BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #lestgame-5 | 2020-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a mod I made of Celeste Classic

UPDATE:
I have added another level and also modified 200m so it no longer requires spike walljumping.

Thanks to people on the Celeste Classic Discord for helping explain a few things to me

11 comments

As per documentation, reload does not support BBS carts.
However, the function fails without any error while trying:

-- does nothing (or not??)
reload(0,0,0x4300,"#vracing_5")

Could the function reports an error in such case?

3 comments

Cart #puroresu_no_seishin-0 | 2020-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A demo, and a love letter to Japanese professional wrestling, from Jumalauta. Released at Instanssi 2020, won first place in the demo compo.

No guarantees at all about working on a browser. Tested on Firefox, crashes almost immediately. The cart works fine on the Pico-8 software, naturally. If you want to watch it on a browser, YouTube is your best bet :)

Minified using Picotool by @dddaaannn. Unminified source code available in the release zip. Some graphics are based on CC BY 2.0 photos, namely "Jushin Liger ROHxNJPW Global Wars 2018" by Troy Teague, "Shinsuke Nakamura" by temaki, and "Mt.Fuji & Tokyo SkyTree" by Atomark.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

We had some back-and-forth on Discord about row-shifting effects and whether to do them with the CPU or by copying to sprite ram and using sspr. I came up with a pretty good function at the time for the CPU to do it in place, but I've since iterated on that to bring down the token count and also to optimize certain types of shifts.

This is a little demo wrapper built around that function. If anyone's interested in effects like this, I offer this up to them. Take a look at the full-fat version of the function in tab 1, and also at a low-fat version in tab 2, which is a little slower and lacks the edge-clamping feature, but uses about 2/3 of the tokens. You should be able to drop either version as-is into a game or demo and just use it right out of the box.

Performance: The full-fat version can apply a sine wave to the full screen at a cost of about 8-9% of a 30fps frame, while the low-fat version requires about 10-11%.

Token cost: The full-fat version is 155 tokens. The low-fat version is 96 tokens.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hey @zep,

Is holdframe() intended to be a peer/complementary function to flip()?

I had it pointed out that I'd erroneously marked flip() as undocumented on the wiki, even though it is documented—I just suck at searching the manual. That reminded me to check holdframe(), to see if it was still undocumented, and it still is. It is, however, overtly called out in the changelog as having been added, so it's simultaneously documented and undocumented.

Is it intended that we're allowed to use it for custom game loops, or no? If we are, it'd be nice to have it documented in the manual. Otherwise I'll leave it in the nebulous wiki category of Undocumented API.

Thanks! :)

2 comments

This Wretched Pong

A devilishly difficult game of pong and the difficulty increases as you anger the demon. Can you outscore him by 6 points? Can you do it three times in a row?

Based off Nerdy Teachers Pong tutorial, and very enhanced - https://nerdyteachers.com/Explain/NerdyPong/

Lots of thanks to discord, in particular, Rune for the Renoiser which helped me add sound and effects from Pico-8 sfx pack https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=64837 and music from Pico-8 Tunes Vol.2 https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=64837

I also borrowed the pentagram from Skulldude - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30146

SO much learned in the process. This is my second (unfinished) game - more polished than the first, again many thanks to the community for assistance.

There is a lot of cruft in the code, will clean up, and make any final balancing changes and then release. Any feedback on mechanics appreciated. Can you beat the final difficulty?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hi all,

This is my first cart, Cryptocide: Dridex. It's supposed to be a fast paced, contra-esque boss fight. Hopefully it's the first in a series of bosses. In terms of lore, I was going for a cyberpunk, diving into the matrix to fight off security threats kind of thing.

I'd really appreciate your feedback with particular emphasis on:

• Gameplay / overall enjoyment
  • Difficulty (and difficulty scaling)
  • Suggestions for new attacks

(any other feedback is greatly appreciated but bear in mind my artistic and musical skill is next to zero so please don't be too harsh on that front :))

Cart #cryptocide_dridex-0 | 2020-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Current TODOs:

• [ ] Bugfixes for 2 player mode before inclusion

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #pug_nographicpong-4 | 2020-02-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Games these days are just too graphic. This version of the classic game Pong has no graphics whatsoever, instead using only Pico-8 ASCII and print commands. It can be played solo or with a friend!

Update 1:
-Changed ball physics so it doesn't just travel in 2 paths.
-Fixed an issue with paddle-ball collision.

1 comment

Pico-8 will only run if I set it to run in 256 colors even after replacing the SDL.

5 comments

What is it?

Last year I wrote a six-part tutorial series for The MagPi magazine that takes a complete novice all the way from installing PICO-8, to designing a full game with audio and effects, to releasing it on the BBS. The MagPi is a fantastic UK magazine that covers everything Raspberry Pi related and, with unfathomable generosity, makes all their issues available online for free in .pdf form. I post the full collection here now in the hope that they are useful.

Tutorial list

Tutorial 1: Get Started with PICO-8 and Raspberry Pi

Turn your Raspberry Pi into the coolest console around with PICO-8! Play, make, and share 8-bit games
download link

Tutorial 2: Learn Lua with PICO-8

You’ve played other people’s PICO-8 games, now it’s time to make your own! Create a retro space-shooter whilst learning the Lua language
download link

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #attackofthegreenblobs-0 | 2020-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

attack of the green blobs is a side scrolling space shooter. It was created for a tutorial series for The MagPi magazine and was designed to lead a novice through every aspect of game design on PICO-8.

