BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

hi all,

i'm new to pico8 and coding largely, and i'd appreciate some help. i'm working on a super simple file just to familiarize myself with different aspects of what i'd like to eventually make for real.

what i'm trying to do is cause a specific set of sprites to animate whenever the player presses btn(4).

so far, i've got it set up so that when the player presses z, the function draw_attack() is called (below).

the problem i'm running into is that the animation ceases after one frame. i have no idea why. here's my code that seems to be the problem:

function draw_attack()
	if player.flip then
		spr(atkanim.spr,player.x-6,player.y)
		for i=0,3 do
			if atkanim.spr<=52 then
				atkanim.spr+=0.5
				sfx(0)
			else
				atkanim.spr=48
			end
		end
	else
		spr(48,player.x+6,player.y)
		sfx(0)
	end
end

what i would expect to happen with this when the function is called: the sprites are drawn in sequence based on the for loop.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I'm using the code below, but it's quite a lot of tokens when converted to Lua. Does anyone have a more compact routine for use with Pico-8?

http://www.jeffreythompson.org/collision-detection/line-rect.php

14 comments

Cart #ananas-1 | 2020-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hello world 🐳

ananas is our first pico-8 cartridge 💙 it's a small game where you follow the ancient ways of mother nature from the roof of your urban apartment.

we (studio ld <3) made it for the jamuslala (a jam by make games jlm + muslala)

code & game design: idan kimel 🥑
art & music+sfx & code & game design: rona manor 🌾
opening theme melody: yaeli greenblatt 🐈

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #wadingan-0 | 2020-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

test water effect, use arrow to mess with speed\amp of effect and press z to change modes

0 comments

This is a simple Pico-8 slideshow cart project.

I was inspired by @zep ‘s Practice 2018 talk presentation done with Pico-8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jfTIWosBw

So I thought this would be a great project for me to practice and learn coding with Pico-8.

List items are almost working, just need to figure out how to make them appear in one at a time (fade in on btn(3))

How to use:

• left and right arrow keys to navigate the slides
  • x to fast forward
  • z to rewind

Cart #slides2020080710-1 | 2020-08-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to edit

Change the slides table with your own content

For title pages:

{text="pico-8 slidshow\n\nby 2358",
   bgcol=13,col=7,
   tx=12,ty=35},

For animated/slide in topics list:

{text="sections",
   bgcol=0,col=7,
   tx=20,ty=20,
   alist={text={
         "topic 1",
         "topic 2",
         "topic 3",
         "topic 4",
         "topic 5"},
         lx=128*2,ly=40,
         ldx=20,
         col={2,13,12,11,10}}},

For list items: (todo: fade in one at a time)

{text="list items 1",
   marker=2,
   bgcol=0,col=7,
   tx=20,ty=20,
   mlist={text={
         "",
         "this is a",
         " ★ pico-8 ★ ",
         " slideshow",
         " awsome!",
         " thank you!"},
         lx=20,ly=20}},

To show slide page numbers (change false to true)

show_slide_numbers=false
show_slide_numbers=true

Would love to see @zep ‘s original cart on this for comparison

4 comments

You find yourself in the woods completely alone and hungry. Who or what is trying to hunt you? Collect blueberries and hunt squirrels while you avoid being hunted.

Controls PC:

Arrows - Run

X - Search in bushes

Z - Knife Attack

*Gamepad recommended.

Cart #wander_kid-2 | 2020-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Hi friends,

My next project is likely going to need to rotate sprites, so I've been looking at the various methods posted on the bbs. Something I'm wondering about while I've been looking at everyone's examples is, how does one approach collision detection for when a sprite is rotated?

I'm currently capable of AABB and bitmasking per row of pixels, but it seems I'm going to have to write some new methods to integrate either of these into a rotation algorithm, and I'm not sure where to start. I'd appreciate any links to any carts or non-p8 articles or anything, really!

CPU is also a concern for me, as I think I'm going to need a lot of it dedicated to drawing the backgrounds I need which would be rendered via something like spellcaster's rle library.

Thanks in advance! :)

8 comments

Cart #terajuhiwa-0 | 2020-08-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple but addictive card game. Enjoy!

5 comments

When I run my program it outputs "out of memory"
what does that mean? because I have like 4000 tokens left?

2 comments

Recently, I completed make a game which made by pico-8. And released!
But since then, there has been no reaction from overseas people.
I've been trying my best to translate English, but I'm sad that perhaps English player no one plays.
Is there anything wrong?
I would be happy if you could get any comments.

"Dungeon Witches" is a tiny 8bit Rogue-lite RPG of the cute girls with magic of the "Home".
https://1oogames.itch.io/dungeon-witches

Trial Beta (Free, html5)
http://doc1oo.lsv.jp/app/homes_witches_shibuya2020/

*Note that my cartridge capacity is too large to add to the cartverse...

Thanks!

