BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zomboslash-0 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

POSSIBLE EPILEPSY WARNING FOR SLASHING ANIMATION. I WILL WORK ON THAT AS SOON AS AM ABLE.

This game is a work in progress. Basically a twin-stick shooter but you have a sword instead of a gun. Zombies with green dots restore health when hit.

I'm honestly not sure what to add next. I'm really happy with the general feel of this gameplay, though.

All suggestions welcome! (But please understand if my code is bad lol)

----CONTROLS----
ESDF to move
Mouse to aim
Click to slash

Thanks to anyone who plays!

3 comments

Cart #p_bday_2022-0 | 2022-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hey, can one of you solve this ? It doesn't make sense to me.

This code:

function doit(x,y,d,r,c)local b,e,h,v,a=x,x-r,y if d==1then b=y e=y-r h=x elseif d==2then e=x+r elseif d==3then b=y e=y+r h=x end for i=b,e,sgn(e-b)*2do a=b-i
if(d==2or d==3)a=i-b
end
end

Runs correctly. THIS code, however, does not. All I did was move the if(d==2 or d==3) to the line above.

function doit(x,y,d,r,c)local b,e,h,v,a=x,x-r,y if d==1then b=y e=y-r h=x elseif d==2then e=x+r elseif d==3then b=y e=y+r h=x end for i=b,e,sgn(e-b)*2do a=b-i if(d==2or d==3)a=i-b
end
end

I get a SYNTAX error.

Any ideas on what the problem is ?

10 comments

Due to the weird way that SteamOS is set up, there are some frustrating compatibility issues that I will explain.

In SteamOS, the system partition is locked to read only, rendering pacman, aur, and yay totally unusable. You can run a command to make it read-write, but you run into the following issues

• There is a very small amount of available space to install apps on the system partition
  • The system partition is wiped every SteamOS update (and made read-only again)

So while you can potentially make the system partition read-write, install PICO-8 via yay, and then repeat that process every single time SteamOS updates, it essentially isn't practical.

So, the alternative option would be to just download the PICO-8 files, extract them to an arbitrary location (like ~/Games in my case), and set the "pico8" file to have execute permissions. This kinda works, with the notable exception being Splore. Splore relies on wget for its networking functionality. Unfortunately, wget is not pre-installed in SteamOS, and cannot be installed normally due to the above mentioned issues using pacman and such. I tried various methods of taking a local wget executable and trying to locally add it to PATH, though no method succeeded in it being recognized by PICO-8 Splore.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Cart #combine_table-0 | 2022-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Feature Overview

COMB() combines two tables to create a hash table.

• Returns the joined table.
  • The two arguments must be tables of index arrays.
  • The argument is nondestructive.
  • Hash tables are not in constant order. (This is a Lua specification.)
  • This function consumes 26 Token.
local keys={'name','species','home','skill'}
local values={'ruth','fox','port town','kon-psi'}

local charcter=comb(keys,values)

may want to Use DMP() if check the converted table.
This function is included in the KNUTIL library.

0 comments

Cart #picochill-1 | 2022-03-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

From the album Pico & Chill - a collection of seven ambient and lo-fi inspired tracks. (Bandcamp]

The idea for this album started in February 2021, when I posted some lo-fi inspired music, originally written for a Pico-8 game. Comments were encouraging. I was also interested in exploring ambient structures in Pico-8, and thought they would pair nicely with lo-fi music.

Thanks to Zep for the incredibly cute (and meta!) artwork and animation. I love everything about it. There's about 40mins of animation, which can be seen in the YouTube video:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Im trying to make an inverse or reverse for this function to countdown. How do I make a countdown timer?

function _update()
print(time())
if time() >= 10 then
time=0
end
end

2 comments

Cart #logicalpickle-0 | 2022-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Part of the ooooggll box game pack):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/639317807/

A pickle-themed Logic Pic Demake with 16 levels, some of them based off PICO-8 games I like!
For instance, Celeste, Jelpi, and Feed the Ducks. But all credits are inside the cart.
Except for Meep. Thanks to Meep for inventing penguins.

If you haven't ever played Logic Pic or a similar game before, I would recommend trying one of them first, since there is no real tutorial in-game.

This does require a mouse to play, so make sure you have one of those.

