BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #renai_circulation_wip-0 | 2019-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first PICO-8 thing!

(Excuse the crooked writing, it was done in a hurry by a non-Japanese borderline dysgraphic person xd)

All weebs stand up for our national anthem... in 8-bit form.

I bought PICO-8 at the start of this week, and it instantly became my favourite tool for making chiptune music. That said, this is my first piece of music made with PICO-8, so feedback would be greatly appreciated. <3 (It isn't the whole song, it loops btw.) And to those who know the song: did I do a good job? xd

3 comments

Just wait a bit until the demo toggles the morphing to all objects.

Cart #threeddots2-1 | 2019-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #boaty-2 | 2019-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, I wanted to make a pirate game and I thought it would be cool if there were actual sailing mechanics.
So I decided that I would start with that.
I'm quite happy with the results so far but would no like to add land, birds and also make a bigger ship with some cannons or something.But i think the basics are here.

--controls
left and right - sailing
Z - sail up or down

If you have any suggestions feel free to give them.

1 comment

This is my tribute to one of my favourite games growing up: Boulder Dash on the C64.

This is version 0.81 and I've been testing the various levels (together with my boy's Lucas and Finn) but won't move it to version to 1.0 until we've checked they can all be completed.

I've thrown in a few puzzle levels at the end for good measure and the original music when selecting a start level.

Cart #boulderrun-2 | 2019-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #autismpride_greetcart-0 | 2019-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a bit late (2 days to be exact, Autistic Pride is June 20th) to the autistic pride party, but hey, better than nothing!
this cart is a little greetcart with the neurodiversity logo and several musical themes from media containing autistic characters. can you guess all the themes?

made with love by adrian09_01 for Autistic Pride Day 2019.

3 comments

Cart #cosmic_cab-1 | 2019-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[UPDATE 1.0]
Embedded new sprite sheet as provided by @ghostneedle to improve platform color coding.

A brand new take pure arcade take on Space Taxi from Muse in 1984!

Start a new cab business and master gravitational physics and expert timing to navigate your cosmic cab to pickup and drop off travelling folk who are of course always in a hurry! Naturally you'll be competing with a privatised public transport service that won't hesitate to nick your customers right in front of you! Also, don't forget to get fuel before you run out, but watch out for gravity defying rolling fuel barrels getting in your way! How long will you last and how much value will you gain for your enterprise?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

18 comments

Cart #doyadijigo-3 | 2021-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

New game inspired by an old Basic Apple II's game (better know as ROBOTS)with my arcade touch! Enjoy!!!

escape from bandits who run
after you and reach the
exit on top.

you got limited amo gun on
each levels to kill them.
push 🅾️ for fire mode and
then ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ for shot's
direction.

mine bombs are invisible to
bandits! trick them by make them
running thru it to eliminated themselves like idiots!

You get bonus of 100 pts when finish a level
and 10x the number of not used bullets(ammo)to the score

5 comments

Scenario 1 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the keyboard to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the keyboard (Alt + left)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is selected in the SFX editor.

Scenario 2 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the keyboard to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the mouse (click on the SFX tab)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is selected in the SFX editor.

Scenario 3 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the mouse to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the keyboard

Scenario 4 (bug, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the mouse to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the mouse (click on the SFX tab)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is NOT selected in the SFX editor. It looks like whichever SFX was previously selected in the SFX editor is there...or something. It's not what I expect.

Summary

• If the keyboard is used to select the note in the music editor, that SFX will be selected when switching to the SFX editor regardless of whether keyboard or mouse was used to switch to the editor
  • If the mouse is used to select the note in the music editor, that SFX is only selected if switching to the editor with the keyboard, which feels unintuitive/buggy.
  • this is in version 0.1.12c
0 comments

Cart #jostitle-7 | 2021-11-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jack of Spades is a game I made as a submission for GitHub's GameOff game Jam.

This is the latest version, with a lot more content than it had in the jam. I ended up making it a multicart, because I couldn't manage to keep it under the token/compression limits.

The game autosaves, you can play it on multiple sessions. It is played just with the mouse, so you can easily play on phones too.

There's an executable version here: https://bonevolt.itch.io/jackofspades

This is how to equip items (not explained during gameplay):

But you have to get the items first!

49 comments

How would you guys introduce someone to Pico-8? I guess I'm really asking two things here...how would you introduce someone to the playing side of Pico-8, or the making side of Pico-8? I've been thinking about it but it's kinda hard to explain the concept and appeal sometimes.

3 comments

Cart #simple_collision_det-2 | 2019-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[FIXED:] Bug that occured when the player was below the grey box. The program was detecting a collision even if it was far below the grey box.

Just a simple collision detection system saw on "Doc_robs" Youtube channel.
Checkout his work guys, it permits me to understand it in no time. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMNPEG4OPo

And here is a little drawing to understand the code, if you don't want to check the video.
Hope this could help somebody :).

