BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I have two issues with the ls() function. Any help with them or workarounds would be highly appreciated!
Also hello! This is my first post!

Custom File Extensions

I am making a game that involves a level editor. I have the code save these packs of levels with a custom extension using cstore(), one that is different than .p8. It saves just fine, as it's technically a .p8 file with a custom extension. For the sake of argument, let's say the extension is "levels", so my cstore() looks like:

cstore(0x0, 0x8000, 0x4300, filename..".levels")

I'm also able to load from that created file, like so:

reload(0x8000, 0x0, 0x4300, filename..".levels")

The issue I am now facing is that I want to be able to list all of the files in the directory that have this custom file extension, so that the user can choose the level pack to play. However, the ls() function only returns files that end with .p8 and .p8.png. Is it possible to have it list only files with a certain extension, or at least list all files?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hi Guys, i found a bug? not sure if this -0 (negative zero) is a feature or somewhat useful on other scenarios, kindly try out this code

x = 1
t = -100
function _update()
	cls(13)
	t*=0.5
	color(7)
	print("x+t:"..x+t)
	print("x:"..x)
	print("t:"..t)
	circfill(60,10,5,x+t)
	circfill(60,30,5,x)
end

im using t to animate colors or sprites but i noticed that when t is approaching to 0 from a negative value, it stays negative even tho its 0, and i thought, "of course it does not matter because it's still zero" but it does matter because somehow it's 1 off to 0, at least that's what i think happens base on the colors

im doing a workaround where i check if it's less than 0 and set it to 0. but it costs tokens :<<< i hope this gets resolved. thanks

5 comments

Cart #super_rush-0 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #spacerabbit1-1 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Game in development.

Description.

The moon rabbit wants to save the planet earth from the invasion of the eagle warriors of the sun.

Controls.

• Use the arrows keys to move spaceship.
  • Use "x" key to shoot.

Version.

• 1.0 Playable Beta.
  • 1.1 Fixes the victory condition.
1 comment

Cart #wugepejahu-3 | 2024-03-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A fish trapping sim

Controls

• up/down: +/- speed
  • left/right: turn
  • x button: drop/weigh anchor
  • o button: open fish trap

Slow your boat with the anchor; press X to deploy and X again to retrieve but you only get 3 anchors per day!

Gameplay Tips

Collect fish and sell them for profit!

Take a chance with illegal goods! It's risky but you'll get rich fast!

Upgrade your skills at the shipyard.

Getting caught with illegal goods will increase your wanted level.

Reset your wanted level at the police station.

You can move items from your inventory to a trap to dispose of them.

Don't crash into the walls! A shipwreck will cost you a pretty penny!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #puzzlesofthepaladin-3 | 2024-03-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

Story

A young hero, fueled by dreams of becoming a revered paladin, embarks on a quest that will test his strength and intelligence. Inspired by tales of the Sunforged Knights, he eagerly undertakes the arduous trials that they administer and judge. Success promises not only rank among their esteemed order but also the rewards of riches and the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.

How to Play

There are 62 rooms. Use the items in each room to kill the monsters and exit as efficiently as possible. Resources are tight, but you may be surprised at how you can use them to make your heroic escape.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

34 comments

Cart #yucca-1 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Yucca Mountain!

Madeline finds a new mountain to climb, but things seem different. All of the plants have gone a strange colour...

This is my first mod for Celeste Classic.
It has some palette swaps, big rooms and lore, but that's about it.

Thanks to the Evercore team for making the base cart.

5 comments

Cart #flashlight_1-1 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A flashlight that we tried to make for the Nokia gamejam but it didn't work out, so far

1 comment

This is pretty simple but I thought some devs might find it useful as an easy way to add a minimap to your game. It uses tline to draw a miniature version of the full map area to screen (during your _draw loop):

for i=0,64 do tline(0,32+i,128,32+i,4/8,4/8+i,1) end

The representative pixel is drawn from the center (4/8,4/8) of each sprite, but you can alter this if you want a different selection.

Here's an example of what this looks like in Celeste:

And here's Air Delivery with this line added:

Obviously it can be a bit messy raw, but it's accurate. For your own project, you could put this against a solid background color in your pause menu, for example. And then you might add an indicator for player position ;)

I hope this can be useful out there!

1 comment

Cart #f1_bahrain_gp_track_guide-0 | 2024-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just sharing a short and fun little project I did in honor of the first race of the 2024 Formula One season; the Bahrain Grand Prix. I wanted to include more trivia about the track but ran out of time (the race starts in 8 hours!).

