BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #bugs-0 | 2023-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #clickclickclickclick-0 | 2023-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #pixil_massacre-1 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #pixil_massacre-0 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

pixil_massacre

My First Game! Just a fun little arcade game where you can level up your weapons and shoot the escaping prisoners before they get out.

Controls

X to shoot and O to throw grenades
Enter and Exit the shop with X in the bottom right
Items in the shop cost kills
Each enemy that leaves the screen loses one life until you lose

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #gonowabiku-0 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple game demonstrating the Orographic effect. Go high enough and your rain starts to fall. Let it rain for a while on some tiles and plants will grow.

Controls: Movement arrows.

0 comments

Cart #istillwannadie-0 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I just bought a license for Pico-8 via itch.io, was wondering if there was any way to link that here or not? I only see options for Humble Bundle.

4 comments

Cart #shooter_game1point1-1 | 2023-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

top down simple shooter game made in 2 days

1 comment

Cart #cloudgenerator-0 | 2023-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cloud generator 1

Procedural cloud generator using a lot of circles and fill patterns.
I tried to comment the code as well as possible and make it as readable as I could.
It's not a very complicated piece of code, but I know by now that trying to decipher someone else's code isn't always easy.

room for improvement

• Not all generated clouds look great
  • If you start playing around with the arguments in the function, it can be tricky to get it to look the way you want.
  • There is also no easy way to change the colors of the clouds.
  • The circles get smaller the higher up on the screen, but this is based on the absolute y-coordinate of each circle. This means that if you put your clouds lower on screen with the "topy" argument, the radius off all circles gets bigger. The fact that one argument affects multiple things makes the look of the clouds harder to control.
  • The darker and lighter colors are randomly picked, it would be nicer if the base of the cloud was always a little darker then the top of the cloud
  • It could use some more vertical randomness, now it is like a single roll of evenly thick cloud and it gets worse when you increase the density.

Implementing these improvements would probably cost more tokens though.

0 comments

Pico Valley!

I love that cozy games are finally getting big, and one of my favorite cozy games is,without a doubt, Stardew Valley. I played Harvest Moon growing up and enjoyed it a lot, but when somebody told me about Stardew Valley my mind was just blown. This is why I decided to make a Stardew Valley demake that i could have played growing up.

Cart #picovalley-2 | 2023-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update:18.11.23
I hate reading old code. Well at least I can be sure I got better since April :D Let's go.

• added the ability to play the brilliant Journey Of The Prairie King Demake which was quite the undertaking. A lot of things needed to work together in order to return the player to the original game with all of the progress saved. Read more about it on the Journey Of The Prairie King page.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #larshardgame-2 | 2023-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

A slow but token-efficient sort:

-- 35-token bubblesort, by pancelor
function sort(arr)
  for i=1,#arr do
    for j=i,#arr do
      if arr[j] < arr[i] then
        add(arr,deli(arr,j),i) --slow swap
      end
    end
  end
end

I did a brief speed analysis and this function seems reasonable to use for arrays up to around 50 or 100 elements, depending on how much CPU you have available to burn.

speed analysis:
[hidden]
I did some minimal testing, using this code:

cls()
function _draw()
arr={
--20,5,8,3,7,4,1,9,2,-30,
20,5,8,3,7,4,1,9,2,-30,
}
sort(arr)
end

By commenting out lines of the array, I changed it's length. Here's how much CPU the function spent, as a percentage of a single 30fps frame (measured with the ctrl-p monitor, on pico8 0.2.5g)

The "best case cpu" was calculated by defining arr outside of _draw, so that the array was already sorted after the first frame

Array length Typical cpu (30fps) Best case cpu (30fps)
10 0% 0%
20 1% 1%
50 5% 4%
100 21% 15%
200 81% 58%
300 181% 130%
400 321% 231%

I believe this algorithm is O(n^3): O(n^2) for the two loops, and an additional O(n) b/c the swap step uses add and deli, which shift around the array elements. But the chart seems to indicate that doubling the length will quadruple the cpu cost (instead of octupling it) so maybe it's only O(n^2) somehow? It doesn't much matter, since you don't want to use this for large arrays anyway, but maybe add/deli are cheaper than I would expect.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #citizen608_neonsaucer_v095-3 | 2023-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello world!

I'd like to share my first game and first post here with the Pico 8 community. Neon Saucer is a vertically scrolling endless runner where you pilot a color-switching UFO up through Neon City. Match your color with gems to collect them, match your color with enemies to smash them. As you get higher, your ship goes faster, and you'll need to deal with trickier enemies and obstacles.

