BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I saw someone post a suggestion for SPLORE to add a "play random cart" feature (especially for new game exploration on a handheld without keyboard/web browser, once you get past the list of Featured and New loaded in SPLORE). I liked that idea.

While having that in SPLORE would be cleanest and would stay up to date, I hacked together a quick prototype for myself that loads a random Featured Cart (from a scraped list of the 340 carts on the Featured board as of June 2021) to play around with.

Cart #randomcart-0 | 2021-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

If using it on a handheld it requires an internet connection, of course.

It also adds a Select/Enter menu option to each cart that lets you chain to a new random cart.

3 comments

Hi everyone

Found pico 8 roughly a week ago, and its been a pure pleasure to play with. Best 15 bucks spent in a long time.

I've decided to make a port of the old but fun game Oils Well from the C64.
Attached is my cart of my progress so far.

Cart #sopidesige-0 | 2021-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #tweettweetsky-0 | 2021-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My 6th annual #TweetTweetJam entry is: Tweet Tweet Sky 🚀
An attempt to demake Low Mem Sky in just 560 chars/bytes, using NO art assets!
(Low Mem Sky was, itself, a PICO-8 "demake" attempt of No Man's Sky within a single PICO-8 cart!)

Controls

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ = Fly / Walk
❎ = Land / Take off (when close to planet/station)

Features

🌌 An explorable Galaxy - 7,153 units across
🌖 173 Planets
-Each planet with terrain, lakes & dwellings
🛰 173 Space Stations
-(Tricky to dock - as always!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #dreameste-2 | 2022-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I fixed that invisible block.
If you found something like invisible blocks or bugs or sth,
Please report in the comment with a screenshot.
That will help me to fix the bug better.
Thanks!
2022/4/2.
Cart #dreameste-0 | 2021-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This might be the final version.
Happy birthday! My friend!
I wish you have a happy summer vacation!
See ya on JUN.27!

15 comments

Cart #literaid-1 | 2021-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

For TweetTweetJam 6, I drew again upon my backlog of childhood MS-DOS favorites, inspired by the Argo Software title Night Raid (itself a modernization of the 1981 Apple ][ classic Sabotage by Mark Allen).

Controls

Left/Right: Rotate the cannon
X: Hold to fire, release to reload

Features

• Gradually increasing difficulty
  • Session high scores
  • The ability to destroy a large number of meeples in a matter of seconds, thereby taking an aggressive stance on the popular board game Carcassonne

Thanks

Thanks to @shy for noticing the bug in the first version of this cart and to @ElGregos for proposing the last little change I needed to get back down under the limit as I fixed it.

2 comments

Does anyone know if there is a plan for the PICO-8 and Voxatron apps to be built as universal binaries for macOS? They both work now with Rosetta 2, but it would be better if than ran natively.

2 comments

Cart #temazebete-0 | 2021-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is competitive 2 player game (you can also play against the computer). Hit your ball into your opponent to score points. You can also magnetize your ball to get it to follow after them.

Enjoy!

2 comments

Hi

I was going to try to upload my work so far of a cart, but when selecting the exported .png I get the following error from the forum:
Not a valid cart. Please try again.

It has label.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there an issue with the site?

5 comments

Cart #yakitajada-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picoban - a sokoban for pico8, still in WIP !

0 comments

Hi

Could someone kindly tell me how to for loop through each char of a string? I'm unsure how this is done with pico 8.

6 comments

I hate fiddling with meaningless magic numbers trying to get a behaviour right. I prefer a bunch of knobs with predictable effects. So I made this little tool for fine tuning variable-height jumping behaviour for platformers.

Note: As written, it's possible for the cart to get stuck in an infinite loop for certain values so read below on how to, hopefully, avoid that issue.

