BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #pck404_wfc_stm-0 | 2022-10-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my take on the wave function collapse algorithm in one of its simple variants : the simple tiled model.

Given a set of tiles and some adjancency rules, the algorithm tries to produce an image. It can be used for levels generation, pattern-like backgrounds and can also be used for non-visual data.

How does it work ?

This cart contains a few demo tilesets and rulesets that you can navigate between with the left and right arrows.

Sometimes the algorithm gets stuck (shown with red tiles). This happens when there is a contradiction : the rules won't allow any tile to be placed on a position. Press X or O to restart.

Yeah but, really, how does it work ?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

One-Off GFX

To display fullscreen images with a PRINT command. It doesn't take any space in your spritesheet, it uses p8scii one-off characters all in one string (~3000chars if used properly).

This is an old school method widely used in the 80s (e.g. on ZX Spectrum): each 8x8 block had a foreground (ink) and background (paper) colour, monochrome but using the colours well would deliver excellent pictures for title screens.
Now, One-Off GFX is based on that method but could also have more than two colours in a single block (at the expense of extra chars).
So -differently from other image compression methods- it doesn't really matter:

• how complex the pixel patterns are in the gfx (dithered or plain)
  • how many colours are present overall on the screen

It just depends on how many colours are present in each 8x8 block; better keep it less than 4 and possibly just 2 in most of the blocks choosing wisely while drawing or editing the pic. A good drawing tool to improve monochrome skills is Multipaint (choose c64 hires mode)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Yo @zep,

I realize returning nil out of bounds is less "friendly"-seeming, but after reading another post in here, I realized it's way more useful.

For one thing, it should make this work:

plain_text = "my thing that is mine"
label = ""
for c in all(plain_text) do
  if c == ' ' then
    label ..= '_'
  else
    label ..= c
  end
end
print( label )  -- "my_thing_that_is_mine"

(Right now it never stops because the iterator keeps seeing "" instead of the nil it needs to terminate.)

And for another, returning a nil is much more likely to alert a programmer that their code is probably malfunctioning than returning an empty string. Accessing out of bounds is usually erroneous and should therefore trigger errors.

I realize some apps are probably already abusing the fact that you get an empty string when referencing past the end of the string, but really that's a bad programming pattern to be teaching people anyway. It's lazy, you should know where the end of the string is and stop there instead of expecting the OS/API to be your nanny and stop you from walking off of a cliff.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #snake_plus-0 | 2022-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Snake+

For my first "completed" project, I wanted to build something small and fun while getting familiar with Pico-8 and lua.

I'm not sure if I'll continue working on this, but would love any ideas/suggestions!

1 comment

Cart #bogs_beans_v0_6_1-0 | 2022-10-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

older versions:

Cart #bogs_beans-0 | 2022-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My new game - made in pico 8 edu

-plot-
Bogg's 9 beans have gone missing!
He needs at least 4 to make his casserol!
Now go find them inside the mountain and bring them back to his house!

-controls-
arrows to move
x to see inventory

-Code by me (toblerone aka rinkachi-rinkitata) -
-Thanks to @thattomhall for who stole the coal? https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=40913 -

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Small minesweeper clone.
Keyboard controls: Arrows to move yellow selector. x to flag, z to sweep.
Mouse controls: left click to sweep, right click to flag.

sweeping on already cleared cells auto-flags or auto-sweeps if the solution for the square is clear from the label and adjacent uncleared or flagged cells.

Cart #sweeper-0 | 2022-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hey all,

So what I'm trying to do is this... I've used a rotary spinner controller that reads as a mouse axis on other platforms before (Unity). I can get the 'velocity' of the spinner controller by reading the difference in mouse X values between frames. I enabled mouse support on PICO-8 to try a similar thing with PICO (a rotary spinner PICO-8 game! How cool would that be, right?); however, I noticed the mouse position no longer updates beyond the end of the screen, which is somewhat expected. In fact, I don't know why it works on Unity/Windows. This means the 'spinner' has a definite start and stop and I can't spin the spinner indefinitely and continue to measure its virtual velocity in this way.

