BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #slime_light-3 | 2023-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I just finished a game for a 1-bit game jam, requiring the use of only 2 colors . Slime's light is a small puzzle game that uses light and shadow to activate and deactivate doors and lamps. Unfortunately, I had to minify the code to make it fit into a single cart. You can access the unminified code on the itch page.

Controls:
Arrow keys - move
X - pickup / drop
Z - slow movement

7 comments

I feel like making a set of tutorial carts. What topic would help people the most?

I was thinking of a simple introduction to math for games, since that topic comes up frequently on the forums. Or maybe how to do collision detection? I see people asking about that fairly often too.

Any thoughts? Or suggestions of a topic? Would you find this useful?

2 comments

Cart #yemehosajo-2 | 2023-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #yemehosajo-1 | 2023-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #bugahuzadu-0 | 2023-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #tetrafabrika-2 | 2023-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls: Arrow keys to move. Hold X to pull blocks.

Where do all those tetrominoes come from? From the Tetrafabrika, of course!

Build tetrominoes as fast as possible in this manic arcade Sokoban-like.

This is my entry to Lowrezjam 2023--where you make a game at 64x64 resolution or lower.

v1.01

Lots of little bug fixes and a couple of major ones.

Pushing was horrendously broken in many different ways
You can no longer shove blocks through walls
You can no longer move blocks several spaces away
You can no longer push diagonal-adjacent blocks
Added a current block display in the upper half of the map
Darkened the floor and added a highlight onto the block target tiles
You can only pull one step at a time now
The timer is less stupid and won't allow games to carry on indefinitely (well maybe only if you're incredibly fast)
Max time decreases properly now
Pull bonus is reset properly now
Slight adjustment to title graphic on score screen
There's still an occasional bug where blocks end up on top of each other. Like most things, I think this has something to do with pulling blocks.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Do not worry. It's going to be okay.

Cart #apathello-1 | 2023-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Has today been rough? Are you feeling a distinct lack of emotion due to outside factors? Come sit down, relax, and distract yourself for a little. Play games of Othello against this sentient void, who will be here to support you. It will be okay.

Made for A Game By Its Cover 2023. Inspired by Lumbud84's cover art for Apathello from the Famicase Exhibition 2023. Developed for PICO-8. Also available on itch.io.

Instructions

• Arrow keys: Move cursor, change player difficulty

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Recently I am learning how to combine my collision system with advanced movement into my top-down "walking simulator" cart, when I often found my character "stuck" on the walls.

Cart #acc_movement_xb-0 | 2023-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Note: only applied advanced movement in X axis, while you can go through walls in Y direction in case of stuck.

Collision codes:

function collid(x,y,con)
	local x1,x2,y1,y2=0,0,0,0
	local cflag=0

if con==⬅️ then x1,x2,y1,y2=x,x-1,y,y+7 end
	if con==➡️ then x1,x2,y1,y2=x+7,x+8,y,y+7 end
	if con==⬆️ then x1,x2,y1,y2=x,x+7,y,y-1 end
	if con==⬇️ then x1,x2,y1,y2=x,x+7,y+7,y+8 end

if fm(x1,y1,1) or fm(x2,y1,1) or fm(x1,y2,1) or fm(x2,y2,1) then cflag=1 end
	return cflag	
end
function fm(x,y,flag)
	return fget(mget(z\8,y\8),flag) --assuming solid flag = 1
end

X-axis movement codes:

function upd_pmove()
	p.x,p.y=mid(0,p.x,120),mid(0,p.y,120)

--x:acc movement
	if collid(p.x,p.y,➡️)+collid(p.x,p.y,⬅️)==0 then
		if btn(➡️) then p.dx+=p.acc end
		if btn(⬅️) then p.dx-=p.acc end
	else
		p.dx=-p.dx
	end

p.x+=p.dx
	p.dx*=friction
	p.dx=mid(p.dx,p.max_dx,-p.max_dx)
end

So, have you got any more adaptative collision to cope with that sticky situation? Or is there any improvement for the movement system? Post here if any!

-ThePixelXb_

2 comments

Cart #mangle-0 | 2023-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mangle08 (!!!SEIZURE WARNING!!!)

What this cart does is poke as many values as possible to mangle pico-8 into an almost unusable state. it will mess with colors, drawing, the map(?), and sounds.

