BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #roadrunner-0 | 2024-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first PICO-8 game! It's an endless runner. I hope you enjoy it.

Controls:

• Up and down arrow keys to hop
  • Buttons to speed up

Rescue eggs, and don't crash into anything.

Developer notes

My original idea was to create a one-button game, but it ultimately evolved into three buttons. I also originally intended to make a cowboy-themed game, but it was too difficult to animate horses so I went in a different direction.

Originally the game had a more elaborate design with "bosses" that needed to be chased or outrun, and some more complex rules around generating obstacles. In the end it felt clunky -- it made the code a lot messier but didn't make it more fun. In the end I stripped that stuff out and stuck with the simple plan of going fast and avoiding obstacles.

Reflections on using pico-8

• Overall it has been a ton of fun! I am excited to make another pico-8 game (after some other projects)
  • This community is a great motivator. Seeing all of the cool games people make helped me get this to the finish line.
  • I really like that pico-8 provides self-contained tools for code, graphics, music, etc. It takes me back to developing games in Macromedia Director and Flash in the early 00s.
  • The platform limitations are mostly fine and definitely help to keep things in scope. The most frustrating limitation was the color palette - the game features a lot of earth tones which was sometimes hard to work out given the limited palette. Conversely, I like that the limited color palette means that it is easy to spot a p8 game.
  • Using an external code editor helped me a lot - largely because of better typography, as well as making it easier to divide the code into modules.
  • I never ran into the token limit, but it was a psychological barrier. I did some premature optimization early on to avoid it, which wasn't necessary.
  • I did very little on the sfx and music side. It seemed difficult to make subtle sounds like bird footsteps on sand. I would like to go back and explore these features more, though I'm not musically inclined.
9 comments

I'm working on a game that notes how high players climb. Right now I'm trying to put together a "ruler" that stays on the left side of the screen and scrolls with the player, letting them know at a glance how far they've traveled. Every 50 pixels, the ruler has a slightly longer line, and a printed numerical value indicating the corresponding height. Here's what I have so far.

Cart #fozadasohu-0 | 2024-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Right now, the ruler is powered by a for loop in the function draw_elevation(), which means that it has a definite start and end. Could anyone recommend a method for making the ruler extend in both directions indefinitely (without crashing PICO-8)? My efforts to try while and repeat loops have failed. (Bonus points for making the 0 line start at the bottom or center of the screen!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #ludo_2bc-2 | 2024-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ludo is a single player PICO-8 version of the classic board game. You may also know it by a number of other names and variations, like Sorry! or Parcheesi, and it may have led to a family fight or two way back when. Ah, memories!

The goal of the game is to get all 4 of your tokens around the board and safely into your home row before someone else beats you to it. There's danger around every corner though! If another player lands on one of your tokens, it gets sent back to the start circle. But you can also send your opponents back to their start circles by landing on their tokens. How rude! The player who gets all of their tokens into the last 4 slots of their home row is the winner.

Rules

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

I cannot successfully paste sprites in the Education Edition in either Chrome or Firefox.

Reproduction steps

1. Go to https://www.pico-8-edu.com/
  2. Hit escape
  3. Click the sprite editor tab
  4. Draw a red cross in sprite 1
  5. Press ctrl+c. See "copied 1x1 sprites"
  6. Select sprite 2
  7. Press ctrl+v. See "pasted 1x1 sprites"

Although the text "pasted 1x1 sprites" appears, sprite 2 remains blank

Reproduction 2

1. Go to https://www.pico-8-edu.com/
  2. Hit escape
  3. Click the sprite editor tab
  4. Fill sprite 1 red
  5. Fill sprite 2 blue
  6. Select sprite 1
  7. Press ctrl+c.
  8. Click the code editor tab
  9. Press ctrl+v. Observe pasted text is mostly 8s (for red).
  10. Click the sprite editor tab
  11. Select sprite 2
  12. Press ctrl+v(!). Observe sprite is unchanged. (EDITED - I had this wrong originally.)
  13. Click the code editor tab
  14. Press ctrl+v. Observe pasted text is mostly Cs (for blue)!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #bikerage-0 | 2024-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

The objective is to guide the white cat to the goal (maze exit; marked with a yellow circle).
You can only move cats by dragging them by their front or back paws! Use Z to grab or release a cat. Hold X to reset a level.

There's only nine levels so far, roughly ordered by difficulty.

Cart #iliazeus_longcats-0 | 2024-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Tablut

A two-player, turn-based board game, where a king in his castle is ambushed from all sides and must escape.

How To Play

Player One plays as the attacking team (red pawns), and Player Two plays as the defending team (blue pawns).
The king starts at the center position, and is marked with a golden crown.

When selecting a pawn, valid moves are marked on each tile on the board. You can move horizontally or vertically by selecting a pawn and then selecting any valid position that is marked on the board.

