BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #fractured_rogue_wip-15 | 2021-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a roguelite that takes place in a universe that is being fractured, you must survive 10 areas and waves of enemies to hop through portals until you reach a place that is protected!

Features include:
-destructible walls
-environmental hazards (fires, water, spider webs, pits)
-29 enemies (with varying abilities/features)
-25 items/spells
-3 basic player classes (with 2 clothing styles and 8 different pallets).

Portals will appear that will take you to the next area. Enemy portals will pop up after a while, spawning more enemies as the area becomes more fractured, forcing you to move on. Pick up potions and new skills that will help you survive and go through 10 areas.

Z - Open / Close Menu , Cancel
X - Select menu option
Arrow keys - move , Attack (when moving into enemies)

Let me know what you think!

8/27/21 update: accidentally removed the water generation, so it's re-added :D. Attack animations, require a little more xp for levels, and maybe a couple of other smaller things.
8/22/21 update: There is now a fog of war, different level generation, enemies get harder the further you get now, and other various tweaks!
7/1/21 update: Added basic movement transition (looks MUCH better now), Removed wait command
2/27/20 update: Various tweaks, added some new enemies and spells. Officially done with this cart! (at least for now)
2/23/20 update: Fixed bugs, added a few items / features. Almost ready to tie a bow on this game after polishing a tiny bit more.

5 comments

Cart #skiordie-2 | 2019-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Race down the mountain and get as far as you can in 30 seconds. Pick up flags to extend the time, but avoid obstacles that will bring you to a halt. Pick up and throw sticks of dynamite to get rid of trees.

1 comment

Found a console crashing bug that makes the song editor open pattern -1. For me so far it's only displayed track 00, hasn't been able to play, and if I try to save while -1 is open, PICO-8 crashes and doesn't save.
I've repeated it a couple of times but still don't have a concrete way of getting -1. The time I remember most of what I did when it occured was when I had 6 tracks of a song (00-06, speed was 22, tracks were in channels 1,2 and 3 in the song editor), one track for the test (08, speed may have been 22 or 16, it was in channel 4), and I played the song from pattern 00 (it ends in pattern 02) twice. Once I held down a note while the song was playing to fill track 8, and the second time I held down a different note till it filled track 8. As soon as the song ended (I held down the second note till the end) the song editor opened pattern -1 which had track 00 for all its channels, all 4 of which enabled. Ctrl+S resulted in a crash and no save.

I forgot there were buttons for record and screenshot. Pics of display attached :P

0 comments

When printing with no coordinate arguments, text is printed on the next line after the last prompt position. In addition, when the bottom of the screen is reached, all previous graphics are moved upward.

It is also possible to print multiple lines at once, and when printed at the bottom, it will also move all previous graphics from multiple lines.

However, the lines after the 1st one won't be printed correctly. The 2nd line's bottom half will be hidden, and the lines after that will be invisible.

Reproduction:

1. Start PICO-8
  2. Enter print("1\n2\n3")
  3. Repeat until prompt reaches the bottom of the screen
  4. Repeat. From then on, "2" will be cut and "3" will be invisible.

Note:

This also applies to Lua multiline strings using [[ ]], [==[ ]==], etc. instead of "\n".

0 comments

Cart #book_of_truth-3 | 2020-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Quest for the Book of Truth

A Zelda-inspired adventure for PICO-8!

How to play

Once the game is started, your character can be moved around the screen using the arrow keys.

The Z key will use the item shown in the top-right of the screen. You will start with a sword, but you will need to find other items in order to complete the game.

Pressing the X key will open a menu which shows the name of your current item. Once you have obtained other items, you can switch which one is being used by pressing the up and down arrows. Press the Z or X key to close the menu and continue playing.

Objective

[ Continue Reading.. ]

25 comments

Cart #dtreasurev1_1-2 | 2018-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

The vox_api.txt lists the last two optional arguments for draw_voxmap() as rotation then color. However, it's color first, then rotation.

0 comments

Cart #aquova_snowman-3 | 2018-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Snowman

by aquova

Try to build the largest snowman in this appropriately themed puzzle game!
There are 20 levels to play and to try to get the best score.

Controls

D-pad: Move player
X: Hold to reset level
Z: Select options

2 comments

Cart #lowmemsky-1 | 2018-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Low Mem Sky: L A S T

You awake to find yourself on an alien planet, with the desire to achieve one thing... reach the centre of the galaxy!

