BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #intothecastle-5 | 2024-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Into the Castle

by Freddie Baldwin

This is Into the Castle, a short 2D auto-scrolling platformer!

This game takes some inspiration from Geometry Dash, particularly the level "Castlemania" by Serponge.

This game was started as part of a university game jam in October of 2023. However when the deadline came the game was still quite unfinished, and a couple months later, I came back to finish it. This is the final product :)

This is my first finished original Pico-8 project. As such, it may be a bit rough around the edges, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

There is a reference to the game Hollow Knight in this game. The rights for this character belong to Team Cherry. No copyright infringement intended.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #soanworld-0 | 2024-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow Keys : Move

X : Jump

C : Shoot

-

Help Soan gets through 4 colorful levels, facing dangers such as :
Spikes,Quicksand,Lava and even... VEGETABLES !!!

Avoid Traps and collect Tomatoes, more Tomatoes !!

Why ?! Because Soan love Tomatoes !

Shoot Lasers at your enemies, destroy everything yeaah!!

Collect all SOAN letters for an awesome bonus stage !

Fight Devo The Devil, the mighty BOSS from GrafxKid Team.

-

Have fun

-

Recently, a very good friend of mine sent me photo of his son, Soan, 4 at the time, playing Super Shmup (one of my 1st game, thanks to the Lazy Devs Academy)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Pico Paint 2.0

Pico Paint is a really nice painting program I made with Pico-8. Caution: this cartridge is a huge work in progress and there is more that needs to get added.

Update Log

V2.0

• Added a screenshot mode
  • Added an option to toggle the alternate color palette

Controls

LMB to paint
RMB to erase
Scroll to change color
X to pick color from pixel (doesn't work for BG)
Z to set BG color to current color
Hold W/TAB to enable screenshot mode

Cart #picop8nt-1 | 2024-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #plat-1 | 2024-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Old

Cart #plat-0 | 2024-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Platformer example, from GameMaker Studio to PICO-8.

Credits:

0 comments

by npckc
Cart #star-0 | 2024-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is a little holiday card i made for the end of last year & decided to share it here too (:

0 comments

Cart #oceaneer_sonar_nights_demo-0 | 2024-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Howdy Community! This is my first Pico-8 game. I'm a new game developer and this is the most elaborate/complete feeling game I've built to date. I totally fell in love with pico-8 and thought it would be perfect for this project.

My band Oceaneer is a concept band about a Submarine crew that in 1979 was trapped in an endless war game within their Submarine's state-of-the-art computer jukebox known as DJ00x. The crew perseveres fighting against Depth Charges, Torpedoes, and digital monsters that eat music (Styloids, Bad Caps, and more) while they desperately work towards the kill screen that will send them home. You can check our music out on Spotify. Please enjoy the game and let me know if you have any feedback. I've still got a handful of features to add as I work towards version 1.0, but at this point, I really enjoy playing the game and wanted to share it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Tested version: 0.2.5g

When trying to save a new cart by running a cart that contains a save instruction in headless mode, and the target cart already exists,

Repro:

Create a demo cart demo.p8 with the following lua content:

save("demo_inconsistent_save1.p8")
save("demo_inconsistent_save2.p8")
save("demo_inconsistent_save3.p8")
save("demo_inconsistent_save4.p8")
save("demo_inconsistent_save5.p8")

Then run it headlessly:

pico8 -x run demo.p8

The first time, all carts will be generated. On further runs, carts already exist, but only every other cart will be properly overwritten, starting from the second one, namely: demo_inconsistent_save2.p8 and demo_inconsistent_save4.p8

Workaround: make sure to remove all existing target carts in your custom script before saving them again.

2 comments

My game Firefrost just released on steam and itch.io! It's a Pico-8 cartridge, plain and simple.

Background

In December 2023 I was sick, only had access to a Raspberry Pi and was restless. The reasonable response? Make a game. So I started working on Firefrost, quickly putting it together after in a week or two. I had been thinking about putting a game on Steam for quite a while, so one thing leads to another and soon I was working on Firefrost to be ready to release it on steam.

Why it's a bad idea

Steam has specific requirements for how a game on Steam should be. It should be 16:9 (ouch), preferably deep with hours of content (8012 token limit, yikes) and implement the Steam api (no webcalls or anything ;w; (can be solved with an html release + electron, but that's 300 mb of bloat and to me that is unacceptable)). So many things just turn into massive headached, and I'm not a fan of headaches.

I also don't think it's entirely in the Pico-8 vibe to make a commercial Steam game with it. The culture around Pico is that you make schmol things just for the enjoyment of it and just show that to the world. It's very much a tool for devs to fool around in, and I like that feeling. So many things that I do in my life are already extremely commercialized. Music, drawing, game development. I feel a need to make money of my hobbies, and that's been terrible for my mental well being. When I charge for something, I want that to be something good for the audience, and then I have to perform well and yea you see how it spirals from there? I need something that I don't monetize, and I think Pico-8 is good for that.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

A game I started in 2021. My second pico8 game.

Despite popular belief, slimer CAN jump.

