BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #yfzijodo-0 | 2022-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a simple first game I created in order to get used to the engine and get back into the swing of LUA.
Any feedback is of course welcome, but I don't think I'll touch it much after this!

3 comments

Cart #picopatch-2 | 2022-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-Patch is an 2OP instrument and music sequence creator for PICO-8, developed by MegaSparky as a spiritual successor to his independently released tool 4OP-8. It allows users to create instruments by mixing two sine wave operators in different ways and create melodies with them.

Controls:

All actions are controlled with the mouse cursor/touchscreen, except for playing notes. To trigger a note outside of play mode, press (o) - z on the keyboard - and use the d-pad/arrow keys to change the note that you play; left and right changes it to the previous and following one respectively, while up and down switch octaves.

Creating instruments:

PICO-Patch features four types of sound synthesis: phase modulation (PM), amplitude modulation (AM), ring modulation and additive. The "ADSR" parameters allow you to modify each operator's attack, decay, sustain and release respectively. The "V" meter controls the operator's global volume, and the "M" parameter defines the multiplication of its frequency.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #hopigumoku-0 | 2022-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

press x to randomize colors ^-^

thanks to pixienop's webpage on tweetcarts for the sin usage tips used on this program!

https://demobasics.pixienop.net/tweetcarts/basics

1 comment

i'm not managing to get the music player to play music, and all the controls also seem to be doing nothing. see this post for an example:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=43733

i also checked with more recent posts that use the music player. i tried both latest firefox and chromium on linux mint 20.3. i don't have the tab muted, and other applications as well as other sites and the cart player still play sound

16 comments

Yay!

Version 0.2.5 released!

Thanks Zep!:-)

0 comments

Cart #eyeofyox-2 | 2024-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Eye Of Yox

About

A short wave-based shmup made following the Lazy Devs Basic Shmup Showcase.
Survive the waves of aliens and defeat the mighty Eye of Yox !

How to play

• Arrow keys to move
  • Tap X to shoot
  • Hold and release X for a powerful charged shot
  • Collect pickups from enemies (score, extra life, defensive shield)
  • Survive the waves of aliens until the final boss

Features

• 9 waves + 1 boss
  • 4 different alien types + "elite" variants

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #bunny_trap-0 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made this as a birthday gift for my wife.
I hope she enjoys playing it on her new retro device.

Instructions:

The goal is to save all the bunnies from the wolf/fox

1. collecting all coins will automatically purchase & place the burrow
  2. collect all the keys to unlock the burrow
  3. direct the bunnies safely into their new home.
3 comments

Hello!

I have just started working on a little metroidvania-style platformer. I started by following the platformer tutorial on [youtube]Youtube[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6c6DvGK4lg&list=PLyhkEEoUjSQtUiSOu-N4BIrHBFtLNjkyE] and looking at some carts here.

I want to have different rooms connected by doors, which I have all drawn in the map editor. But apparently I don't understand how the map() function works.

I have one rooms that stretches from the map cells x000/y000 to x063/y015 and another smaller one below that from x000/y016 to x026/y022. I have a simple camera function like this:

function update_cam(m_start, m_end)
  cam_x=plr.x-64+(plr.w/2)
  cam_y=plr.y-64+(plr.w/2)
    if cam_x<m_start then
      cam_x=m_start
    end
    if cam_x>m_end-128 then
      cam_x=m_end-128
    end
  camera(cam_x,cam_y)
end

I have collision checks done like this:

function collide_map(obj,aim,flag)
  -- obj = table needs x,y,w,h

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=116420#p)
3 comments

Cart #hack_match-0 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An HACK*MATCH demake

HACK*MATCH is a series of puzzle games by Zachtronics in the vein of the Magical Drop series of arcade games.
Its first appearance was as a mini-game in EXAPUNKS, then it came back as a standalone game on the NES and its last appearance was in Last Call BBS as a emulated arcade game.

The arcade version from Last Call BBS was quite addictive and I wanted to make a demake to play it on-the-go.

How to play :

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hi, I think the tittle is self explanatory. I always had to fight against that lua lack. I came from c, so I am very accustomed to use the inline conditions. And it can be very useful for shrink code, like with tweetcarts. I know, there are some approaches in lua to solve this, but an official and explicit way would be very good.

14 comments

Cart #starbase_dmorris_v3-0 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Completed this game as part of the LazyDevs Basic Shmup Showcase Game Jam. I was going for a bit of a Star Wars-y vibe, though I was also influenced by the shooter I grew up with as a kid, Star Solider on the NES.

