BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #rururokinu-0 | 2019-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

chistmas snow project made in 2 hours

2 comments

Cart #christmasfun-3 | 2019-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Okay this is the last small change for a while. Changed it to 60 updates per second and changed some of the values a tiny bit.

Cart #christmasfun-2 | 2019-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Forgot to update the screenshot and fixed and error with the snow not collecting on the sides.

Cart #christmasfun-1 | 2019-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I changed the way snow gets collected when it hits the ground to make it look and feel much better. Also, using the arrows to change windspeed and gravity now work properly!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

In Pico-8 there is 128x64 map of memory for making sprites and map. Right? Then why am I seeing the lower 128x32 filling up with pieces of sprites? Is the lower half reserved for something else, like game time render or something? I want to use that space but it looks like its already in use.

I remember hearing something about the lower 32 being reserved, is this the case and what for?
Anyone who cares to shed some light on this?

3 comments

The PICO-8 built-in editor supports up to 8 tabs. These are represented in the .p8 file as a single Lua code block delimited with -->8 comments. If I am editing the .p8 file with an external editor but still want to establish tabs for the internal editor, I add -->8 comments manually. If I add more tabs than the internal editor can handle (8 or more delimiters), code beyond the 8th tab is ignored.

It's a pretty edgy edge case to want both external editing and tabs for the internal editor, but I found this behavior surprising enough that I humbly request a tad more thought to it. I would agree that evaluating code that isn't displayed in the internal editor is not the right fix, nor is adding UI to support unlimited tabs. My preference would be to fail to load the file as if it didn't parse, with an explicit error message, or just consider everything beyond the 8th tab as part of the 8th tab.

1 comment

Cart #office_escape-0 | 2019-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made for 2-Button Jam 2019

Source is on github.

It's released MIT licensed.

Music was done by Cody Loyd.

Update 1.1: Now shows score for all gameovers

5 comments

Cart #wordfind-0 | 2019-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's Wordfind, a word search puzzle.

It contains 1600 words and has 20 categories.

Words can be found in all different directions: N,E,S,W,NE,SE,SW,NW

2 comments

hello all, so i picked up my old PC with pico 8 on it and i started my old wolf 3d top down test again. i would like to know how i can make a collision script where trying to walk into a certain sprite will block you from moving in the direction of that sprite, so a type of "if you walked into a wall going right you are blocked from moving right" kind of collision. can anyone help me with this? i have linked a game file of the test, it would be nice if you could send the game file with a rough collision draft so i can get an idea of what to do. thanks!

0 comments

Cart #toboggoban-12 | 2019-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's time for Toboggoban! A Sokoban-variant featuring wintery vibes and sliding toboggans.

This game was made for the 2019 Advent Calendar - check it out for a bunch of other wintery content from other developers, gradually unlocking throughout December 2019!

Arrows: Move
Z: Undo
X: Reset level

Awkward special note: This game uses a music track supplied by Gruber, but it plays a version of his song which I modified to be less melodic (for a less-distracting puzzle-solving backdrop). My edited version isn't as good as the original song, so if you don't like the gameplay music, don't go blaming it on Gruber (check his profile - his work is A++). His original track plays during the final cutscene, so if you beat the game, you get to hear it properly!

6 comments

Cart #noeleste-2 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Noelle (previously titled Noeleste) is a short holiday-themed mod for Celeste Classic that adds new mechanics, levels, locations, and a bunch of penguins!

Lots of credit to Maddy and Noel from EXOK Games for the original project, and to the Celeste Classic Discord (https://discord.gg/WgtDkq9) for all the help and feedback.

v2.0 release notes: It's about time I show some love to this mod. This is a very old project, so to get in the festive mood I've polished up the mod to better fit my current level design and visual standards. Several levels have been completely redone, and overall I'm much happier with the mod now. Also a rename, because there's too many "-leste" mods already.

40 comments

Alright, in the last article we covered how to fade a picture to black, now let's focus on the reverse, fading a screen's palette from black to a picture, and not just any picture, but one that is already animating and carrying on in the background.

First off understand once again we are NOT going be creating a 240-size table, no, just the nice and small 32 we have.

But now let's think about it. If the whole screen is black, how do you fade to the correct colors ? I mean if you look at the original fade routine it changes a lighter color to a darker and that new darker color is processed in the next pass. So how do you go from darkest to original colors ?