3 comments

[sfx]

All the Giant Steps I could fit in a single Pico-8 cart. Includes three choruses of Coltrane's solo :)

6 comments

Cart #corruption_race-1 | 2019-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There are many carts on here that involve corruptions of existing games, but as far as I can tell this is something new: a game designed to corrupt itself from the start! Whether this makes for good gameplay is for you to decide. Spikes increase the rate of corruption, so you should probably avoid them. Go fast, and try to reach the end before the corruption takes over everything. You'll want to reset the cart if that happens. Good luck!

I haven't made this game alone, because it's my second on pico-8 and I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel. The biggest help came from @mhughson's Advanced Micro Platformer, which formed the base of the whole game. Without it, this game wouldn't have really been possible (or at least wouldn't have been as good), so big thanks to @mhughson for releasing it! The music is "Dimensional Gate" from @Gruber's

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #rocket_rivals-8 | 2020-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rocket Rivals, a one-button multiplayer game of brinkmanship.

Each player has a single control button that controls their thrust. Players earn points by flying higher than the other players, but lose everything if they hit the laser beam top of the screen.

Each match lasts one minute.

You can choose active players and their characters on the title screen (at the moment only controller 1 navigates the menu).

Credits:

8 comments

Cart #slimeyjump-2 | 2019-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Slimey, Jump! Is a tiny one-button platformer game with 28 levels and 4 bosses.
It's meant to be a simple but challenging game that everyone can enjoy, regardless of their skill level!

I hope you have fun and thank you for playing!

FEATURING:
28 handcrafted levels
4 bosses with unique dialogue
10 optional coins for those who like a challenge
Story about buying a cake
Short (~35 min)

Music & SFX by @Bibiki (he helped me a lot! thank you so much!)

--VERSION 2--

Thank you everybody for your kind/positive feedback! It makes me really happy to see that y'all enjoyed the game. I managed to fit this little update with:

Level Select
Death & Cake Tracker
Fixed some bugs
Fixed some typos (whoops)

(if you have an old save you'll, probably need to reset it: ENTER > RESET PROGRESS)

27 comments

Cart #dooart_pathfinding-0 | 2019-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I couldn't find any pathfinding example for pico-8 that could be used for non-grid movement, so I took this one and built on top it.

The necessity came when I started writing a game that had fluid movement inside a grid map (so rather than moving one tile at a time, the characters move one pixel at a time). Even with a tile-based map system, the collisions still had to be checked again for every pixel.

This cart visually shows how the pathfinding works:

• Yellow squares: path found with the grid pathfinding.
  • White line: path to the next grid tile, found with the pixel pathfinding.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #stereogram-0 | 2019-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart allows you to create simple "Magic Eye"-style stereograms: 3D images hidden inside a field of seemingly random dots.

Create stereograms by drawing a depth map. This is a picture where different colours signify different distances from the object to the camera. When you're finished, select "make stereogram" to turn your depth map into a stereogram.

These stereograms are designed for parallel viewing. Relax your eyes and allow them to diverge, as if looking through the screen at something much farther away. The two black dots at the bottom of the picture should become three dots, with the middle one in focus. Then the hidden 3d image will emerge. If you're having trouble seeing the pictures, you can search online for "

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #menojumagu-1 | 2019-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Scaled text without any lost cartridge/screen data? At last we have it, and to that I say:

[sfx]

Everything you need to start scaling your text is in tab 0 of this cart. If you don't feel like looking at the cart, just copy-paste these fully-commented, fully-optimized routines you see here:

function mcpy(dest,src)
 --because poke4() is so
 --relatively fast, it actually

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=65232#p)
0 comments

Cart #gdiahaze-4 | 2019-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi!

Greyknurl Diahaze is a tile-based puzzle and treasure-collecting game with nine large levels. There's stuff to read and experiment with and a mysterious little story that unfolds along the way. It doesn't really entirely make sense, but that's part of the point! Don't get discouraged - most of the levels have multiple angles of approach, depending on the clothes you pick before the first level begins!

Cursor keys to move, (O) to reset the level. (O) is assumed to be Z.

Thanks for checking this out! If you liked the game, share your high score!

(four fixes:

• fixed score and hp clash with resetting the level

• unbroke the digging tool stats

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #road_rex-0 | 2019-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ROAD REX
After a day's work Road Rex just wants to get home like everyone else. Road Rex is a giant dinosaur with laser eye beams.

Get home as fast as you can! Beat your arch-rival, the quick and messy Blue Dinosaur (tm). Stop tv traffic choppers from getting footage of the mayhem you cause. Try not to get a speeding ticket from a speed camera (speed limit is 70mph in the UK) - but if you do, make sure you do it in style for extra points. Shove cars out the way and spill delicious lorry loads of kebabs, shoes and beans. Try to exit the motorway in the left lane and don't get lost!

Controls

Arrow keys right and left - accelerate and decelerate
Arrow keys up and down - switch lanes, aim lasers

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->