BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #char_maker-5 | 2021-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Currently exporting doesn't work in browser, so I would suggest running directly in Pico8. P.s. If there are any bugs or errors, please let me know! :)

CHAR MAKER!

As of 0.2.4, you can now add Custom One-Off Characters! This tool, allows you to easily make and export, your custom characters without the hassle of doing it by hand. Currently you can export the characters in both Hex and Binary Formats, but the tool only accepts the Hex Format or GFX directly from your game.

How To Use

In the black grid, left click with the mouse to draw white squares and right click with the mouse to draw black squares. To reset the grid, left click the bin icon.To change the colour of the Char, left click your intended colour from, the colour bar.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

function _init()
	cls()
	things = {}
	add_thing()
end

function _update()
	add_thing()

for t in all(things) do
		t:update()
	end
end

function _draw()
 cls()
	for t in all(things) do
		t:draw()
	end
end

function add_thing()
	add(
		things,
		{
		 my_color=rnd(16)-1,
			x=rnd(128),
			y=rnd(128),
			dx=rnd(2)-1,
			dy=rnd(2)-1,
			life=160,
			prevx=63,
			prevy=63,

draw=function(self)				
				pset(self.x, self.y, self.my_color)
			end,

update=function(self)
			 if (self.sprite_num == 1) then
			 	self.sprite_num = 2			 	
			 else
			 	self.sprite_num = 1
			 end
				self.prevx=x
				self.prevy=y
				self.x += self.dx
				self.y += self.dy

self.life-=1

if(self.life<0) then
					del(bullet,self)
				end
			end,						
		}
	)
end
0 comments

Cart #kirbys_big_bean_blast-0 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A Cover of the Beginner's room theme from Super star that was later remixed in Air ride.
Used Name registered's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zB6T_WgGqI) piano tutorial as reference.
Had fun making this, Hope you enjoy.
(Oh ya and lastly please credit me if you end up using this or whatever. Thanks!)

3 comments

Cart #cylinder_parallax_test-0 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was inspired by this tweet featuring cylindrical parallax:

https://twitter.com/GhostHandDev/status/1466440109654482952

And decided to recreate the effect in PICO-8. I tried making the code readable, so feel free to remix, improve, or reuse it in your own carts.

1 comment

It seems when the index parameters are out of bounds, sub now returns the last character in the string, instead of "", which breaks string parsing code.

As an example of incorrect result, sub("a",2,2) returns "a", whereas it's supposed to (and used to) return "".

3 comments

Cart #hadirufido-0 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just release my first game, it's a simple one player pong clone but it's the one game I actually finished lol

0 comments

This is #bubblecat-0

• It doesn't reload properly (launch it and then press ctrl-R; an "attempt to call a string value" error message appears, and is very different from the normal error messages. pico-8 is unresponsive after this)
  • It does reload fine through the menu (press P; choose "reset cart")

Cart #bubblecat-0 | 2021-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is #bubblecat-2

• It reloads just fine (using both methods)
  • However, reloading with ctrl-R causes a strange "loaded external changes" message

Cart #bubblecat-2 | 2021-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #big_integer-0 | 2021-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

@zep has added the ability to have long-integer access in numbers in these last few releases of Pico-8. While I would've preferred it to be a string of any length with any number of decimal places, this is the next best thing.

In this code I have written 4-functions to ease the use of this new 32-bit format.

They are:

stringadd()
stringsub()
stringmul()
stringdiv()

They are as simple to use as having the following code for multiplication:

a="32845"
b="40211"
print(stringmul(a,b))

The results will be:

Addition is easy too:

a="12345678"
b="87654321"
print(stringadd(a,b))

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #bugdefense-7 | 2022-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Bug Defense!

In this tower defense game, you have to ensure that bugs do not destroy your computer. Victory is achieved by fixing bugs.

Game Play

Bugs will move through the conductive tracks in your mainboard. Place your towers along the way to destroy the bugs before they get to the exit. All bugs can cause malfunction to your towers.

Controls

• Cursor movement: arrow keys

• Select and create towers: Z

• Cancel: X

If you had selected one type of tower and need to change to another type, press X to cancel the selection and Z to select the new tower.

Development

I made this game for the Game Off Game Jam: 2021. The theme was BUG

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #blockrect-1 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here is Blockrect, my Pico-8 version of the Game Boy Advance game "It's Mister Pants" from 2004.

The basic idea of the game is to create rectangles which have to be 2 by 3 blocks or larger to clear them from the grid.

Blocks cannot be placed on top of blocks of the same color that are already on the grid, but they can be placed on top of blocks of any other color which causes the different blocks on the grid to disappear.

Features:

• Normal mode

• 250 puzzles
    • 2 unsolved puzzles unlocked at a time
    • cheat mode
    • restart level, give up via menu
  • Freestyle mode

Have fun!