The soundtrack was inspired by a chord progression used in a lot of Japanese pop and Anime theme songs, with just a pinch of Duck Tales Moon Theme in the mix.

First edit: commented out the code that clears the high score every playthrough. Oops.

Second edit: V2 with powerups that bounce off the sides/top.

Third edit: V3 with levels that persist until all powerups are collected or exit the screen. Adds difficulty settings and logic that ties percentage chance of getting shields vs laser upgrade to the current % shields remaining.

11 comments

Cart #gauntlet-0 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I just recently watched Stargate again and I like the song from the last episode.
Feel the infinite unknown space. Let's hope for a new Stargate series.

1 comment

Hello.

Now that we can access strings a little easier I am coming across a problem I did not have in GFA or QBASIC.

For instance is there a way to have a function change an argument in return ?

function addadd(static a)
  a=a.."+"
end

cls()
a="hello"
addadd(a)
print(a)

Result would be: hello+

13 comments

Hey All!

PICO-8 0.2.5 is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP and web (Education Edition).

Edit: 0.2.5b is now up for Linux users who had trouble connecting to the BBS: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=116441#p

Built-in Help

PICO-8 0.2.5 has built-in documentation on API functions and other topics. Type "HELP" at the prompt to see a list of topics in blue, and then e.g. "HELP GFX" to get more information about that thing.

While in the code editor, you can also press CTRL-U to get help on whatever is under the cursor, including operators and Lua keywords.

> HELP FILLP

String Indexing

Single characters can now be grabbed from strings using a familiar str[i] style syntax that means something similar to sub(str, i, i). The index is rounded down to the closest integer, and can be negative to index from the end of the string.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

41 comments

https://www.lexaloffle.com/dl/docs/pico-8_manual.html#SSPR

Where it says...

"Stretch an rectangle of the sprite sheet (sx, sy, sw, sh) to a destination rectangle on the screen (sx, sy, dw, dh)."

...it should say "(dx, dy, dw, dh)" instead.

Although if you read the paragraph fast enough your brain probably autocorrects it, heh.

0 comments

Cart #knutil_ttable-2 | 2023-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Feature Overview

TTABLE() returns the table if the argument is a table.

• Returns FALSE if not a table.
  • Use when table or string determination is required.
    • e.g., when using a string for initialization and replacing it with a table
    • Simultaneously check the type and reference the contents inline, as in type(tbl)=='table' and tbl.
  • This function consumes 10 Token.
tbl = '1 5 10' -- Default value.

tbl = ttable(tbl) or split(tbl, ' ') -- tbl = {1, 5, 10}

----
----

-- Thereafter, the tbl is not initialized even if there are changes to the elements of the tbl.
tbl = ttable(tbl) or split(tbl, ' ')

This function is included in the KNUTIL library.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #trumpetfight-1 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is the first thing i've made with p8 that can be called a "game". it's awful

UPDATE: now with motion borders and an actual difficulty curve! doug's AI is still a 50/50 drunk-walk though but idk maybe thats kinda hilarious? or my sense of humor is entirely broken, which is also a possibility.

2 comments

Cart #nahuyozego-0 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Simple animation that just uses math instead of sprites.
Quite self-explanatory

Preview

Credits

Pico Tween for the blinking animation.

2 comments

Cart #sunescapesme-2 | 2022-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Use the arrow keys for your movement.

Press the X key to fire energy weapons.

Press Z to start the game.

What is?

An "OMG THE SUN IS PISSED AND YOU NEED TO ESCAPE"... game.

For some reason the SUN is really PISSED. You better be pushing your engines to the limit to escape! The gravity well of the SUN is slowly increasing over time. The gravity meter is seen along the bottom of the screen.

Asteroids knock you back and nebulas seize up your engine for a brief time.

You can use energy weapons to blow up asteroids before they hit you but if your weapons hit a nebula, they'll bounce back at you! Maybe you can use that to your advantage somehow?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

(v00 08-27-22)

Cart #full_input_reader-2 | 2022-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #full_input_reader .

Long overdue isn't it ?

A thorough program to not just read a single joystick but all 4-of them. The regular keyboard. Shift keys. Ctrl-keys. The mouse, all 3-buttons. And even the mighty mouse roller.

And to give the appropriate code for looking for them in direct code. As a bonus with the keyboard reader, you get to see the ASCII of the keypress additionally, although you can certainly search for stat(31)=="c" it will of course react on the C key being pressed, or its equivalent, \99

Although be careful with CTRL keystrokes. If you press CTRL+R for instance you will restart your program from the beginning, even if running a cart.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->