BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #langtons_ant_tweetcart-0 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Langton's Ant is a tremendously simple system played on a grid of pixels that can either be on (white) or off (black). Each during timestep, the ant moves forward in the direction it is currently facing (I have it facing right at the start). Then, if the ant was on a black square before it moved, it makes the square white and turns right; if the ant was on a white square, it sets the square to black and turns left. And... that's it. But despite these incredibly simple rules, Langton's ant emerges from the apparent randomness after about 11000 steps and starts forming a recurring "highway". In fact, Langton's ant not only tends toward this self-organizing behavior, but also is capable of computation with the right setup (i.e. it is a universal Turing machine) -- see this paper for a proof of that.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

i made my first game for release! it's a bite-size fangame for the atelier franchise, about being a young alchemist in a town down on its luck. can you bring back the fireworks festival that used to light up the skies?

Cart #atelierphoebe-1 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it's extremely short for an rpg (15 minutes total). i made a dialog-heavy crafting RPG in pico-8 because i fear neither god nor man. a major goal i had was to make something that felt like a Real Finished Game, rather than an isolated tech demo or something. so it's got a beginning, middle, and end, and talk sprites, and ui animations, and so on. i'm ridiculously proud of this - i've never made a game as finished as this before. please play and enjoy! and tell me what you think!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #resmguse-0 | 2024-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, I found some strange behaviors with sfx and music that looks like bugs
( I marked with "X" when it's behaving strangely)

bug 1: releasing loop of an sfx:

• play a looping sfx
  • release it's loop: sfx(-2)
  • the sfx will complete it's loop and then stop emitting sound
    X but if you check with "stat" you can see that the sfx is still "playing" with no sound
    X it can still block a channel that the music will not be able to use, for ever until it's replaced by another sfx

bug 2: playing a sfx that is already playing in the music

• play a looping music that contain a specific non-looping sfx using music()
  • play the same sfx using sfx()

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #demonfirebybandd-0 | 2024-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first game by father and son game development team bandd! We followed Dylan Bennett's Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial on youtube. We did a little bit of our own remixing, including transforming a movement bug into a feature, allowing very difficult diagonal movement between obstructing objects!

This game is very challenging. B, the 8 year old member of bandd Games only enjoys playing the most sadistic levels of Geometry Dash and making levels in Super Mario Maker with no floors, which his dad won't even try to win. He created the music, sprites and--unfortunately for you--the map for this game, and it's short but EXTREMELY TOUGH! He was able to eventually beat it, or we wouldn't have posted it. So good luck!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #bouncy_war-4 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Balls that color the screen and bounce off different colors.
PRESS X or C to change the start setup
Inspired by https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@[email protected]/111828811846394449

4 comments

Cart #kogateyane-1 | 2024-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #kogateyane-0 | 2024-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tagujeyeyo-13 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An in-progress/demo of a puzzle dungeon crawler I've been working on.

4/2/24: Got major elements in now, just need to get LOS and enemy movement sorted out before doing SFX for various bits.
7/2/24: Added in event triggers, splash screen, tweaked screen wipe, item handling/classes, and redesigned tutorial levels and demo levels.
8/2/24: Tweaked event triggers, collapsing floors only collapse after you walk on them and monsters move, added teleporters and appearing/disappearing walls, creatures on impassible tiles at the end of the round die instantly
9/2/24: Added basic AI for creatures (still missing LOS code), additional description for classes, a turn counter to track speed and to control dungeon elements

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

-- PICO-8 Cartridge

lua

-- Initialization function
function _init()
player_x = 64
player_y = 64
end

-- Update function
function _update()
if btn(0) then
player_x = player_x - 5
elseif btn(1) then
player_x = player_x + 2
end
end

-- Draw function
function _draw()
cls() -- Clear the screen

-- Draw the player as a filled rectangle
rect(player_x, player_y, player_x + 8, player_y + 8, 7)
end

0 comments

Cart #praxis_fighter_x-2 | 2024-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• ◀▲▼▶: Move
  • Hold (X): Fire main weapon (spreadshot)
  • Hold (O)/Z/C: Charge secondary weapon (bomb) / focus mode.
  • Enter: Pause/menu

About

Praxis Fighter X is a fast-paced single stage retro shoot-em-up. Dodge bullets and fight off the militarized police force defending a corporate toxic sludge pipeline.

Inspired by old-school shmups/STGs, the game focuses on reflex-based action and satisfying destruction while including some modern comforts like a smaller player hitbox and a focus mode.

