Follow
Lafolie
[ :: Read More :: ]

Really quick and easy issue to fix:
The HTML anchor for the tables API is the same as the anchor for tables in the Lua quickstart. Clicking the tables API link in the contents takes you to the quickstart section, and not the API one.

P#95626 2021-08-03 19:46 ( Edited 2021-08-03 19:46)

Cart #fesiwimufa-0 | 2021-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tweet Tweet Jam 6

TTJ 6 is here!

Same deal as usual, except this time it lasts twice as long!

Quick rundown for the uninitiated:

• Make a game in 560 chars or less (2 tweets)
  • No premade cart assets allowed (spritesheet / map / gfx) - everything in code!
  • You don't need a twitter to enter
  • Multiple submissions allowed & encouraged

Have fun!

P#93713 2021-06-18 23:33

Cart #kukafamapa-0 | 2020-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TweetTweetJam 5 is here!

Hey everyone, just wanted to announce that TweetTweetJam 5 is starting very soon.

The jam runs from Nov. 4th ~ 11th.

If you haven't entered before, the rules are simple: make a cart in 560 characters of code or less! No assets are allowed (map/sprite data), get creative with glyph prints instead!

Signup on the itch.io jam page here.

The twitter tag is #tweetTweetJam, and there's a bunch of carts on here (the bbs), itch, and twitter for inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing all the awesome entries this time around, happy jamming!

P#83681 2020-11-03 23:16 ( Edited 2020-11-03 23:17)

Cart #husotekaso-0 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My second entry for TweetTweetJam 4. Chars used: 560.

Rules

Guide your guy to exit ▤stairs while avoiding the 🐱enemies and collecting ♥hearts & ◆picogems.

You can wrap around the edges of the screen - use this to your advantage for stylish dodges and pickups! Though beware: enemies can do this too. Watch your back :)

On each floor, an additional enemy/item will spawn.

Controls

• [⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️] Move

My high score on the final version is about 70◆.

This game was originally intended to be like Zelda, but ended up being more like Robotron without a gun. Enjoy.

Links

itch.io page
tweet

P#76077 2020-05-07 17:32 ( Edited 2020-05-07 18:38)

Hey there, this is my first entry for TweetTweet Jame 4!

Cart #golf560-0 | 2020-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Rules

This is a simple golf game, with procedural courses spanning a bunch of islands, I guess. Get to the hole in as few strokes as possible!

Watch out for water! Should you land on the green or in a bunker your shot power will be reduced.

Controls

• [⬅️➡️] Aim
  • [🅾️❎] Swing (hold to charge power!)

Links

Itch.io Page
Twitter Post

Happy golfing :)

P.S. post screens of your favourite courses! Sometimes it generates pretty things.

P#75916 2020-05-06 01:49 ( Edited 2020-05-06 01:57)

I was thinking that a really neat feature would be that the primitive shape drawing functions accept tables as arguments. I'm not sure whether that conflicts with Zep's ideals of what the PICO8 environment should be like but I'll list a few pros. First of all, an example of what I mean.

rec={60,60,68,68,14}

--basic way to pass
rect(rec[1],rec[2],rec[3],rec[4],rec[5])

--proposed syntax
rect(rec)

--traditional Lua; achievable in PICO8 at the cost of the tokens
--required to define unpack
--see: https://gist.github.com/josefnpat/bfe4aaa5bbb44f572cd0#unpack
rect(unpack(rec))

As you can see, this requires far less tokens/characters which is great for tweetcarts and code golf - things that PICO8 really shines at. It would also be useful in larger projects where the bottleneck is usually compressed size/char counts rather than token counts (defining objects is still kinda costly).

It would also be useful for functions like

foreach(tbl_of_recs,rect)

or some more complex scenario that needs to save memory by using shared references to the 'rec' table (a bit far-fetched but not unimaginable haha).

I imagine that push-back for this request might come in the form of "it's too convenient". To that I would say, not really. When you consider that the task is really to send some values to the graphics "hardware", this isn't really too much to ask. In old consoles you would arrange this as a blob of contiguous bytes in memory and feed them to a register, perhaps even with an auto-incrementing pointer. Passing the table as a whole isn't really much different from that. Besides, this format still has a downside in that it uses the array part of a table and x2/y2 can't be lazily calculated using a width/height var:

rec={60,60,68,68,14}

--move the rec
if(btn(0))rec[1]-=1 rec[3]-=1
if(btn(1))rec[1]+=1 rec[3]+=1

--as opposed to
rec={x=60,y=60,x2=68,y2=68,c=14}
if(btn(0))rec.x-=1 rec.x2-=1

That's not as pretty or elegant as a hashmap with X/Y elements that larger projects tend towards. So it really is geared more towards the tweetcart domain. It could be a possibility that the functions also read named fields such as x,y,w,h,c and such, but I think that is a little too much to ask for.

