BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Progress on my midterm project.

Cart #wiparipiwi-0 | 2019-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #apeapproacher-3 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Finished up this platformer I started last year.

update 2021-04-02: a pico-8 update made the leaderboard screen stop working so i fixed it and improved the main menu a bit.

10 comments

Hey all, it's been a while (having kids) but we are back on with our mission to get 17 games (16 plus an overarching meta-game to tie them all together) in one collab cart.

We are currently at 6 or 7 games and I'm going to give this one final push to see if we can finish it!

Join us for full rules and discussion here:

https://discord.gg/9Kc7eRT

0 comments

The Flying Sharks game's music, with original art by @Gimbernau.

Here's the full game:

Cart #shawkksies-0 | 2019-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #shawkksies3-1 | 2019-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Save the planet from the flying sharks!
Choose your plane and fight for life with four different types of sharks in this endless shooter. Good luck!

Inspired by Arrigo Barnabé's "Flying Sharks" ("Tubarões Voadores", in the original portuguese).

This is my third game and probably the most fun to make. I programmed most of it a year ago and left it behind, and now I've been doing some tweaks here and there for the past two weeks. I've learned so so much while programming this, and I hope I make good use of that for making some more games.

If you find any bugs, let me know in the comments!

Thanks for playing!

Here's the music, solo, with some new art!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

Note: To see updates to this post, check out my blog here.

So I was working on making an improved version of "The Story of Zeldo" and realized a few weeks ago that outlining my sprites was taking up more CPU cycles than I wanted it to. I was using the outlining function where the palette is cleared to a color, then 8 sprites are drawn around the actual sprite to produce an outline effect as shown here. I decided to change all the sprites that needed outlines to 10x10 instead of 8x8.

[0x0]

You can see the 10x10 sprites at the bottom right of the graphic. Getting rid of the outlining function like this improved my CPU, but wasted sprite space. I later needed more sprite space, but didn't want to take a CPU hit. Then I thought, what if I use rectangles to draw the outline of sprites instead of drawing actual sprites for the outline?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hello!
I am a new clockwork GameShell purchaser and I am very new to virtual systems and hardware. While waiting for my device to ship, I have been researching things that I can play or do on it. PICO8 Has caught my eye, and along with it; Voxatron. I know PICO8 runs well from the forum over at ClockWorkPI, but I was curious if a 3d based virtual system would work just as well; keeping in mind that the GPU on the GameShell is not fully supported at the moment.

Does the GameShell and Voxatron play nicely together?

Will the control schemes, hardware, or software be compatible or enjoyable to play on the GameShell?

Will the full GPU support be necessary to run Voxatron?

Thankful for any info on the matter!

1 comment

Cart #zinmtamu-0 | 2019-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Saw this screensaver again after a while and wanted to give recreating it a shot. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's helped me out learning some of the quirks with Lua.

Sauce: https://gist.github.com/Fortyseven/a4e2d5d3105ed86e0916d162a1a4d466

1 comment

Cart #fasudabewi-0 | 2019-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yo, here is a version of the next game I'm working on! It's a dungeon exploration game, kinda like a roguelike, but without any procedural generation lol (at least for now). I am still learning so I didn't want to cram too much stuff into it.

Let me know what you think!

Controls: Use the arrows to move. Move in the direction of an enemy to attack.

2 comments

Cart #paperdalseifluffyfashion-2 | 2022-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a deltarune paper doll fangame made by me and my brother, CrossroadsWanderer ( @XroadsWanderer)! we started out making a paper doll game unrelated to deltarune, but when we played deltarune together, we became enamored with ralsei, and decided to make it a ralsei dressup game instead. we made this for ourselves, but i hope others will find it enjoyable!

controls

z/okay: wear
x/cancel: take off
left and right: scroll through items
some options are found on the enter/pause menu

credits

• the designs of ralsei and his default outfit are from deltarune
  • the designs of the hidden items are from deltarune and

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #podimikesi-0 | 2019-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #hokandowa-0 | 2019-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

@zep

I'm trying to write a tool that has text editing, and I find that the devkit keyboard doesn't return a lot of the special keys that it easily could.

You're returning a string, so there's no reason why it has to be just one character. So pressing the Home key could simply return the string "home". No need for special characters, escape sequences, etc., since these verbose names would all be distinct from any single regular typed character.

I'm mainly thinking of the standard navigation cluster: up, down, left, right, ins, del, home, end, pgup, pgdn.

It'd also be nice if there were a second stat() value that had a bitmask of the modifier keys that are currently pressed, if the host has them. Like, left/right shift, left/right alt/cmd, maybe left/right win/opt, altgr, maybe capslock. Not crucial, but definitely helpful. It'd be nice to be able to support things like ^Z for undo in my tool.

I say all this because one of the things I love about PICO-8 is working entirely within PICO-8, so it's nice to write tools that work inside of the platform, but the devkit functionality is a little limited in this department.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #dasohitoda-2 | 2019-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You're just chillin' in your lawn chair, sipping a cold lemonade outside your sweet new trailer home when suddenly, HOLY CRAP! A wall of fire blasts out of nowhere! Can you escape this fiery blitz with your life? Run, flap, and flip your way to safety in this short and sweet platformer. You'll dodge spikes and walls and maybe even discover a couple secrets along your way. Good luck and don't end up as a BBQ!

This is my first time utilizing a collision system with floating point values. Let me know if you enjoyed this adventure! I sure loved making it!

7 comments

Cart #staticbrick-2 | 2019-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Z - Start Game
X - Make the ball go a little faster

0 comments

Cart #kaylasbreakout-1 | 2019-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #yorofojiso-0 | 2019-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Beginning of a version.

0 comments

Cart #betayumewa-0 | 2019-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments