BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #phonemes-0 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

More experiments from reading over H2Obsession's deconstruction of SAM. I also attempted to implement more phonemes than this, but not all of them sounded right.

0 comments

lzw
by GPI
Cart #lzw-1 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I have translated and extend the lua code from here
https://rosettacode.org/wiki/LZW_compression
I tried to reduce the token count, but I wouldn't surprised when someone will shrink it more.

lzw is the codec that for example gif use, it was patented, but it expired 2004.
more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lempel%E2%80%93Ziv%E2%80%93Welch

I tested the code with the JELPI-Graphic&Sound data - and it will compress it to 6094 Bytes (from 17152 - ~36%).

With the next update the high-memory above 0x8000 will be useable (at the moment only with a undocumented poke), my plan is to place there 32kbit of graphic and sound data. The problem is, that this memory is not saved and I don't want to store it in the source-code because it is too big.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #babyfeedingtimelol-0 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

made during paternity leave

1 comment

Cart #omfgbabyshark-0 | 2021-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

get out of my heaaaaaadddd

1 comment

Cart #halloween_horrors-1 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Banish the evil monsters from the house by putting out the magic candles.

Break ornaments, cups and other items about the house as you go for extra points.

Press left to play as Frankie or right to play as Philly: put out all the candles as fast as possible or with maximum destruction.

For a two player game with both kittens press X: beat the other kitten or work together to get the maximum score in the fastest time.

Controls

Player 1

Swipe/Hit: X, V, M (X on gamepad)

Jump: Up Arrow, Z, C, N (A on gamepad)

Left - Right: Left Arrow - Right Arrow

Drop down: Down Arrow

Player 2

Swipe/Hit: Q (X on gamepad)

Jump: E, Tab, W (A on gamepad)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #tasonimuki-0 | 2021-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART, in the Pico-8 immediate mode type out:

LOAD TASONIMUKI

@BGelais sometime ago had posted an interesting Pico-8 program that mimicked the unusual way Apple ][ graphics are accomplished.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38476

What I have done here is something quite different though. While the resolution is 128x128 pixels the actual storage of the screen is not 8192-bytes but 2048 bytes instead. 25% the size were you to break it down to bits of data. I am only emulating this.

To draw use the arrow keys to move the cursor. The (O) key will plot, the (X) key will clear that plot. Hold down (O) or (X) to draw lines by holding down arrow keys.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #moyidofera-0 | 2021-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey everyone! I made this very simple game as a test if I could start something and finish it, no matter how long it would take me. I'm happy with the result and had fun making it, hope you enjoy!

3 comments

it would be nice, when the poke() would return the address after the poke, like print() does.

for example:

adr=poke(adr,1)

should do the same as

poke(adr,1)
adr+=1

or

adr=poke2(adr,0xffff)

instead of

poke2(adr,0xffff)
adr+=2

or

str="abcdef"
adr = poke(adr,ord(str,1,#str))

instead

str="abcdef"
poke(adr,ord(str,1,#str))
adr+=#str
2 comments

Cart #bubble_trouble-7 | 2021-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bubble Trouble is a homage to Frozen Bubble and Puzzle Bobble.
Frozen Bubble got me though some long lectures in college so I thought it would be a perfect game for PICO-8. Now it can get me though some long meetings instead.

Features

• 20 hand-crafted levels
  • Randomly generated levels
  • Precision aiming
  • One-Handed mode (on the pause menu)
  • Bubbles
  • A penguin with a bubble cannon
  • Epic sprite rotation
  • Music that loops (but not every 6 seconds)
  • Explosions

I hope you enjoy!
[0x0]

21 comments

Cart #dropzone_081-0 | 2021-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my take on the 1984 classic by Archer Maclean.

Not a game I'd really played before so this is purely my interpretation.

Controls

The PICO-8 [O] button is Z on the keyboard.

[X] - Fire
[O] - Cloak or double-tap to use a smart bomb

Thanks To

Finn for testing
Paul Niven ( @NiVZ) for creating such a cool logo (again!)
PICO-8 for creating an awesome "fantasy console"

Version History

• 0.80 - 29-Oct-2021 - Released
  • 0.81 - 29-Oct-2021 - Camera tweaked to keep player more central etc
8 comments

GrassZone Halloween update

GrassZone 1.3

Cart #gzhalloween-1 | 2021-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play GrassZone here.

