BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This is a little tool to convert a big ol' list of strings into the PICO-8 map.
This has some very specific usage cases, and there's probably a better way somehow, but heres an example of when you might use it:

Imagine you are making a big parkour game, with lots of fairly big levels. You can't possibly hold all of them in the PICO-8's map together. So you use this tool to load in a new map on demand.

In this case, you may want to use this.

Here's the cart:

Cart #jodepunawi-0 | 2022-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

controls:
arrow keys to move camera position
X/C etc to change to map 2

4 comments

Cart #asteroids2-1 | 2022-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Attention!

Pilots needed urgently!

The star Mimiar imploded, and shattered a dwarf planet that was orbiting it.
Ginormous asteroids are now hurtling towards Thrawn, the home of millions of unsuspecting people.
We must destroy the asteroids before it is too late!

Buttons

X – Use power up.
Z – Build energy, release to fire.
Arrow keys – Movement.

How to play

Steer your ship across the screen, making sure to dodge the asteroids. Tap Z to fire a small bullet or
press and hold to build up energy. Collect the power ups that float across the screen, because they can
be very helpful. Press X to use them.
Your ship's energy meter is displayed in the top left corner. (Bottom

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #galaxis-4 | 2022-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

GALAXIS

A simple shmup reminiscent of the arcade era.

Galaxis was made using the Lazy Devs Shmup Tutorial on YouTube

Galaxis is also being submitted to the Lazy Devs Basic Shmup Jam on itch.io. Please check out all the other awesome submissions! Downloadable versions of many of the submissions are available over there.

Who the ♥♥♥♥ is ALF?

Controls

D-Pad [arrow keys] to move
O Button [z/c/n] to fire guns
X Button [x/v/m] to fire missiles

In the Menu screen:

• Fly to the top of the screen to start the game
  • Fly to the left to see the credits
  • Fly to the right to see the highscores

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #yemirutfa-0 | 2022-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello, I'm looking for a way to draw 100 sprites on the screen at the same time. All sprites will have different coordinates. I don't want to write 100 times spr(), so I"m looking for another way. I wanted to use a loop, but from what I've noticed so far, the pico 8 has performance issues after that. Does anyone have any idea what to do with it?

6 comments

Playing terra on the bus, I discovered there's no apparent way to copy something on bbs in the mobile. It would be very cool if maybe we had a button to copy the message put on the copy area. It can help to save your progress and etc. The inverse is also a needed thing, pasting into the game.

0 comments

Cart #spinningcube3d-0 | 2022-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a 3D Spinning Cube

2 comments

Cart #scramble_scramble-7 | 2022-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Scramble, Scramble!!

The Gear Empire has invaded your star system. Pilot the Blue Raptor to defeat 15 waves of enemies by shooting them down with bullets or by crushing them with your Iron Egg!

This game is a shoot-em-up with a breakout/"Arkanoid" twist!

Controls:

• Arrow Keys to move
  • Press X to shoot bullets
  • Release X to reload bullets
  • Press Z to throw the Iron Egg

Tips:

• Shoot the Iron Egg with bullets to make the Egg bounce back up and destroy your enemies!
  • The Iron Egg will bounce off the player ship!
  • The "Heart" shape in the center of the Iron Egg will tell you what diagonal direction the egg is moving

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #orange_shmup-6 | 2022-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all!
This was created following the LazyDevs Shmup tutorial that you can find at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLea8cjCua_P3Sfq4XJqNVbd1vsWnh7LZd

The Orange planet has been invaded by huge insects and you must fight back!

The fate of our land depends on you...

Blue bullets can be cancelled by destroying the enemies, don't shoot to activate the vacuum cleaner and get more points!

Graze the bullets to increase the score multiplier and get an incredible amount of points!!!
Over 9000!

It's like a bullet hell!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #physballv01-0 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first bare-bones game engine. There are a lot of directions I could take with this, but I think a speed running focused game would work best. I am open to any/all feedback!

1 comment

Hello.

The other day I was working in a very primitive language that did not have random numbers but could move an object - randomly.

Determined it could be done I wrote a routine that has an object start at the left of the screen.
Above that is a wall all the way across, below is blank, then another wall all the way across.

Looking a little like this:

[40x32]

The purple above is the top solid line, the pink below is the bottom solid line, the dots are transparent, and the triangle facing to the right is our object.

OK so for me to build a random number generator, let's say I wanted it a number from 0-31, so there would be 31-horizontal wall tiles, above and below, the arrow.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hello.

As I continue to work on my Pico-8 code I am now becoming painfully aware that there is no Breeze ability in Pico-8 if you code conventionally.

Let me explain.

In many programming languages I have written in to them functions to handle the breeze variable.

In it, if it is zero or undefined, nothing happens.