To kill an enemy, you must surround them from two sides, either horizontally or vertically.
For example (o represents an attacker, x represents a victim):

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #soduky-0 | 2024-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First version of Soduky, a sudoku solver
next version will have a grid generation too
dont hesitate to give me more ideas

1 comment

@zep o/

0.2.6b / linux:

1. launch pico8 executable
  2. run poke(0x5f54,0x80) (in the console)
  3. run reboot
  4. run poke(0x5f54,0x80) (copied from the 0.2.6 release notes)
  5. the executable crashes

Step 2 is optional -- it still crashes in step 5 if you skip step 2
In Step 4, running poke(0x5f54,0x60) instead does not crash.

I'm not sure how to get a stacktrace on my machine, or if it's even possible. this is the best I know how to do:

> coredumpctl debug
           PID: 12604 (pico8)
           UID: 1000 (pancelor)
           GID: 1000 (pancelor)
        Signal: 11 (SEGV)
     Timestamp: Tue 2024-06-18 18:51:34 PDT (3min 17s ago)
  Command Line: /home/pancelor/.config/itch/apps/pico-8/pico-8/pico8 -root_path /run/media/pancelor/data/Users/pancelor/Documents/pancelor/src/pico8/
    Executable: /home/pancelor/.config/itch/apps/pico-8/pico-8/pico8
 Control Group: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/[email protected]/app.slice/app-pico8-b4acdb07c9cf4629b15a6b78f024fa7f.scope

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=150091#p)
0 comments

Cart #espigavazia-1 | 2024-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ops! All of the corn pieces are all around! Try to collect all of them to save the June Festival! Play intersting minigames to earn the remaining corn pieces.

By: viniciusxbox

6 comments

Cart #jman64-0 | 2024-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #airship-0 | 2024-06-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey, so I'm back with another visual...

so I made this to practice animating tiles (the woman's hair) and to practice trigonometry in PICO-8.

Enjoy!

2 comments

A Tiny Intro, made at my first demo party, NOVA (UK). :-)

256b ROM and more info here:
https://github.com/ace-dent/demo-toybox/tree/main/NOVA2024

Cart #print_nova-0 | 2024-06-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #slots_o_stickers-0 | 2023-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Slots-O-Stickers

Made a lil slot machine / sticker collecting game :)
This was a Christmas gift for my partner but I figure you all might enjoy it was well <3
[8x8]

6 comments

On all threads containing an embedded cart, I am unable to see the Code by clicking Code and I see a horizontal scrolling bar (that does nothing) instead.

I can still download the .p8.png fortunately (and that's required to also get data/resources anyway) but sometimes I just want to have a peek at some algo before deciding to dive deeper or not.

1 comment

Cart #mini_mancala-3 | 2024-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just wanted to share my second PICO-8 game. I've been chipping away at this slowly for the last few months and was inspired this week to finally finish it!

Play against a friend via pass-and-play or challenge the computer. For fun, you can even pit two computer players against each another. Use it as the world's slowest coin-tossing machine! :)

3 comments

Cart #loom-2 | 2024-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Loom 1.2

A Laser-packed game, how long can you survive?
This game was made in two days. If anyone wants to make some good music then please do so, thanks.
You can pause to go to clean mode or enable quick death. Also you can reset your highscore.
My best is 65 seconds. I just updated the game, is it better with the more askew lasers?

Stages

Stages will be added to the game the more score you get. if you are at the very beginning, its easy.
But the longer you survive, the more things will be added to the game to make it harder.

• Just lasers

• Aim Lasers

• Super Lasers & even more Aim Lasers

• Cluster drop-Lasers & even even more Aim Lasers

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

this game will come soon

0 comments

Cart #woodworm-0 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hiya! I've been working on this little puzzle game for a few months and its finally done!

Thanks to @Trog for the lovely font, and everyone who playtested and/or gave feedback.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy! 🐛

35 comments

Version 0.9: monster graphics!

Cart #teddblue_monv9-0 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

features

• Mons in save data
  • Image decompression system added
    • based off the system used in the gen 1 and 2 pokemon games with some changes to better fit pico-8
  • Display mons in battle mode
  • mon info menu system
    • view mons
    • view stats, moves, info
    • change mon placement
  • mons appear on start menu
    • i thought it would be a fun way to show off all the cool monsters that are in the game so far
    • you cant catch all of the ones shown
  • cleanup and token saving measures

story time

Hello! this update came out really fast as far as this major feature being added. this is because i had been working on this part in a separate project as i was making the rest of the engine. It loads an image compressed into a string. there are some improvements i wouldve wanted to make but it didnt seem worth the token cost. anyways it works now. this was a major feature that i had to have in the game for it to be worth the challenge.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->