In any case I think this would be a great addition to get some more mileage out of tweetcarts and other restrictive challenges. I would welcome it for all drawing functions, but I understand how that might be a little too much? I dunno. For rect/circ & friends I think it would be great.

Thanks.

P#75873 2020-05-05 19:41 ( Edited 2020-05-05 19:56)

Cart #sudjusiwe-0 | 2019-05-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #kanamukado-0 | 2019-05-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, this is my second entry for TweetTweetJam 2.

This cart features endlessly running Sonic, rolling around (...you know the rest), collectible rings, missiles, ring loss/death system, particle trails, high scoring (volatile), Big Doc himself, and realistic mustache simulation.

Controls

• [🅾️❎(ZX)] Jump (edge triggered)
  • [⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️] Roll

Rules

As Sonic, collect rings and avoid missiles while perpetually chasing Dr. Eggman (turns out, his Egg Mobile is fast too). Just like in the real games, getting hit will mean losing your rings (though they can not be recovered here).

How many rings can you get?

This cart uses all 560 characters as per the jam rules.

Links

Post on twitter:
https://twitter.com/DaleJ_Dev/status/1130322303731077122

Post on itch.io:
https://lafolie.itch.io/sonic-560

Jam entry:
https://itch.io/jam/tweettweetjam-2/rate/425774

Changelog

• Reclaimed 4 chars
  • All buttons are now used for input

• Initial upload.
P#64607 2019-05-20 03:56 ( Edited 2019-05-20 05:48)

Cart #starshot560-0 | 2019-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this is my entry for TweetTweetJam 2.

This cart features side-scrolling shooting, (super basic) enemies, hi scoring (volatile), and a parallax background.

Controls

• [⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️] Move Ship
  • [🅾️ (Z)] Shoot

Rules

Being a tweet jam cart, the game is pretty simple. You're the green ship on the left, bad guys are the red, err, ships, on the right. Build up the highest score you can. Your hitbox is 1 pixel, so no excuses! :P It's possible to cheese since there's no AI, but it's slow and definitely not fun.

As per the rules of the jam no sprites were used in-game, and the code fits into 560 characters (pretty precisely). Hope you like it, feedback welcomed.

Links

Post on twitter:
https://twitter.com/DaleJ_Dev/status/1128433534836903936

Post on itch.io:
https://lafolie.itch.io/starshot-560

Come join in:
https://itch.io/jam/tweettweetjam-2

P#64430 2019-05-14 22:22 ( Edited 2019-05-14 23:24)

Cart #56102 | 2018-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Untitled Platformer

v0.1 by Dale James

The game is dreadfully incomplete, but I was encouraged to post it by wessen3000.

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Controls

Left/Right: Walk
Down: Crouch (purely visual for now)
O: Jump

For now there is no real goal, just a tech demo.

Features

Working

• Tilemap collision
  • Pseudo-physics (AABB)
  • Kick-ass animation system
    • Parses strings of hex literals and animation command codes
    • 7 different animation commands
  • Intricate jump mechanics
    • edge-triggered jumping
    • jump squat (see this page on SmashWiki)
    • enforceable minimum short-hop frames
    • multiple jumps
    • forgiveness window (# aerial frames before jump is consumed)
  • Tilemap import/export via @CLIP
  • Support for 16 4-colour DMG-style palettes
  • Handy debug mode
  • Pesky blops

Planned

• Map scrolling
  • Attacking
  • Collision response
  • UI
  • Multiple maps
  • Enemies
  • Powerups

About

Hello, this is my first submission to the site. For the past few days, I've been working on this platformer framework. The aim of this project is to experiment with different techniques, and create something fun. I have decided to limit the graphics to a Gameboy (DMG)-esque palette.

The blops in the middle each demonstrate a different animation command.

If everything goes to plan, I would like to expand on the framework with more features (including slopes) for a future cart. In the meantime, feel free to pull apart the code , just remember that it's under the CC license. :3

P#56103 2018-09-03 05:16 ( Edited 2018-09-14 15:46)