BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I have completed my first ever PICO-8 game for the Ludum Dare 51 game jam!

The theme was 'Every 10 Seconds'. Our game is about a cat with 9 lives who must survive different obstacles for 10 seconds.

Cart #ld10seconds9lives-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

The trouble with the General Midi 1 standard is that it doesn't include any explanation of what any of the names mean, so I had to spend multiple seconds of research on going to the GM-1 Wikipedia page and scrolling down to the best guess of the editors there. Apparently, by "SynthStrings", they probably mean a string synthesizer, or string synth, an electronic instrument originally intended as a relatively cheap and portable substitute for a strings section, but which people later started to use as an instrument in its own sake.

So, that's what I tried to imitate. And since GM-1 has two SynthStrings program numbers and says nothing about how they should differ, I just tried to follow what GeneralUser GS seemed to do and make the second version a little brighter in timbre.

Here's 050 SynthStrings 1:
[sfx]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #robooletjaut-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi!
For posterity's sake i'm uploading my previous creations onto here.
This was created for GMTK Jam 2022: "Roll of the dice"

...So basically it's yahtzee with items.
Happy Jauting!

0 comments

Cart #stripper-1 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v01 10-03-22)

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #stripper

Hello.

In lieu of this post:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=49612

I have since written a utility to remove all extraneous spaces in your source-code.

NOTE: This program works online as well as offline.

To use it, either run it and read the directions or press a key to continue.

From there press ALT-TAB to choose the Windows task that has the Pico-8 code you want to fix.

Press CTRL+A and CTRL+C to highlight and copy it all to the clipboard.

Press CTRL+V back in my program.

It will be pasted and examined. Any leading spaces on your code will be tallied and truncated.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #robooletld51-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi folks!
I've been using PICO-8 for a little bit now, but i never got around to making an account and posting my stuff here

Anyways, i made this little survival platformer for the ld51 compo, theme: "Every 10 seconds"
Hope you enjoy!

3 comments

Cart #sheeple-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Ludum Dare 51.

About

Join the flock!
Thoughts are invading your mind. What are these carvings? Did I make them or have they always been there? Nevermind, the sun is bright. Best to enjoy the day with your sheep mates…

Keep em guessing
Sheep curling might become a thing!

Limits & Theme

Plan was to add 10 second requirement to keep the dark lord at bay. It did not happen. At least the theme contributed in making up the premise for the game. Became a pretty short “experience“, but it worked quite nice with the short time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #dojoyuduwi-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is another problem I run into, @zep.
Examine the code. It's empty, right ?

But no, if you load it up and check info() you will see that it takes 736-characters in space.

So what is going on here ?

Clearly Pico-8 is not truncating spaces. And how many times have you run into this ?

variable=value

A line in your code and you go up to change it when you realize you have 2- or more spaces are at the end of the line. Naturally you backspace over them, but this can be tedious if you have done this in other parts of your code - and it DOES count against your 65535-character total.

May I suggest future Pico-8 automatically truncate empty spaces on the end of code when loaded, when saved, when edited, when typed, and when the cursor matches its vertical position. Also check and truncate prior to the programmer pressing the ENTER key for a new line.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I am trying to get this to work, and reading the P8SCII codes, it should work.

Unfortunately it does not.

cls(1)
print("\^!6000\*8192\0")
print("")

This should clear the screen to blank. Instead it misinterprets and only displays a few pixels at the top.

This method would be useful for instance to poke directly to memory while having the ability of repeating numbers in succession without having to type them all manually.

16 comments

Cart #dragonblast-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my version of CherryBomb!

Thanks to my son #2 for additional graphics and playtesting.

Based on lazy devs academy's shmuptut.
https://itch.io/jam/basic-shmup

Thanks a lot!:)

Unfortunately finished too late. But better late than never :)

Have fun!:)

4 comments

Hi! a little bit about me. I'm a software engineer turned game developer and I've discovered my love for working under retro limitations. I found pico-8 because I don't have the hardware needed to develop for actual retro consoles yet(will get some in the future) and I only have a 10 y/o workstation with linux loaded on.

as I'm new to pico-8 and frankly, game development as a whole, where would the best place be to ask for help?

most of the things I will ask for help with will probably seem obvious to most people, but seeing as I haven't had a need to use any sort of math except for comparing numbers while developing desktop apps, It's fairly new to me.

that being said, I'm working on a platformer at the moment with a friend, and specifically after adding map collision(using the dx/dy method) and adding gravity, I can't figure out how to jump. below is a cart file if anyone can help me. thanks in advance!

-bella

Cart #platform-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #boat_zeta_0-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BOAT ZETA!

This is a little remake of Yahtzee I made a while ago, it was a little janky and broken but I decided to fix it up and post it. not much but it works!

If you notice any bugs or have any advice, I encourage you to tell me!

0 comments

Cart #fezesiroyo-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my game made for the ludum dare 51: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/51/swapply
It's another simple one button game where the controlled character change every 10 seconds.
Hopefully I'll update this to fix the bugs and the level design and are more features :-)

5 comments

Cart #jsybrandt_pong-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple little proof of concept to help me put together a series of library files, which are intended to make pico8 development a little easier.

In the meantime, I attempted to juice pong a little with some minor animations and particle effects.

0 comments

first of all, I'd like to say thank you to the MIDILib team for making some of these instruments

hi... uhh... basically I'm working on a JTS (Journey to Silius) remake
will be updated with tracks added as time goes on
so uhh... enjoy what's here at the moment

(Oct. 7, 2022) I'm done with all the stage themes

(Oct. 8, 2022) All that's left is the ending, which I'm planning on doing something special with

Cart #jtsdxsoundtrack-5 | 2022-10-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #matryoshka-0 | 2022-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Little thing for CCAWJAM 6.

4 comments

Cart #meterstoshade-0 | 2022-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

100 Meters to Shade

Ludum Dare link: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/51/1000-meters-to-shade

My entry to LD51, where the theme is "Every 10 Seconds." Use the arrow keys to navigate 1000 meters to the right, towards shade. When a solar flare is coming, hide in the shade of a cactus.

Thanks for playing!

12 comments

Another simple one, although there's some pretty aggressive ... can you even call it tremolo if it's this slow? In imitation of the VCSL sample I was using as inspiration. Makes for an interesting effect, which I think fits the folk-instrument vibes.

[sfx]

1 comment

Cart #runeyekopu-0 | 2022-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

So maybe this is old news to everybody but me but I just discovered it by accident. Turns out you can define local functions! It makes sense but it somehow never occurred to me to try before.

Here's a quick example:

do
   local function a()
      print('in a')
   end

function b()
      print('in b: calling a')
      a()
   end

print('in local scope')
   print(a)
   print(b)
   a()
   b()
   print('leaving local scope\n\n')
end

print('in global scope')
print(a)
print(b)
b()

Output:

in local scope
[function]
[function]
in a
in b: calling a
in a
leaving local scope

in global scope
[nil]
[function]
in b: calling a
in a

That's it. Just thought it was interesting.

5 comments

Cart #eduszeszgames-1 | 2022-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a cart that lists the games I have made so far. I put this together to learn the basics of multicart in pico-8

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->