BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #ufo_santa-2 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Santa has to send presents to more people than ever... thankfully he's got a UFO to help him get around faster. But these flying candies keep getting in the way! Throw gifts at the candies to pop them and collect coins. You can spend coins to buy upgrades and blast even more candies! Will you make it to the ultimate upgrade??

For an extra challenge, try completing a run without letting any candies escape through the top of the screen!

Game Controls:

up / down / left / right: movement
Z / C / (O): drop presents

Shop Controls:

left / right: select item
Z / C / (O): buy item
X / V / (X): skip buying an item (save up those coins for next time!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #pico8adventcalendar2019-25 | 2020-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE 2019-12-16: For those wondering about the recent stall in new carts, we have managed to determine the issue with the recent delay in shipping -- please see this exclusive footage from our supposedly 'expert and professional' cart delivery service:

Ugh, that's gotta hurt! But with Unreliable Santa Pico Service, I guess you do get what you pay for..

Future shipping shall be covered by holiday delivery juggernaut, Shamazon. Their CEO, Jeff "Polar" Bearzos, has assured us they will not only take on the remaining orders, but fully intend to catch up to the projected release dates!

It's the Pico-8 Advent Calendar for 2019!

This is the main menu for a collaboration organized by a secret cabal of pico-8 merry makers.

Come back on each day from the 1st to the 25th of December for twenty-five different surprises, each made by a different developer! This menu cartridge will link to all of the games as they are released, though the individual cartridges will also have their own threads.

31 comments

Cart #a_resolute_purpose-0 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A demo by Matt Current. Released in 2019 at Vortex IV, second place in the demo compo.

NOTE: This demo deals with the theme of suicidal thoughts. Not in a particularly graphic or explicit manner, but if that's a trigger for you, you should be aware of the content before viewing the demo.

3 comments

Cart #dbuzifogi-0 | 2019-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everyone! Another simple game I have made in 1 day. Still getting use to the system and hopefully I'll make more complex and interesting games as time goes on.

5 comments

Cart #zkomijg-0 | 2019-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Discs Of Tron demake (in progress - this cart has been gathering dust for a while - since 2016 at least)

2 comments

Cart #threecube-0 | 2019-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's the cube. You know the one.
Check the menus. There are options.

1 comment

Cart #dotgobblerinsockjustice-1 | 2019-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Dot Gobbler, having escaped the confines of his maze, finds himself in the great outdoors for the first time. Blinking and uncertain in the light of a new day, he ventures forth into the wilderness in search of dots, and perhaps something to put on his feet.

Controls:
Left/Right Arrow: Run left or right.
Down: Crouch, or roll when running.
Z: Start game, Jump.
X: View instructions, Open/Close Sock menu.

Collect of the dots, while avoiding or attacking the Ghosts; Dot Gobbler's only attack is to roll into enemies. Red dots will restore health. Socks can be collected, and worn using Sock stations, increasing Dot Gobbler's abilities. This will allow him to reach new areas.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hey, everyone! So I am NOT good at math. It's something that I usually figure out once through trial and error and try not to touch ever again. So I'm turning to the more mathematically capable among us to help me decide on something: should I use a new method of determining the distance between two x/y coordinates?

Here's what I've been using up to this point:

function dist(x,y,x2,y2)
 --gets the distance between
 --two points. faster than
 --the previous version.
 local dx, dy = x - x2, y - y2
 local res=(dx * dx + dy * dy)
 if res<0 then
  res=32767
 end
 return res
end

This is the best I could figure out, and I'm sure it can be improved. It overflows, despite my best efforts to prevent it, but it was passable as long as I worked within its limitations.

Here's what I'm thinking might work better:

function xdist(x,x2)
 --gets the distance between
 --two coordinates.
 return abs(x-x2)
end

In theory, this has no complicated math, and could be used to build another function with the same purpose as the original, even though this only works with two. But here's my question: is it faster? Is the math right?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #hackattack-0 | 2019-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I recently created this game for TweetTweetJam3 in exactly 560 characters!

The objective of the game is to hack through as many layers of security as you can by matching the wave signals that are presented on screen before time runs out.

Press X to start, and use the up/down/left/right keys to adjust your wave (white) to match the green one. Plays quite nicely on a gamepad as well if you have one on hand. :)

The further you get, the more unstable the waves will become, making them more difficult to match!

