BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #ruwezumuwu-0 | 2022-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi Zep! :) I think I found a bug in one of the more esoteric stat calls?

Bug:
According to the manual, stat(56) should return the number of ticks played in the current pattern. Currently (0.2.5e), it seems to poll the leftmost sfx in the pattern for the count. That makes sense bc the overall pattern length is determined by the leftmost sfx which is not a loop, but as the title says, stat(56) will reset back to 0 early if the leftmost sfx is a loop.

Expected behavior:
stat(56) should return the number of pattern ticks played regardless of looped sfx

Thanks for your time! :)

7 comments

Cart #demonsmashv2-0 | 2023-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

❎ to smash
⬅️➡️⬆️⬇️ to move

Set-up

An ancient evil threatens the island nation of Japan. The League of Ninjas has pin-pointed the orgin. A small set of Southern islands, but how do you seal a great evil from crawling out beneath the earth? YOU NAIL THE EARTH DOWN!!!

Smash all of the stakes down through four rounds to seal the evil away, and achieve victory over said evil. BUT, be careful. Demons will try to prevent you from getting to this most holy goal.

Behind The Scenes

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #santa_elf_workout-1 | 2022-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny game made for the Twelve Days of PICO-8 Christmas 2022 event!
Built from Freezing Knights' battle engine.

Music from pico-8 tunes vol. 1 & 2 by @gruber_music / @krajzek:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29008
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=33675

3 comments

Run export game.bin -i 1 (with a sprite in slot 1) while the editor is using a custom palette with the palette persist flag poke(0x5f2e,1)

The resulting executables will have icons using the default palette instead of the custom one the editors are currently using:

Source sprite:

(This also causes the command line to use the default palette temporarily while the command runs)

2 comments

Cart #newcompress-4 | 2022-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v04 12-18-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #newcompress

Hello.

I have need of a data compressor for the 2023 project I'm working on now so I wrote one. And it's better than a 6-bit or 7-bit because once again, this is an 8-bit compressor.

Now this is different from the picture compressor I wrote which you can find HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45335

That compressor is looking for Pico-8 pixels specifically.

No, THIS compressor is looking for raw data. While I am demonstrating it with pictures it is in fact geared for byte data, maps, PCM sound, and what have you.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Hello.

I would like to suggest, @zep, please, that you add the cursor's X-location to the editor.

There is some screen real estate not being used HERE:

This would help me as I'm now working on some data tables of different lengths across.

Additionally a way of getting the true length of a string before converting it to untypables.

For instance:

a="\48\0"
?#a
?truelen(a)

Is there room for a 3rd request ?

The other is more technical. I'd like this:

\07 to convert to chr(0).."7" instead of chr(7).

For instance if you want chr(0) and chr(7) it would be: \0\7 or \0⁷
or chr(7) by itself would be, \7 or

\00543 would convert to chr(0).."0543" instead of "63"

Quite simply do not allow a prefix zero to be included in a numerical argument "\" for P8SCII or lower ASCII commands. A "\0" always denotes chr(0). This is only true for CHR(0), no other, "\111" for instance does not give chr(1)..chr(1)..chr(1), it gives "O" (letter oh).

Naturally normal \ without a prefix of zero is fine.

\48 = "0"
\64 = "@"
\13 = chr(13) or \r
etc.

But once again something like, \013 would not return a CR but chr(0).."13"

0 comments

MIGHT CAUSE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES
The speed of this animation can be altered by changing the value contents inside the sine are multiplied by.

Cart #nicedemoeffect-0 | 2022-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I'm trying to run pico-8 on an older raspi (model b rev 1). Tried on fresh installs of both buster and bullseye, but i used lite versions because this raspi is very old and wouldn't run a desktop environment very well. The problem is: I execute the program, but it doesn't show video, even though I can hear the boot chirp of pico-8. Do I need something else to run pico-8 from text mode on a raspi without a desktop environment.

13 comments

Cart #fteppu-2 | 2022-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

[CURSOR KEYS]: Navigate menu and puzzle grid
[X,M,V]: Confirm / Activate row/column
[Z,N,C]: Preview puzzle

About the game

Get in Santa’s Pants 3 won’t be ready this year, so I made a return to Pico-8 to make the dreaded spin-off puzzle game! Solve puzzles to unlock new artwork of everybody’s favourite blue-haired elf [citation needed].

The game contains suggestive themes and imagery.

9 comments

Cart #pugurafabi-0 | 2022-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A lil game made under 6 hours to learn PICO-8.
It was made for a school jam, with the theme "Stuck in a loop".

