BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #gifts_on_venus-1 | 2021-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Evil skulls have put explosive gifts all over Venus! Go and slash them off to save Venus!

Controls:
- Use arrow keys or D-Pad to move

• Use Z or the [O] button to slash
  • Slay all the gifts to move on to the next level
  • Do it before the timer gets to 0 or the gifts explode and it's game over!

Thank you to Chris Donnelly (@Gruber_Music) for making the music for this game! Support him!

Thank you also to all my own Patreon supporters whose support lets me make awesome things like this game!! Here are the name of all my 3$+ supporters:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Hello!

I am trying to access the Lua scripting abilities of 3.5, but I have no idea how to open the script editor.... I am pretty sure I must be missing something super basic.

I open the designer in Voxatron, and then create a new cartridge. I get the volumetric display with nothing in it, and I can even add one of the two pre-made scripts to the middle of the room, but I have no idea how to open these scripts for editing, or how to create a new one.

Help?

3 comments

Cart #aquova_pipes-0 | 2018-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A pseudo-tweetcart of the Windows/terminal screensaver pipes.

0 comments

Cart #bruja_bust-5 | 2018-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can you dodge the police drones long enough to see gay magic be legalized?
Arrow keys move your witch. The drones will appear from off screen and try to crash into you. You have to try to draw them into hitting each other instead. For every 50 pts you get an extra heart. For every 100 pts you get an extra life. The police can only send so many drones at a time, so eventually they will run out and you can move onto the next level.

Z/X have no function other than continuing through the intro, level up, victory, and game over screens.

This is my first game complete enough to share here!

edit: small bug fix on victory screen

8 comments

The Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick have simple remotes and their applications can be little more than web applications.

An example of the remote: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/remote-input.html (also includes relevant docs for Fire TV.)

Using the Internet browser within my Fire Stick "works" for PICO-8, but appears to use a touch screen interface. I am forced to use my remote to drive around a virtual finger to either use directional buttons or press the fire/jump buttons. This isn't a functional interface when using a remote.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay money to get Splore as an app on my Fire stick instead of having to deal with the web interface at all. The remote should work really well for these games, and it would be great to play them on my projector.

0 comments

Cart #snowball_showdown-4 | 2018-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A blizzard duel between rivals! Grab a friend or play against the computer in this one-on-one stand-off.

Created as part of PICO-8 Advent Calendar 2018 organized by @Bigaston.

Controls
Player 1: Left Shift
Player 2: N

Goal
Win a best of five against your opponent. Mash the button to create your snowball, and then time your throw carefully. If you throw your snowball right before getting hit, you'll dodge your opponent's attack!

About Me
Howdy, my name is bridgs, I'm a game designer based in NYC!

• I'm active on Twitter if you'd like to be in touch

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #rg_snowytweet-0 | 2018-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was getting a little bored of my main project, so i took a detour and made a tweetcart!
All it has are 2 little houses on a snowy hill, but it looks pretty nice in my opinion.

4 comments

This was a level that I've been working on for a while; currently unfinished but I'll upload the finial product before I stop working on it.
The starting area was made to highlight the mostly finished parts of the game, which include: the abandoned factory, the slime encounter, the corrupted weapon's core encounter, and the skeleton encounter. The starting area will be removed in the final game, and the levels will be played in sequential order.

Edit: In this minor update, I have removed many bugs, while also trying to improve many other things.
I don't have an exact list of everything I did (someone got rid of it while I wasn't looking). Many of the bugs were things that happened in the abandoned factory. I also added some visual flair in the corrupted mines.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #snowman-5 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a little animation/transcription of Walking in the Air from "The Snowman," an animated film from 1982 that I must have first seen in about 1987 or so. I recently watched this film again and it left a really strong impression on me, and I felt I had to make this little PICO-8 cart celebrating it.

Update 1-1-19:
Happy New Year! I made a few more improvements to the karaoke animation so the text scrolls more smoothly, the currently sung line is highlighted by a drop shadow as the ball slides across it. After more testing it looks like the code for tracking elapsed ticks is working great on all platforms. (except if you navigate away from PICO-8, there seem to be issues but it appears to affect other carts too not just mine?)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

x=x+shl(
  y
)

Works fine.

x+=shl(
  y
)

Syntax error: unclosed (

x+=shl(1,
  y
)

Syntax error: unexpected symbol near ')'

5 comments

Still chipping away at sound design and _update() sections of my other projects. Little by little, they're going somewhere, or so I'm telling myself.

But this season hit some high traffic at work, as expected, so in light of having any real concentration-allowing downtime, I started visuals on what I'm hoping may turn into a "fundamentalist Terraria" project I'm simply calling Terra.

