BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #sandsimulation-2 | 2024-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've been trying to crate a water simulation, but so far I was only able to make this not so bad sand simulation. My head is not working anymore, so maybe some of you could give me some tips on how to make a water simulation out of it.

1 comment

Cart #celtex21452-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Welcome to my first post!
I present to you the

Popup Notifications!

Cart #popup_demo-1 | 2024-06-02 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

But as you can probably see, it sadly does not work out-of-the-box.
The problem is such Picotron (AFAIK) doesn't have any way to draw a window which would be visible on all workspaces.
So I had to slightly edit original Window Manager and add such an option.

Furthermore - changes made to /system folder are only temporary by default, so I had to bypass it as well.
I don't know if this is a well known thing, but you can just copy the /system folder to a different location (cp /system /tmp), delete original /system and rename previously copied directory to /system. Then it will be a real folder, not stored in RAM.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #test_tinted-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is some work I did on creating some more fancier looking shadows, which could either be a rectangle version (thanks to @2darray for extra help on that) or using any shaped size or coloured sprite to use as a mask for the shadow effect.

I'm sure with using some additional math and tline you could probably create a lovely dynamic lighting effect with it too.

Press X or C/Z to see the other two tinting types in action. CTRL+P to see the performance hits.

0 comments

Cart #smoothielovers-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it's a 2 players only game with one button each to play.

One player use buttons X or C and the other the arrow keys.

This game is inspired by Chiritorie on wario ware inc. on GBA.

2 comments

Cart #supasnek-3 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

have fun! :D

0 comments

Cart #pioupiou-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Piou Piou Piou is a two player shooter, use controller for a better experience.
Blue player can only shot blue ennemies and beeing shoot by blue bullet.
Green player can only shot green ennemies and beeing shoot by green bullet.

0 comments

Cart #bacon-9 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #pepper-4 | 2024-06-29 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

load #pepper

Pepper is a lua PrEPRocssing script that can help create different builds from the same code.

Source is under the MIT license at https://github.com/Werxzy/pepper.p64

Pepper works by looking through all the lua files in a loaded project and searches for specific labels, which can then be used to remove or add code before running or exporting. It takes 3 different forms: 1. A tool in the tooltray from which you can select an initial .pepper config file. 2. A window that can be run without installing. 3. A terminal command. After installing, you can type pepper into the terminal to get more info.

Upon installing:

• Pepper will be copied to /appdata/system/tooltray/

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #conways_game_of_life-2 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's my try on John Conway's Game of Life. If you don't know what it is, please read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

I tried my best to make it fast enough and not overload pico 8, which caused some inconveniences such as an invisible cursor. But it is anyway much fun to use and add life on the run. So idk, i'm open for any suggestions on how to improve it!

--Controls:
Press space bar or X button to start or stop life generation.
Press Z to delete all life on the screen

You may use the mouse to add life by simply clicking left mouse button or delete it by pressing right button. By default it will add just a single life pixel, but you can change it to different patterns using these characters on the keyboard:

• 0 - just a singe life pixel
  • 1 - block

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Super Mario Bros. Starman Theme REMIX

(Credits to Nintendo)

While editing Jelpi to be a mario-reminisced game, I had the idea to make the Star/Starman theme from the original 1985 Super Mario Bros.

I also made the song as if it were in Jelpi, although to be honest I don't really see the comparison well as I had imagined the sound would've.

Anyways, enough of my talking. Here's the song itself:

[sfx]

You're free to use this, but please give credit if you do.

0 comments

Cart #yuru_lumberjack_demake-0 | 2024-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LumberJack Demake

A demake of Telegram's LumberJack game. Chop wood as fast as you can, but watch out for those branches!

