BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #pigsquad_after_dark-0 | 2024-04-04 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was so excited to see that Picotron had screensavers, the first thing I did was to recreate the flying toasters of my youth using the mascot for the Portland Indie Game Squad, CubePig.

(It says HAPPY BIRTHDAY! because it was made for PIGSquad's 13th anniversary celebration. You can toggle the text by pressing X.)

0 comments

CoCo Clicker V1

Cookie Clicker Demake - Malsarthegreat

Cart #cococlickerv1-0 | 2024-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first Pico-8 Game! Love this fantasy console and I love clickers so I thought I would take a stab at a classic!

It is fairly basic at the moment with only 5 upgrades and 1 sfx but I am pretty pleased with the UI so far!

Plan on continuing work on this but this is what I have for now!

Features so far:

• Cookie clicking!
  • 5 Upgrades
  • 1 sfx
  • cartridge saving and loading (persistent storage)
  • cookie animations
  • milk animation
  • Simple/usable UI

A few known bugs:

• Alchemy upgrade cost is wonky
  • once you hit 50k cookies, it turns negative and eventually you start over.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #nanpa_kule-0 | 2024-04-04 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

nanpa kule, "color code"

This is a little tool I created for displaying all 32 colors with their corresponding color code.
I know a lot of people already did thoses kind of tool, but I wanted to do mine !

Please do not look to close in the code, it's bad, I'm not good with Picotron yet...

5 comments

One of Picotron's features is that it can read the keyboard keys, but because the escape key is used to quit the currently-running program, it appears to be unavailable for making applications that respond to keypresses of the Escape key (say, to cancel an operation, dismiss a dialog box, interrupt some in-game process, etc.).

It seems to me that once the app is exported into a standalone app (as mentioned in the FAQ), the escape key (perhaps) can be safely captured and responded to in that context. Anyone know if we'll be able to read the escape key in standalone games? And if so, how do we get the development system to "play nice" with that so it can be developed and tested?

2 comments

I'm trying to cast a shadow over a distorted sprite by setting a fill pattern with transparency andd then rectfilling over the sprite. But I can't seem to get the pico-8 fill pattern transparency bit to work. Does anyone know how to get this effect working in picotron? For reference, the introduction to https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/Fillp describes it at the end - adding 0x0.8 to a fill pattern will enable the "on" bits to be transparent.

5 comments

Cart #flycave-0 | 2024-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Flycave

A one-button game based on my favorite old PalmOS game called SFCave by SunFlat. Press the up arrow to swoop up and let go to dive down. Dodge the obstacles and don't hit the edges of the cave.

Notes

This is my first attempt at a game on any platform. The game mechanics are directly from SFCave, but I put my own spin on the graphics to learn as much as I could about Pico 8. Feedback is very welcome!

1 comment

Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to format floats when printing them out like you would to with the good old printf("%2f", float{2}); in c++.

Thanks!

2 comments

The GBA port of the 1997 Microsoft Puzzle Collection didn't include Fringer, so ever since I lost the CD-ROM in the early 00's, this game has been living deep in my subconscious.

Was it easier to write a demake than to get an old version of Windows running in a VM, or the archive.org image of the CD-ROM to run in some wrapper, or whatever? Probably not. But I had a ton of fun badly transcribing two of the tunes that live right next to the Tetris theme and the Megaman 2 soundtrack in my brain and trying to express the idea of a Lilliputian in a 12x12 pixel square.

Cart #picofringer-3 | 2024-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HOW TO PLAY

• Eliminate the ropes by untwisting the knots
  • When a rope is completely untwisted it disappears
  • ⬅️ / ➡️ move the frame side to side
  • ❎ twist or untwist a knot
  • Untwist the sparkling knots to collect bonuses
  • ⬆️ or ⬇️ to use a bonus to change your knot's angle without twisting a rope
  • 🅾️ to use the repaint power when the spinning palette appears on the screen
  • Connect a flame at the top and bottom to remove a rope
  • The sliding bar pushes the knots down
  • Don't let a knot reach the bottom

RELEASE NOTES
Update 2

• The paintbrush power-up which randomly changes the color of strands. Becomes available in world 3
  • More consistent movement and bugfixes when operating at the bottom of the screen
  • Fourth and final background and music track
  • More music tweaks to existing themes

Update 1

• Levels are now generated to match PC game's difficulty curve for strand colors and knot distribution
    • This might've made things a bit too hard since it results in the starting knots being so close to the bottom of the screen. The bonus distribution is more generous than the PC game, though, which helps
  • Added some safety checks to hopefully prevent some crashes... still tracking down the source
  • Added one more background and theme
  • Cleaned up some instrument and sync issues with existing themes

ROADMAP & KNOWN ISSUES

• Inconsistent behavior when a sweep starts while there's an active candle/flame powerup
  • Readability issues with colors, especially on the "Sea" backgrounds
  • Expand title theme
  • Options Settings: use ⬆️ or ⬇️ to use bonuses, swap ❎ and 🅾️ for knot and paintbrush
  • Investigate adding a row of knots by using the whole screen height and moving the status row and bonus icons to the side of the playfield
4 comments

Title says it all.
Problem is the same on firefox and safari on Mac, and on safari on iPhone.
Embed arrow still works, so you can still get the cart's id from it and view the game's code in pico-8's editor.

