BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zogodimoba-0 | 2022-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple version of Conway's Game of Life using the map and mget functions. It assumes toroidal boundary conditions and always starts as a random grid.

0 comments

Cart #para_magnified-0 | 2022-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a graphics and sound demo I put together over the past few days.

Trifill function (p01):
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31478

Custom font tool (zep): #font_snippet

0 comments

Cart #madelinefault-6 | 2023-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(update by me changing the summit to look slightly better)
(update by @Scrubz to make gemskip possible!)

36 comments

Dungleon

Can you discover today's dungeon in 6 attempts?
Some of the dungeon's secret rules are given to you and the rest you will discover over time.
For an optional challenge, make sure you reuse your close and correct guesses in your next guess.

Cart #dungleon-4 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to Play

Modes

Daily Single - Classic one dungeon per day
Daily Eight - Eight dungeons per day

Note: The game's randomiser is seeded so that everyone sees the same puzzles each day.

Game Controls

Arrows - Move cursor around the board
O - Make selection
X - Delete selection

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

seed*bomb::proto is a solarpunk puzzle adventure set in the ruins of an abandoned mall. use seed bombs and permaculture principles to solve ecosystem puzzles in a post-capitalist landscape.

Cart #seed_bomb-0 | 2022-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #clokfall-0 | 2022-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just something I was experimenting with this afternoon.

1 comment

When exporting a game to a binary format (.exe, etc), the manual says:

> To include an extra file in the output folders and archives, use the -E switch:

> > EXPORT -E README.TXT MYGAME.BIN

I tried this (pico8 game.p8 -export "-f game.bin -e examples/ -e samples/") but it doesn't include those subfolders. If I -e examples/kick.pcm, then that file is included, but it's included at the top level, and not in an "examples" subfolder

Am I doing this wrong somehow? I assume this just isn't supported (yet? fingers crossed)

1 comment

Cart #teddytrustbuster-0 | 2022-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game was created in less than a week as my AP US History final project. It's also my first released Pico-8 game. I used the following program as a basis for the movement system: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27626

The game features Teddy Roosevelt as the player character, who was elected in 1901, fighting a bear labeled J.P. Morgan. Morgan was the first person "busted" by Teddy's Sherman Anti-Trust act. This act was not designed to break up all monopolies, but only the ones that Teddy considered bad for the American people. Furthermore, the bad trusts being depicted as a bear that Teddy had to fight was a common trope in political cartoons of the time. Teddy also carries around a big stick in my game, as reference to his "Big Stick Diplomacy", which was to be very polite and diplomatic, but also to be militarily strong enough that no one would try to anger you.

0 comments

Cart #lightbulbsim-0 | 2022-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Press and hold (X). The light switch doesn't go in all the way, so you'll have to hold it.
This is my first project, and I was testing the hardware out.

1 comment

Cart #memorypuzzle_0-0 | 2022-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #roroyofrogue-2 | 2022-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

use arrow keys to jump along the lily pads!

if you are fast you can jump twice on lily pads :-)

this game has 22 stages, you can beat them all if you try!

(created for Mini Jam 106 on itch.io)

1 comment

PICO Composer v0.3

Changes

2022-06-15:

• Set default tempo to 120 bpm
  • Set default time signature to 4/4
  • Implemented exporter and importer code

2022-06-06:

• Fixed display code which wasn't properly accounting for sharps causing notes to eventually be drawn offscreen.

Cart #picomposer-5 | 2022-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

PICO Composer main menu

When you start the cart you'll be prompted to load an album or create a new one. Use the up/down arrow keys to navigate the menu and enter to select. Either, or both, of the tempo and time signature can be left blank and you'll be given the defaults of 120 bpm and a 4/4 time signature. Any time signature that can't be parsed properly will default to 4/4.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #eatsushi-1 | 2022-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

not a game. spinning triangle cart.
how to play: 🅾️ or ❎ to eat. 🅾️❎ to burp. or quit.
inspired: play "alone in pico" cart, tried to render triangle and made this.

0 comments

Answer: Quite a few! But you probably have better options.

I've previously seen PICO-8 decoders for hex and base-64 strings. Recently I was curious: which base is most efficient? There are a lot more possibilities than just 16 or 64, and I knew PICO-8's code compression would affect the actual efficiency.

So I ran an experiment.

The experiment: I wrote a script to generate a bunch of .p8 files containing random data, and I exported them all through PICO-8 v0.2.2c to see how long the random data could get before PICO-8 would complain. The random data was in the form of strings in a given base: e.g., for base 16, the cart's entire program was x="(random hex string)". I generated these carts from base 2 (just "0" and "1") up to base 92 (almost every printable ASCII character). I ran several trials for each base because using random strings causes some variation in the measurements. I then counted the theoretical information content of each string (e.g., log-base-2 of the alphabet size) and converted the average for each base to kilobytes.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Saving a project with save @url at https://www.pico-8-edu.com/ does not include the map.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open https://www.pico-8-edu.com/
  2. Type load
  3. Select a cartridge with a map, for example
    Cart #wadajugupi-0 | 2022-05-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4. Type save @url
  5. Copy the URL in the browser and open in a new tab. (URL in my case)
  6. Observe that the map data is missing (code and sprites are not missing)

Expected result

In 6, I expect the map data to be present like in the original cartridge and in step 3.

3 comments

Cart #yosobegupo-0 | 2022-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

@MBoffin

0 comments

Cart #aventurebr-0 | 2022-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

thanks @MBoffin by tutorial

1 comment

I was doing some table comparing logic like so:

local a,b = {},{}
local t = a

if not t==b then
 ?"!",7
end

And using the not operator can trip you up cause it's not testing against the whole bool==bool (I think..?)
but instead (not bool)==bool!
Anyways I was stuck on this problem for hours and I wanted to let other's be aware if they're not.
Thanks to @pancelor for figuring it out and helping me.
(it turns out I just wanted to do

if t~=b then
end

)

0 comments

Cart #gurda-13 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #castle_adventure-0 | 2022-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->