BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Throughout this month, I've been idly working on a first PICO-8 game with a bit of assistance from my three kids. There's a bit of a story as to where the inspiration came from but I'll spare the details for now.
We've really enjoyed Vampire Survivors for a while and although I've seen a couple of games in this vein for PICO-8, I didn't see them right away and it's maybe a bit underrepresented, I thought? So we went with it. It's not meant to be a demake/adaptation or anything. Among other things, there's no attempt to implement "waves" of enemies.
I think I've figured out everything I wanted to, pretty much, although some movement and targeting could probably be fixed somewhat. Future plans include implementing some form of upgrades/level-ups and pickups. Honestly, I'd like to get that part done in the next 3 days to say it was wrapped in a month.
No particular point to this post right now other than sharing! But feedback is welcome.

Cart #minisurv-0 | 2024-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #nightcrawl-2 | 2024-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Still a playtest version, leave some feedback below!

Instruction:

ā¬…ļøā¬†ļøāž”ļø Move diagonally step left-right or up. Dungeon moves down on each step.

šŸ…¾ļø: C or Y/Z Swap weapons

Gather equipment, shield and gold, survive for as long as you can. No ending yet other than dying due to ever stronger enemies. Each non-shop tile is resolved automatically. Pickup up a weapon with one in hand will overwrite it.

Help menu contains a tutorial that will guide you through the basics.

Combat:

Enemies have 3 things attached to them:

Damage: How much raw damage the enemy can inflict.

Skill: If the enemy has a skill

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

So, I'm fairly new to Pico 8 (8 days in, lol), and I have some minimal experience with python. I watched a tutorial video on how to place enemy sprites using a placeholder sprite and then replacing it with the sprite intended for that location. It seems that I can get the appropriate sprite to display, but not in the correct location. I'm sure this has something to do with my for() loop to determine the current x,y of the sprite, but I can't seem to see it. This is what I have so far.

Cart #dudijabaj-0 | 2024-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #pendulum_by_gg1bbs-0 | 2024-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls - One Button Game

Keyboard: 'x' or 'c' keys
Touch: press 'O' or 'X' keys on the screen

Introduction

Thanks for checking out my first game Pendulum :D

If you give it a go, I'd love to hear from you!

Description

Pendulum is a one button momentum platformer powered by a mathematically accurate physics simulation

_

Credits

Game:

gg1bbs

Music:

RobbyDuguay - Nine Songs in Pico-8 - Track 3: Factory

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #pixled_peczu_manymonkeys-0 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made a thing.

You can't do anything in it but its fun to watch.

Maybe it will write the complete works of Shakespeare, but who knows?

5 comments

Update 30/07/2024:
added in-game music
it feels very finished at this point, so only minor patches will be applied from here onwards

Cart #copperhead_05-0 | 2024-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 29/07/2024:
Fixed quarter-circle input that bypasses backwards movement refusal

Cart #copperhead_04-0 | 2024-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 28/07/2024:
retooled controls for more efficiency

Cart #copperhead_03-0 | 2024-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

A cover of "Middle Dave" theme from the hit Playstation 10 game "Sheriff Domestic" available for purchase in your local gas station. Definetely one of the middles of the Daves(tm).

Whistle version:

Cart #collin_middle_dave_whistle-0 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

No-Whistle version:

Cart #collin_middle_dave_no_whistle-0 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Zombies Clog The Drain

Cart #zombiesdrain_1-1 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Story

Zombies are attacking Yokohama! The infection is spreading and the town is in panic.
With no other options, the genius Dr. Injection creates a cure. However, she is constantly sleep-deprived and is unsteady when giving the injection.
There is only a limit to how much of the cure she can prepare at one time, but there is no choice but to do it.
Administer the injections and aim for the dawn of humanity!

Rules

Aim the scope at the zombie, inject the specific cure, and turn it back into a human.
While the injection is being administered (during a panic), if you come into contact with other zombies, the specific cure will be transmitted.
Use this to return them all to their original state and get a high score.
By setting a directional marker of your choice before firing the injection, you can decide the direction the zombies will walk in during a panic.

If a zombie passes Final Line of Defense, the game is over.