Is there a way.... to 'write' a new mouse position so I can have the mouse 'wrap' around the edge of the screen? I know this is sort of an.... off the wall issue to be having but any thoughts are appreciated!

Nick

3 comments

Cart #pico_pong_online-3 | 2022-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NOTE: In order to play this game online, go to https://pico-pong-online.herokuapp.com/

This game is one example of how to make online multiplayer games with pico-socket, a new library that I've been working on, that came out of a collaborative project with Ethan Jurman and his Tiny Tanks game

You can read some of the finer details about the pong game here: https://github.com/JRJurman/pico-pong-online

For a smaller example, and details around the library, and how to use it, check out the project on github. Below is an abridged version of the README and how it works:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #spacewar_pico-1 | 2022-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, it's me again! After finishing the Asteroids clone, I wanted to make a "sister" game of sorts, so I made a Spacewar clone! Including gravity, and a sun to crash into! No AI, so you need a second player to play this with! It took a bit of time to get the second player to work, having to convert the player into a tabled object. I hope this one works well, too!

Thank you very much!

1 comment

Cart #jegurokug-1 | 2022-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello, im wondering why the velocity and acceleration (vx and va) dont go to zero when you go left then let go.
Also note that the maximums are different.

Controls:
Left -- go left
Right -- go right
X -- force vx and va values to zero

is this just a quirk with pico-8?

Code:
[hidden]

function _init()
x=0
vx=0
ax=0
end

function _update60()
	if btn(➡️) then
		ax+=.01
	end
	if btn(⬅️) then
		ax-=.01
	end
	if btn(❎) then
		ax=0
		vx=0
	end

vx+=ax
	x+=vx

vx*=.9
	ax*=.9
end

function _draw()
	cls()
	line(x,0,x,127,7)

print(vx.." velocity",0,0,2)
	print(ax.." acceleration")
	print(x.." x")

end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #frozen_laser-2 | 2022-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can you manage the endboss?
This is a shoot-em-up mini-game.

It is very short. But my boys and I are proud to have programmed our first own computer game.

Update v1.1:

• Collision behaviour of bullets on walls
  • Nomalised movement in diagonal directions

Thanks to Ancient Pixel, phil, Aktane and otto_piramuthu for their help and ideas

3 comments

Cart #bizomopiro-4 | 2022-10-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Recreation of the board game. Menu music by Robby Duguay.

8 comments

[128x128]

𝕳𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔 𝕭𝖔𝖎𝖑𝖘 & 𝕲𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖘 !

What's that ? You got Halloween on the brain ? Well who wouldn't !

It's that spooky time of year where things go bump in the night and you watch scary movies with popcorn and friends.

So having looked at the many programs of LIFE and how the pixels behave I thought I would one up this and create DEATH. Yep. Truly a creepy decay program, based on GFA code I wrote 20-years ago called "Plague," although there I had true 24-bit color so it was much more colorful and spooky.

by dw817
Cart #mcaf-0 | 2022-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v00 10-20-22) TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #mcaf

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I'm working on a bullet pattern function that shoots out bullets in a direction, at a speed, etc...nothing fancy and nothing new to me, all my games have bullets! BUT this time some bullets are magically moving mid-stream and I can't figure out why.

See here...

I've narrowed it down to happening when bullets from the line ahead of it get deleted from the table. When a bullet goes off screen, I'm removing it from the table so as to not get overloaded and so on. Normal stuff. But when that deletion happens, the next bullet in the table magically moves out of line yet all the rest follow orders.

If there are 15 bullets in every line, why would the 16th bullet move when the ones ahead of it get deleted? Is it something to do with table order? Or some process not happening due to deletion time?

It's like the addition math gets skipped at that moment. Very weird...but also something I'm sure that is very simple I'm overlooking. Lord knows I've spent way too much time on whittling this down the simplest version and I'm not sure how to refactor any more. A man can only bang his head so much :)

Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions are appreciated.