This cart is best experienced when downloaded and ran on desktop pico-8, or at https://www.pico-8-edu.com/ . just type "load #mangle" to load it. after running it for a bit try messing around with the sprite editor, sounds, map, or anything else.

2 comments

just api edited

Cart #sadguygame-1 | 2023-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

I've been trying to create a simple idle animation. It's not working. I'm relatively new to this so I have no clue what the error means but if anyone could help me that would be great!

Cart #supuzobujo-0 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks for the help i appreciate it!

2 comments

Cart #megejameda-0 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #basicmovement-1 | 2023-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I need help with collision please
update 1.2: Added cls() because i forgot

thank you very much thePixelXb_ for helping me

I will work on this game until it is the best game ever!!!!!!

5 comments

Cart #ritepabudo-0 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[#SuperMarioBrospico8 resprited 1.2-0#]

1 comment

So, i was thinking about a little horror game where you are in like a big complex and there is a monster, you have to hide when its near you and have to escape. Im currently making it and its pretty hard, the mget dosent wanna work so thats bad, but as im typing this out i think i can make it work just by copying it from the collision system. I will post updates how im doing on the game. I hope you will like the full game when it comes out!

2 comments

Cart #hazmat_havoc-0 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Introducing my first PICO-8 game... Hazmat Havoc!
Created with VirtuaVirtue and Pico-8 Gamer.

You play as an Area 51 worker who dropped their keys through a grate during a shift. You must venture through the depths of the facility, either eliminating enemies or perishing!

A pretty standard top-down beat-em-up until around halfway through, when the player gets tired and... opens new doors. Play and find out!

This game had a pretty crazy development cycle. We had two weeks to develop the game for LOWREZJAM. For the first week or so, we were sort of chugging along. But, after multiple nights where a couple people weren't available, it became clear that we were lagging behind! On the last night, we kicked it into high gear. At first, it was going well, except for the fact that Pico-8 Gamer wasn't available. VirtuaVirtue was developing at light speed, and I was steadily progressing through my half of the game. Suddenly though, communication was completely cut off from me to VirtuaVirtue (I later learned that he fell asleep at the keyboard)! It was quite late, and I ended up staying up and coding as much as I could through the entire night... and then I submitted the game 8 minutes before the deadline! Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

5 comments

Cart #pixel_td-1 | 2023-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this is my first PICO-8 game. It's a tower defense game inspired by an old flash game called Vector TD. Hope you enjoy!

Keys:
Z - open shop / OK
X - send wave / Cancel
Arrow keys - move selection

It's also available on itch: https://tube-man.itch.io/pixel-td
Also the code is available on github: https://github.com/beardedsakimonkey/pixel_td.p8

Updates:
9/12/23 - Fixed bug where towers could earn double gold on kill (thanks Cowirrie)

12 comments

Cart #rojikabwi-4 | 2023-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #tronlegacy-2 | 2023-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

WELCOME TO THE CRUEL BUT FAIR

TRON LEGACY

INTENTED TO BE PLAYED ON KEYBOARD

Your boss stole your work, as you were trying to hack is network he managed to trap you in your own game.

CONTROLS:

• C - Start one player game
  • A - Start two players game

PLAYER ONE :

• Left/Right/Up/Down - Move lightcycle
  • X - Fire projectile

PLAYER TWO :

• S/F/E/D - Move lightcycle
  • A - Fire projectile

GAME A:

In one player mode you have nine tries to escape the mazes and return to your world.

yellow dots up you score, and may have other effects...
hit the word "shoot" to have one single shot

RULES :

• 1 You must find the way to exit.
  • 2 Rules may change.
  • 3 Exit is not always what it seems.

GAME B:

In two players mode you must defeat your opponent height times, by shooting him or making him crash.

You start with one shot, you can have others by passing over yellow dots that randomly appear.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #gudewedaju-0 | 2023-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

11 comments

Cart #bitty_dig-1 | 2023-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Bitty Dig

A small digging game made for Low Rez Jam 2023.

Use your arrow keys to dig. You will need to collect stars to get air. Try to find an efficient path through the blocks.

Tip: You can jump by pressing up, and you can move side to side a bit while jumping.

I really want to make a slower-paced drilling game. I might continue to poke at this for balance.

8 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->