BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #spoiderboi-0 | 2021-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls: Tap Z to grapple, or release from swing

This is my submission to the #Pico1k jam, a jam challenging people to make something in PICO-8 using no graphical or sound memory, and only 1024 characters of code! I had to cut back a lot of my original expectations to get it under the size limit, but I'm glad that I was still able to submit something playable!

11 comments

As of 0.2.3, if you want to export a music composition in the tracker at the PICO-8 command line, the length of export caps at 32768 music ticks, or about four minutes and thirty-two seconds. To export something longer requires doing it in real time, be that five, ten, or seventy minutes, which is a pain and is slow.

Other exporters - sprite sheet, web application, binary - have flags to change how the export works; would it be possible to do something similar with the music/SFX exporter? Number of patterns played (or number of repeats, for a looping SFX) would seem the most intuitive for the end user, and (unlike music ticks) would involve numbers of a reasonable size, but I'm not attached to any specific solution.

1 comment

Cart #sdb_0_4-0 | 2022-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is version 0.4 of 'Super Drift Bikes'.

Changelog

• three tracks: green, desert, night forest
  • qualify to continue to next track
  • qualify on last track to win game
  • starting light sequence
  • signs to indicate turns
  • increased speed
  • steering less twitchy

Previous versions:

Cart #sdb_0_3-0 | 2021-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is version 0.3 of 'Super Drift Bikes'. The plan now is to add two more tracks, and then create a championship season where each race consists of 10 or 12 laps. Another idea is to add obstacles in addition to the opponents to make gameplay more interesting.

Changelog

• faster on corner inside
  • slower on corner outside
  • collisions with opponents
  • engine sound now less loud
  • overtaking sound
  • opponents steer around others

Controls

left / right = steer
z = throttle
x = brake

Cart #sdb_0_2-0 | 2021-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is version 0.2 of 'Super Drift Bikes'. The game now has the player race for positions, instead of against a time limit. The cpu bikes still exist when they go off screen and can actually catch up with you and lap you if you slow down too much. Collisions still have to be added and there is no lap limit or other end to the game yet.

Changelog

• race position
  • lapcount
  • clouds
  • desert theme
  • title screen

Cart #sdb_0_1-0 | 2021-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello all, this is version 0.1 of my motorcycle racing game. It is based on previous games I made for PC (and Ouya!) and inspired by the classic games such as Pole Position, Speed King and Super Hang On. I love Pico-8 so far and think I should have looked into it sooner!

The plan is to add a countdown timer. The current lap has to be completed before the timer reaches zero. There will be less time for each following lap, and the game is won by completing 10 laps. Collisions will slow you down.

12 comments

Cart #uno2player-0 | 2021-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A two player version of UNO (to play on the same device)

Probably not 100% the official rules but this is how we play it :)

• deal 2/2/3 cards for each player
  • then deal card(s) to see who can start --> max value wins (+2/change direction/skip/change color/+4 are ignored)
  • then deal start card (only cards 0..9 are accepted)
  • when player didn't say UNO --> 10 cards
  • skip/+2/change direction can be stacked
  • when +4 or change color --> turn is up to other player
  • when skip/+2/change direction --> turn is up to current player

The player names are stored in cartdata.

Credits:

• art based on ONU by @Munro
  • easing by @doc_robs
1 comment

Ok it may just be on my side, not 100% sure, but in splore is I do a single word search it will work:

But once I start to search for more than one word separated with spaces it will reply "cannot connect to the BBS":

(had to make two images, gif record do seems to stop as soon as the error pop up at the bottom)

I can't check right now, but I suspect it is linked with how the URL to search on the BBS is generated.

0 comments

Cart #terra_1cart-43 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You can get downloadable versions of Terra and the character editor which are usable offline from Terra's itch.io page!

Also, a member of the community has started work on a Fandom Wiki and Discord server.
I will contribute to these when I am available to do so.

A tiny fanmade demake of Terraria in PICO-8!
If you haven't already, please consider getting the original game. This is only a small portion of what Terraria has to offer!

And if you enjoy this demake, please consider supporting me by buying one of my other games over on itch.io: https://pixelshock.itch.io/

[ Continue Reading.. ]

536 comments

Cart #slowaf-1 | 2021-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This pico-8 3D engine is slow as f*** as of right now (~38 tris a frame). May improve in the future.

