BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zayufegebo-0 | 2021-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #flippingout-0 | 2021-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART in immediate mode, type: load #flippingout

I am having great difficulty coding the game I am working on using conventional _update() method - to keep track of all the elements, some of which need to lock the controls and flow for a tight loop, others of which open up the main system again.

For instance, I want to have a scene where you might animate something from point A to point B. Play a sound while that animation is taking place, wait until the sound is completed, then animate point B to C. I wrote some sample code. While my game has little to do with this demo, the loop constructs are very similar and just as complex.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #levyaperdusatuque-0 | 2021-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #yugiwohen-0 | 2021-12-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a remake of an old Flash game I used to enjoy.
Here's an URL to the Author's Boomshine page: https://k2xl.com/#/games/boomshine

Anyway, one of the best things about the game was the music, but I struggle with the sound/music part. So, if anyone wants to create the music that would be great! Here's a working version of the game online (I'm assuming it's some kind of Flash emulator): https://www.addictinggames.com/strategy/boomshine

Also, my sound effects are pretty crappy too.

Another thing that bothers me is how much the game slows down once we reach 40 balls at the screen at a time. I've gone over everything and I've narrowed it down to the following function.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #geometry_wars-1 | 2022-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Demake in progress of Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, one of my favorite games of all time.

This uses twin-stick shooter input conventions, and I strongly recommend playing it with a dual-analog gamepad using Pinput, either with the native desktop PICO-8 player and a native Pinput build, or using the Firefox or Chrome extensions for Pinput to play it here on the BBS website.

However, you can now also play with two alternate schemes other than Pinput's analog gamepad support. The game will ask you at startup and save your input preferences, but you can always change it from the pause menu.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #denisbricks-0 | 2021-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello

So this is my first ever Pico-8 game. The last time I tried to make a game of any sort was about 20 years ago when I developed a series of simple shooters in Macromedia Flash. This time, I chose to make a simple puzzle game as my first project, because I though it would allow me to get to programming quickly, without worriying too much about producing graphical assets. I only came up with any rules after I programmed the coursor movement and gravity for the bricks, so this game is definitely not the best in terms of game design, but it was only supposed to get me started.

Controls

Use arrow keys to move the coursor around. Press Z to switch the orientation of coursor. Press X to flip the two bricks under the coursor.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #orbittest-0 | 2021-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

orbiting particles

1 comment

Pico Toon Adventures

First test, a demo of a demake of my favourite genesis game, Buster's Hidden Treasure
still a lot I want to add but wanted to try out how some things worked, also collision
is still a bit wonky, sorry about that

Cart #picotoons-0 | 2021-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #magic8bitdither-3 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART in immediate mode, type out: load #magic8bitdither

(12-30-21) VVhat's new ?

✅ Clean-up of code.
✅ Took the older hollow pictures and replaced them with new better looking ones.
✅ Increased number to 40-pictures. My goal is 50, I'm not there yet !
✅ Press 🅾️ or ❎ to hide/reveal information.

Make it a game for your friends. Hide information panel and go through the 40-pics, see if they can correctly identify each by reveal and hide.

OLDER NOTES

As Christmas is rapidly approaching I thought I would take one of my older holiday programs and rewrite it from scratch and greatly improve upon the original code using near 8-bit compression instead of earlier 6-bit.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #multball-0 | 2021-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

I just had my computer crash as I was testing code. I had not saved it for an hour but was running it quite often. Before my computer crashed I had just run the program 1-minute prior.

Found my code despite not having saved for an hour.

At first I couldn't find it searching \backup\ for DI which is the beginning two characters of my code.

So then I searched by date and FOUND it. The filename is encoded inside \backup\ using the following notation:

1111 22 33 4 555555 6 7.. 8

1. The first 4-digits are the YEAR.
  2. The next 2-digits are the MONTH.
  3. The next 2-digits are the DAY (01-31).
  4. There is a single underline character.
  5. Then - I'm not sure, it appears to be a 6-digit ID code. It is definitely not the hour and minutes. The higher the ID # though then the more recent copy you saved.
  6. There is another underline.
  7. Then the remaining characters are the name of your project that you saved initially.
  8. The extension is .p8

. . .

So there you have it ! As long as you have saved your program once and run it once \backup\ will save a copy every time you RUN or execute your program.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #duckpond-3 | 2021-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Cart #spiralfun969-1 | 2021-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a fun little thing, first time using program.

0 comments

The new poke to set map start cannot be applied to 0x20.
eg:

— does nothing :[
poke(0x5f56, 0x24)

for small maps, the 0x2000 ‘hardware’ map area cannot be reached in full:

— hw map
poke(0x5f56, 0x20)
— say tiles are starting after a large 32x32 map
— set width
poke(0x5f57, 2)
— yikes, cannot set y offset (>256)
poke(0x5f3b, 32*32\2)
0 comments

Cart #autofire-1 | 2022-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART IN PICO-8, type in immediate mode: load #autofire

VVhat's new ?
(01-07-22)
✅ Added menu to reload after selecting an option instead of closing like earlier.

There have been many Pico-8 game players wanting to have autofire ability, mostly for shooters and auto-selection RPG choices, and in some cases players want to be able to swap the O and X buttons.

Well this program has a foundation that is about as simple as you can get.

In it you use 6-single key variables, ⬅️ ➡️ ⬆️ ⬇️ 🅾️ ❎ which can be easily typed in Pico-8 source-code by holding down the shift key and pressing any of L R U D O X which will appear as a special non-ASCII character.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Okay so, I'm not sure if this is a bug per se, but it is quite an anomaly and it's annoying & concerning me.

I am trying to work on an annual cart I make after several years(!?) of not keeping up with PICO-8 and this little... doodad keeps popping up in the corner when I run the cart.

screenshot of doodad

This little 9-squared square keeps flashing/spinning in the corner with pink, white & blue dots.

It seems to show up after about 5 or 6 seconds no matter what I do (okay, and now I just noticed that some terrible hack which used to work is not working anymore... hmm).

So, I am asking, WHAT IS IT??? Why is it showing up? And will it show up in HTML exports/on the BBS?

I should note, in case it's relevant, that the cart doesn't use _update or _draw, and makes use of a lot of repeat until condition.

4 comments

@zep, could you PLEASE remove or give an option to remove the warning message that appears only in this newest 0.2.4 version of Pico-8 that states the following everytime I boot or type REBOOT:

WARNING: RUNNING BELOW 30FPS

Remember we can always press CTRL+P during runtime to see if frames-per-second is lagging in our code.

Thank you.

0 comments

Cart #stacking_king-0 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Stack boxes
Aim for the gates
The higher the better!

This is my first pico-8 game
It is inspired by a game I played ten years ago called folder by @Morusque(I can't find a working version anymore).

5 comments

Cart #big_shot-0 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I did a thing.

5 comments

Cart #evan_the_astronaut_2-4 | 2021-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game where you fly around and collect planets (and comets, if you can catch them). My target audience is mostly my 3-year old son, who also liked the original Evan the Astronaut. This cart started from the Stars & Space tutorial by Liquidream.

Originally the controls were relative (left/right buttons to turn, like Asteroids), but my son had trouble figuring that out. I switched to cardinal directions by default. I find the latter more intuitive on a controller, but prefer the relative controls on keyboard. It can be changed in the options.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->