BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #tedoporuye-0 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I was thinking that a really neat feature would be that the primitive shape drawing functions accept tables as arguments. I'm not sure whether that conflicts with Zep's ideals of what the PICO8 environment should be like but I'll list a few pros. First of all, an example of what I mean.

rec={60,60,68,68,14}

--basic way to pass
rect(rec[1],rec[2],rec[3],rec[4],rec[5])

--proposed syntax
rect(rec)

--traditional Lua; achievable in PICO8 at the cost of the tokens
--required to define unpack
--see: https://gist.github.com/josefnpat/bfe4aaa5bbb44f572cd0#unpack
rect(unpack(rec))

As you can see, this requires far less tokens/characters which is great for tweetcarts and code golf - things that PICO8 really shines at. It would also be useful in larger projects where the bottleneck is usually compressed size/char counts rather than token counts (defining objects is still kinda costly).

It would also be useful for functions like

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=75873#p)
2 comments

As the subject says, it'd be nice if ~1 simply became 0xfffe at parse time and thus cost only one token, the same as the recent change where -1 simply becomes 0xffff.

Purty please? :)

3 comments

This template enables mouse pointer locking thanks to the JavaScript Pointer Lock API & Pico-8's GPIO system. The mouse pointer will get locked inside the pico-8 frame, while still providing movement deltas from your mouse. Now you can do a proper Marble Madness or Quake remake!

here's a demo cart (also included in the zip below):

Cart #fotubigibu-0 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Of course it doesn't work as advertised here on the bbs, nor within the pico-8 binary. You'll get stuck when the pointer quits the frame.

1. unzip ubmlock.zip in your template dir:
    Windows: C:/Users/{Yourname}/AppData/Roaming/pico-8/plates
    OSX: /Users/{Yourname}/Library/Application Support/pico-8/plates

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

I'm going to post my entries for TweetTweetJam 4 in this thread.

Let's start with something easy:

1. Avoid the worms

Cart #avoid_the_worms-0 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game in 560 characters of codeā€‹ for TweetTweetJam 4
Avoid the hungry worms and collect as many hearts as you can. Your score is the number of hearts you get.

_set_fps(60)h=0
::s::s,l,p,t=0,0,{{1,1.9}},0
x,y,c,d=64,32,32,32
::_::cls()t+=.003
if(l<flr(t))p[l+2]={.2+rnd(1.2),.2+rnd(1.5)}l+=1
for j=1,#p do
color(2+j%10)q=p[j]
for i=0,.1,.01 do
k=t+i
a,b=q[1]*k,q

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=75857#p)
9 comments

Cart #drawing-3 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yay! This is my second game. I'm a new programmer, so I'm looking for feedback. Thanks!
EDIT: P.S. If the lines variable down below is bigger than 4800, then it will get slow. If it does that, reset the cart
EDIT: Ok the mouse is freakin awesome

3 comments

they're clamped to color 15 it seems.
not a big deal, but maybe it's an easy fix?

2 comments

Cart #nest2-10 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NEST 2 is a simple, but intense arcade game for our fantasy console. Rotate and dash all around the grid, nullifying enemies quickly to increase your CHAIN while avoiding spikes on a mission as old as time itself: beating your high score!

Update (v1.1):

As a result of the recent API changes, I was able to shave off a few tokens and add some Quality of Life changes (bless split()). For example:

• Added a line to the first timer guide
  • Made the chain timer more visible/obvious

[ Continue Reading.. ]

65 comments

Cart #imis_dungeon_100-0 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, Everyone!
This is my second game... in PICO-8.
It's been several years since my first game in PICO-8.

The game is about two adventurers went into a dungeon seeking for a treasure.
Help those two adventurers solve the dungeon floor and go to the next floor together.
Both adventurers also move to the same direction and if even one adventure is down, the level restarts so move carefully.
Game also unlocks gallery whenever player finishes certain levels.

Feedbacks are welcome and appreciated!

--

==Changelog==

v1 (May 5th, 2020)
*First Release

18 comments

Cart #bubblebobble-1 | 2020-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

90 levels of 1 or 2 player 80s-style arcade fun.

Windows executable: https://pahammond.itch.io/bubble-bobble

Controls

To prevent [Up] from jumping when using controllers, press either [A] on the controller or the PICO-8 [O] button (Z on the keyboard) to start.

Player 1

[←] and [→] to move
[↑] jump
[X] fire

Player 2

[S] and [F] to move
[E] jump
[A] fire

Thanks To

• Finn and Lucas for testing
  • Many low-res graphics thanks to dwedit.org & @justin_cyr
  • PICO-8 for creating an awesome "fantasy console"
  • https://lostcave.wordpress.com/ for providing inspiration and a few level layouts

Minified using the GEM Minifier:
https://pahammond.itch.io/gem-minify

Unminified code can be downloaded from:
https://pahammond.itch.io/bubble-bobble

24 comments

I just bought PICO-8 and I'm excited to get to learning how it works, but after experimenting for a little bit in the editor, there were a few things that were really bothering me -- I'm asking here to see if I'm just doing something wrong, or if there are devkit mods/hacks to fix these things.