Based on javidx9 tutorial series and with some stolen code from electricgryphon's 3D library.

0 comments

Would be useful to have an export option (in the console and in the command-line interface) to get the label image as a PNG, to print labels for physical carts or for emulation frontend metadata for example. Could be 'export game.label.png', using the same resolution as GIFs.

9 comments

The code is showing a "attempt to preform arithmetic on global 'X1' ( a nil value)" line 30 tab 2. I have tried everything and nothing fixes it. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Please not that the code is not done yet.

pico-8 cartridge // http://www.pico-8.com
version 16
lua
--variables
function _init()
player={
sp=1,
x=59,
y=59,
w=8,
h=8,
flp=false,
dx=0,
dy=0,
max_dx=2,
max_dy=3,
acc=0.5,
boost=4,
anim=0,
running=false,
jumping=false,
falling=false,
sliding=false,
landed=false,
}

gravity=0.3
friction=0.85
end

-->8
--update and draw
function _update()
player_update()
--player_animate()
end

function _draw()

cls()
map(0,0)
spr(player.sp,player.x,player.y,1,1,player.flp)
end
-->8
--collisions
function _collide_map(obj,aim,flag)
--obj
--aim left right up down

local x=obj.x local y=obj.y
local w=obj.w local h=obj.h

local x1=0  
local y=0
local x2=0 

local y2=0

if aim== "left" then
    x1=x-1 y1=y
    x2=x   y2=y+h-2
elseif aim=="right" then
    x1=x+w y1=y
    x2=x+w+1 y2=y+h-1
elseif aim=="up" then
    x1=x+1  y1=y-1
    x2=x+w-1  y2=y
elseif aim=="down" then
x1=x  y1=y+h
x2=x+w y2=y+h
end
end

--pixels to tiles                ** <----- This is the error**
x1/=8 y1/=8
x2/=8 y2/=8

if fget(mget(x1,y1), flag)
or fget(mget(x1,y2), flag) 
or fget(mget(x2,y1), flag) 
or fget(mget(x2,y2), flag) then
        return true
else 
        return false
end

-->8
--player function
function _player_update()
--physics
player.dy+=gravity
player.dx*=friction
end
--controls
if btn(⬅️) then
player.dx-=player.acc
player.running=true
player.flp=true
end
if btn(➡️) then
player.dx+=player.acc
player.running=true
player.flp=false
end

--slide
if player.running
and not btn(⬅️)
and not btn(➡️)
and not player.falling
and not player.jumping then
player.running=false
player.sliding=true
end

--jump
if btnp(❎) 
and player.landed then
    player.dy-=player.boost
    player.landed=false
    end

--check colldie
    if player.dy>0 then
        player.falling=true
        player.landed=false
        player.jumping=false

if collide_map(player,"down",0) then
    player.landed+=true
    player.falling+=false
    player.dy=0
    player.y-=(player.y+player.h%8)
    end

elseif player.dy<0 then 
    player.jumping=true
    if collide_map(player,"up", 1) then
    plater.d=0
    end
end

--check collide l and r
    if player.dx<0  then
 collide_map(player,"left",1)       player.dx=0
      elseif player.dx>0 then
    if collide_map(player,"right",1) then
    player.dx=0
    end
    end

--stop sliding
    if player.sliding then
    if abs(plater.dx)<.2
    or player.running then
    plager.dx=0
    player.sliding=false

end

player.x+=player.dx
    player.y+=player.dy
    end
9 comments

Cart #flappybirbgame-0 | 2021-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

A de-make of the world's most loved and hated game of all time. De-made with a few extra features such as a high score counter, a death counter, and an extra birb color (green)

Controls

Flap

Press ⬆️, 🅾, ❎, ⏸ or up arrow key, Z, X, P to flap ya wings!

Credits

@rnd (making the PCM sampler)

4 comments

Hi. i found that code https://mboffin.itch.io/pico8-overlap
that checks for overlap.

But my initial thought was in term of sprites.
Since we can define sprites is there a simpler way to detect
when one sprite touched or overlapped another?

5 comments

WARNING

You probably shouldn't play the demo if you are prone to seizures. Consider yourself warned.

Cart #flicker_sprite_demo-0 | 2021-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I realized that you can have many more colors on screen, possibly including all the 32 base colors.