4 comments

I just recently found out that @zep has lost a lot of Pico-8 carts and games.

Go HERE for more details:

https://twitter.com/lexaloffle/status/1466758165429915650

Here is an example of a recent and now missing cart:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45524

ZEP needs our help in recovering them ! Check your backups, archive, and SPLORE saves.

Especially look in \backup\ which keeps a copy of every cart you load and save.

For Windows the default location of that folder is in

C:\users

Look for your user name, then change the address to:

c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\pico-8\backup

There you will see every cart you loaded and saved.

For every cart you loaded in SPLORE, that directory is:

c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\pico-8\bbs

Inside you'll see directories with digits and \carts\

Within these directories you will find all carts you loaded and played in SPLORE.

Hope This Helps !

0 comments

Cart #gravityduck-0 | 2021-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little platformer I made with my boys over the past couple of weeks. Hope you like it!

1 comment

PICO-8 0.2.4 is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP.

This update is another attempt at freezing the API before the last feature update (0.3 -- high scores), but let's see how it goes! 0.2.4 also includes an important security update (see below for details), so please do consider updating. Cartridges posted after this release post will only be visible from SPLORE when running 0.2.4 or later.

64k RAM

64K of Base RAM is now enabled by default. In 0.2.4 it is safe to PEEK/POKE/MEMCPY memory 0x8000 and above (i.e. -0x8000 .. -1) without setting the hardware extension bit at 0x5f36.

Because PICO-8's numbers only cover 0xFFFF, this means it is impossible to poke or memcpy out of range. The original motivation for having 32k by default was to give new programmers some concept of illegal memory operations, and as an extra form of feedback when code isn't working as expected. But over time, these reasons haven't proved as useful as the benefits of allowing 64k by default. Additionally, 0.2.4 introduces the first feature that explicitly uses the upper 32k section (see Big Maps).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

Cart #explore_dragon-8 | 2022-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Control the dragon to get all the beans while exploring a small world!

In Explore Dragon, you control a dragon that moves automatically by turning with the arrow keys/directional pad (left and right). Your objective is to collect all the dragon beans while avoiding walls and other obstacles.
Each time you collect a bean, the dragon gets longer, which makes avoiding obstacles harder. However, when your dragon power meter is full, the dragon's lenght resets!

Credits for additional code (these can also be found at the end of the game's code):
Azure, Groove,M.D., Kometbomb, Thykka, Yolwoocle, Daniel Shiffman's "The Nature of Code", MBoffin's "PICO-8: Smooth Map Screens" Tutorial.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #kisonecat_a5-0 | 2021-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try to sort the scrambled numbers.

2 comments

Monster Eye

Cart #monster_eye_1_0-0 | 2021-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A short RPG story inspired in old-school RPGs like Earthbound, Golden Sun and Pokémon. This is my first pico-8 game, hope you like it!

Controls:

Arrows: Move player - Move cursor
X: Interact - Select
Z: Open menu - Go back in menu - Close menu

Premise:

You are Rio, born with the monster eye, a special ability that allows you to learn the abilities of your opponents in battle. You must stop the never ending winter by defeating the evil idols that reside in the mountain. To do so, you will need to learn abilities, level up your stats, and re-spec your stats accordingly based on the enemies you encounter.

Battle reference:

There are three main stats:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #advent2021-21 | 2022-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi folks! If you were eagerly anticipating the Advent Calendar's return this year, do not fret! The shadowy cabal behind the calendar has not forgotten.

We've decided to release a slimmed-down calendar this year, with twelve entries for the 12 days of Christmas. Check back starting on December 14th for the usual daily installment of holiday cheer.

Happy Holidays from the Pico-8 Advent Calendar Team!

Game Threads:
Totally Accurate Holiday Bowling by @freds72: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45701
Mitt's Marble Adventure by @TheTomster: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45710
Winter Wars by @2Tie
2018 Throwback - Secret Santa by @Liquidream: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=59306

[ Continue Reading.. ]

27 comments

Cart #surnned-1 | 2021-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #santspants2-3 | 2021-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

[CURSOR KEYS]: Move character
[X,M,V]: Switch elf (if available)
[Z,N,C]: Switch outfit (if available)

Simply bump into things to INTERACT.
Stand still for a few seconds to view your INVENTORY.

About the game

Fiss the elf is once again on a mission to seduce Santa. This time, her life might just depend on it! Get help from friends, manage Fiss' libido and complete your horn collection to truly make it a Christmas Eve to remember!

A more ambitious sequel to last year's "Get in Santa's Pants".

No explicit content is shown, but the game contains suggestive themes, mountains of innuendo and teeny-tiny pixel butt.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

25 comments

I'm running the Linux version of Pico-8
The load command works with some carts but doesn't work with others. The only output from the pico-8 console is "could not load". If I launch splore, then I can launch all carts from splore.
I just recently reinstalled my system and the problem started after that.

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->