It contains demonstrations of:

• different enemy types
  • screen shake
  • simple particle engine
  • simple collision engine
  • SFX and music implementation
  • simple game states
  • lots more...

You can follow the full tutorial series on the BBS in the tutorial section.

0 comments

Hello,

I know the topic was already raised when the original (esp32 based) ODROID-Go came out but the specs of the handheld were said to be too limited.

Now Hardkernel released the successor to the Go, the Go Advanced, and this time its based on a Rockchip ARM-SoC and runs Linux. Think of it as a Raspi like SBC sitting in a Case which is meant for (retro) gaming.

Would it be feasable to support Pico8 on it? It doesnt come with a hardware keyboard nor wifi, but the console features an USB Port you can use to connect all sorts of devices including network adapters.

Product Specs:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-go-advance/

8 comments

Renoiser is a tool that let you copy music patterns and sound effects between cartridges.

When you copy music patterns all required sound effects is copied along, so the song you paste in another cartridge is complete and sound identical to the source song.

You can also move sound effects within a cartridge, and when you do that the music patterns that use those sound effects are updated so the songs remain the same.

It is also possible to move your music patterns around if you'd like.

Easy to copy songs between cartridges, complete with sound effects and instruments

Copying a song is as easy as loading the cartridge with the song you want, copy it, load the cartridge you want to paste the song into and then pasting it. Now all the patterns, sound effects and instruments are copied along.

Reorganising your sound effects and instruments

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

as a lot of us are brutally aware of, pico-8's limitations are very fun, but can also have a serious impact on code readability. one particularly nasty problem is that when saving tokens, descriptive names for constant values are one of the first things to go out the window. Up till now, this was an unavoidable problem. However, with the recent introduction of the INCLUDE directive, pico-8 now has a preprocessor and a model for how preprocessor directives should work. I'd like to propose a DEFINE directive for supporting simple text substitution.

for example, let's say we are doing a simple branch based on a cel value:

local c=mget(x,y)
 if c==4 then
 elseif c==5 then
 end

it's impossible to even guess what this code does. but it's hard to argue that adding "local health_pickup=4" is worth the tokens.

instead, if we had a DEFINE directive, we could change the above to:

#DEFINE health_pickup 4
 #DEFINE coin_pickup 5

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=73423#p)
34 comments

Cart #picade-0 | 2020-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, I bought the new Picade from Pimoroni (also own the previous version) and thought the video showed a cool Pico-8 animation. You can watch it on the product page: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picade?variant=29210087489619
Pimoroni kindly gave the p8.png file, but there's a bug where horizontal lines disappear after a while. So I made my own version above. No game, just a cool idle animation. Feel free to use & modify it to your needs and, why not, let us see what is beyond that "Press START to play"! ;)

Below is the original untouched Picade animation by Pimoroni:

Cart #picade_original-0 | 2020-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Hi all.

I'm proud to present my very first game ever.

I'm a web dev, casual payer, and I always dreamed about making a video game. Here it is. To be fair, it's mainly a variant of the cave digger presented by Dylan BENNET in Game Development with PICO-1 #1, so huge thanks and much love to him : learning is so easier with a good teacher.

And actually, I'm even prouder to inform you I've been able to publish this game on Apple's App Store (available for free on https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wonderpiewpiew/id1499408050).

To make this possible, I developed a Capacitor based hybrid shell. I'll share it on GitHub as soon as it's documentation is ready. I hope it will help the community to show amazing games created by gifted and hard working game makers.

Cheers.
Alan

Cart #alancrevon_wonder_piew_piew-0 | 2020-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #dog_fight-0 | 2020-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all :)

Here's a game I've been working on since my Asteroids clone a month ago.

Dogfight! is an Arcade style biplane dogfighting game.
Shoot down enemy planes!
Strafe convoys!
Kill enemy soldiers!

Controls are simple:
Left and right to rotate plane.
Z and X to fire

There's a radar of sorts on the screen that will show the direction of enemies. Just follow the dots :)

Music credit must go out to Gruber and his awesome Pico-8 Tunes Volumes :)

Have fun and I appreciate any and all feedback :)

Sazazel

3 comments

Cart #epi_jam_space_2019-1 | 2020-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #epi_jam_space_2019-0 | 2020-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hello and welcome back. Why ultimate you say ? Because ... you're not going to like this I know, I'm leaving Pico-8. Now not permanently, but enough so that when I do return it will be to post useful utilities to help in Pico-8 that I wrote in a different language. A full-screen map editor is planned for instance as I can see that being of benefit.

And it's been quite the journey, hasn't it ?

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=15232&mode=carts&sub=2#m

All these things and many more not even written yet or shown here but nonetheless were planned for Pico-8, all set comfortably aside ...

Now I =MAY= return if @zep ever gets the ability of compiling a Pico-8 to a true and native APK, easy enough so that beginners can do it themselves. Then I might do come back for a few more gaming projects.

Failing that - just as Sega Saturn went out from the community, they went out with a slow unfailing light on their very last cart, a RPG entitled, "Magic Knight Rayearth."

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Finished my first pico game for alakajam 8!

Anywhere for you

AFY is a game about a tiny person who lost their loved one.
Enter the depths to collect flowers to honor their grave.

❤️

Controls

Move - Arrow Keys
Interact - Arrow Keys
Start Game / Confirm - X

Cart #anywhereforyou-2 | 2020-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->