BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I was going through some old code and discovered a change in behavior. Previously (version 0.2.3 and earlier?), if you did sub(str,1,nil), you would get the full string. Now, you only get the first letter of that string. I believe the recent API update for optimization is incorrectly evaluating nil args as 0, both for start and end.

This behavior was useful if you wanted to have a table of string lengths for tokenized text display, as in ?sub(dialog,1,dialog_token[time]). Once the time var had reached above the size of the dialog_token table, the default table nils had the same behavior as showing the full string. I can fix with a min(#dialog_token,...), so not crucial, but the old behavior feels more intuitive to me.

6 comments

left and right to move, X to jump and O or Z to scream

Cart #cakelizarddemo-0 | 2022-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi it's me again, I meant to post this earlier in the week but I only just got round to adding some sound effects and the scream button.

It's not finished, it's just a demo right now. I wanted to experiment with making a basic but cute character, so I made a little lizard and immediately fell in love with him. This is mostly just to show off the animations as I had no ideas for a game, and also to get a bit more practice with pico 8 as I'm still very new to it.

It took me way longer than it should have done because I've been distracted with all sorts of stuff lately but I'm very pleased with my little lizard who lives in a cake land.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #balls-3 | 2022-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi there!

"Balls" is a simple juggling simulator made with love for Pico-8 (My daughter helped with the graphics!). I'm new to programming, and the code may be a little messy as I've pieced it together over time while learning new things.

The balls are generated randomly (within certain conditions), so – much like real-life multitasking – this may result in some unfortunately impossible scenarios.

Have fun!

7 comments

Hey there,

Seems I can't get the cursor keys, Home, PgUp, PgDn, End etc to work on my laptop.

It's working for everything else, so "maybe" this is a PICO-8 issue? I've tried a variety of NumLock on, NumLock off, shift key down, Fn key down etc... No luck !

I do think this is something with PICO-8, as all other applications are fine.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5.

Hope you can help :)

3 comments

Cart #wasddraw-5 | 2022-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

draw with ⬆️⬅️⬇️➡️🅾️❎

❎=yes/no,🅾️=on/off
!"ctrl+c", "ctrl+v" in menu item will not working properly in phone. hit ctrl+v before use the "ctrl+v".

(things in the green rect is not included in this cart.)
"ctrl+c" menuitem with a gif snowman will copy this code to clipboard.

circfill(64,90,21,12)
circfill(63,63,11,7)

wasddraw-2:fix tracedrw bug. 3:change "ctrl+c objs", "ctrl+v objs" string form. 4:fix typo 5:add export/import png.
big parts of import/export png codes were originally written at #gesadupito-2

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Care 4 Strays

Feed and cure our little wandering friends!

Disclaimer: Most of the Sprites/Code used are taken through tutorials, videos and lots of chatting/suggestion/debugging from fellow Pico8ers.
A big thank you to anyone involved!

ToDo

Code

1. Win condition - end game
  2. Code cleanup/refactoring

Sprites

1. Distinguish hungry from ill Cat sprites
  2. Create more flora sprites (grass, flowers, trees)

Map

1. Revamp map
  2. Create more levels (seasonal)

Music & Sounds

1. Create theme
  2. Sounds for Player interactions

Known Bugs

1. Sometimes after Player movement, its sprite does not reset to default (no 10)
  2. Animated tiles epic cat bug (to be recorded)

v1.0 (initial commit):

Cart #care_for_strays_v1-0 | 2022-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #guzonawasi-8 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first video game. Shoot the weeds. Press Z to shoot. Weeds you don't shoot in time will build up to the left, cutting off your area to work in. You lose if weeds pile up all the way to the right.

Fill the combo meter by hitting shots without missing to get a multiplier.

You can also choose from a cast of characters from movies, tv shows, pop culture, etc.

NEXT STEPS
Basically just more music and sound at this point, and filling out the title screen some more.

10 comments

yet again, a remix I made in my spare time
enjoy!

