BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I leave here in the forums a copy of my entry to lowrezjam 2022, Aztec. Code ended up being really messy and there's a lot of things to fix/improve post-jam, but I thought it would be a nice addition to the BBS. It's multicart (has a loader companion) as I needed a bit of extra space in the main cartridge to fit everything.

Cart #aztec-1 | 2022-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tonatiuh, the Sun God is angry! The High Priest Tonauac has decided to invoke the Tanatiuh Cualo, the ritual that will eat the Sun God and placate his wrath, but to achieve it he needs the Jewel skulls to be placed in their right places in Tenochtitlan's Templo Mayor.

While he prepares for the ritual, he sends you, the Aztec prince Guatemoc, into the temple to search for the sacred skulls and place them in their pedestals. Beware the traps and misteries that protect the sacred grounds of the Temple!

Code, SFX & Art by SlainteES
Music & SFx by: VavMusicMagic

Find this game on itch: https://slaintees.itch.io/aztec

Issues and bugs to fix:

• Jumping whlie climbing continuously reattach you to the ladder if pressing a directional button
  • Some issues with "top of a ladder" state detection can cause you to drop from the top of a ladder
  • Some performance issues randomly due to suboptimal collision detection
  • If dying mid-air ocassionally the game does not make you land before actually dying (rare to happen)
  • Minor sync issues detecting activable objects (particularly Obsidian mirrors, that can be activated a bit earlier than they should)
  • Some more (yes... those again...) ladder issues can end up pushing you inside walls... 1 bugreport so far, but a nasty one... (Really... who decided ladders are cool?)

Fixed Issues:

• Reset DX velocity to 0 before respawn, you could "move" while respawning because it was not set to 0
23 comments

Cart #picohimesama-1 | 2022-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a small game jam shmup we created - hope you like it! Small updates in this final version.

3 comments

Cart #knutil_replace-1 | 2023-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Feature Overview

REPLACE() Replaces the specified string with the specified string.

• The first argument string replaces all matches to the second argument string with the third argument string.
  • After the fourth and fifth words, you can further specify the search match and the words to be replaced.
  • This function consumes 58 Token.
--"str" becomes "string for replace".
str = replace('[test] for replace', '[test]', 'string') 

This function is included in the KNUTIL library.

release note

v0.2

• multiple substitutions can be made with a single function call.

v0.1

• first release

5 comments

Cart #pico8gamepad-2 | 2022-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

old version

Cart #pico8gamepad-0 | 2022-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

8 comments

Hello, I posted about this on Reddit, but I thought people here would be interested as well. p8modem is a simple general-purpose virtual "modem" for communicating with WebSocket servers from within PICO-8 programs. I have written "picochat", a basic chat program, as a demonstration. You can find picochat here: http://p8modem.net/picochat/

p8modem is capable of sending and receiving packets of max length 128 to and from a WebSocket server. It only works when deployed as a web application, because it uses JavaScript to interact with the PICO-8's GPIO memory and relay packets to and from the server. You can find the source code for p8modem and picochat, as well as information on how to incorporate p8modem into your own programs, on GitHub: https://github.com/joshiemoore/p8modem

I'm happy to answer any questions. I would like to continue improving p8modem, and also meet people interested in using it to develop networked PICO-8 programs/games. Feel free to reach out if you're interested!

1 comment

Infinite Dungeon is in very early development. Expect many things to change.
It will be a, well, infinite dungeon. It will probably also have non-Euclidean generation to make sure you don't have to save a large dungeon map on your computer.

Cart #infinitedungeon-7 | 2022-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Current features:

• Multiple players
  • Camera that follows average position of all players
  • Flexible player count
  • Collisions
  • Cool Artwork
  • Bow (more coming soon, like arrow collisions, made by @biteco8
  • Sword
4 comments

Cart #icecream-0 | 2022-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made this small game in honor of the ice cream truck that continually circles my house in summer.

12 comments

Cart #celestial_defender-3 | 2022-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Celestial Defender

Save the universe from ancient celestial beings in this procedural shoot-m-up boss runner!