This little 32x16 chunk; sprites 126-127, is the biome metamap which defines the whole 416-screen world:

While some of these screens will be packed solid, or have little notches of ore carved out of them, a good chunk of screens will also be tunneled/mapped by applying variants of these other (lower end) tiles; often meant to mash in some treasure hunting and world structure. I'll probably also have to use some manual scripting to input minecart tracks and space for their use.

The top section is the player and basic objects/platforms in the game, and the middle section is enemies/creatures. I'll probably put some more "player head" variants in there for humanoid enemy types. I'm hoping to make four boss creatures, one for each corner of the map area (??); and maybe a 3-minute day/3-minute night cycle. Something you can mash through in a 15-30 minute sitting, but still full of surprises and exploration, you know?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hello,
Can you allow cli arguments to voxatron like pico8, atleast loading the cart file?

0 comments

Hi all,
I'm what can be called a pico-8 player: I've written something by myself in this years but I love pico-8 for the neverending streams of "bathroom games" made by talentous people here. ( I thank all of you, i rediscovered the joy of playing this type of games).
The problem here is that the mobile player is giving me some serious issues:

NOKIA 6 2018
ANDROID 9

CHROME:

Can't go fullscreen, it's completely broken

FIREFOX:

Can't go fullscreen either

When pressing buttons, after the canonic 3 seconds the button remain highlighted ( and sometimes pressed)

I cannot play anymore on my phone, and this is making quite a bit sad.
I've some experience in javascript and html and I can try to fix it, if @zep give me his authorization.
Let me know, I don't wanna wait till my tiny pi pro!

2 comments

Wow. PICO-8 is extremely fun to work with, and I'm so happy I stuck around to learn how to use it!

Right now I'm learning how to work with tables and 'objects' to sort of port a game I'm currently developing called HellHole. It's a top-down shooter where you choose between controlling your body or the bullet (which is your soul).

So far, I've managed to not slow down the game with a shit ton of instances and that makes me happy!

I'll leave you with a gif of the latest bit of progress: A spawner, soul particles, and screen-shake.

1 comment

The function peek4() does not properly check its number of arguments, so calling it with no arguments will cost zero cycles. Combined with any other function that costs fewer cycles than its number of arguments, such as shl(), this can be exploited to reclaim CPU cycles.

Here is a function that reclaims n cycles:

function reclaim(n)
  for i=0,n/5 do
    shl(peek4(),peek4())shl(peek4(),peek4())
  end
end

I do not know to what extent this can be exploited, but here is an example.

The following program runs at 15 FPS:

function _draw()
  for y=0,127 do
   m=3+rnd()
   for x=0,127 do pset(x,y,(x+7)*m%5) end
  end
  print(stat(7).." fps",1,1,7)
end

But this one runs at 30 FPS:

function _draw()
  for y=0,127 do
   m=3+rnd()
   for x=0,127 do pset(x,y,(x+7)*m%5) end
   reclaim(200)
  end
  print(stat(7).." fps",1,1,7)
end
4 comments

Cart #dancer-0 | 2018-12-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

106 frames of animation, compressed and embedded in the cart (half in the code, half in the gfx segment).

5 comments

Cart #theburgermassacre-0 | 2018-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

To play follow the instructions and press the shown direction faster than your opponent. Use "x" to confirm and "c" to go back in menu.

For ethical reasons a vegan mode is included and can be activated via the settings.
(However we promise in our production and testing phase no animals were harmed.)

Feel free to comment and write us critics etc, as we are still learning and this is our first project.

1 comment

I have started measuring function costs precisely, because I like accurate things. It’s all on the wiki but not fully complete.

Here are a few funny things I already learned:

• <code>x^.5</code> costs 16 cycles, whereas <code>sqrt(x)</code> costs 27
  • <code>x^4</code> costs 8 cycles, but <code>x*x*x*x</code> only costs 3

Some of these, such as clipped <code>circ()</code>, are pretty tricky to measure, I hope someone can help!

Edit: removed claim about shl() because that function behaves a bit differently.

6 comments

Cart #confusing_prison_mansion-1 | 2018-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 DAYS | RANDOM GENERATED GAME TITLE | PICO 8

Confusing Prison Mansion and what we did with the title.

This prison is so boring. I mean what are you supposed to do with all this free time.
Read books? No… and the interior as well. It‘s so lame. Could do with some color and nice new furniture.
To be honest I‘d rather be in a mansion right now.
Collecting keys, opening doors and stepping on that mysterious light spot might help with that.
Oh, and don’t get caught by the cop!

Confusing Prison Mansion is a challenging puzzle adventure created by three tired Students. For the first ever game we created, we had the challenge of using a random game title. We generated our game title with The Video Game Name GeneratorThe Video Game Name Generator.

Hope you enjoy our game.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->