Controls

Default configuration

• Left Arrow or 🇴(Z): Chop left
  • Right Arrow or 🇽(X): Chop right

If you are playing on a console where the keys positions are swapped, you can press 🇽(X) in the main menu to swap to the below configuration:

Swapped configuration

• Left Arrow or 🇽(X): Chop left
  • Right Arrow or 🇴(Z): Chop right

Special Notes

My first cart, hooray!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

When the code that sets the window property and executes vid() is run, the file browser is covered by the console screen.
In this state, you cannot return to the file browser unless you type exit into the console.

window{
 width=128
 ,height=128
}
vid(3)

I don't understand the underlying mechanism, so it's hard to offer suggestions for a solution...
but something like these may be what we need.

• Restrict the use of window and vid() at the same time.
  • If a new console is running, even in a window application, close window and console after execution is finished.
  • Running window application from CART RAM is always done on the console screen.

I hope i can find a simple solution.

0 comments

When selecting notes on the SFX screen, if they extend above the top level, an unusual note will be pasted.

This is the clipboard content at that time.

--[[pod_type="notes"]]unpod("b64:bHo0AD8AAABJAAAA9Qt7bm90ZXM9cHh1AEMgBQkEAC--AA8oDA8gEAYAgQgQDgwIEA8wDwAEBgDwAggQDQwIECx4MD0wLHgxPTh9")

Also, when copying all notes in a track and pasting them to another track with no selection, the track will be formatted incorrectly and will not play.
There is no way to recover except to do an undo.

0 comments

Cart #awesomepossum-6 | 2024-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Work in progress prototyping:

• procedural animation
  • drawing player in multiple parts,
  • brawler style level
  • smashing things
0 comments

I wanted to know if there was a way to export games from pico-8 splore favorites into p8.html and .js form. I've had some bad weather and just wanted to know so I can play them offline some.

8 comments

I'm a physics teacher and my students always have a really hard time visualizing vector addition early on, so I decided to make a little tool so they can play around with 2-D vectors.

• Up to 6 vectors and their resultant vector.
  • Can be arranged from the origin or tip-to-tail
  • Can view Cartesian components or polar representation
  • Grid can be zoomed and panned

Things I may add:

• Short tutorial or at least a "controls" tab
  • Viewing x/y vector components or angles on the grid
  • Choose your vectors' colors
  • ...?

Please let me know if you think it needs any adjustments.

Cart #vectoraddition01-0 | 2024-05-28 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to use:

• Click on "Add Vector" button, then click anywhere on the grid to set the tip of the vector.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #moonbreak_jam_v1-0 | 2024-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Over the last month I worked on a little Pikmin-inspired game for the 21st Eggplant Podcast game jam. What I ended up with is a fun little toy where you explore a level looking for three parts of a ship needed to escape a collapsing moon.

Ultimately I didn't end up delivering on a lot of the planned features or narrative that I had in mind, but I'm happy with the end result. I developed portions of the game live on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/kevinmakesgames) and YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/@kevinmakesgames/streams). I regularly committed and pushed all of the project files to Github (https://github.com/kevinthompson/moonbreak-p8/) along the way.

I developed this in part as a test of the object-oriented approach I've been refining in PICO-8. In the end I still came pretty close to the token and compressed size limits so I still have work to do optimizing my OOP approach (or you know... admit defeat it and write more data/function-oriented code).

7 comments

Cart #euclideanrhythmgen-1 | 2024-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a little machine that generates Euclidean Rhythm.
You may read more about Euclidean Rhythm here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_rhythm

--controls
Press play button on the left bottom part of the machine to play the sequence.
You may find two knobs on the bottom right part of the machine. The left knob changes the amount of steps in the sequence. The right knob changes the amount of euclidean triggers.
You may also change the speed if the sequence by pressing up and down arrows. The speed is shown in BPM on the top right corner of the screen.

I was interested in creating euclidean generator in Pico 8, so this cart is just an example. Hope you'll find it interesting.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #kadoyanfirework2-0 | 2024-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press X to launch fireworks.

[UPDATED] More fireworks.

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->