It's on the difficult side but with dedication and the power of 3 Continues you will persevere.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

34 comments

Cart #peseyiposo-1 | 2024-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game I made before I made this account, in fact this is the first game I made on pico-8. It never really had a name until now, just being called 'coingame'. But now that I'm releasing it I decided to give it a slightly better name, Green-Man's Coins.
Green-Man will likely appear in future games, including a way better one that I'm working on right now.
Feb 2, 2023: Deluxe version! menus, music and more!
Items:

• GreenMan: Your character. Use the directional buttons to move.
  • Friend: Friendly character. Will destroy an enemy if it touches one.
  • Enemy: Enemy character. You will lose one life if you touch an enemy.
  • Coin: Collectible. Collect one to increase your score.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Just improved my run, almost halved the time. Maybe I could try the second one too?

0 comments

Cart #bushi_brawler-0 | 2024-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In a quiet mountain range, on forgotten training grounds,
two warriors stand, ready to compete in a pure test of ability.
No tricks or gimmicks,
just their brawns, brains, and faithful swords.

Bushi Brawler

...is a minimal 2d platform fighter, inspired primarily by Super Smash Land and FOOTSIES.

Made alone by someone who plays barely any fighting games, platform or not, for the Samurai Game Jam.

Subject to be updated some day with added characters and better physics, attacks, and AI.

FEATURES:

• a 2 player and a vs CPU mode
  • 1 character type, 1 stage
  • no health, just increasing knockback. hit your players off the edge or into the sky to win!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #fasobizutu-6 | 2024-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple single-draw solitaire game.

• You can navigate the board with the directional buttons, Z to select/move a card and X to deselect.
  • You can move cards to a stack by selecting anywhere on the stack.
  • You can move the card from the end of a stack to the 4 spaces at the top (if possible) by double selecting the stack.

Changelog:[hidden]
v1.1

• Fixed crash when selecting an empty space in the scoring area at the top

v1.2

• Added a colour mode (toggleable from the menu)
  • Removed the flipped section of the cards for clarity
  • Changed the look of the empty slots to better distinguish from cards
  • Added "score:" to the score counter

v1.3

• Fixed incorrectly scoring 15 instead of 10 for moving a card to the scoring area

v1.4

• Fixed not being able to play a new game after winning a game

v1.5

• Fixed selection indicator not appearing when you select a card in the scoring area
  • Fixed giving points when a card moved from one slot in the scoring area to another

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Is there a way to, at runtime, trigger a reload of the game (changed code, possibly with #include s, and all) ?

Reason : I'm coding in an external editor and want to eliminate the edit-save-switch-run-switch loop by periodically, say within _update, trigger said reload+run.

Thanks

1 comment

Cart #rush-1 | 2024-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is my second game on pico-8 platform. It's simple and challenging at the same time.
Try and share your speed record 🚗 My is 640 km/h

Github

4 comments

Here’s a simple example:

a=0
while(a<4) a+=1 if(a!=3) ?a
print('lol')

Expected output:

lol

Actual output:

lol
lol
lol
lol
0 comments

CPU meter can also be switched using Ctrl + O. As per the PICO-8 manual, originally only Ctrl + P is required.
This specification seems strange to me.

Recently, it has become possible to implement an option to operate in combination with Ctrl.
For example, when developing tools, there are times when you want to use the Ctrl + O keys to open files (data).

1 comment

Cart #jumperjump-0 | 2024-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Some school project that needs some work on (Im very new to coding and pico-8!)

I still have yet to know how to add coins or enemies within the game

so please if you have any advice feel free to pitch in any ideas to help!

4 comments

Cart #joke_fighter-0 | 2024-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my game for global game jam 2024, from Rome, Italy
It's a Street Fighter style game turn based. Your opponent starts a joke, and you have to replay in the right way using the right movement combination.
Jokes are in italian just because they are inspired by Pera Toons a famous italian author for kids. The game is designed in coop with my 9 years old daughter Margherita who also creates the pixel art

0 comments

Album is a collection of music visualizers for the PICO-8 Free Music Jam. Just add your music, cover art, and a little bit of meta-data to make your own album.

Controls

Press ⬆️ to dismiss the credit for the tune.
Press ⬇️ to see the credit.
Press ⬅️ to listen to the previous tune.
Press ➡️ to listen to the next tune.
Press ❎ or 🅾️ to replay a tune.

Suggested workflow

• From the PICO-8 console load #album.
  • Save the album under a new name to make it yours.
  • Create your music in the cart or manually copy the SFXes and music pattern from another cart.
  • Replace the cover art and label.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->