Cart #jump_tuner_1-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Usage:

• Up/Down to select a value
  • Left/Right to modify the value
  • X to test the jump, tap for small jumps, hold for higher jumps

There are three tunable values and a fourth value which is calculated for you and can't be changed manually. Once you get something you're happy with, note down the values, and use or modify the jumping code from this cart in your own project. I think I've clearly indicated all the parts of the code that can be deleted and which parts should be modified. If you do use it, attribution is appreciated but not necessary.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #swatty-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You found a .txt file on your hard drive while clearing space. Its timestamp says it was put there last week, but everything else in its local neighbourhood of /Desktop/old stuff/apps/New Folder hasn't been touched in years. Its contents are as follows:

TO WHOEVER THIS REACHES
Your forebearers called them many different things. Utsi. Pla Mawr. Wan Gui Hong. In your time, these names have blissfully slipped from memory. Not for much longer.

In preparation for their return, we have provided to you a compact training program for the popular "PICO-EIGHT" computer, to hone your skills in combat. Use your "Arrow Keys" to move your weapon, and "Z" to strike. Eliminate all 128, and do not let any of them reach the other side of the viewport. Turn back the simulation with "Enter" until you may achieve this with consistency. Then, press "X" however many times you wish for a greater challenge.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #tgfiyop-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demo for the celeste classic mod I am making.
This mod requires spike clips and spike jumps which you can learn about here.https://celesteclassic.github.io/glossary/#spikeclip
Enjoy and please leave feedback if you can.

8 comments

Cart #yosodbebo-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A fishing game with millions of randomly generated fishies!

credits
Art, SFX & Writing by Showie Gau
Art, Code & Writing by Thomas van Eekelen
Music by Robby Duguay, check his work out here

0 comments

Cart #footy560-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A one-button soccer game whose code fits into two tweets.

Press X to shoot!

Fabian Fischer created the game for Tweet Tweet Jam 6.

0 comments

Hi all!
I'm pleased to announce that my Rock Band clone for Pico-8 is going fast.

I'm working on improving the algorithm that builds the notes for the song based on the SFXs.
Still a long way to go, BUT I'm ready to maybe start working on the songs when I get stuck coding.

What songs do you guys like? I'm speaking about well known Rock and Pop songs that you would like to play.
Please no obscure songs, or Prog rock with 1000 parts xD.

Basically, what's your favorite mainstream song?

Cheers, have a good day!

3 comments

Cart #tweetormergame-0 | 2021-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Another PICO-8 Tweetcart, this time a bit more complicated and optimized.

Source code:

x=60
y=123
mx=0
my=0
b=0
s=0
g=0
::_::
cls(1)
x+=mx
y+=my
mx*=.7
if (y<122)then my+=0.3end
if(y>123)then my=0y=123end
if(y>122)then g=1else g=0end
?"\f7웃\vm●",x,y
if(btn(⬅️))mx-=s
if(btn(➡️))mx+=s
if(btn(❎))s=.9b=3.5else s=.7b=3
if(btn(🅾️))and g>0then my-=b end
flip()goto _

3 comments

I made a web-based tool for extracting and converting MIDI file data to be played in PICO-8. It's nicely interactive and includes a PICO-8 console built into the page so that you can audition the results before you copy the SFX data. Give Denote a try and let me know what you think.

13 comments

Cart #seqmem_vs-5 | 2021-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple multiplayer memorization game. Whenever a player repeats the sequence correctly they get to add one more note. If a player fails at repeating the sequence correctly they lose one point. When a player has zero points left they are out. The last person left wins the game.

Can be played with both keyboard and mouse.

0 comments

Officially, the 0x5F00 to 0x5F3F area is referred to as "Draw State" RAM, and 0x5F40 to 0x5F7F is referred to as "Hardware State" RAM.

However, I think this is quite misleading, considering Draw State RAM offers some non-related functionality like controlling Devkit Mode, muting audio, and suppressing the pause menu. Furthermore, there are some graphics-related addresses in Hardware State RAM, notably for: the default print() attributes, the bitplane read/write masks, the undocumented high-color stuff, and the "Palette 2" shared between the recent fill pattern functionality and high-color modes.

I'd suggest both 64-byte areas be merged into a single 128-byte "Hardware Variables" area.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->