7 comments

Cart #oatmealadventure-1 | 2022-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
Arrow keys - Walk
X - Inventory
C - Pull box

Technically this is my "first" PICO-8 game. It's the one I started on first, and I finally finished it. Mostly it was for me to learn how to use PICO-8 but I ended up making it into a full game thing. Just don't look into the code though, it's pretty bad.

Story:
You need to acquire the Oatmeal Amulet from the dungeon to heal your sick brother, but there's no way to get into the dungeon without a key! You need the Old Man to help you get in the dungeon... then escape unharmed!

Thanks to Dylan Bennett for the tutorial, but I went quite a bit beyond that.

1 comment

Cart #scrollesteupgrade-0 | 2022-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Scrolleste, but without lava and with stars and with checkpoints and better colored ground and hair and sky once you get the gem, and also I added the lava back.

Also known as Scrolleste Upgrade.

This mod (technically a mod of my own mod of someone else's mod of Celeste) was meant more as practice for PICO-8 and Celeste modding, than as an actual quality mod. Better mod(s) coming soon though.

Modes:
Normal - No lava, checkpoints at Old Site, gem chest, and at the summit.
Yolo - No lava, but no checkpoints. If you die you go back to the beginning.
Lava Yolo - No checkpoints, lava added back. Basically the classic Scrolleste but with new graphics.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #demo-0 | 2022-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #field_of_view-4 | 2022-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, type in immediate mode: load #field_of_view

VVHAT'S NEW ?

• made them all tweetcard sized functions!
  • made beam bigger.
  • allows for different types of beams.
  • made beam comparison smaller and faster code,
  • uses less cpu.

I have coded this so the two primary elements of drawing the beam and checking to see if there is a collision with the beam are now small functions.

The drawbeam() function for instance is 280-characters and the inbeam() function is 225-characters which returns TRUE if there is a collision.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pandaandchristmas-0 | 2022-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi all, I just finished up my first game for PICO-8. It's a cute little walking simulator featuring Panda, Christmas Attack Snowman, and the True Meaning of Christmas!

Also on itch.io

I started out by trying to replicate the tree effect from Duck Duck on the Loose by stacking circles with perspective. Once I had that working, I made a few sprites to fit into my little world, and it kinda just snowballed from there.

2 comments

Thank you for checking out my very first game!

I am 9 years old and my Dad is helping me.

Cart #robohefato-0 | 2022-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

It's pretty simple! Just use the up, down, left and right keys move your character through the maze.

Game Play

The goal is to retrieve the flag and bring it back to the door at the start of the maze before time runs out.

There is a loaf of bread that you can pick up to leave breadcrumbs. If you walk over breadcrumbs that you've already dropped, they look different so you can see where you have backtracked.

Also placed in the maze are a couple of axes can be used to break walls by running into them while holding the axe.

Keep in mind that the axes break after a certain amount of time, so use them wisely!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Press Enter to Spawn some Enemies.

Cart #ud-5 | 2022-04-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

11 comments

Cart #dambi2-3 | 2022-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Minor bugfixes

• Pressing O to skip the last cutscene didn't reset the game
  • One of the levels had an unintended moving platform

About

Dambi was running low of the essential winter supplies, and she decides to raid the nearby snowmen's den. After all, they're natural competition for the same ecological niche.

This is a sequel to Dambi Gest Ready for Winter, and as such it looks quite similar with the recycled assets all over the place. Gameplay-wise, it's quite different as the enemies now actively chase Dambi. These snowmen are the first enemies in my games that can go around obstacles and chase the player -- not in the most efficient manner, but still.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

The PICO-8 help command should mention the option key instead of alt key on macOS.

2 comments

PICO-8 doesn't have the .p8 file type registered to it on macOS. This means I can't double click a .p8 file to launch it and other conveniences associated with a registered filetype.

6 comments

Cart #retro_race-1 | 2022-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In this game you will have to avoid as many cars as possible to realize the best score, with different game modes.

The game is located before What The void and Card Hell in the timeline.

Have fun !

====================

Dans ce jeu vous aller devoir esquiver le plus de voiture possible afin d'avoir le plus gros score possible avec différent mode de jeu présent.

Le jeu se trouve juste avant What The void et Card Hell dans la timeline.

Amusez vous !

====================

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->