1 comment

idk if the arm64 of Picotron will eventually come out, but I definitely can’t run the normal version on this specific Chromebook :/

1 comment

Cart #bitmapimporter-0 | 2024-04-03 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In the fast moving world of Picotron, the PNG importers have already rendered this mostly redundant, but I thought I'd post it anyway. This little app imports an 8bpp bitmap of up to 64 colours and outputs to clipboard a pod containing the palette and the image, as well as a couple of lines of code to use it. You can specify the palette offset to use, so if your image contained only 32 colours but the project you want to use it in already used the first 32, you can offset it.

I've had decent results using Paint.net, using the Quantize filter to reduce colours and it lets me have good control over dither patterns. So I may still use this for some future projects.

UI design and feedback are minimal. The offset field won't allow for a value which will exceed 64 colours but it doesn't tell you that. I just decided to ship it in it's current state.

0 comments

Cart #endless_marble_racing-3 | 2024-04-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Marble Cup is the most prestigious racing competition, and every sixty seconds twelve of the greatest mice come together and compete for the glory, and a chance at the coveted Crimson Crown!

I built a whole physics engine for Momo's Momentum, which I lost motivation on after releasing one level. But I wanted to use the tech to make a marble racing simulation. It's like cocomelon to me.

• A new race every 60 seconds, generated using the date and time as a seed
  • No gameplay, just watch and have fun :)
  • 12 marble multiball action
  • The winner of each race receives a crown for the next one
  • Use up/down arrow keys for manual camera control
  • Press Z/X to toggle a zoomed-out view and see the whole course!
9 comments

Resolved

Does anyone know of a long distance function that does not: 1. Overflow, 2. Gives pixel perfect distance, 3. Handles distances up to about 200. I have one I'm working with:

function dist(x,y,x2,y2)
 local opp=x-x2
 local adj=y-y2

return opp/cos(-atan2(opp,adj))
end

However, it has weird instances where it throws up its hands and gives crazy numbers.

Thanks so much for the help!

3 comments

Cart #knight_and_prison_of_ice-0 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Join a courageous knight as he ventures into the icy depths of a prison labyrinth. Can he conquer its guardians, reach the heart of the maze, and ultimately rescue his beloved?

Controls

• Move: Arrow Keys
  • Call Sword: (X)
  • Change Power: (Z)
  • Use Power: Double-tap (Z)
  • Pause Menu (with Music On/Off): Enter

(Alternative mapping to X/Z is C/V)

Description

Knight and Prison of Ice is a roguelite action-adventure game where you play as a knight bound to his quest through a frozen expanse. Navigate the perils of the labyrinth, vanquish the three guardians, and rescue your beloved from this icy prison.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hey everyone,
the Revision demoparty had a "fantasy console" this year where we showed a Pico-8 demo.
Since it's using multi-cart, you can only watch it online at the moment.

And for those interested, the complete source code is available in the download archive on Pouet.
(On Windows it seems to runs better in Firefox than in Chrome)

There's also a Youtube video.
And a video showing our approach to the music.

Have fun and let us know what you think!

Meanwhile we made some efforts to get this working in the BBS but we still have some difficulties.
For now you can load and run it in Pico8 from the BBS with

#load themind1
run

This will sequentially load all required data carts (which takes a couple of seconds) and stores them in local storage.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #kawaiiculator-0 | 2024-04-03 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Kawaiiculator is a cute calculator, that will help you add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers!

It supports simple expressions, decimal numbers, positive and negative numbers.

Have fun!

Kawaiiculator has a very juvenile sense of humor. Also, don't divide by zero!

5 comments

Version: 0.1e
Host: Windows 10

How to reproduce:

• in the terminal type:
memmap(0x8000)
  • Picotron crashes

related: how to un-memmap???

4 comments

When printing text on two lines I have found instances where the end of the strings are not pixel aligned. It appears some characters are a different width. I haven't investigated in detail but is this the case or is it maybe a bug? We are talking one or two pixels over 20+ character strings.

6 comments

Flashing lights ahead! Refrain from playing if you have photosensitive epilepsy!!
So, what is this?
This is a remake of a crappy old Scratch game I made a long time ago (Pongle), and how it was supposed to actually play out.

I used @GibletsofJesus's Bounce the Ball to create most of the game.

I'm not sure if I'm going to update this.

Game:

Cart #pongle_is_back_baby-0 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqALoHicVlY

Is it possible to reproduce these sounds with a picotron?

I have almost no basic knowledge of how to combine operators or create algorithms, so I'm just trying to figure it out.

It has been my secret desire for many years to be exposed to FM modulated sound production.
In particular, I have a history of admiring sounds like the Mega Drive (Genesis).
Of course, the songs that make full use of not only FM sound but also PSG sound are nothing short of amazing.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->