's one of my favourites. The algo to create the levels is bad, basically a less than brute force but still pretty brutal, and it takes many tries for the higher levels.

Mouse is supported and makes everything better, but it's still possible to play with key controls too.

I added a clue system to make it more engaging. I wanted to add also something like a timer that would fill up and down according to the moves and the state of the game, but finally decided against it since it wouldn't really add too much and probably no one will play this version anyways. It was an entertaining exercise in Pico8, and hopefully someone finds it interesting.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

P8C-BUN

Cart #drakeblue_p8cbun-3 | 2023-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help your chosen bunny cover each level with poo then escape down a rabbit hole. Don't get caught by the fox or anything else that's out to get you!

Finish all 16 levels without restarting to achieve "Iron Bun" or just try to post a high score. Start at whatever level you like.

Controls

• Use the d-pad/arrow keys to direct your bunny.
  • z/c/(O) to show where you haven't pooed yet.
  • x to paws and return to the title screen.
  • You can toggle the music or return to the title screen from the menu as well.

Tips

• The buns will keep running in the direction you choose until there's no clear path in front of them so there's no need to hold down the arrow keys.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #willo-0 | 2020-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Skelliwags have taken over the graveyard and its up to Willo to kick them out!

Help little Willo sneak around, go 'woo', blow out candles and get up to all sorts of spooky stealthy fun in this short stealth'n'spook-em-up

Featuring

• 8 action packed graveyards to spook about in
  • MGS style ranking system, can you get all 8 platinum medals?
  • Skelliwags, floating eyeballs, tombstones and occult pentagrams
  • One adorable little ghost, Willo

Game by @danhowardgames

Music and SFX by the outrageously talented @gruber_music

56 comments

Another of my Atari 2600 1983's games ports. All sounds from the original!
Enjoy!

Cart #tewaribana-5 | 2021-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #ebeamanime2-0 | 2020-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #conwaylife-0 | 2020-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a pretty minimal implementation of Conway's Game of Life for PICO-8. It has a basic performance optimization (it only updates the active area of the grid), and you can see the active area adjust by setting dbg=true at the top of the code.

That said, it gets pretty slow pretty quickly for larger simulations.

You set up the grid as follows:

Arrow keys -- move the cursor around.
Z key -- toggle a given cell to active/inactive.
X key -- start / stop the simulation.

If you're unfamiliar with the Game of Life, google it :-).
An easy starting point for a cool pattern is a ten cell contiguous row (10 connected horizontal cells).

There are better PICO-8 Game of Life carts, but I had a lot of fun making this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #persona_battle_system-0 | 2020-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little persona battle system concept I worked on as part of a school project, I may expand it later with different enemy types, more items, and maybe XP

Use the arrow keys to scroll the menu
Z to select
X to go back

You begin with 60HP, 30SP, and 3 medicines

Enemies have a chance of dropping a medicine after defeat

See what streak you can get!

0 comments

Cart #birdnamedtry-1 | 2020-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A bird named try

My first game using pico-8, a simple platformer where you play as a bird whose only option for vertical mobility is climbing

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->