In short: Move fast and break stuff.

Postgame scoring is tracked for total height, total gems, successful enemy hits, and best banked combo. A combo of consecutive enemy smashes builds beneath your ship. The bottom of the screen shows the combo timer which is refilled with each successful enemy hit or gem pickup. A combo is lost if you hit a non-matching gem or the sides of the screen. A combo is completed once the timer runs out, or the player slows down. Completed combos award bonus gems for the amount of the combo, plus additional bonuses for every 10.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #theskyisonfire-0 | 2023-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

oh yeah, im cool.

1 comment

no matter what you tell me, i am using a cart to play songs

Cart #iminheaven-0 | 2023-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

When you move the mouse cursor in the Sprite Editor the status bar at the bottom shows the X and Y coordinate in the spritesheet. It would be a help if this also showed the Width and Height of a selection if you have something selected. I often want to measure the size of things in the sprite sheet and the selection tool is usually the way to do it in other programs.

6 comments

Cart #imonawallyay-0 | 2023-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #tinyfarm2-64 | 2023-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

tiny farm has an itch now if you want the exe:)
https://lumpycamel123.itch.io/tiny-farm

for my final game in the lumpy games tiny games pack i made a little farming simulator. i would consider it to be pretty feature extensive as you can farm ranch fish and mine your way through my tiny little world.
also it has fully featured co-op
how to play--

you can open the shop by pressing x on the froggys(frobert and frebeca) to buy seeds, sell crops, buy animals, sell goods, turn bars into ore, buy harvest multipliers, and buy tool upgrades by switching menus with the right and left buttons with after pressing on a froggy, it doesnt matter which you press on. to tend to your crops you have to till and water the ground to plant seeds then water them each day for them to grow. when theyre grown you can harvest and sell them to frebeca. when you have animals theyll start out as babies and you have to feed them for 2 days until you can start to get artisan goods from them when you feed them. fishing is always available for some quick cash in case you need a bit more money to fill up your crop space or something. when you have 4 iron or gold ore from mining the rocks on the bottom of the screen you can combine them with some money in the second to last shop menu to get bars and upgrade your tools on the next menu. you can also sell them if you want or if your tools are maxed out. on the menu where you get bars you can also spend 500$ to upgrade your multipliers on crop, animal, fish, and mining output. i was thinking 1000$ might be better so let me know. i hope you have fun:)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

Cart #tinyracer-0 | 2023-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

here for game 2 in the lumpy tiny games pack we have a little f1 simulation i made for my wife because shes really into racing and i think its cute tbh. you can change your cars color by pressing x/o and you control it with the arrow keys. thats all there is to it really its just a tiny little game with 8 tracks i drew based on real life f1 tracks. i thought it was really fun so i hope you enjoy:)

4 comments

Cart #tinyballs-7 | 2023-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

now with an itch page for the exe
https://lumpycamel123.itch.io/tiny-balls-space-pool

patch 1.1 - added endless modes for ultimate, pool, co-op ultimate, and co-op pool! when you have less than 8 balls left 8 more will spawn leaving you with the original 15 and also it swaps between the team colors for prettiness:)

patch 1.2 - ball trails added as well as the balls wrap around the screen now to make the last parts of time modes less boring/frustrating. you can also swap to the pico 8 second palette if you press o on the main menu too:)

ive finished the full version of my first game spaceballs, going with the theme of my lumpy tiny game pack i want
to call it tiny balls lol. in this version theres 2 new vs modes where you can play a classic turn based
version of pool with a friend or space hockey! it still has the original ultimate, space pool and co op modes but i just wanted to squeeze more into it until i reached the token limit. i thought it was a lot of fun so i hope you enjoy:)

patch 1.3 - tweaked particles and physics to make things less chaotic and more enjoyable

final version 1.4 - you can toggle wall collision in real time in the pause menu:)

1 comment

Cart #hersheys_train_line-0 | 2023-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Press 'Z' or 'X' to toggle the mouse cursor when playing on a desktop.

Hershey's Train Line is a present for my son, Hershel, for his 3rd birthday. Draw a path around the obstacles to get the train from one side of the screen to the other!

At any intersection, the train always follows a straight path when possible. When faced with a T intersection, the train always turns left.

If you've got any young people in your family that are as into trains as my son is, I hope this makes them smile!

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->