Hello and welcome back. Why ultimate you say ? Because ... you're not going to like this I know, I'm leaving Pico-8. Now not permanently, but enough so that when I do return it will be to post useful utilities to help in Pico-8 that I wrote in a different language. A full-screen map editor is planned for instance as I can see that being of benefit.

And it's been quite the journey, hasn't it ?

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=15232&mode=carts&sub=2#m

All these things and many more not even written yet or shown here but nonetheless were planned for Pico-8, all set comfortably aside ...

Now I =MAY= return if @zep ever gets the ability of compiling a Pico-8 to a true and native APK, easy enough so that beginners can do it themselves. Then I might do come back for a few more gaming projects.

Failing that - just as Sega Saturn went out from the community, they went out with a slow unfailing light on their very last cart, a RPG entitled, "Magic Knight Rayearth."

My unfailing light will be the release of this fully playable and enjoyable PENSATE with cartdata() ability to continue your game anytime you wish.

Here is the original Apple ][ game I recorded on video:

And here is my interpretation and tribute of it with a few notable differences from the original.

Cart #ac_pensate_dw817-0 | 2020-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1. The only opponents you have are arrows that go left and right.
  2. Any arrow hitting another changes direction WITHOUT moving on that same turn.
  3. If the player hits an opponent they do not lose but flash "!!" and the game cycle continues.
    In this the opponent must hit the player in order to succeed defeating them.
  4. The player must LEAVE the board at the top instead of just arriving at the top square.
  5. Instead of infinite levels the game can be won. There are 15 levels in all each more challenging than the last. There is a grand huzzah at the end.
  6. Instead of restarting from the beginning when you lose, you have unlimited chances to try again.
  7. You can speed up the game (and most anything else) by holding the (X) key.

And that's it ! That's my unfailing light, a good game to play and even better code to read. Chock full of remarks throughout to teach at least the way I program - which I am told by many people is not the best. :)

Best wishes to you coders out there whom I have met, made friends with, and in some cases close acquaintances. I'll still be around to answer questions if I can.

With that, So long, and thanks for all the fish !

P#73389 2020-02-23 20:16 ( Edited 2020-02-23 21:13)

Oh noes!

Well at least you left with an Apple ][ classic!

"We apologise (sic) for the inconvenience."

P#73397 2020-02-24 00:30

Thanks, @thattomhall ... I'll be around. Just to answer some questions if any are posed or to post new Pico-8 tools.

Also if you get stuck on the game above, to win it, feel free to ask, there are several tricks not immediately apparent to winning that last 15th level.

Our team was actually working on a different Pico-8 project, a nice big one. While I've written all the code at this point, we had to put it aside though because the author is under medical leave. Leaving us - well, we're not sure how to finish it and we have unfinished maps and dialogue they were working on too.

Once they return though Sorcery may just post one more Pico-8 game before going full with Blitz.

Hope to see you there !

P#73418 2020-02-24 18:36 ( Edited 2020-02-25 05:22)

Any particular reason for this departure? Limits of PICO-8? Real life stuff?

P#73419 2020-02-24 18:45

Okay sounds good! Good luck with your projects!

P#73429 2020-02-24 20:57

@thattomhall: Making some nice progress, thanks !

Hi @Xii. Limitations really.

Where I'm working now I have 1980x1080 pixels, true 32-bit color, WAV/OGG audio ability, 256-audio channels, I think it's unlimited RAM space, uses the hard-drive as cache if you go over 8gb of data and I recently wrote a compiler that lets you export custom EXEs from the parent program you write (which can also be exported as an EXE).

This means we can write our own Fantasy Console if so desired.

It also can update every single pixel on the screen plotting them one at a time (1980x1080) at a speed pretty close to 60fps.

That's just too useful to pass up as I've always been a pixel guy for effects and images.

Now as mentioned if @zep does add an export to APK for Pico-8 that will be a BIG audience opening up for that, not just Windows/Mac/Unix/HTM but the whole blooming Android console and its massive collection of users.

At that point I may return to write a few more carts knowing I can run them on my own cellphone and tablet.

Also as I'm programming in this language I keep typing the wrong code, Pico-8 code, for instance I keep typing merely END for ENDIF, NEXT, and ENDFUNCTION.

If I can abstain from Pico-8 I can focus on my work and correct language.

Also if our mystery designer ever returns to Sorcery with finished maps and story we can post our major Pico-8 project. Until then, I'll just keep at it here. :)

P#73435 2020-02-24 21:58

I do believe that that last bit in the cart post is a reference that I caught.

P#73454 2020-02-25 15:42

That could well be, @Thom, if you know the person. As mentioned essentially unavailable. We placed that work in the VAULT and are already working on our next project, but it's not for Pico-8.

As long as it's taking for Pico-8 to get its next version it may be a very long time before my suggests (if any) are considered.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35330

P#73455 2020-02-25 16:33

Thank you, @CooKid101, and welcome to Pico-8 !

https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/Pico-8_Wikia

P#92318 2021-05-21 22:03

Yep, @MirabelMiranda. It's called GOOGLE PLAY. Check it out sometime. :)

P#99451 2021-11-01 04:08

Here I was coming over, to play this game again and unfortunately something in the latest versions must have broken it as it now boots into an error :( Bummer.

Any chance this is a simple fix that can be put in place?

The error is:

SYNTAX ERROR LINE 660 (TAB 0)
::REDO::
<GOTO REDO> AT LINE 562 (TAB 0) JUMPS INTO THE SCOPE OF LOCAL '(FOR COMPOUND)'

P#138937 2023-12-20 16:44

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:39:03 | 0.104s | Q:32