1. Is it possible to enable stereo audio somehow? I'm guessing no, but is there a hack/mod that adds this in? I like the limitations of the music editor as it is for the most part, but for some reason the lack of panning bothers me. I really want to get some nice ping-pongy waterfall stereo arpeggios!

2. Is there some way I can somehow force Lua to act like arrays are 0-indexed instead of 1-indexed? Some kind of macro or precompiler?

3. Is there a way to delete notes in the tracker "in-place" -- without everything after that moving backwards? It really messes with the rhythms, and as far as I can tell there's no way to insert a blank space back in to push things back where they belong. So every time I want to delete a note, I have to either move to the volume section, enter a zero, and move back, or press backspace and then copy-paste everything back where it should be

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #retrowave_demo-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #picobus-1 | 2020-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Now you can have the entire thrilling experience of Desert Bus on your Pico-8! 216 lines of code! 9 sprites! 8 hours of driving!

Move left and right to stay on the road as you fight against your bus' troublesome drift! With exciting features such as: a honkable horn! A stunning view of cacti and rocks! The comforting rumble of your engine!

Can you survive the journey!?!

Updated Version:

• Added an Easter Egg
  • Added the fly on the windshield (4 Hours In)
  • Added a Restart option on Game Over
3 comments

this happened to me a couple of times in the last few days, and just now: I left pico-8 running (not a cart, console prompt) and found it completely irresponsive after something like two hours...

windows 10, pc didn't go to sleep (I usually manually Win+L, but not those times)
edit: 0.2.0d - missed an update ;)

7 comments

Turn your 2D game into a 3D game!

That's 50% extra D!
100% guaranteed to work, sometimes, if you're lucky.
Simply paste this into the top of your 2D game, and be the envy of all your 2D coding friends!!!1!1

(OK, I'll stop now.)

This works best for top down games like "Pic-oh mummy!" by @Hokutoy, "Pakutto boy" by @Konimiru (both pictured)
Admittedly it's more of a gimmick/experiment - the result isn't very playable due to not being able to see the whole play area.

I mainly just wanted to see if it would work :)

_={
 map=map,
 spr=spr,
 sspr=sspr,
 pset=pset,
 circ=circ,
 camera=camera,
 cx=0,
 cy=0,
 cyoff=32,
 ch=32,
 d=128,
 ymid=0,
 s2w=function(x,y)
  return (x-_.cx)-64,_.ch,128-(y-_.cy)
 end,
 proj=function(x,y,z)
  local scale=_.d/z
  return x*scale+64,y*scale+_.ymid,scale

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=75793#p)
40 comments

Cart #mem-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

About

Mini Ex Machina (Mem) is based on the PC game Ex Machina aka Hard Truck Apocalypse, released in 2005, set in a strange world where people wear masks and drive trucks. This world is dangerous, but full of unexplored lands and adventures. This time the hero finds himself in a remote valley formed near the Ural mountains after the cataclysm. The lay of the land in this anomalous area changes every time one enters it, but the goal stays the same - to find the way home.

How to play

Your truck can crush enemies, and shoot at them (after you find and eqip a weapon). You can carry a little cargo in the trunk and install various upgrades on your truck. When in town, sell and buy goods, take tasks from mayors and advance the story.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #firedino-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Be a fire-breathing dinosaur and save your valley from the evil skull lord.
[128x128]

itch.io page

Controls:

• Arrow keys: Move
  • Z: Jump
  • X: Fire

Submission for the Bitter Jam

2 comments

Cart #scombo-4 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Backstory

Wayde finds himself in a bit of a pickle when ghosts start haunting his camp ground! Only using his speed, wits, and a few turtle shells Wayde can stop the ghosts from ruining his nap!

Concept

Scombo is a high score based action game about stringing combos together with shells, the more ghosts you kill with one shell, the better your score!

Rules

The basic rule/objective of the game is to try and hit as many ghosts with one shell as possible. The more ghosts you hit, the higher your score goes!

Controls

The up and down arrow keys move Wayde in the corresponding direction, Z fires the shell!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

More of a question or feature request than a bug...

Is it possible to create a standalone executable and HTML export without the boot screen?

If this isn't currently supported it would be worth considering even if positioned as a "Pro" level feature. I'd pay extra for that feature.

Thanks

2 comments

The slide effect works great on a loop that starts at a note greater than 0, sliding smoothly from the final note of the loop back to the first, but if the loop starts at note 0, it steps instead of sliding.

This doesn't feel like expected/reasonable behavior to me.

Here's a repro/demo that lets you swap loop points, swap volume vs. pitch sliding, and swap sine wave vs. noise.

Cart #siyifutoga-0 | 2020-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->