However, if it is >0 then a check is made to see if that key is being held. If it is then the program will run as fast as possible.

In Pico-8 I have it so if you hold down ❎ then the program will breeze on through the rest until breeze=0 is set.

To create breeze I wrote THIS function in place of flip().

function flp()
  if btn(breeze-1)==false then
    flip()
  end
end

Where breeze equals the value to check for the following. LEFT=1, RIGHT=2, UP=3, DOWN=4, 🅾️=5, and ❎=6

In this if you have a long set of instructions or logo or what have you, you can hold or tap the ❎ key and it will breeze right on through them at maximum speed.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #picoworld-0 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[Itch.io]

Hi everyone! I'd like to share my very first PICO-8 game, Picoworld! It's a cart for
simulating artificial life (ALife)! Spawn different particles, define their interaction rules, and
see them come to life! It's a good environment for observing emergent phenomenon and play around
with some simple ALife rules.

You can check out more detailed instructions in the itch.io page.
If you discovered interesting patterns, feel free to comment and attach a GIF below.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #picopuyotetris-11 | 2022-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello! This is my first pico8 game. You can play a vs tetris game, a vs puyo puyo game, or a vs swap game (changing the game every 30 seconds)!

Both games are implemented close to their respective standards (Tetris guideline and Puyo Puyo Tsuu rules). The swap garbage is a 1 line-to-4 nuisance puyos conversion.

Desired future features:

• mini-display between the boards in swap mode, showing your other game board
  • swap combos (piece in other game continues to fall while you play, if it completes a line/set, it does so and starts a buffed combo on your current game)
  • better sound effects
  • music
2 comments

Cart #froggo1k-1 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was the first time I participated in a Pico-8 1K jam. This Frogger clone has some neat palette swaps and an ever increasing difficulty. How far can you get in as few deaths as possible?

4 comments

Cart #ascent-0 | 2022-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Ascent

Crashed on a desolate but mysterious planet you find yourself eye to eye with an ancient civilisation. Explore the planet, find powerful upgrades, and uncover its secrets.

CONTROLS

• move ⬅️➡️
  • jump ⓩ
  • climb ladders ⬆️⬇️
  • special moves ❎ / ⓩ

CREDITS
Created during LowResJam 2022
Design/Art/Code: Johan Peitz (@johanpeitz)
Music/Sound: Vav ( @vavmusicmagic)

64 comments

Cart #piconapoleon-1 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An early proof of concept for an Total War-like RTS in Pico8.

Controls (Global map):
Left and right arrow - choose territory.
Up and down arrow - choose type of troop to buy.
X - buy troop.
Z - attack territory.

Controls (Battlefield)
Arrow keys - move troop.
Z - choose next troop.

Different types of terrain provide different bonuses:

• Units in Forests can't be shot at.
  • Units in Mountains shoot farther.
  • Units in Swamps are slowed down.
  • Units on Roads move faster.
2 comments

Cart #witchcrafttd-6 | 2022-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Z / Left Mouse Click - summon tower
Hold X / Right Mouse Click - sell tower

The game is released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2152410/WitchCraft_TD/
Steam version has achievements, new enemies, balance changes, small interface updates, music update.

Tileless main image is implemented with this snippet by @spellcaster https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38884

51 comments

Cart #solar_guardian_ai-4 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Work-in-Progress game for the Basic Shmup Showcase.

Controls:

• ARROW KEYS to move
  • Z to fire bullets
  • X to fire s.weapon
0 comments

I want to import my MIDI file into Pico-8,

and there will be a little error with using Denote or Midi2pico.

So I want to try import each tracks separately.

But I encountered a problem.

If I directly paste music data, it always pastes to the track 1, and covering the track previously posted.

and, I don't know how to move the music of track1 to track2.

Like this.

Is there a way to move all the music of track1 to track2 ?

I had used text editor to open .p8 file.

But I can't understand number rule.

4 comments

I am working on a little shooter where players can move up and down a fixed track, and can aim a cannon to shoot a projectile at an angle. Ideally, this angle can run parallel to the track, but shouldn't intersect it.

I thought I had the math down, but I am running into an issue where the players' projectiles are able to intersect the track. It appears that, even though I constrain the angles that player cannons can point and fire, players seem to be able to extend and shoot a tiny bit beyond it. Strangely, a simple debug test that prints the angles indicates that they should be parallel to the track in these situations.

Angle constraint formulas:

--player 1 is on the left side, and aims right
	if p1.a<270 and p1.a>100 then
	 p1.a=270
	end
	if p1.a>90 and p1.a<270 then
	 p1.a=90
	end
--player 2 is on the right side, and aims left
	if p2.a<90 then
	 p2.a=90
	end
	if p2.a>270 then

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=116799#p)
4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->