Made in PICO-8 for #DemakeJam 2018, where the original build came 3rd Place.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Cart #arch-1 | 2018-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Arch" is basically a test of a mechanic I thought of while playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I was curious if a top down archery game would be fun with just one directional control, so instead of using another stick to aim, the player just presses Z to iterate over the current enemies. Holding X "draws the bow", getting more accurate the longer it is held down.

This is my first Pico-8 game. I've listed it as WIP mainly because I realized how inefficient my code was half way through - not sure if it is worth it to continue or just start over. Either way I'm proud of my first game!

TODO (if I decide to keep going):
-add some tunes
-add save data (hi score?)
-better var names (current variables are impossible to understand without comments!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #pofazahamo-0 | 2018-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Explore the wolrd of Carmina and discover friends, enemies and terrible mosters. Walk around and try magic on things.

Controls: use cursor (arrow) keys  to walk around and swim (if you have the lifesaver)
X to use magic (once you have the magic wand).

I made this for my 5 yo daughter. Maybe other kids would enjoy it. And even adults.

5 comments

I'm going to get to the point here.

1. How do you update? It seems almost all the games not predownloaded are incompatible

2. How do you import and export .P8 files?

3. Dev Kit Mouse. I've seen people talk about it a while ago. Is there any news on that? Is it possible to macgyver the GPIO or USB port to get it to work with a mouse?
8 comments

Cart #nilquesteasymode-0 | 2018-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Looking for the Code button? Click here!

Controls:

Up/Down/Left/Right - move North/South/West/East
Z - Interact (Use / Pick up)
X - Use Item

The Story:

As part of the coming of age ceremony of your village, you are tasked with defeating the vile dragon atop the mountains north of town.

Your quest may be more complex than most as you were born blind, deaf, and without the sense of touch.

However, don't let that dissuade you! Where your senses fail you, perhaps your sense will prevail!
And so - your quest begins!

Easy Mode?

That's right! The original proved too hard to get started with, so this version contains some concessions to make that easier. The meat of the game is the same, so if you already beat the original, you won't find anything new here.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #guyudumamu-0 | 2018-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey, I just wanted to say, if you ever wanted to look at my code/art/music/sfx/maps, or just get .png of any of my games/doodles... Now you can! Now you can find all my carts here!

Happy Christmas and New Year!

2 comments

Cart #paradoxpong_v3-2 | 2018-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press X to continue.
Up and down arrows to move.

1 comment

Cart #homerun-1 | 2018-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A new game approaches!

Hello!

I've been missing Home-Run Contest in Smash Ultimate, so I decided to try and make a Super PICO Bros. version as my first game for PICO-8! It is a bit broken and won too simply (rather than played for the longest distance), but, hopefully, I'll get to a point where I can fix it up!

Directions:
Press up, right, and down to perform an uppercut, a jab, and a flying kick, respectively.
Pull off a combo of 100 in ten to launch Sandbag out of the ring!

To do:

• Add timer and timer six
  • Make win condition based on the number of hits, maybe a multiplier, and a (possible) timed, final punch
  • Add percentage damage counter in large board under title (which would fit by lowering the floor and could accomadate the win/lose messages)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Wanted to know if there were any release plans for *BSD systems. Or any systems that use libc instead of glibc?

0 comments

Cart #mb_xmas2018-0 | 2018-12-25 | Embed ▽ | No License

Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 comments

Cart #bingle_jells-2 | 2018-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ring all of the bells in each level to progress -- but be careful not to stand too close!

This cart is my contribution to the Advent Calendar 2018. I think it turned out well as a wee concept game, but it's really the equivalent of a hastily wrapped box of chocolates purchased at 3am on Christmas morning from the closest gas station, compared with the amazing work that can be found in the calendar. Try out the other 24 games here if you haven't already:

Cart #pico8adventcalendar2018-31 | 2018-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

I learned make transparent with fillp() drawing.
and want remake this.

Cart #fillpdraw-0 | 2018-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

FILLP draw

This cart is tool that export code for drawing with FILLP() and RECTFILL().
The Exported data can Execute that using without Sprite sheet.

Controlls

• Canvas area
    -- Left Click : draw pixel
    -- Right Click: color pick
    -- Space key : panning (space hold and mouse drag)
    -- Z : undo
    -- X : redo

• Palette area
    -- Left Click : color pick
    -- Right Click: color pick

• Sprite sheet area
    -- Left Click : move the view along the grid
    -- E,S,D,F : Slide Sprite sheet data

• SAVE Button

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->