Cart #nsmbcastle-0 | 2022-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

I created 7 extremly simple gifs, one for each day of the week:

Monday:

Cart #monday_gif-0 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tuesday:

Cart #tuesday_gif-0 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Wednesday:

Cart #wednesday_gif-0 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #fruit_drop-0 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey,
this is my first Game with PICO-8. So I am not the best, and it would be helpful to write your Opinion about the Game and what I can improve.
Controls:
right or Left D-pad to go with the player
X for a boost
O to start the Game

Thanks for playing my Game.

4 comments

Cart #kikosabara-1 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been trying to implement the AStar example from Picozine issue 3, but it looks like I messed it up, the path doesn't look right to me.
I'll gladly take some pointers as to why this is and how to fix it.

0 comments

Cart #tutankham-0 | 2022-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 version of the 1982 Konami arcade game.

How to Play

Collect keys to access locked areas of each tomb and reach the exit door.

Your laser can only fire left and right so don't get trapped in vertical tunnels.

Collect as much treasure as quickly as possible.

Controls

[Z] and [X] - Laser

[Z] + [X] - Smart bomb (one per life)

Thanks To

• Finn for testing
  • Paul Niven for refining my pixel graphics
  • jadelombax for logo renderer

Version History

0.80 - 23-Jul-2022 - Released

16 comments

I've created a cart minification & linting tool in python - Shrinko8:

https://github.com/thisismypassport/shrinko8

If you don't want to download anything, or want to use a UI - you can use the webapp here:
https://thisismypassport.github.io/shrinko8/

Otherwise, see the github link for details on how to download & use the tool.

Features

• It can do aggressive minification to reduce the token count, the character count, and the compressed size of a cart, giving meaningfully better results than other known tools like p8tool or GEM.

• (E.g. in one example, a 81,416 char cart went to 31,213 chars with shrinko8, 35,563 chars with p8tool (though p8tool didn't run on it without having to do some hacks), and 40,813 chars with GEM.)

• It can do linting, aka reporting of issues that may indicate bugs in your code, such as undefined, unused and duplicate local variables.

• It supports all pico8 syntax and globals, including modern ones (as of the time of writing, but I do plan to update it when needed).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

Cart #yihobehuyu-0 | 2022-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hi!

I've been using Visual Studio Code as an external editor, but I'm having trouble setting up formatting.
I installed Pollywog Games' PICO-8 extension which is working fine.
However, I have been failing to configure the editor to auto-format my files. When I try the command Format Document, a dialog pops up saying "There is is no formatter for [pico-8|pico-8-lua] files installed".
Apparently, no such formatter is listed on the extensions marketplace.

Would you have any solutions to suggest, or custom settings examples to share?

0 comments

nothing much, just another remix

Cart #smwathleticredone-0 | 2022-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

(v02 07-21-22)

Cart #dialog-2 | 2022-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #dialog

VVHAT'S NEW ?

• Updated demo slightly.

As I continue to work on my main Pico-8 program, I thought I would share with you one of the functions I wrote specifically for notifications.

You've probably seen it yourself, you attempt to close NOTEPAD without saving your work and you get a notice prompting you to save your file first.

Well this is my answer for Pico-8 as it does not have one. Now if @zep does decide to make a function that can do a dialog frame with input, I'd be all for it. Until then you have this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #p_mouse-0 | 2022-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

i have a question.
if we make the player & opponent sprites smaller in PNP, could we theoretically have space for sprites for use in the background? (maybe if this could work, pnp_compress wouldn't be needed, but this is a question so i don't fully know)

0 comments

Fish n' a Barrel

Cart #fishinabarrel-8 | 2022-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A very WIP Enter the Gungeon inspired twin stick shooter. The code is horribly messy right now, so brace yourself before looking.

New in v1.8

• settings screen actually works
  • better ui

New in v1.7

• enemies have health instead of getting instakilled
  • start of a settings screen

New in v1.6

• death animation for enemies
  • better displays/UI

New in v1.5

• controls are customizable in pause menu
  • custom controls are persistent

New in v1.4

• you now strafe when holding the fire button (O)
  • fixed weird bug with pressing X

New in v1.3

• more enemies
  • a title screen(ish)
  • enemies animate when spawning instead of just appearing

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->