BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

The BBS's media storage system has recently been updated, and image attachments are now sent to a cloud bucket. Let's stress-test it with some gifs!

Rules:

• No gif, no post!
  • No explanation of the gif is required.
  • No quality required.

To save these, I used "CONFIG GIF_SCALE 3" from the PICO-8 command prompt, but any size is ok.

Some of these are doodles, some are unfinished carts, some are abandoned projects that will only live on as gifs.

24 comments

Cart #marrakech-0 | 2019-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try to make the board game featured in the first episode of After School Dice Club

Marrakech Rule Book

1 comment

Cart #picocarina-0 | 2019-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Not really a game, just an ocarina to play. Works best with a gamepad (input seems snappier than keyboard).

There are 16 notes over 2 octaves (in a hard-coded semi-flexible scale I decided on lol)

C2  LEFT
C#2 DOWN
D2  RIGHT
D#2 UP
F2  LEFT + X
G2  DOWN + X
G#2 RIGHT + X
A#3 UP + X
C3  LEFT + O
C#3 DOWN + O
D3  RIGHT + O
D#3 UP + O
F3  LEFT + X + O
G3  DOWN + X + O
G#3 RIGHT + X + O
A#4 UP + X + O
6 comments

Cart #subhunter-2 | 2019-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Wanted to challenge myself to a one day build, which mostly happened. I've started so many different Pico-8 projects and I just really wanted to "finish" something so I decided to just try and recreate and old classic and give myself one-ish day to complete it.

Managed to create almost the entire game in my arbitrary time limit. I just spent the following morning making a title screen.

Anyways, it's pretty basic game. Just move left and right if you want and time your charges to hit the subs! Drop charges by pressing left and right at the same time. The meter show when a charge is ready to fire.

3 comments

Cart #liferace-1 | 2019-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Life is not a race. Life is not about being the best; it is about enjoying the journey. It sounds counterintuitive, but stopping to enjoy life helps us to be better people. We can see what is happening around us. We can smell the roses, enjoy the company, and try new and wonderful things. These things will not only help us to relax, but they will also help us along our journey.

That game was designed for Meditation games for December 3rd.

Controls: X and Z to move. Enter to open the pause menu and restart.

Hint: doing some work (without depleting the bar) and then over relaxing (wait after the bar is full), will help you to see stuff in the world that you were not able to see before because you were focusing on work all the time.

3 comments

Cart #laby-0 | 2019-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! I made a super small labyrinth game.
I found out about pico while studying shortest path algorithms in graphs and I thought that trying to implement some of that in pico would be a fun way to learn both, so here we are.
Hope you like it

Incipit: you're an explorer trying to find an exit out of the labyrinth he found himself to, but you seem to only go deeper... there is something stalking you in the dark.

Visualizer: the game has also an A* visualizer built-in, in the menù, pressing z will start it, pressing it again will reset the labyrinth and the visualizer.

Game: pressing x in the menu will start the game: you'll find yourself in a dark labyrinth, with only the light of your torch illuminating the room you're in. you'll need to find the exit, and the music will help you, it'll change based on how near you are

2 comments

Cart #mb_advent2019-2 | 2019-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Remember the classic Shockwave Flash snowball fight game called Snowcraft from 1998? 21 years ago! My entry for this year's PICO-8 Advent Calendar is a demake of that beloved Flash game. Huge thanks to @Gruber for helping with the sound effects!

This game uses the mouse. (Sorry, mobile users!)

I tried to make this as close to the original as possible. Have fun! :)

4 comments

Cart #christmas_greeting-0 | 2019-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made a little Christmas greeting for the holidays. Hoo Hoo Hoooo!

2 comments

Cart #sinking_ships-1 | 2019-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Two ships enter. One ship sinks!

CONTROLS

[1P]             [2P]

Left + Right       S  +  F      :    Steer Ship
     Z               Tab        :    Fire Left Broadside / Select
     X                Q         :    Fire Right Broadside / Back
  Up + Down         E + D       :    Navigate Menu

ABOUT THE GAME

This is SINKING SHIPS, a one- or two-player fighting game about naval combat during the Napoleonic Wars, like Star Control meets Wooden Ships & Iron Men. Keep one eye on your enemy and the other on your wind-vane as you angle for the perfect position to unleash your broadside.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

So, this is the code I have right now:

local count = 0
function _draw()
 count += 1
 print(count)
 print(sin(count))

Then, when I boot this, the second one is always 0, but why? I'm trying to have a sinus wave, but not 0.

1 comment

I know several people already created TTF fonts, but I believe this goes slightly beyond.

This cart is a tool that vectorises the PICO-8 font and exports it to %APPDATA%/pico-8/carts/font.sfd.p8l . You can then open that file in FontForge and modify it to your will, then export it as TrueType, PostScript etc.

It should be fully forward-compatible and if Zep ever changes a glyph, then the resulting TTF file will change accordingly.

For instance, if you are lucky enough to have a PICO-8 Gold Account™ and the latest preview version with the chr() function and the kana glyphs you’ll even get Japanese support:

Here it is in action in the Windows font settings:

And here it is in a toy application:

Cart #makefont-0 | 2019-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #xmasfish-1 | 2019-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for the 2019 Advent Calendar =^w^=

Controls

• Up/Down/Left/Right: move
  • O: do actions
  • X: show/hide inventory

Backstory

My wife Aubrianne wrote a 100% completely original poem which provides the deep lore behind this game:
[hidden]
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the sea
Not a creature was swimming, not you and not me;
The lights were all strung on the coral with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The wee fry were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-worms danced in their heads;
When up from the surface there came such a splashing,
I sprang from my bed to see what could be happening.