I'll let you think about that for a minute.

Got an answer ? Well, yes and no. Unfortunately the way you described is very complex and tedious. There's a much easier way.

by dw817
Cart #ioac-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #wurorogoga-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

If you run the above cart, the moment you hit (O) you will see a pattern quickly appear before changing the palette. This apparently occurs when you make use of the extended color set.

A simple solution for now would be to make use of the extended set before your program actually starts up. Then while it still does it, you can curb it at the beginning.

This does not appear at all in the Pico-8 system though.

I am understanding now this is deliberate and intentional. Perhaps a type of way to punish programmers who want to make use of the extended palette. It currently only appears on the BBS but I suspect with the new Pico-8 release for purchasers, the "glitch" effect will be added there as well.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

by dw817
Cart #f2ba-5 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, type:

load #f2ba

Forced "disruption" early.

"Fade To Black." it's not just a video game it's a video game concept and one that's worth learning as it definitely looks good for any game cart where you want to not just jump screens but have one fade to black.

Now at first you might be thinking well HECK in order to do this properly I would need to create 16-different fadeout colors for each of the 15-colors yielding ... 240 colors I have to enter into a table !

Well, yes, you could do it that way, but an easier way is just to fade one color only one step.

And you're probably asking, how can you fade a whole picture just by fading one step ?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #yorutuzafe-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #flappy_zombie-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made this game for fun to learn Lua Programming Language.

My first game in Pico-8. My first game in Lua. One day challenge fun!

Made this in about 4 and half hours of my time. Although I am a seasonal programmer and also a Game Development Instructor in which my job requires me to make new Video Games on a daily basis. On average I have to make 3 mini-games a week. During summer up to 5 a week. It took me 10+ years to get to this point so please do not feel discouraged I used to suck at programming at one time.

I am used to huge languages like C++ and also C#/Java.
Analysis of Lua is that its a descent small language that can be learned entirely by a seasonal professional like me between 30-60 minutes. Its pretty amazing how awesome this language is how awesome Pico-8 is. I am impressed. C# takes about 5 years to master. C++ almost 9 years. This was not an easy task compared to Lua. It took me longer to learn Scratch (drag and drop programming is not quite there yet).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #onionboyufo-0 | 2019-12-12 | Embed ▽ | No License

In this game you play as Onion Boy, a little man with an onion head. He flies a plane over the city when alien saucers appear and start attacking. Can you defeat the alien ships with your bombs?

You can also just destroy the city if you'd prefer to do that. Hopefully the mayor doesn't mind the collateral damage since you're defending the earth from aliens.

EDIT: For reasons I'm not sure of, firing bombs doesn't seem to work in the browser version on Firefox or Chrome. It does seem to work in the version on the browser in Voxatron itself though. If I can figure out and fix whatever the problem is, I'll be sure to put out a new cart version.

0 comments

Cart #snowy_window_cat-3 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Snowy Window is a Christmas Theme Snow Simulator.
The snowflakes and the fire of the candle is generated
Music by @Gruber , thanks @dw817 !

Controls

• press C to disable snow stacking
  • press Y(Z) to enable snow stacking
  • Up / Down Arrow keys to change the speed separately
  • press Left / Right Arrow keys once to change the wind, hold it to speed up and blow the candle

Some debug tools are included:

See it here:

Cart #snowy_window_cat_debug-0 | 2019-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Who knew repairing a basement could be this fun?

Welcome to Plumber Problems! This is the pre-release version of my new game, which is actually an undergraduate research project.

Please play it and provide feedback for the official version! Thanks so much.

Matt

6 comments

Cart #deersanta-1 | 2019-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's my second entry for the Pico-8 advent calendar 2019:

DEER SANTA...

• Don't crash into mountains!
  • Don't get electrocuted!
  • Can you make it all the way to Santa?

Controls

Just hit X to jump. That's all there is to it!

Don't hit the mountains or the storm clouds and you'll be okay!

Credits

Design/Art/Code: Johan Peitz (@johanpeitz)
Music/Sound: Chris Donnelly (@gruber_music)

2 comments

Cart #girudomuhe-0 | 2019-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #mumajajoju-0 | 2019-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->