BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Hi, i have come across pico 8 recently and messed around with the edu version. But today i remembered that like 3 years ago i bougt the full thing, i still got all of the files (i found them on my laptop) and it works on my new pc. But i wanted to run pico 8 games on my miyoo mini + (this little linux handheld). There is an emulator for it but its not the best in quality. Oh, and i created this account now becasue i didin't have one, there is no emails from lexaloffle on any of my gmail accounts with the purchase code or something like that. Can anyone help?

3 comments

Cart #turiyotuke-0 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About:

This is a small demo for a platformer / speedrun game. This started out as some introductory practice for game dev, but it ended up turning into a whole level. While very unfinished (there's not even music yet!) it's in a playable enough state that I've found it pretty fun to speedrun. Feedback is very much appreciated!

Goal:

There's a finish line at the bottom of the stage; try and reach it as fast as possible! There are doors on the way down that need keys to pass, so try not to miss them as you make you way around. Remember, if you want a fresh start, you can always go back to the beginning by holding the Down key for a few seconds.

Controls:

X - Jump
Z - Slam / Spin

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Where can I find the changes to each update of Picotron?
thanks

3 comments

Cart #conveyor-2 | 2024-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first ever Pico-8 game!
In Conveyor, you play as a little robot that cannot move except for clinging to the conveyor belts above or below you.
Avoid the obstacles, hang on, and persevere!

Controls:
UP - cling to belt
DOWN - sit on belt
X - restart level
Z - begin game

There are options in the menu to mute the music and sfx.

I developed this game in part on my twitch stream!
Lately we've been doing a bit of stumbling around in Picotron, come hang out!

Zeflyn on Twitch!

Thanks for playing!

UPDATE #conveyor-2 : Fixed bug that allowed for infinite respawns on final game screen.

5 comments

I've got a Raspberry Pi 400 that I've done some Pico-8 stuff on.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to release a binary for Raspberry? Picotron feels like the perfect match with the Rapsberry Pi 400.

4 comments

Cart #charactron-1 | 2024-04-21 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What is this tool?

This project was done for Picotron Game Jam (March 17th 2024 to April 20th 2024).
(Link to the game jam)

My plan was to do a character maker, something similar to what you can find on Picrew but for Picotron.

What can I do with this?

Everyone can use this avatar maker to make their own characters for any of their game projects (RPG or visual novel I guess?), mostly for Picotron. You can change the sprite, edit the character... The only constraint is to give a link or at least name this tool somewhere.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #speedemup-1 | 2024-04-20 | Embed ▽ | No License

new version

0 comments

Cart #modetihega-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

As a tribute to Matthew Patrick stepping down as host of Team Theorist, here is Science Blaster, better known as the Game Theorists' theme song, remade in PICO-8.

(Yeah, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but better late than never, right?)

But hey, that's just a theory. A game theory! Thanks for watching.

0 comments

Cart #fade_code-0 | 2024-04-20 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The code in fade.lua will perform a basic fade to your specified color in rgb,
for the number of frames you specify. It defaults to black for 20 frames.

This cart also doubles as a Hyper Light Drifter Wallpaper. :D

0 comments

Descender

Cart #descender-0 | 2024-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Story

Descender is a pico-rogue adventure into the Pico Ruins, the entrance of which was found underneath the ground behind a small house in a small village.

Rumors have been stirring in the town inn of great treasures found within. The ruins are calling your name!

Controls

D-Pad

Use the d-pad to move around and navigate menus.

Start Button

The Start button will enable the Pause Menu. Here you can disable the music amongst other Pico-8 options.

X Button

Hold the X button to ready an arrow. Push a direction on the d-pad while holding the button to adjust your aim. Release to fire the arrow.

Hold the X button and simultaneously press the O button to skip a turn and force the enemy to move.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Not much idea what I've created here as still very much a noob at all this coding stuff.

Cart #greedygob-0 | 2024-04-20 | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #obscurists_cave-3 | 2024-04-20 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

load #obscurists_cave Loading it this way does not seam to work for some reason? You can just use the png download.

