BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #pressure_softbody-0 | 2023-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A bare-bones implementation of a pressure softbody using verlet intergration, loosely based on Maciej Matyka's tutorial paper.

I've played around with making pressure softbodies in other game engines, so I thought it would be great for my first pico-8 project. Overall it turned fairly stabled and optimized, and I'm quite happy with the result.

Use left and right to change the pressure, and up and down to change gravity.
Move the mouse while holding a mouse button to push the softbody around.

6 comments

Cart #training_the_pj_masks-0 | 2023-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Training the PJ Masks

Choose your hero and villain and battle until you beat the villain!

But uh oh! The villain can beat you too!

Have fun and enjoy the game!

0 comments

Cart #rotak-0 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all, and welcome to my first ever Pico-8 game posted on Lexaloffle!

About

Roids of the Aster Kind is a clone of my fave retro shooter, Asteroids. It includes all the classic features such as splitting asteroids, UFOs and the dreaded hyperspace key which usually materialises you directly in the path of an asteroid!

Controls

• Left/Right : Rotate ship
  • Up : Thrust
  • Button 1 : Fire
  • Button 2 : Hyperspace

Dev Notes

I've actually owned Pico-8 for a while now, and had written a couple of games before which I never got round to publishing anywhere. But then my old laptop died and I sadly lost those games, so this time I was determined to upload my game for posterity.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #small_fun_area_pipes-0 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

lil game where you wander and walk on piping around floating island

no goals, enjoy.

2 comments

Cart #discorectangle_oxo_v1b-0 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

oxo

Simple version of the classic pen and paper game, Naughts and Crosses / Tic Tac Toe

Credits

By Disco Rectangle

'Winter Song' by The Head and the Heart (adapted by Disco Rectangle)

Controls

Move ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️
Select ❎ / z

Background

Created to familiarise myself with Pico-8 development, including:

• Working in Lua
  • Complete app loop
  • Basic game logic
  • State machines
  • Save data for player options
  • Creation of sprites, basic animations, sound effects and music
  • Particle effects and transitions

Potential improvements, include:

• Current version has very basic opponent logic which selects a random empty square to play. This could probably be expanded without much difficulty to include an actually play algorithm, such as Minimax.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hi all,

New here... just discovered this wonderful system yesterday... I still haven't experimented with actual game development on the platform, but did try the music tracker to check out its possibilities...

While dabbling around with a simple idea for a song with different parts, I assumed I could define each part as a self contained loop and then from the code just switch parts as appropiate. For example: play the first part twice, then the second part twice and then the third part once.

But when I went to search how that could be done I found no simple answer so I gave it a try and made two methods that both seem to work:

1. Keep track of what pattern is playing and for how long and just when it's about to end use the music command to start playing the next part of the song. As the ticks received from the stat(56) change in jumps (the timing of music playing seems to be different than the one for the update function) you can't wait right unitl the end of the pattern, so I guess sometimes the jump might be noticeable. But the advantage is that you can switch to any other pattern freely...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #thirteen_jumps-0 | 2023-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Shoot your way through asteroid fields and hordes of enemies in this short space roguelite. Power your ship, repair components, fight through random-generated levels... or die and try again. Can you make 13 jumps?

Controls

⬆️ or 🅾️     main drive (accelerate)
⬅️ ➡️         thrusters (turn)
❎             cannons
⬇️             jump drive (when online)

Gameplay

Scavenge the asteroid fields to find energy crystals and power your ship's jump drive.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #candlelight_graveyard-0 | 2023-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This month's prototype is named "Candlelight Graveyard". It is a lot more developed than I usually make these prototypes because I wanted to add that Halloween theme, and probably got carried away. I try to just pick one style, mechanic, or function and focus on that each month, but this game has a few:

• lighting of the map using pal() swap and clip()
  • sin() and cos() for rotation of candles
  • fillp() for drawing the grass light effect
  • vertical levels using the full map for easy editing

I also challenged myself to use only 2 buttons in preparation for the 2-Button Jam happening next month. So for controls you only move left and right, with either arrow keys or O and X. The right button is also the action button to move on to the next level.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pally-7 | 2023-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pally

Hi everyone!
This is my first game ever. I'm not a programmer (but learned programming in university 18 years ago) and I've spent on this 5 full days of my vacation, so it has a lot of rough edges and was made with no actual idea in mind (as I was learning). But surprisingly, I am proud of this result and want to do more!
Feedback and critique for the win!

Overview

Help Pally to collect as much stars as possible for higher score while avoiding different flying stuff! Every star also adds 1 material which can be used to build bridges over water (x) (1 material/square) and use shield (o) (1 material/second). Be careful at the start of the game, you have only 4 material units on the start! If you have not enough materials to get somewhere, there are two options:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #seekingthebeast3-2 | 2023-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the third installment of my longest-running series:

SEEKING THE BEAST III

You and your friend went cave diving, but now it is getting dark. It is widely known that staying outside when it is dark is not a smart move as a giant beast roams the lands. But your friend lost the key to the gate house! Recover the key and get home safe!

