BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This Celeste Classic mod took me so damn long to make, at least a month's worth of time dedicated to this. I really hope you enjoy this.

Cart #gock_version_1_1-0 | 2024-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• Arrows to move
  • Z to jump
  • X to dash (when you acquire the ability)

There are 18 collectibles in total, and only one Gemskip Route, leading to the best ending, however you won't be able to collect all the collectibles in this route, due to collectibles being either in fake walls, or being way too out of reach.

Making a 0-dash Gemskip route was already hard enough with the options you even have anyway.

Update Log

v1.1

• Fixed the arrow block glitch where can get you stuck.
  • Added quick restart button.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

@zep o/ thanks for fixing the sfx arpeggio effects! here's another audio bug for you:

The music for embedded BBS carts has a noticeable music desync in some cases (the individual tracks sound out-of-sync from each other). I noticed it on linux+firefox with my music visualizer demo cart, reproduced here for convenience:

Cart #datufbuyi-0 | 2024-08-02 | Embed ▽ | No License

Individual tracks desync from each other; it consistently happens after the song switches from pattern 3 to pattern 4. The second screenshot here shows me catching it right when it happens:

>

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Utility Functions for PICO-8

Cart #utils_fn_with_tests-0 | 2024-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Utility Functions for PICO-8 is a collection of essential functions, inspired by JavaScript, that simplifies game development by offering common operations on tables and strings. This library is particularly useful when porting JavaScript code to PICO-8, making the transition smoother and more efficient.

Functions Overview:

• Iteration Functions:
    • foreach(t, fn): Iterates over each element in a table and applies a function.
    • map(t, fn): Transforms each element in a table and returns a new table.
    • filter(t, fn): Filters elements based on a condition and returns a new table.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #f32b_test-0 | 2024-08-22 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

• Operation cannot be confirmed online.

If you want to store floating point values ā€‹ā€‹in user data (or POD storage), currently using floats in user data or memmaps will not give good results.

My guess is that using floats in user data will be treated as standard in the future.

This program, f32b.lua, is included, and main.lua contains a simple usage example.
It is very experimental, but may be useful in some way.
It may also be possible to improve it and achieve more.
I don't think f32b.lua is fully optimized, but someone could perfect it.

The usage is as follows (contents of main.lua):

include "f32b.lua"

--[[
*** If you store it in user data.

f32b.lua uses "u8" for user data. Each floating point value uses 4 bytes.
In other words, if you want to save two values, create it as userdata("u8", 8).
--]]
mydata = userdata("u8", 8)

-- To set a value for user data, do this:
set_value(mydata, 0, -123.45)
set_value(mydata, 1, 100.0)

-- To extract it from the user data:
print(get_value(mydata, 0))
print(get_value(mydata, 1))

--

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=153082#p)
0 comments

I've been following the basic shmup tutorial from @Krystman and Lazy Devs (with some adjustments) to try and learn some more of the basics in Pico 8 and Lua and game development in general after pretty much failing miserably at my first game attempt (still working on it tho.) Before finalizing enemy behavior and the spawning (my difficulty is still wildly inconsistent), I wanted to work on the boss explosion, but I've run into a bug I can't seem to figure out. I can't get the timer to delete the boss after the cool explosions to actually count down. I've set the boss HP low and the wave to the final one for testing if anyone can help me out understanding what I've done wrong here. I'd also appreciate any advice anyone has regarding creating a proper scaling difficulty.

Cart #coryxvii-1 | 2024-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hello there! I made this post as a tutorial on how to port your Linecraft world to Minecraft. Porting your world to Minecraft isn't really useful, but you can see your creations better than the 9x9x9 cube you are limited to see at once in the PICO-8 version.

1. Porting your world

First things first, let's convert your world! So, select one of your worlds, click on Options and click on Port to Minecraft. This will make a giant file named commands.mcfunction.p8l on your current directory. (That also means, this feature on BBS doesn't work, as you cannot access that file later on... sorry!) This file you have to put on a datapack for it to work.

But, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Once clicking the Port to Minecraft button, it will take you to a pre-port screen where you can enable or disable features of the port. These are the different available features:

• Place borders: Places borders around the limits of the ported world to prevent any water from spilling out.
  • Use Slash: Creates a slash on every single command. This will make the game unable to read your datapack but you can still use the text file for something else, like executing it using a macro instead.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

PICO-8 "FUSE" SHMUP Game

Cart #fuse_shmup-0 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-8 SHMUP is an action-packed shoot 'em up game where you pilot a spaceship, blasting through waves of enemies, collecting power-ups, and avoiding obstacles. As you progress through stages, the difficulty increases, making every second count in your fight for survival.

How to Play:

• Movement: Use the arrow keys to move your ship left, right, or forward.
  • Shooting: Press Z to shoot bullets at incoming enemies.
  • Boosting: Hold the up arrow key to activate your speed boost, which increases your ship's speed and score multiplier. Boosting also changes your ship’s appearance.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Pico Guess Who?

Cart #guess_who_4-0 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico Guess Who is a fun, turn-based guessing game where players take turns to guess each other’s character by asking about their attributes. You’ll compete against the CPU, trying to identify their mystery character before they guess yours!

How to Play:

1. Setup: The game generates a grid of characters with various attributes such as gender, hair type, hair color, beard type, body color, and whether they wear glasses or not.