NOTICE

As of writing this, key() does not work in the web player. You can use arrow keys and right mouse button as substitutes for WASD and space. Otherwise, I would recommend playing on your own Picotron if you can

CONTROLS - (requires mouse and keyboard)

• WASD - left clump of buttons
  • space - left lone button
  • mouse - track ball
  • left mouse button - right lone button

HISTORY

This is a port of a physical game/machine called Obscurist's Cave. Obscurist's Cave was made by Lynn Mathewson over the course of 2 years from 2005-2007 as one of his many side projects. Lynn would keep the device in the basement of his house for the next 9 years. After becoming hospitalized in 2016, Lynn would have the device donated to The Media Archaeology Lab, the local computer museum. Lynn insisted that a cassette of Negative Frequencies(1) be available to listen to as visitors played the game, saying that no other piece of music could better describe his mental state during the creation of Obscurist's Cave. Lynn died a later that year, on June 22nd. The device has required repairs, but is still in working condition as of 2024.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #somesunrisething-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first project.
Just a nice background with sun on the back.
Inspired by Pico&Chill.

0 comments

Cart #doors_quest_demake-0 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Content Warning: Contains violent themes and alcohol consumption.

Hello! This is my first Pico-8 release. It is a demake of Doors Quest Demo, a game I released 6 years ago that was originally made with GameMaker Studio 2.

You gotta go through the door if you wanna win the game. There's just one thing more, you'll need a key to open the door. So you should go through that door and read the words hidden inside. What are you waiting for? I'm just gonna keep typing about the door.

And now's the part where I thank you for playing my weird little game. Thank you.

0 comments

The mouse cursor will no longer be visible.
(I also noticed that GIFs were not output properly.)

This phenomenon has been observed in previous versions.
Restarting with the reboot command does not fix the problem, so you need to exit the application once.

The situation when I was checking

• Multiple pico8s were running (other mice were normal)
  • The editor was running for a long time
  • I was using stat() to get the mouse.
  • Sprite sheet was copied from another cart by reload
1 comment

Cart #th_realms-0 | 2024-04-20 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

​This was made over the course of March 14 - April 19, 2024, for the Bunkertron Jam and Picotron Game Jam.

Z to shoot
Left shift or F to focus
X to reflect (with meter)

Game Design by Jayce McCue and Maya Zimmerman
Programming by Maya Zimmerman
Art by Jayce McCue
Music by Maya Zimmerman
Story by Jayce McCue

Tested with a Super Famicom controller and presumably works with other controllers as well.

For the true LoLK experience I was going for, set lives to 1 in game.lua.

6 comments

I've been writing an archetype-based ecs (entity-component-system) library for picotron and i put it up on github!

https://github.com/snowkittykira/picobloc

It keeps component values in picotron userdata so that for simple cases like velocity / acceleration, you can use userdata operations to make it very fast! As a result it is probably slightly harder to use than the other ecs libraries available for picotron right now (which use tables to represent entities), but should allow some pretty good optimizations.

you can see the example from the readme running here:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=141824

and my plink cart also uses it, though it doesn't really need the optimization:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=141789

0 comments

Cart #ecs_waterfall-0 | 2024-04-19 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a little demo of an ecs system i'm working on that uses userdata to store component fields

it's 4k particles, hold the '`' key to see cpu usage for update and draw (edit: oops this key only works on desktop apparently, but it's currently at 16% update and 33% draw)

2 comments

by auex
Cart #pct2-1 | 2024-04-19 | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi!
This is really my first actual public picotron program (and first fantasy console), but i’m really happy about it.
It’s still really buggy and laggy, but i recommend loading it and running it that way.
I hope you enjoy it!

specs:
64x32 pixel display
64k-symbol programs MAX (including newline, tab and such)
4 colors
inputs: 0-up/w, 1-down/s, 2-left/a, 3-right/d, 4-z, 5-x, 6-c, 7-v
sound: 0-11 (e5, d5,c5,b4,a4,g4,f4,e4,d4,c4,b3,a#3,g#3)

memory map:
screen: 1-2048
ram: 4001-4300
colors: 4301-4304
inputs: 4305-4312
rom: 4313-68313
settings: 68314-68323
extra: 68324-68999 --675 places for free!

API:
—graphics

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Caution

This runs poorly in the Web version of 0.1.0f (runs too slow for the streaming to work well). This cart is better experienced in desktop versions.

Long Line Theory

Cart #eyn_llt-0 | 2024-04-19 | Embed ▽ | No License

This cart is a quick port of [Long Line Theory][llt], a bytebeat track that was and still is impressing me as of today. When I have access to directly audio rendering, this is usually my audio Hello World, especially with the [C version][llt.c] I made to port the JS snippet to desktop.

This bytebeat is actually quite heavy, I had to resort to some tricks like a dirty resampling from 8kHz (its original sampling rate) to Picotron's 44.1kHz. It gave me enough spare cycles so I could whip that ugly visualizer. Can't have both your cake and eat it, I guess!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->