This is an endless game with no clearing point. Keep racking up the score.

Control

ā¬…ļøāž”ļøā¬†ļøā¬‡ļø...up,down,left and right
āŽ...fire the injection / reload
šŸ…¾ļø...decide the direction

...Thank you for playing!

Updates

1.1 ... modify charge meter effect etc.

0 comments

Work In Progress

Cart #penrose-9 | 2024-08-15 | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this little pico-8 game 2 years ago. This will be a remake.

2 comments

Cart #tadizihoma-0 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm having trouble with my player movement after my map updates. My map seems psuedo-randomize after the 1st screen like I want (I can tinker and fix this later). The trouble I'm having is that my player won't continue moving upwards after the map redraws and resets your position. Essentially every screen seems to treat the lower half as if it's the first screen ie running the collision detection on sprites that don't seem to be there. I'm stumped. Any help would be much appreciated.

3 comments

Cart #neriwosizi-0 | 2024-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a custom song and not a remix of any other song. You can use this song in one of your projects as long as you credit me in it. Thank you!

P.S: if you noticed why i kept using the phaser instrument, its because it reminds me of one of the popular games on here called Celeste, and yes i know theres a remake available on pc and consoles.

0 comments

Cart #dtkupib-1 | 2024-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is a demake of the Ataritin Bytebeat by Decent-Manager-6169. i have no clue if pico-8 makes this playable as i am new to this but then again this is only a test.

Original Bytebeat: https://dollchan.net/bytebeat/?fbclid=IwAR2uKV1pHNgtWNwYloB2G_NqvokCQ8_A3LiHVn5FrrN6qcVFzforSsaPF-c#v3b64dVLbboMwDP0XpNECpo0NhGYSSPTyA3tFTKJbHyZt3aQiXtb9+2yHauyh5BDbOfGJc/kOXj5fT8FjMFapOzg4V7gyBUFfDXWNFJbQVG2KYAER5rZrpwkdbKuWwAHm8Ge6tu9gx6kFRyXMjDJ7ZliK5WZGmQMzJMsYmFvlmqZa8qqbZ1naXKXPr0N8XlNMcbyUOj1IVhKwMPlKC650jRRFoc14d1m8MM45Yxj8Owmkk1iG5Vu0rO2VG5C2hR23PRz+S9Z1HmbYwbGSWvj8jCnmBY28Q+lpalb9UcduM9JMcIsnWB32vvJ+V/f1ZCIJRk0WwsceOeSagIBwrzQnF8xw3KxKS9aovtX8fPK8Vqk9S5Vag6fLKYUvjzFOQj7CTKG+F8TbW0LyBxraHPrkyEdJCa6KuGmSjOLL23mJK1vwwabDukB6yCjZRBFzAQSX/uPr/fTUD/yYM+Ir+PkF

3 comments

Unttiled Flying Jelpi Game
is funny game based on Time for lunch by @zep

0 comments

Cart #healthbar_demo-0 | 2024-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small health bar demo project.

Usage

You can tweak the values in the draw_lives() function to change the appearance of the health bar. The 'x' and 'y' variables control the x and y of the top left corner of the health bar, the 'off' variable alters the spacing between the hearts and the 'life' variable controls the number of lives, out of the 'max' variable.

Feel free to use this in any project you may be working on!

0 comments

Cart #bitbytes-0 | 2024-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Im made new technology
4 SFX that im add rnd on function _update and s that like a music
S use that random SFX like a music
SFX only using phaser wave

Code

s=rnd(2)

function _init()
end

function _draw()
 cls()
 rect(s,s,50,50)
end

function _update()
s=rnd(2)
sfx(s)
end
0 comments

Cart #dinorun-3 | 2024-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple arcade like game, the controls are just the left and right arrow keys. In order to start press the X button!
It is still work in progress!

UPDATE

New menu update!

UPDATE!
jumping!
and a freeze power up

1 comment

Cart #spacedout-2 | 2024-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #dsikowono-2 | 2024-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little topdown game I made in around 3 days. Hope you like it!

Version History

« v1.1 »

• Fixed skip in final level
  • Added better music
3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->