Hello there! I made this post as a tutorial on how to port your Linecraft world to Minecraft. Porting your world to Minecraft isn't really useful, but you can see your creations better than the 9x9x9 cube you are limited to see at once in the PICO-8 version.

1. Porting your world

First things first, let's convert your world! So, select one of your worlds, click on Options and click on Port to Minecraft. This will make a giant file named commands.mcfunction.p8l on your current directory. (That also means, this feature on BBS doesn't work, as you cannot access that file later on... sorry!) This file you have to put on a datapack for it to work.

But, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Once clicking the Port to Minecraft button, it will take you to a pre-port screen where you can enable or disable features of the port. These are the different available features:

• Place borders: Places borders around the limits of the ported world to prevent any water from spilling out.
  • Use Slash: Creates a slash on every single command. This will make the game unable to read your datapack but you can still use the text file for something else, like executing it using a macro instead.
  • Use Namespace: Uses namespaces on entities, items and blocks just in case a mod or something similar has the same ID as a default Minecraft feature.
  • Place Entities: Places items and entities around the world!
  • Place player: Teleports you to the same place where the Linecraft world saved its player, and also sets the inventory, spawnpoint, etc.
  • Daylight: Sets the daylight to as the one saved on the Linecraft world.
  • Relative XYZ: Places all the blocks using the player's coordinates as coordinate X0, Y0, Z0, so if the player is at X1524, Y10, Z0, then the 64x64x64 world will be placed between the coordinates X1524-X1587, Y10-Y73, Z0-Z63.
  • Do Gamerule: Executes a handful of gamerule commands to try and emulate Linecraft's game logic (for example; lack of grass growth & fire).

Select which options you want and the world will be converted!

2. Preparing your Minecraft world

Now, we create a new Minecraft world or select an older one, and on the Select World screen, we click on Edit and Open World Folder, to access the files.

Then, we go to the datapacks folder and create a folder that will be the name of our datapack. For this demonstration, I'll name it "commandtest". Remember to not use any capitalized letters or spaces.

Now, inside the folder we just created, we need to create two things.

• A folder, named "data" that contains another folder that you can name whatever you want (remember the limitations of before) and that folder contains yet another folder named "functions". I chose the name "linecraft" for the optionally-named folder.
  • A file, named "pack.mcmeta". Inside it, (opening it with a text editor of your choosing) you have to write the metadata of the datapack. You write two values "pack_format" set as 4 and "description" which you can set it as whatever you want.

3. Copying Files & Executing Commands

Inside the "functions" folder, you have to copy the "commands.mcfunction.p8l" file mentioned before. So, on your PICO-8 app, on the commandline, write "FOLDER" and press enter. It will create a window showing the folder PICO-8 carts are on. On this folder, you will find the .p8l file. Copy it to the functions folder and remove the ".p8l" from its name, so it can be readen properly.

Then, the last steps are on Minecraft. Type the command /reload just in case, to parse all the commands.

And finally, if everything went right, typing /function and pressing space will show you a single result, that's your ported world! Type tab to select it and press enter to execute the command. It may take a while to run but once it's finished, you'll see your world on Minecraft!

So good luck porting! (Also, yes I'm currently using windows 8.1, it's an old computer, okay?)

If you have any problems or questions, leave it on the comments and I'll help you out!

Really great guide! I have a suggestion: will importing Minecraft chunks into Linecraft be possible in the future? I know this might be too difficult to make but you could theoretically make a converter that converts chunks to Linecraft worlds, which can be imported into Linecraft using the already built in import feature.

It could be possible, yeah! But I only know Lua at the moment; I don't know how to program in Java to make Minecraft mods (so I could read the blocks though that mod) so for now it's not really possible... at least not until I learn how to program in that language but then it'll take me another 4 years like the time it took for me to learn Lua :P

[Please log in to post a comment]