Or complete 24 custom missions ranging in difficulty from a walk in the park to a chaotic hell!

Controls:

• Use the arrow keys and Z to select Infinite Mode or a custom mission.
  • Use the arrow keys to dodge the celestial being's energy blasts

Based on a game my brother and I collaborated on a long while back, mostly to experiment with writing music.

Enjoy!

Update 8/13/2023:

• Added the excellent suggestion to make being closer to the enemy do more damage.
  • Added sound effects
8 comments

Cart #topdownai-0 | 2022-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is an example of how to do enemies that somewhat follow and try to seek the player.

It works like this:
- each enemy shoots sensors towards the player.
- if a sensor hits a wall, it gets deleted.
- if a sensor exceeds a set amount of time, it gets deleted.
- if a sensor hits the player, a position gets marked as a target for the enemy that emitted that sensor.
- enemies will move to their target positions.
- enemies will roam randomly when the player hasn't been detected.
- enemies have a fov: sensors are emitted only if they are inside the range of this fov.
- if the player gets too close to enemies, they will detect the player, regardless of their fov.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #yoto-1 | 2022-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-8 demake of an old Android game of mine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobloef.yoto.android

Changelog:

• v1.01: Fixed the score only counting on the first run.
3 comments

(v01 08-12-22)

Cart #background_input-1 | 2022-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #background_input .

I had recently received a bit of traffic regarding an old input routine I made found HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31598

so I decided to rewrite it entirely, so it is not coded with GOTO and interrupt main code but made it so it can run in the background additionally.

This means it uses the conventional _update() function and you call it by changing one variable called INPUT to a string value.

Then the input engages - and the rest of your code can continue to run around it. In fact for this demo you can use the arrow keys to move the rainbow circle even as you are typing !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #assigned_fighter_at_birth-10 | 2023-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
your base class
is who you are.
your base class
is your role in the world party.
everyone is assigned
their base class at birth.
this maintains
the balance of the world party.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Assigned Fighter At Birth:

Play as Josie, the sister of the Hero of Light, on a journey to stop your brother from obtaining the crystals of the elements!

Fight against your foes in a lively, simple-to-learn, hard-to-master battle system.

Grow a party of memorable and funny friends along your journey.

Controls:

Arrow Keys/Left Stick
Z key/A button: Confirm
X key/B button: Back/Skip/Forfeit

Made in two months for the Trans Representation Game Jam 2022.

Loving thanks to:

My friends and family
The kind folks who tested the game
The Pico-8 Discord community

Update 8/13

-new title screen
-fixed some weird apostrophe spacing in the dialogue
-added forfeit (hold X during fights)
-fewer options during first few fights, to help w learning the battle system
-balancing
-added turnqueue
-moved commitment tutorial text earlier

Update 8/14

-show hp/max hp in battle
-more tutorial text
-added chapter select menu to title
-turns are now not based on commitment level
-fixed crash with thief

Update 8/15

-more balancing
-nerf smash attack a little
-fixed bug with singing animation
-fixed bug with area-of-effect action animations
-various balancing/map redesign

15 comments

Cart #djclem_helimenu-8 | 2022-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Things you may find interesting about this cart set:

Sound Effects

The helicopter rotor sound consists of these four notes:

They play in a loop, and as helicopter throttle and rotor "pitch" change, poke commands are used to alter the speed and tone of the notes:

if heli_sound==10 then  -- SFX 10 is the continuous rotor sound
  -- deltax is used to determine how much
  -- rotor 'slap' to add
  local deltax=heli_xspdtgt-heli.xspd

-- rotor slap changes the volume
  -- of the two notes (noise)
  -- the more tilt the heli has,
  -- the more pronounced the 'slap' is
  local rotorslap=({[0]=0x53,0x53,0x55,0x57,0x59})[abs(heli.tilt)]

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=115671#p)
6 comments

Cart #greendog2022-0 | 2022-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

For https://itch.io/jam/lowrezjam-2022. Put your herding skills to the test by trying to chase a thousand people into the highlighted area as a giant green dog. Move with the mouse, click to bark.