Cart #slimer-1 | 2024-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #mowermania-8 | 2024-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I shared a work-in-progress version of this cart a few days ago that I had created over the course of a 4-day hackathon at work. I fixed a few bugs and added some finishing touches on my own time and now I think I'm going to call it done. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

4 comments

Cart #mibumujeya-1 | 2024-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TOMODORO

version 1.0
Tamagotchi+Pomodoro=Tomodoro

Description

Tomodoro is a virtual pet-based pomodoro timer. This project aims to create an focus tool/idle game. Ultimately I wanted it idle enough to encourage focus while you're studying or working, while simultaneously, providing a small source of "entertainment" every now an again. It is weirdly enjoyable to watch the little guy run around...

Mechanics

Select how often you would like a reward. For example lets say you choose 15 minutes. Every 15 minutes you will receive 1 gem. Your pet ("Tom") moves around the area and you cannot control him. You can feed the gems collected to your pet. These will help him level up to a max level of 3. After this you may feed him infinitely(aka until the in-game time function breaks in 9.5 hours). You can access the "tool tray" by pressing up.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pozodamupu-0 | 2024-02-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Celeste but everything is invisible :O

2 comments

Cart #youngling_yeeter-0 | 2024-02-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first PICO-8 project.

Move with ⬅️⬆️⬇️➡️ keys and strike your lightsaber with ❎

1 comment

Cart #deyajezisi-7 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Garden v 1.0.1

Garden is a puzzle game to match flowers in a garden to earn points.

Gameplay

• Match 3 in a row to score points and earn coins
  • Use coins to purchase greater varieties of flowers and special abilities
  • Get the highest possible score before the clock runs out
  • There are a total of twelve different flowers: carnation, violet, daffodil, daisy, lilly of the valley, rose, water lily, gladiolus, morning glory, cosmos, chrysanthemum, and holly
  • Four special abilities: clear screen, reset the tiles in the stack, increase timer, and reduce the cost of the stack

Controls

X to select a tile from the “stack”
O to switch between your “stack” of tiles and your special ability cards

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #starwarspodracer-1 | 2024-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first try to pico8!

Controls:
-use the arrow keys to move
-use X to get some more speed/movement

0 comments

Cart #driftmania-5 | 2024-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny Tracks. Fast Laps

Driftmania is an arcade time trial racing game. Your goal is to get the fastest possible time on each of the 15 challenging tracks

Controls

• Up Arrow or Z: Accelerate
  • Down Arrow: Brake + Reverse
  • Left Arrow: Turn left
  • Right Arrow: Turn right
  • X: D-Brake
  • R: Restart level
  • P: Pause game + Options menu

Tips

• You turn faster when holding the D-Brake
  • Take a good look at the minimap before starting a track. You need to anticipate the turns to get the best times
  • Grass does not slow you down. It reduces traction, which you can use to your advantage for drifting!
  • Driving over yellow tiles will activate boost. Boost works with whatever direction you're facing - it doesn't matter where the arrow on the ground is pointing
  • Garage customizations do not change car handling. Make your car look however you want it to!
  • An optional ghost can be enabled in the pause menu. Replays are lost when exiting a track

Changelog

• Reduced medal difficulty across most tracks
  • Reduced medal requirements for unlocking new tracks
  • Ghost now defaults to ON

• Revised D4: optional first jump pad, bigger second jump pad
  • Arrow keys can now be used to change track selection and garage customization
  • Additional medal tuning

Credits

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

Cart #sebukizibu-0 | 2024-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it breaks when i add autoclicker

3 comments

Cart #bharos_m_2minpicovania-5 | 2024-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2-minute picovania

This is a short little metroidvania, with several weapons, unlockable abilities (obviously), and character upgrades, packed into a small map.

hope you enjoy it - I sure enjoyed making it!

I am still learning pico-8 and there is so much more to learn. This cart taught me a ton, and especially the value of tokens. I ended up at 8175/8192 after cutting as much as I could, and skipping functionality I wanted to add. I realize that if I want to make bigger games, I have to be more aggressive with both serializing from strings, and also loading maps/logic from strings as well. Also, pixel art and music is incredibly difficult -_-

Update: Fixed a small bug that made the boss' HP bar go down too slow (only a visual bug, boss HP was working as intended).

3 comments

Cart #just_shoot-0 | 2024-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a simple shooter game I made for learning purposes.

No learning curve in gameplay, just shoot and don't die :)

Have fun!

0 comments

Cart #magnam_terram_rts-1 | 2024-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Playing the Game

You are the commander of a few units facing an enemy force. You can order your units to move to a position, or to attack an enemy. (Attacking is not very useful yet.) The goal (currently) is to destroy all the enemies.
It's pretty much luck-based. FIXED

What's New? (0.8)

• Different unit types.
  • Multiple level functionality.
    • Two new levels!
  • Better combat balance.
  • Fixed some instances of getting stuck on orders and thus being unable to give new ones.

UI

Every unit has their health displayed as an integer on top of themselves.
In the upper left corner, when ordering a unit around, there is an "Order options"" tab.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->