Controls:

Arrow Keys Move
C Attack
V Block and Interact

Context:

This is a rather ambitious try to create a 3d RPG engine for future demakes. It is a short game, more like a little tech demo, and i hope you enjoy it. It was created with the help of Mot`s Instant 3d plus! and some of

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #egvroom_bacon_1_0_1-3 | 2023-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BaconBaconBacon

32 levels of Crispy Match 3 fun.

Match Pigs to make Bacon.
Match Pigs to shoo Vegans guarding Bacon.
Match Pigs for Sausages.
Match Pigs for Eggs?!?
Match lots of Pigs for KETCHUP BOMBS!

Match Pigs.

4 comments

Cart #savepicoville-7 | 2024-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Save Picoville

To learn Pico 8 I recreated (in broad strokes) one of my favorite Commodore 64 games, Save New York. My first playable version took about 10 days of work, then a few weeks of tightening things up.

I'm loving Pico 8 so far. I've been trying to get some momentum on making a game for years, and Pico 8 is making it fun. It reminds me of programming as a kid on C=64 and Amiga. Constraints ftw.

I find it hilarious that the original game has much better crumbling building animations. I tried several attempts at matching it, but ended up returning to my initial method, using a simple sprite cycle + a few random particles. I eventually caved in and added screen shake which helps a bit.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #kill_the_enemy-1 | 2023-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #gobgob-11 | 2024-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Experience the thrill of an old school dungeon crawler, step into the shoes of the little goblin gobgob as they venture forth into the dark depths of an old dungeon.
Gobgob had heared of a long gone expedition of knights venturing into the cursed depths of these old bricks, the expedition was lost with no trace of where they went. Many followed into their foodsteps trying to archive glory for their own name, nobody ever returned and with time the story of the lost expeditions faded into obscurity.
Now it is our turn to venture into the dark depths and follow the sound of untold tales into the forgotten abyss.

Controlls are as follows:
Controls:
⬆️➡️⬅️⬇️ to move around /attack/ interact
❎ to use magical scrolls and unleash their power
🅾️ to change which scroll to use

Old Versions
[hidden]

Cart #gobgob-1 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-2 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-3 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-4 | 2023-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-5 | 2023-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-6 | 2023-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-7 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-8 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-9 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #gobgob-10 | 2024-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #arkanoidbytfc-2 | 2023-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #kefenafode-1 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

無線局の受信証明である「ベリカード」
新たな文化を知り刺激を受ける出会いを、ギャラリーでの観賞体験になぞらえて展示のタイトルとしました
作家が持つぞれぞれの世界を、ゲームを通して進むことができます

5 Artists Exhibition “verification card” - Pixel Art from Beyond
Artists : APO +, m7kenji, zennyan, Hermippe, Motocross Saito
November 25 Sat - December 10 Sun

@ Kameido art center

5人展「ベリカード」- 彼方からのピクセルアート -

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #yafijejaje-0 | 2023-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[←]: Move Left
[→]: Move Right

[Z]/(○): Jump

Hi guys, so I'm working on a game for a school history project called "A Game of Liberty." and since it's past due, I decided to post it as it is for now and update it later. This game has a story immensely inspired by the causes of the American Revolution (in fact, that's the whole point of the project), but it also has its own unique stuff.

In a game of liberty you play as Pali, an archaeologist looking to find the secrets of the lost empire.

0 comments

It's been fun exploring and learning the past few weeks!

I've been following Lazy Devs and making a Shmup and such. When I got to the particle explosions I thought I'd try to make some basic cellular automata. I saw a lot of Conway's Game of Life, but didn't find any examples of Stephen Wolfram's material from A New Kind of Science.

This is Rule 30.

Cart #rule30-0 | 2023-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Where is my soul ?

game n°11 by PBeS Studio made in 15 days for the cre8 - Pico jam 2023

https://itch.io/jam/cre8-jam

Help the little robot to find a soul by collecting two hearts in a nuclear plant

Two levels to complete with two different gameplay....

1 - charge your energy to jump higher and smash the rock to find a heart in the top of the water city.

2 - visit the city of z - find the key and a heart - use your laser wisely and not explose.

Music inspiration by the Pixies and Camera Silens.

Cart #whereismysoul-4 | 2023-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

Cart #kittylove-20 | 2024-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Shmup following the wonderful Lazy Devs Youtube tutorial, modified with suggestions from my children... Lots of suggestions. There are 5 levels of difficulty: Super Mega Kity God (infinite lives and ultra powerful energy beam), Kitty God (infinite lives), American Cat (9 lives), Spanish Cat (7 lives) and Real Cat (1 life)
2013/11/11 Added a trail effect for the ship, a shield in Super Mega Kitty God and tuned the ship motion.

6 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->