No title screen, no explanations, no end. This is the prototype of all time.

0 comments

Cart #zowwogisi-0 | 2022-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I found out that Open AI's ChatGPT understands programming, including Pico 8 LUA. I had it create something simple, a pong game. I did create the sound effects, but 99.9% of the code was created by ChatGPT. I found the best way to get it to add more code without timing out is to just request it to create code snippets for _draw() and or _update()

Code:

p1_y = 36
p2_y = 36
ball_x = 64
ball_y = 36
ball_vx = 1
ball_vy = 1
p1_score = 0
p2_score = 0
game_state = "start"

function _update()
 if game_state == "start" and (btn(4) or btn(5)) then
    game_state = "play"
    p1_score = 0
    p2_score = 0

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=122634#p)
2 comments

Updated: Improved controls, can no longer directly reverse in to yourself, thanks to @dw817 for the suggestion!

Cart #acid_snek-1 | 2022-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Very simple snake clone

3 comments

Cart #puffycoats-2 | 2022-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You were so excited to try your brand new skates on Christmas day that you skated out to the middle of the lake without checking the ice conditions. Now you are on thin ice and just want to get back to your friend on the shore.

Game Play

Control your skates with the left and right buttons. Alternate left and right to speed up. Hold to turn. You haven't exactly learned to stop yet, but if you start turning circles, you will eventually slow down. You can walk on the snow, but it is very slow.

Credits:

Music composed by Vince Guaraldi
Christmas Time Is Here arranged by @Gruber
3d effects: @Mot's Instant 3d Plus Library

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #swarmed-0 | 2022-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Swarmed

Will you defeat the Swarmlord?

Controls

• Arrows – Move ship
  • X – Fire blasters
  • Z – Fire special weapon

Credits

GIFs

Change log

• Improved hit feedback on the Swarmlord.
  • Added wings to the Swarmlord.
  • Updated title screen with Swarmlord animation and other minor tweaks.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #codemorse-0 | 2022-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

It seems to me that some of the latest versions you have of Pico-8 are in fact breaking existing previously working Pico-8 carts.

May I suggest that the cart be read, especially the 2nd line down:

pico-8 cartridge // http://www.pico-8.com
version 37

Which denotes the version and online and in Splore at least, run THAT particular version of Pico-8 so all previously existing carts will run correctly ?

Then we can sift through the newest versions of Pico-8, carefully, and deal with whatever problems they are causing - without affecting previously running perfect code.

Also to add a new command to Pico-8, ver which will state the version # you are currently running. The latest if you are running the EXE, or a different version entirely if you load it from # or splore or it is online.

Also to bring back info() so it can be used in code. Currently it is ignored yet in previous versions it works properly. I used that in my Mildew Manor game to show system specs at the start.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #averys_angling_adventure-11 | 2022-12-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Avery's Angling Adventure

A bizarre PikPok™ trend has taken the world by storm, and kids everywhere are asking Santa to bring them... fish?! Santa has chosen YOU to track down every fish on the list, from the North-Pole-Adjacent Wilderness Area and beyond.

Talk to people and read informational signs to discover the key combinations required to land a variety of fish. Tire a fish out and enter the magic combination to catch it! Keep trying combinations until you figure out what kind of fish you have on the line.

Revisit the marble-obsessed town of Townton. Explore a coal mine and catch creatures from the deep. Visit the moonlit seaside of Cheddar Beach. Talk to everyone, catch everything, and become the best fisherperson in the world.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hi. Is there any way of getting the token count of a pico8 cart externally, such as
from the linux command line?

There does not even seem to be any way to access the token count from within a Pico8 cart either, only by
manually typing info(). I have read all the docs and looked at stat() and raw memory addresses but none
can give the token count statistic.

I would like to get the token count so I can put it on a fancy display.

Thanks

2 comments

Cart #pijifekubu-0 | 2022-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I asked ChatGPT to generate a raycasting engine for Pico-8 and this is what it gave me. Though I added movement and fixed the math functions as it was using the lua standard math library.

4 comments

Cart #freezing_knights-9 | 2023-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Freezing Knights

A light co-op turn-based RPG

Take control of two knights and try to reach the end of the perilous snowy mountain paths​ by avoiding enemy attacks and powering-up your characters.

Features

● Single-player and two-player modes
● 14 music tracks by @ohhcurtains
● 30 enemy encounters
● 11 unique enemies (+1 ???)
● Customizable character builds
● Multiple paths
● Optional hard mode
● 🐔🐔🐔

Controls

Keyboard

[ Continue Reading.. ]