2. Your Character: At the start of the game, both you and the CPU are assigned a random character from the grid.

3. Guessing:
    • Take turns asking the CPU questions about their character’s attributes (e.g., "Is your character a man?", "Does your character have glasses?").

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #sortinghat-1 | 2024-08-22 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a little tool to create discussion groups in a classroom setting. You can edit the houses (group names) and add up to 32 students. It has a simple text interface and a more elaborate graphic one.

2 comments

Cart #orbitaldefense-1 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Orbital Defense is a simple, fast-paced arcade game inspired by an LCD game I got from a cereal box as a kid. Protect your planet by shooting down incoming asteroids before they reach you.

3 comments

Cart #nazarfloppalovesp8_badapple-0 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

is my PICO-8 version of Bad Apple that im working music

Press O/Z for change palette

Thankes @JWinslow23 for make cartridge

0 comments

Cart #autotile_demo-0 | 2024-08-21 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Z/C to place tiles, X to remove tiles

Just a little example of an auto-tiling procedure that can track and place the appropriate tile from a tilemap based on a tile's 8 neighbors. Code is in the cartridge - see it for yourself with load #autotile_demo

Feel free to optimize, copy, re-use, and remix in your projects! I'll be building (eventually) a level design tool for a platformer so that users can create and share their own levels with one another.

1 comment

Cart #aquarium_wallpaper-0 | 2024-08-21 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I isolated the aquatic part of TenSum to use as a wallpaper and I thought I'd share. Just move it to /appdata/system/wallpapers/ and choose it in the settings to activate it. Have a great day!

0 comments

Hi,

is there any way to include appdata files in the html export or to load files copied next to the .html file when running it locally?

I'm currently using fetch to load files from appdata and the only way I found so far to make them accessible from the html export is to copy them to /ram/cart before exporting and fetch them from there. Also tried using file:// with fetch.

Is there a better way?

4 comments

Cart #solitaire_chess_vol1-1 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Solitaire Chess

About

68 solitaire chess puzzles. Drag and drop. Mouse only. Every move must be a capture, no check, king can be captured. Win by leaving only one piece. Lose if no remaining moves and more than one piece.

There are two modes: puzzle rush and relax mode. Relax mode is recommended, but if you get to the end you don't get the winner screen and no points. In relax mode you can navigate to any puzzle by using the selector at top left and clicking "GO". There is no clock or points and progress is not saved.

In puzzle rush mode, points are based on how much time is left when a puzzle is completed. Each failure or reset of puzzle is minus 50 points. You can go negative and progress is saved. Clicking "start fresh" will delete all progress.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

My new work in progress! Special thanks to Lazy Devs Academy, for the music (which is temporary) and for the score diplay. Have fun, I hope you enjoy Shootout.

Cart #shootout-6 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #safinazepo-0 | 2024-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a test of a theoretical way of storing samples in a compact way. It is 1 bit PCM, which means all samples can only be on or off. It is very compact, being able to theoretically store over 40 seconds of audio, but that's if you ignore the compression capacity (which is at 95% with only 30 thousand characters and 181 tokens), and also the fact that a sample being played back at only 5512 hz at a sample bit depth of one sounds pretty... awful. Also, no it's not running slow, the screen only refreshes whenever the sample buffer is filled with new data.
The sample is taken from a section of Metallica's "Enter Sandman". Please be careful, as it is also really loud.

0 comments

Cart #the_fart_button-0 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

THE FART BUTTON

Is clicker game you pressed O/Z for click fart button plays fart sound

Get Started

Get started make a code im good lazy coder in PICO-8 im coding simple clicker game with points HUD

Sprites

Im very goofy good drawing in PICO-8 im started draw a button sprite in 32x32 im give sprite when pressed O/Z pal() that like a button click
[32x32]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #blastodrome-0 | 2024-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dodgeball + High explosives = BLASTODROME. Throw bombs across the field to score points, and don't blow yourself up!

Play with a friend in versus mode, or sharpen your skills against the AI in solo mode.

How to play

Score points by picking bombs up and throwing them into your opponent's half-court. The player with the highest score at the end of the timer wins.

If a bomb explodes inside your opponent's half-court, you win 1 point. But if it explodes inside their spawning corner, you score 3 points instead.

Power ups

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #catreeboard_alpha-3 | 2024-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Catreeboard is a typing game that helps players practice their typing skills. By successfully typing words on the next branch, the cat will jump in an attempt to avoid rising flood waters. I'm making this in collaboration with my son of whom is learning to type.

Roadmap

• Main game mode to have levels and calculation of score (based on wpm, accuracy) in addition to infinite scrolling as it is now.
  • A losing condition with water rising from the bottom of the screen.
  • Sound effects (jumping, game over, etc).
  • Music.
  • Better thought out dictionary.
  • Customized cat color.
  • Customized difficulty.

Changelog

0.7a:

• Expandeded dictionary to over 80 words per word length (6 levels)
  • fix: No back-to-back same words

0.6a:

• Implemented challenge mode!
  • Game over screen at the end of challenge mode with metrics displayed.
  • Added menu option to end a game early.
  • Expanded camera capability to scroll in both directions.
  • Improved accuracy from being reduced for hitting non-letter keys.
  • Improved pause behavior.
  • fix: Uneven flood rise.
  • fix: Restore camera after background draw.
6 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->