19 comments

Cart #starvation1-0 | 2024-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits

-Developer: kas333
-Playtester: Namie Kuningham <-youtuber
-Inspired by Vacay Volley from ejreyes

About the project

Once my pc broke, I got bored and start playing some pico-8 games on my phone, after searching for a while, I discover a education edition of pico available on browser that in theory could work on a phone with some workarounds.
I already had worked on some mods for other games before so I decide to take the challenge.
Unfortunately, working on a phone had proven to be really slow and frustrating due to lack of native android support +bad phone.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

~ ❤️ starry trip 🌟 ~

a musical journey through the stars

by ral schutz

my submission for the free music jam

containing 3, free to use original tracks

under the cc by-sa 4.0 deed license

Cart #starry_trip_1-1 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #starry_trip_2-0 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #hoppencookie-0 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

HOPPENCOOKIE

basically just Hoppenhelm but some things are different!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(you should play Hoppenhelm also, the music is AWESOME)

description

Hoppencookie is a highscore-based game that is heavily inspired by Hoppenhelm. You play as a cookie (unrelated to setting). You jump across a dungeon while getting as much score as possible and avoiding dying from:
-spikes and spikeballs!
-fireballs!
-the local fauna!
-TNT!
-and most importantly, lava!

but it's all gonna be worth it because you're gonna be rich!
(disclaimer: coins are only used to boost score. actual value may be 0.)

dev notes

there isn't a failsafe for reaching the integer limit (32767) of score. Be cautious. (you can reset your highscore via the pause menu tho)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Hi,

Let me introduce...

PICO-8 Home Server

It's not a game, it's not a cart, it's a tool.

This is a private dedicated browsable library server for showcasing your own games or broadcasting your fav all over your house, share with your family and introduce pico to your friends. It's open source and fully configurable.

The idea come from me having trouble for sharing my cart (tbh, I'm not good at making PICO-8 game yet) with my daughter who don't know "thngs" about dev but know how to watch videos on youtube. So I made a simple web page with real-time-auto-packaging cart directly accessible from her favorite web browser. Since then the project has evolved...

Features

Easy handling web interface for listing shared carts

Everyone knows how to scroll and click a web page right ?
Use your PC or play with your mobile devices with wifi

Search, filter, sort, rate and browse paginated list

Or just hit "shuffle" and discover wonders from the community.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hello, I'm sorry if this was already requested, I've searched a lot for it but found nothing.

It would be awesome to have a few video CRT/DOT filters added to PICO-8 console. It's something I experiment in Fake-08 and it really changes the vibe of the game, it's like adding texture/details in bland colors. It could even be something games could activate/deactivate automatically. Here a few examples with dot, scanlines, geom crt and off (real photos so there are some camera artifacts, sorry):

DOTS (my favorite)

GEOM CRT

SCANLINES

OFF (original)

I think this kind of filter works particularly well with low pixel density content, like PICO-8. What do you think?

2 comments

Cart #alien_assault-1 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small game I made to try my hand at platforming. The goal is simple, just get the highest score you can by blasting the aliens.

I was mainly focused on getting the falling and jumping physics working, although it is very basic and will need to be updated if I want to add things such as floating platforms. I was also trying to make slightly more complex art and animations.

3 comments

Cart #dark_streets_tech_demo_1-1 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dark Streets Tech Demo 1

Hi all! Dark Streets is a first-person shooter, mechanically most similar to Wolfenstein 3D or Blake Stone, but also inspired by Doom, Blood, and Ion Fury. I have been slowly developing this game in my free time over the last year and a half. I referenced LoDev and a paper by Amanatides and Woo for some of the raycasting steps, but the rest of the code and graphics are mine. Enjoy a small preview!

Raycasting renderer

Since the setting of the game is a city, I specifically wanted to write a renderer that could draw tall buildings, short objects, doors, and interiors. I think I am pretty close.

• Pretty performant: Everything below takes up only 50-60% of CPU, unless you go crazy with geometry and distances.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #p8ng-3 | 2024-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P8NG is a project where I'm trying to learn PICO-8 and coding in general

This game uses the NerdyTeachers.com Pong tutorial, but I am trying to add things of my own to it! :)

See roadmap below

-- Bugfixes & Patches --
Game Released (v1.0)
Difficulty Bugfix (v1.1)
Menu Changes (v1.2)
Win and losing (v1.2)
Music (v1.2)

-- Roadmap --
Difficulty ✓ (Added v1.0)
2 Player Support ✓ (Added v1.1)
Win and Lose ✓ (Added v1.2)
Music ✓ (Added v1.2)
Options Menu & More options (higher win condition, change color of paddles)

After I finish this, I plan on making a game that is entirely my own, so if you have any suggestions then feel free to comment!

0 comments

I was trying to run Pico8 with joystick on linux and wasn't being able to.

Until I saw this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/EmuDeck/comments/17dohf8/comment/kspg7o8/

The fact that he was using a steam deck made me think our issues could be related. I then checked the config.txt and the following line:

// Specify which player index joystick control begins at (0..7)
joystick_index 1

Was defaulting joystick's behavior to player 2 instead of 1, even though the index is stated to start at 0 on the comment.

I then changed to this

// Specify which player index joystick control begins at (0..7)
joystick_index 0

And now I can get it to work. Maybe the default behavior was supposed to be joystick to player 1?

1 comment

hello!

i just made my first game on pico-8 in ~5 days :D
it's just pong but i figured i'd put it here

probably still pretty buggy so i might update

Cart #yapper-0 | 2024-02-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

disclaimer: i did yoink like 4 lines of code for moving the screen from freds72

bye :>

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->