Hello!

I am trying to access the Lua scripting abilities of 3.5, but I have no idea how to open the script editor.... I am pretty sure I must be missing something super basic.

I open the designer in Voxatron, and then create a new cartridge. I get the volumetric display with nothing in it, and I can even add one of the two pre-made scripts to the middle of the room, but I have no idea how to open these scripts for editing, or how to create a new one.

Help?

P#60315 2018-12-24 13:57

In Designer, in the Objects panel (bottom-right), make a new script object.

Then just double-click the new script and put in your code there. You can use the same standard game loop functions as PICO-8: _init(), _update(), and _draw()

Then when you run your cart, those standard game loop functions will run on their own. Hope that helps!

P#60319 2018-12-24 15:56

Fantastic! It helps a lot! The internal folder structure is something I still need to wrap my head around, but at least now I have a "hello world" running!

Do you know what is the difference between the first "object" folder and the second one? As far as I can tell, they seem to be mirrors of each other.

P#60338 2018-12-25 06:21

Yes, the two objects tabs are the same and are there to make navigation easier when jumping between objects (I'm going to try and squeeze in more tabs later).

Just a quick note about the main callback functions: the ones prefixed with underscore (_draw _update _init) are single global functions that can be overwritten. So it would work even without placing the script in a room.

Scripts that belong to an object (defined inside an actor, or a script object placed in a room) use callbacks without underscores: draw update init.

I'll be posting some better documentation later this week! But here's the WIP: https://lexaloffle.com/voxatron.php?page=resources

P#60342 2018-12-25 07:31 ( Edited 2018-12-25 07:32)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 11:28:42 | 0.006s | Q:14