Up, up to the top I swam like a flash,
Looked up through the ripples, popped up with a splash.
When what to my protruding eyes did appear,
But a crash-landed sleigh and eight whiplashed rein-deer,
With a little old driver so frantic and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.

They paddled like puppies, his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!
To the shore of the beach! to this lonely atoll!
Now swim on up! swim on up! swim on up all!"
As awkward as kittens dropped into a bath,
They bobbed and they flailed and sought for a path;

And then, in a twinkling, reindeer on the beach
Were prancing and pawing the sand with relief.
As I dipped 'neath the waves, and was turning around,
Into the water St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, which was quite a blunder,
His clothes got all soaked and were pulling him under;
I was quite astonished to hear him call out
to me he was waving and said with a shout

"What ho, my good fish! You've been very good!
I'm here to bring gifts to your fine neighborhood!
But, alas! All the presents I brought for your friends
Have been lost at sea and I might get the bends.
Our tanks are all dented, and I very much fear
we have only wetsuits for seven reindeer.
Dasher, that rascal, lost his on that trip
we took to Fiji on our polar cruise ship.

"My friend, will you help me? I'm in dire straits
For all o'er the world empty stockings await
Will you find all the gifts and deliver each one?
Will you wear the red hat and make Christmas come?"
I solemnly blooped and I bubbled assent
I would see it through to the very last present!

His hand rose up all the way to his head
and came down again with his fine cap of red
He gave it to me and he said with a sigh,
"You're Santa now, fish. You are the guy!"
With a wink of his eye, he gave me a smile
I knew I had nothing to fear from this trial;
He sloshed to the beach, and tapped his red nose
The sleigh came together and in the air rose

He sprang right aboard, the reindeer all heartened,
And away they all flew, as fast as a marlin.
But I heard him exclaim, as I floated, awestruck—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all, best of luck!”

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #breakthesundemo2-0 | 2019-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello!

This is my first actual game thing so please bear with me. Break the Sun is a shmup I've been working on for a while now, I started it this summer to learn to code. I've reached the point where I have a proper beginning, intro and end for the first level so I decided to toss it on the web and see what people think.

It's pretty simple: arrows to move, Z to shoot, X to dodge (if you have enough fuel in your tank, that is). Reach the boss and see if you get the highest score chaining kills with your multiplier. I've implemented a couple tricks I came up with and some stuff inspired by the incredible @lucatron_ on Twitter.

Any feedback – positive or negative – is really appreciated, you can leave them here or reach me on the Tweetles @MrMandolino. Thanks for playing!

EDIT: fixed a bug that could cause you to take damage before appearing on screen

3 comments

Cart #freds72_snow-3 | 2019-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Winter is coming (as every year actually...), time for some skiing!
Enjoy going down the slope, trying to beat your previous track record or freeriding skills!

Grab coins for some extra time bonus - watch out for off track hazards!
Your polar jacket can sustain a couple of direct hits, avoid trees anyway...

Note: there is no end racing line - you will loose :] question is how much time will you last?

Controls

• Left/Right: control direction
  • c: jump (hold to charge)
  • x: restart (if stuck)
  • follow GPS pointer if lost

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #buttontest-0 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple button tester...

3 comments

Cart #bksowa-0 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Decided to try making a PICO8 game for the first time for the Github Gameoff 2019 jam. Figured I would add it to the list of carts on here.

3 comments

Cart #purdysnake-0 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #packbat_rain_gif-8 | 2023-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

No big story here - I'm a big fan of the bot rain.gif and wanted to make something in PICO-8 that would produce similar images. Is configured to loop seamlessly for 8-second gifs (PICO-8's default), but the parameter should be obvious and easy to change. Rain noise is implemented in a fairly basic form (the point of the cart is generating GIFs, not a full simulation) and disabled by default.

Currently has 16 palettes, all chosen to have reasonably good contrast ratio - should be clear how to edit those as well.

Edit 2023-03-08: Set gif duration to 16 seconds, matching new default gif length.

Edit 2019-12-15: Replaced green palettes, tweaked drop rendering, added more drop pattern randomization, added controls:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #timuzejohe-1 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Planet Wreckers! Space Invaders with a dash of Galaxian/Galaga. Left/right = move left/right, X to fire, Z to start game. Enjoy!

8 comments

Before asking my question I want to state: I have tried my darnedest to look this up on my own and am falling short on answers. I installed xubuntu on an old laptop that I have automatically logging in and have got pico8 running perfectly fine and to my liking. HOWEVER! I want pico 8 to start immediately after the login happens. I have looked up such things as "running scripts on start up ubuntu" and "how to run a script after login ubuntu" and have gotten many suggestions. one suggestion was to edit the init.d file. I added my script and it appeared to work. HOWEVER! the keyboard, mouse, and external monitor did not work. I assume the script ran before some hardware initialization or something, I don't know. This issue essentially bricked my xubuntu install, as when I restarted it, it would no longer respond to any user inputs. I reimaged my laptop again and am running running a fresh install with pico 8 working again. Here is my question: How can I have pico 8 run after the computer turns on, boots up, and automatically logs into the default account? I am not really a linux newbie, but this is a particularly frustrating gap in my knowledge that perhaps I am not using the correct search terms for. Sorry for the wall of text.

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->