9 comments

Cart #bigchungus-0 | 2020-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Now, the best game of all time is also on Pico-8!
Jokes aside, this is just a simple cover of the Big Chungus Main Theme, by Endigo.
Feel free to use it if you make a real Big Chungus game!

1 comment

I'm having a problem scrolling a repeating tile. Here's how I setup my tiles:

for i=1,500 do
 add(bgtiles,{
  alive=false,
  x=0,
  y=0,
  vel=0.52
 })
end

local y=-8
for i=1,17 do
 bg_spawn(0,y)
 y+=8
end

function bg_spawn(x,y)
 for _,t in pairs(bgtiles) do
  if not t.alive then
   t.alive=true
   t.x=x
   t.y=y
   return
  end
 end
end

And here's how I update:

for _,t in pairs(bgtiles) do
 if t.alive then
  t.y+=t.vel
  if(t.y>128) t.y=-8
 end
end

But during the scroll I get this:

Here's the tile:

It doesn't matter if vel is an int or a float, I still get the misalignment. I'm guessing this is a common noob mistake! Can anyone help?

4 comments

I saw this mentioned on Discord, so I tested it, and found it to be true. I can't think of a reason for it to be this way, so I figured it should be written up as a bug.

This code:

local c=x+y

is faster than this code:

local c=0

Here's a dead-simple test cart. Hold a button down to switch from running the first assignment per pixel to running the second. I get stat(1) = 0.7709 for c=x+y and 0.8296 for c=0, when at best they ought to be at least identical.

Cart #rutesujaju-0 | 2020-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

5 comments

Cart #pic0_el8_trader-1 | 2020-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a pico-8 implementation of the trading system from Elite. This allows you to travel the galaxy and buy/sell goods.

Navigation between screens is done using the pause menu. If you can jump to a new planet a prompt will be displayed. Currently this is restricted to a single galaxy.

Intro screen - the option to load a previous game only shows if you have a previous save. Games are saved automatically when docking in a new station.

Commander status - shows all information about the current game, including cash, fuel, inventory and equipment.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Trying to use shifts instead of multiplication, I noticed an odd thing:

work_ram = 0x4300

printh(work_ram +  2*32) -- result: 17216
printh(work_ram +  2<<5) -- result: 24640  + has higher precedence than shift, is this correct? 
printh(work_ram + (2<<5))-- result: 17216
printh(work_ram |  2*32) -- result: 17216
printh(work_ram |  2<<5) -- result: 17216
printh(work_ram | (2<<5))-- result: 17216

pico-8 version: pico-8_0.2.1b_windows

Am I missing something and this is an intended behavior or there's an operator precedence inconsistency?

4 comments

Humble beginnings!

This isn't much more than my own naive implementation for sprite-animation. The little cat can walk (looping animation), look up, lie down (transitional animation), and meow(non-interuptable animation). The current sprite is displayed in a box at the bottom left, together with some variables.

Cart #machi00-1 | 2020-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It may be bad and basic but I'm still a BIT proud of it.
I'll prolly expand this into an actual game at some point, would be a shame to let the cat sprites go to waste, nyohohee~
[0x0]

7 comments

Cart #adventur-0 | 2020-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i made

1 comment

Something I stumbled across when looking for a way to compress an End-of-Game image for Impulse. Low on tokens (but heavily recursive, don't know if that's an issue for Pico8). May suit you more than anything RLE based if you're working with dithering-heavy images.

Cart #yudabegaba-0 | 2020-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press X to cycle pictures. The reported size is a bit misleading as it doesn't include the fixed-length "left" and "right" strings.

Images are:

• A messily converted picture of Bananaman
  • An image from Bladerunner (by far the worst compressed, and anything more fancy than simple ordered dithering made it worse)
  • The Utah teapot
  • Wizball (was interested to see what it made of the C64's 2x1 pixels)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

the full bee movie script.
these two carts link, but not on the BBS.

is this still funny?
i swear it is.

Cart #perfection1-0 | 2020-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #perfection2-0 | 2020-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

enjoy this stupid, stupid thing.

6 comments

Hello lovely PICO-8 people!

I'm getting started with PICO-8 and am having trouble running my game outside of the PICO-8 editor. Can anyone help?

If I open the game in splore, it causes PICO-8 to freeze. If I export the html and js files and run the HTML in Safari or Chrome, it gets stuck on "booting cartridge". Yet the .p8 file runs in the PICO-8 editor with no problem. I'm using the standard _init() / _update() / _draw() game loop.

I'm using:

• PICO-8 v0.2.1
  • Atom to script
  • MacOS Mojave
  • Safari and Chrome

Game code: https://github.com/andrewhick/pandora/blob/main/pandora.p8
Game is hosted here: https://www.andrewhick.com/games/

I'd appreciate any help, one of my main reasons for choosing PICO-8 was its ability to share games easily on the web so I'm sad to be stuck at this stage!

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->