2 comments

I've seen that some people have made their own boot animation carts, but I would like to make my own, and have it where it will run a command at the end of the animation that makes Pico 8 boot into splore.

This is how it could work in a dedicated Pico 8 machine:

Turn on machine > autorun Pico 8 via bash script or something else with the -run animationcart.p8.png command at the end> animation runs > code at end of cart executes extcmd(splore) or another command that makes Pico 8 go to splore.

I've came up a idea to go around doing this, but it is too clunky. I could make a bash script that runs 2 instances of Pico 8 at the same time. One will boot into Pico 8 and run the cart, but shutdown that instance of Pico 8 afterwards, then the other Pico 8 instance would still be running and be in splore.

I would like to see this added in a future version of Pico 8 if possible. Thanks for making Pico 8 and have a great day.

3 comments

Cart #rhythm-1 | 2021-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is the start of my attempt to make a rhythm-based game
I apologize for the poor musical skills

v2: new spriteset, bug fixes, you can now die. (the effect is from Star Anise, but will change https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=76334#p)

2 comments

Hello again. I've been working on different ideas for running Pico 8 games on physical media.

I've tried SD cards and while they are cool and can function as cartridges, they tend to have too much storage and I find that wasteful when Pico 8 games are less than a megabyte. I have been experimenting with other ideas such as using 3.5" floppies. They are much more smaller in storage compared to a SD card, but they have their own setbacks.

What would you recommend I try to use as physical media for Pico 8 games? I could try ROM cartridges, but they will probably be the most expensive route and be the most complicated.

Here is a picture of a Pico 8 game I put on floppy.

The tutorial I made for mounting SD cards 'should' work for floppies with slight changes.
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=44530

I'm not going to sell Pico 8 games that aren't mine on physical media, I'm just trying out new ideas.

6 comments

Cart #churchofthedevil-3 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game,
in this game you need to unlock you and 12 other people from their home and go to the "satanic church".
This game contains references about black metal.
keys are hidden under trees and rocks
The music is made by GRUBER.

1 comment

Cart #zifobejaka-1 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

taipei1k # game in 1023 bytes

protect taipei! destroy the aliens & avoid the bullets.

type: game (demo)
size: 1023 bytes
features:

• galaga-like gamemechanic
  • gamemechanic
  • procedural sprites
  • procedural music

enjoy

0 comments

Cart #aniwiggle-0 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLS
←→ arrow keys
move between frames
↑↓ arrow keys
change animation speed
zx change draw color

ABOUT

I started this project on a 3 hour plane ride where I finished most of it project and had a lot of fun with it. A couple months later and I finally managed to get back to it to add saving/loading, bug fixes, onion skins and sound effects! I hope you enjoy this as much as I have while working on it ♥

If you enjoy it please consider donating so I can eat and pay rent 🙏
You can donate here: https://voxeledphoton.itch.io/aniwiggle

1 comment

The PICO-8 manual as it stands today is flawed. What I mean by that is not only is it organized in such a way that makes it harder to gleam certain information out of it, but it also has flaws and inconsistencies with what the PICO-8 actually is. It also omits important information, such as cycle count and the extra 16 colors. eevee has already taken note of some of these flaws, but I still believe there may be more out there. There's the PICO-8 wiki, but that's not fully documented either. What we need is a new way of organizing known information about the PICO-8 into a manner which makes sense and is simple to use.

I propose the creation of a PICO-8 technical manual, a manual that fully documents everything the community knows about the PICO-8, both it's version of lua and it's editors, as well as the programs on it. It will be a collaborative project. Alternatively, we could fix the current PICO-8 wiki in such a way that it accounts for these flaws, is more detailed and easier to use. Both of these options I think could really help people like me who wish to delve deeper into how it works exactly.

7 comments

Cart #bufaghyu-2 | 2021-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Figured Pico-8 needed a Burgertime! This is a Burgertime demake, it uses about half the resolution of the original. I tried to make it as true to the arcade version as possible. Includes all 6 levels, as well as the level 28 kill screen.

Did my best on the AI for the enemies and speeds, but with the size differences, and a few other things, probably plays slightly different than the bigger arcade version- but pretty close! I also tried to reproduce some of the bugs- for example it only shows up to level 18 in the HUD (3 times through the levels), as well as 9 lives, even though you can get more lives and keep going- just like the original.

This was one of my favourites on the Intellivision back in the day, so enjoy!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->