1 comment

I was messing around with the new p8scii memset command, and it sometimes crashes my console at weird times. once, it crashed when I did this:

?"\^!0000"

(i.e. using memset with an address but no actual arguments)

Another time I did a similar command and then did "reboot", and it crashed then

system info: pico-8 0.2.3 / windows 7

the error message:
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
> Please contact the application's support team for more information.

0 comments

Cart #g88_control_the_body-2 | 2023-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Control the Body

A game in which one is tasked to control a body.

This game will autosave your progress.

Also playable on https://gate.itch.io/control-the-body. You can check out my other games there.

Controls

Arrow keys -- move and rotate body
X -- hold breath
Z -- jump (only with shoes); hold to jump higher
Down -- interact/talk (context sensitive)
Enter -- pause menu

Pause Menu Options

Continue -- continue playing
SFX -- turn sound effects on or off
Music -- turn music on or off
Timer -- turn game timer on or off (useful for speedrunning)
Game Speed -- speed up or slow down the game; can be used as an accessibility option, but certain challenges can still be very difficult even at the lowest speed

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

A tiny port of Multistyle Labs' awesome demo Modern Love Classics!

Using all music and sprite space, this little recreation only has a cover of "Left Right" by Jammer, including the spinning face found in the original demo (converted to the tilemap with the help of Rilden) and a music visualizer based on code from the one made by Numzyx (under CC4-BY-NC-SA license), as well a title screen with music based on the original intro theme by Linus (without the swinged rhythm due to limitations).
An exit button was added since there is only one theme, so the demo is much shorter. This button allows you to access the title screen at any time during the main screen.

--Credits--

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #fobunokahe-3 | 2021-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my LAST game on Pico-8. Enjoy!

7 comments

The Story :
This is George.
George loves Halloween. Today is the big day, He leaves happily in his halloween costume in search of candy!
On his quest to gather all the candy he can, he knows that helping mistigri and gontran can only get him more of these delicious candy. the Catlover he is cannot help himself from letting this little cat crying. He's got to do something for this little creature. He has to rush into a manor and in no time find his way out.
Good luck getting George out of this maze of a manor!

:)

The Creators :
Four students from Ada Tech School Paris, this is our first video game( please bare with us lol )We got to publish the finished work. Two weeks of (suffering) project in one cartridge.

Amine, Camille FOL, Karine and Laure

1 comment

Cart #fapewuhapo-0 | 2021-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow keys to move, X to jump. Our first game made with actual code, made for our game design class.

2 comments

Cart #stealdrac-0 | 2021-10-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

STEAL DRACULA'S CANDY
A game made for the #TrickOrTreatJam hosted by Society of Play

Game by me, rose https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=9954 and Cherry https://cherry-cupid.itch.io/

2 comments

Hi all!

I'm one of the developers of Agora, an open-source project that allows anyone to sell files online.

Anyone can run Agora and host their own file store, and we also host our own instance at agora.download.

We would like to have special support for PICO-8 cartridges on Agora, and make the experience of buying and playing carts on Agora instances really good. We're very early in the process of supporting PICO-8 carts, and as a first step we need carts we can host.

Since we're not game developers ourselves, we wanted to reach out to the community here and see if anyone was interested in selling their carts on agora.download. We offer an 80%/20% revenue split, i.e. the cartridge author would keep 80% of the revenue, we would keep 20%.

Since this is an experiment, we're most interested in hosting and selling carts that are already written, and have no problem hosting carts that are freely available elsewhere. This wouldn't be any kind of exclusive agreement, and you could just ask us to stop hosting your carts at any time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

I found a potential bug with INFO+RESUME pico console commands. If you RESUME after calling INFO and then try to interact with a custom menu item, you get the following error:

ATTEMPT TO INDEX FIELD '?' (A NIL VALUE)
IN FLIP LINE 0 (TAB 0)
AT LINE 0 (TAB 0)

Example

Note: Ignore the second RESUME typed into the console after the program has already crashed

Sudden freeing of RAM after INFO+RESUME

Another curious thing is a huge RAM drop after INFO+RESUME (something getting GC'd that shouldn't be?). Notice the RAM display upon RESUME in this example (drops from 10% utilization to 7%):

Note: Ignore the second RESUME typed into the console after the program has already crashed

Steps to reproduce

• Load any cart with a custom menu item
  • Press ESC and type INFO into the console
  • Type RESUME
  • Press ENTER and select a custom menu item
0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->