Art & design by my kids.

0 comments

After way longer time than planned, here's the first Demo from this upcoming cart.

Cart #pdemo1-0 | 2022-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This includes the first level and is only focused on getting feedback on controls/platforming (there's no sword fighting).
There's a kind of "auto hanging" when possible (unlike the original game where you had to press to hang) this will be optional in the final game.

If you die or exit the level you have to restart the cart.

Controls:

⬆️..........................Climb up ledge
⬇️..........................Crouch / climb down ledge (if located close behind Prince)/ Pick up sword or potions
⬅️ or ➡️.................Run left / right
❎(X) + ⬅️ or ➡️.....Walk left / right (finer control, backs off from ledges the first time, walks through spikes)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

PICO-8 User Manual

PICO-8 v0.2.4c
https://www.pico-8.com

Author(s)

Joseph White // [email protected]

Edited by

@DOJI13

PICO-8 is built with:

SDL2 http://www.libsdl.org
Lua 5.2 http://www.lua.org // see license.txt
ws281x by jgarff // see license.txt
GIFLIB http://giflib.sourceforge.net/
WiringPi http://wiringpi.com/
libb64 by Chris Venter
miniz by Rich Geldreich
Latest version of the OG manual (as html, txt) and other resources:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php?page=resources

▨ Welcome to PICO-8!

PICO-8 is a fantasy console for making, sharing and playing tiny games and other computer programs. When you turn it on, the machine greets you with a shell for typing in Lua programs and provides simple built-in tools for creating sprites, maps and sound.

The harsh limitations of PICO-8 are carefully chosen to be fun to work with, encourage small but expressive designs and hopefully to give PICO-8 cartridges their own particular look and feel.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #monsterhunter-1 | 2022-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

There are rumors...

About a monster...

And you have been summoned to kill it!

But first, you have to find it!

Welcome to this forsaken land...

There is a lot of ground to cover...

Every part of the map can be visited. Explore different locations, such as villages...

farms...

cemeteries...

caves...

and towers!

But beware! There are creatures everywhere! You have a pistol to defend yourself. It can be useful for simpler animals, such as snakes and wolves... but can it handle more dangerous creatures?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

If you play this game, all that comes up is "Theres nothing here..." (And thats all there is- look at the code). But then, how is there a custom cover image?

It's simple: You don't have to update your cover image (w/ F7) with your code.

Just comment all/most your code, make a cover sprite, show it, press F7, uncomment code, remove the sprite showing up, and boom. You easily have made a cover image that isn't accessible from the game itself. I'm probably not the first person to find this out, but it does work and I found it on my own, so I'm writing this.

EDIT: To remove the console, put the sprite drawing into a _DRAW() loop, that should work better.

1 comment

The classic game Snake.
The code is well commented, and under the Creative Commons license, so you are free to learn/reuse code for your own games.
I have put this under the category Tutorials, however it could also be a Cartridge

The code has support for any size boundary, including changing the camera.
Because PICO-8 does not have autocorrect, I wrote boundry instead of boundary. Sorry!

v1.1 Hotfix fixes an issue where you would get a runtime error upon hitting a wall.

The correct version is now shown.

Cart #snaek-1 | 2022-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Yes, I realize the cart id is "snaek"

1 comment

Cart #bobcoterminal-0 | 2022-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BobCo(TM) Terminal v1.0

I'm pretty sure somebody already tried this, but I didn't want to spoil the fun for myself by seeing somebody else's great work before having my own go at it.

How?

For everybody who hasn't played fallout: You have to guess the correct password by choosing from a set number of passwords. If you get it wrong the terminal tells you how similar the password you chose was to the password that you have to guess.

Controls:
ARROWS UP/DOWN + X

Why?

I replayed some Fallout in the last weeks(that I spent without the internet(damn you, internet providers)) and fell in love with their take on the retro-styled terminal.
I also thought it would be a nice exercise to get comfortable with string manipulation. And then I had to stop myself before it got too messy.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->