Hope you enjoy :)

4 comments

Hello! On the Carts category page https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?cat=7&sub=2 , the three featured carts at the top are not real links (a elements), but divs with a custom JavaScript handler. This does not work with all the tools that know about links: ctrl+click to open in a new tab, middle click, long press on mobile, bookmark link, contextual menu, search links in page, etc. Please consider changing this!

4 comments

Cart #flappy_pico-3 | 2019-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my Flappy Clone! 頑張って!

1.03 -- added sound and screen shake

2 comments

Cart #xzero-3 | 2020-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hack all the terminals and defeat the boss.

This is my attempt at making a polished game in a week and a half, although it ended up being 2 weeks. I had to drop a few features I wanted to put in due to time, and code ended up getting a bit messy. Still, I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

The frame rate can drop sometimes, particularly in the later parts of the game when there are a lot of enemies around.

UPDATE
Removed a tiny amount of unused code and added as many comments as I could fit without going over compressed size.

UPDATE 2
Added the ability to swap jump and shoot buttons because the defaults felt awkward in gamepad. Also fixed a couple of minor audio bugs.

52 comments

Hi!

I´m new to pico 8 and I do my first steps in moving an sprite through an dungeon.

that works well, but i the sprite moves on and on while keeping the button pressed

I want to stop after moving one tile in the pressed direction

so for moving on and on you have to press the button over and over again

How can I do this?

I tried it whith

repeat
until btn()==true
return

but it doesnt work

Thanks for help!!

2 comments

I've got Pico-8 running nicely on my Raspberry Pi through Retropie/Emulation Station now, but there's one minor annoyance.

It's a bit of a faff to have to reach over to the keyboard to hit Ctrl-R to start a game or Windows+Q to exit back to ES. It'd be really handy to be able to map those commands to a couple of the spare buttons on my arcade stick.

I see there's a file called sdl_controllers.txt, containing the text // add SDL2 game controller mappings to this file, but that's ALL it says. There are no clues as to what it wants that file to contain in order to map anything. config.txt also includes these lines:

// Custom keyboard scancodes for buttons. player0 0..6, player1 0..5
button_keys 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

but again, heaven knows what that means. KEYCONFIG is no good, it only lets you redefine the two Pico controller action buttons, not the other ones on my arcade stick.

Can anyone help?

7 comments

Almost beta baby

Cart #hupakawpe-0 | 2019-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

sst
by dw817
Cart #sst-0 | 2019-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, type:

load #sst

Use the ARROW KEYS to navigate and the (O) key to flip back and forth between 2D stars and 3D stars.

Sphere Stars as I call them has always been something to elude me. While I spent literal months on and off years ago back in QBasic trying to reproduce the "bowl" effect, I was never entirely successful.

Thanks to @freds72 he showed me it is indeed possible to reproduce. And maybe that was the push I needed to try one more time using a method I knew would benefit me later.

What method is that you ask ?

I have remapped every single pixel on the screen to a circular bowl. So when you plot on the screen instead of a rectangle you are actually drawing in a bowl and you get that nice curved effect when you navigate around the 2D star array.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #refifomope-0 | 2019-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I don't know about anyone else, but I can never resist a proper Christmas game. So what better time to make a Christmas-themed pico-8 game?

In Last Christmas, you play Santa, desperately attempting to deliver presents during an apocalyptic meteor strike. Can you save Christmas and deliver presents to boys and girls before their homes are destroyed, or will you leave their final moments on Earth marred by disappointment, believing - as they face incineration - that they just didn't make the Nice List this year?

It's up to you. Don't let them down.

10 comments

Cart #three_sokoban_levels-0 | 2019-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #versun_pan-1 | 2019-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

p8r
by dw817
Cart #p8r-4 | 2019-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS GAME in immediate mode, type out:

load #p8r

It seems a shame to leave ZEP's own marvelous JELPI sprites behind on just his opening demo cart, so I borrowed them for my latest game, Pico-8 Roadway !

Based upon the Atari 2600 game called FREEWAY:

https://youtu.be/3ICFiRZ-xSA?t=6

To move the 1st player forward, press (O) or equivalent.

To move the 2nd player forward (if desired), press the 2nd player (O) key, usually TAB.

Uses my collision function:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36034

Game saves CARTDATA high-score.

Note: if you have any suggestions or ideas on making improvements in this game, please let me know and chances are - it will happen. :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->