Follow
Soundole

VGM cover artist, amateur game dev, vegan junk food aficionado.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #hersheys_train_line-0 | 2023-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Press 'Z' or 'X' to toggle the mouse cursor when playing on a desktop.

Hershey's Train Line is a present for my son, Hershel, for his 3rd birthday. Draw a path around the obstacles to get the train from one side of the screen to the other!

At any intersection, the train always follows a straight path when possible. When faced with a T intersection, the train always turns left.

If you've got any young people in your family that are as into trains as my son is, I hope this makes them smile!

P#128759 2023-04-19 19:20

Cart #voxeltestflight-0 | 2022-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a little test project that I made to try out very simple rendering from a height map. It uses code similar to a raycaster, but checks the height at regular distances all along the ray. It renders from front to back, with an algorithm to stop it drawing over anything previously drawn. It uses the diamond-square algorithm to generate the terrain height map, and reads from a chunk of sprite memory to texture the ground.

Arrow keys move the camera. There's no game mechanics, or functionality beyond just flying around. I'm not ruling out coming back to this, but I think my curiosity about these sorts of systems is satisfied for now. I have even more respect for people who have made fun and playable games out of this sort of tech!

P#121109 2022-11-21 17:13

Cart #hersheys_balloon_pop-0 | 2022-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little balloon-popping game made in PICO-8!
If you're running this on desktop, press X or Z to enable a mouse cursor.
This works with touch-screen support on some mobile browsers, but on many platforms, audio issues and lag may be present.

This is a present for my son's second birthday. He's pretty addicted to a balloon-popping game on his mum's mobile, so I wanted to make something that I knew he'd enjoy!

Happy birthday Hershel! You might not be old enough to read this yet, but I hope that one day you stumble upon this when you're older, and remember how loved you are.

P#110408 2022-04-18 14:43 ( Edited 2022-04-18 14:44)

Cart #picokarts-0 | 2022-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico Karts is a pseudo-3D racing game, modelled after the style of Outrun or Hang-On! This started from an experiment to produce a pseudo-3D scrolling road, and was gradually built up from that concept to a complete game. While I'm sure there are plenty of things I could add or improve, I'm happy to ship this little project and move on to the next thing :)

Controls:

Left/Right Arrow Keys: Steering
Down Arrow Key: Brake
Z: Accelerate
X: Boost (when boost meter is full)

The boost meter fills up as you drive, and is reset any time you hit an object or drive off the road.

If you'd prefer to switch the colour alignment between the road and the sides of the road, press X at the title screen (this may reduce eye strain for some people).

Courses:

Easy: Gentle curves in the sunny morning. Other drivers maintain a consistent course, and the time limit is generous.
Medium: Desert dunes at dusk. Some tight corners, and some other drivers will swerve across the road. A moderate challenge with some room for error.
Hard: A metropolis at night. Frequent tight turns, erratically swerving drivers, and a brutal time limit with little room for error. A serious challenge.

I'd love to see your top times!

P#106264 2022-02-03 16:33 ( Edited 2022-02-03 16:48)

Cart #blockbop560-1 | 2021-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My submission for TweetTweetJam 7 - a Breakout-like game using 560 characters!

Check out the other TweetTweetJam7 submissions: https://itch.io/jam/tweettweetjam-7

Some of the other submissions I've seen so far are mind-blowing, and certainly give inspiration for the future!

Controls:
Arrow Keys: Move Paddle
Z: Restart

P#100476 2021-11-20 05:16

Cart #pumpkinlight-0 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Every year on All Hallows' Eve, the ghosts of this mausoleum compete to see who can light the most jack-o'-lanterns in a minute! The other ghosts won't make it easy for you - these jack-o'-lanterns are full of ghosts, and they'll spit seeds at you to slow you down!

Use arrow keys to move, Z to throw torches. Your score goes up by 1 for each lantern you light, and down by one for each time you get hit. If you're looking for a challenge, see how high a score you can get while also getting the two golden medals!

Happy Halloween everyone! Putting this together has been a delight, I hope you enjoy it too!

Credits:
Art: Soundole and Bookwyrmle
Everything else: Soundole

P#99411 2021-10-31 06:11 ( Edited 2021-10-31 06:13)

Cart #spoiderboi-0 | 2021-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls: Tap Z to grapple, or release from swing

This is my submission to the #Pico1k jam, a jam challenging people to make something in PICO-8 using no graphical or sound memory, and only 1024 characters of code! I had to cut back a lot of my original expectations to get it under the size limit, but I'm glad that I was still able to submit something playable!

P#97308 2021-09-14 13:19 ( Edited 2021-09-14 13:19)

Cart #featherstoneruins-0 | 2021-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Featherstone Ruins is a survival-horror game with gameplay similar to 'Slender', which I slowly built up out of some very basic raycaster code. I mainly made this as a learning exercise, and there's a thousand ways to make it more efficient and effective, but I'm happy to call it done and put what I've learned into practice on the next project!

Story:

Many years ago, a servant at the Featherstone Manor was unjustly tried as a murderer, and executed. His body was cut up, and hung around the surrounding farmland as a grim warning to others.

Since that wrongful execution, no-one at the manor has known peace. Rumours spread that the Featherstone Farm was haunted. The site was abandoned, and soon fell into disrepair. None of the curious souls who have ventured there have returned.

With oil-lamp in hand, you set out to bring peace to the Featherstone Ruins. If you can collect all four body parts hanging throughout the ruins, and consecrate them, the ghost will haunt this place no longer.

Controls:

Z - Collect body part/Consecrate body (when you have four body parts, do this at the shrine near where you start to win the game)
X - Hold to Strafe
Arrow Keys - Move Forwards, Backwards, and Turn Left/Right

Tips (spoilers):

The body parts spawn in several random locations each playthrough, but there is always one located in the forest (NW), storage sheds (SE), in the manor (N), and either the wooden barn (SW) or rocky grove (NE).

The shrine is always located near where you start, and marked with a big arrow.

The ghost speeds up as you collect more body parts, and will teleport to a location near you if you manage to escape him for long enough.

[0x0]

P#96673 2021-08-30 11:42

Cart #dominopolis-0 | 2021-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Dominopolis is a city-building/puzzle game, where you earn points for placing the same type of tiles next to each other.

Dominopolis was a submission to the 2021 GMTK Game Jam, where the theme was 'Joined Together'. Dominopolis fits this theme by having the tiles that you place be joined together in pairs (like dominoes, hence the name!)

Controls:

Arrow keys: Move cursor
X: Rotate cursor
Z: Place tiles

Credits:

Coding, Design, Art: Soundole (Peter Anthony Smith)
Design, Art: Bookwyrmle (Erin Harrison)
Music: Connor Grail

P#96448 2021-08-25 18:50 ( Edited 2021-08-25 18:50)