Code for the example above.

function add_bullet(x,y,a,s)
	local dx=cos(a)*s
	local dy=sin(a)*s
	add(bullets,{x=x,y=y,dx=dx,dy=dy})
end

function bullet_update()
	for k,o in pairs(bullets) do
		o.x+=o.dx
	  o.y+=o.dy

if o.x>130 or o.x<-5 or o.y>130 or o.y<-60 then del(bullets,o) end
	end
end

function bullet_draw()
	for k,o in pairs(bullets) do
	 rectfill(o.x,o.y,o.x+1,o.y+1,8)
	end
end

function _init()
	fr=0
	bullets={}
end

function _update60()
	bullet_update()
	fr+=1
	if fr==50 then -- this is here to repeating demo only
		for i=1,15 do
			add_bullet(120,10+3*i,.5,1)
		end	
		fr=0
	end
end

function _draw()
	cls()
	bullet_draw()
end
2 comments

Cart #deepinthehouse-1 | 2022-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Deep in the House

Version 1.1

Deep in the House is a short horror game.

After a long and tiring walk, you wander into an old house with an open front door, hoping to find shelter.
As you enter the main hall, the door closes and locks itself behind you.
It looks like this house isn't as welcoming as you'd hoped...
Will you make it out alive ?

Explore the (many) rooms of the house as you try to find a way out.
You'll have to fight enemies, collect items and solve (simple) puzzles.

It is recommended to play with sound if you have the option.

Controls

Move with the arrow keys.
Tap left or right twice to run.

Press C to show the inventory and health status.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #kpjagugu-1 | 2022-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls & Rules

⬅️⬆️⬇️➡️ - Move the snake!
Z - Next line in conversation | Start game
X - Undo previous move | Respawn

Snakedventure

Move around the level finding fruits to eat and grow longer, but there'll also be rooms to unlock, NPCs to meet, and quests to complete! Once you've found all the fruits and are of the right size, slide your way into a very special sweater from a special someone.

Quarterly Made Games HK

Quarterly Made Games HK is game development collective based in Hong Kong with the aim of developing and finishing personal project(s) every 3 months. It’s low stakes, low pressure, and focused on motivating people with a shared environment and deadline.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #bruteforcepw-1 | 2022-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v01 10-20-22)TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #bruteforcepw

Hello.

I was looking at the source-code of @Guest122's program:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=119387

To guess someone's password and while his has a dictionary, I did want to point out just how quickly and how unsafe it is to have a small password for instance on one of your internet accounts.

So I wrote this program. What it does is allow you to input a 4-letter word via the regular joystick and then through brute force go from AAAA to ZZZZ to find what your password was, and tell you how long it took to search.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

My attempt at John Conway's Game of Life.

Press Z to bring up a settings menu or X to randomly fill the area with cells.

Note: At 64x64 and 128x128 the refresh rate will be very slow regardless of the fps setting.

Cart #jc_game_of_life-1 | 2022-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Is there a plan to add multiplayer to PICO8 ?

As it is a virtual console, it would be super awesome to have a native way of simply doing lockstep simulation with rewind to cope with network latency, but that means pico8 has to implement it. Ideally just relying on a STUN server, so it works without config on a LAN, and with very simple config on the Internet.

I don't know which category to post it, so if someone who know moves it to the correct one, I'd be glad.

8 comments

Cart #beamrider-0 | 2022-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 interpretation of the 1983 Activision game for the Atari 2600.

How to Play

Shoot all 15 UFOs to clear a sector.

Collect glowing power-ups but, if you shoot them, don't let them hit you!

Controls

[X] - Laser
[O] or [Up Arrow] - Missile

Thanks To

• Finn for testing
  • notehead (@noteheadmusic) for the excellent title-screen music

Version History

0.80 - 18-Oct-2022 - Released

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->